Kobe needs to start at the 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject:

Dondre wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Kobe at the 3 has worked very well so far this preseason....
Why screw that up?

They lost every game with Kobe playing 3.

Kobe has been starting his entire life as a 2 and the last season of his career you want to put him at 3? I'm not overacting. Who ever tells me Kobe is better at 3 is full of crap. Every player is younger and faster than him at this stage. He only has a greater chance getting injured playing against bigger stronger players his 20th season.

What the heck is everyone thinking? It's ridiculous trying to appease Clarkson or Russell. We got them locked in contract and either can wait a year. Neither are close to all stars right now. If Kobe goes down his last season playing 3 I blame both the coach and the GM.

And if he goes down playing the 2 who will you blame? Byron will put the lineups out there in the regular season that he thinks will give the team their best chance of winning. I definitely support that.
dood23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:56 pm    Post subject:

Rek wrote:
I don't care about preseason games other than serving the purpose of establishing some chemistry and getting much needed PT for our young roster.

I agree that either Kobe or perhaps Lou need to start at the 2. But, for an entirely different reason. I think way too much pressure is being placed on Russell and see no reason not to have him running the 2nd unit to start the season. This has nothing to do with preseason reactions. The bad timing issues and other fundamental shortcomings will be exposed much worse in regular season matchups. Clarkson knows what to expect and has proven he's up to the task. So, given him being a known commodity, why force the issue? Makes no sense to me.

Everyone always wants instant gratification. Some guy named Kobe had to come off the bench during his rookie year. Pretty sure he turned out alright.

Kobe had to earn it because he had an all-star playing his position. Different circumstances.

Like people have been saying in other threads, if Russell is gonna spend some time with the second unit, it will be by starting and staggering his rotation. He has skills that complement both lineups and we need to build the chemistry from day one.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:56 pm    Post subject:

They lost 3 out of four games playing Hibbert at center too.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:46 pm    Post subject:

Kobe can play mostly at the 2 if that proves best, but I would start Russell and Clarkson at the #1 and #2 simply to ensure their confidence remains elevated. I think the three of them on the court will prove to be our best option, but if not, I would consider sacrificing a few minutes each night to ensure Russell and Clarkson build chemistry and are confident knowing they start for the L.A. Lakers.

Kobe should expend less energy on offense, which should give him an extra step on defense in comparison to the last couple years. He seems to have as much confidence in Russell & Clarkson (and even Randle) distributing the ball to him in a good position, as anyone he has played with except maybe Fisher. Maybe that confidence will decrease within a losing streak, but right now I think Kobe at the #3 is good for the Lakers and Kobe.
Atticus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:00 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
They lost 3 out of four games playing Hibbert at center too.

1 game against Maccabi Haifa and it's enough evidence for many to end the Kobe at SF discussion. The reality here is that this decision goes beyond Kobe's ideal and goes beyond this year. If our real core is Randle/Russell/Clarkson moving forward, we need to see if Russell and Clarkson can co-exist. Putting Kobe at the 2 because he personally plays better there (which I'd argue is not true) is so short-sighted. Russell and Clarkson may struggle together at times and D'angelo won't get to run the show, but they need to work to develop chemistry. For the record I think they ultimately will be able to play together.
dood23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject:

Now what do we do?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:34 pm    Post subject:

dood23 wrote:
Now what do we do?

Plan hasn't changed. Dlo/jc/kobe. If Kobe can't go, Brown goes in his place.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: