LAKERS -vs- WARRIORS - 10-22-15 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:38 am    Post subject:

jab wrote:
Russell reminds me of Greg Anthony, thats not good. His upside is Kenny Anderson. Thats a bust for a #2 pick. Didnt see much I liked in this one. Huertas is a turnover machine. Bass has forgot how to shoot. Hibbert is just another slow, lumbering journeyman bigman. Kelly! Please, fools gold. He gets a few plays because no one is paying attention to him. Kobe will not be circa 2006. This team, right now, is worse than last years.

Wow, based on a few preseason games he's GAnthony/KAnderson?

What's the winning lotto numbers tomorrow btw?
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:04 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
jab wrote:
Russell reminds me of Greg Anthony, thats not good. His upside is Kenny Anderson. Thats a bust for a #2 pick. Didnt see much I liked in this one. Huertas is a turnover machine. Bass has forgot how to shoot. Hibbert is just another slow, lumbering journeyman bigman. Kelly! Please, fools gold. He gets a few plays because no one is paying attention to him. Kobe will not be circa 2006. This team, right now, is worse than last years.

Funny thing is that Clarkson and Randle played the worst of them all, and neither are mentioned.
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:07 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB! The one thing the Lakers were good at yesterday was lowering our expectations of them.
Birmingham
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:13 am    Post subject:

foshowtime wrote:
lakersfan32 wrote:
Why didn't Nance play?

Why didnt Scott coach?

Haha. Always a valid question.
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:15 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
I'd like to see us start Kelly, move Russ to 2, and start Lou.
Bring Clarkson/Randle off the bench where they can be the 1-2 punch.

With Kelly/Hibbert, you have more spacing, you also probably go a bit more to Hibbert inside which engages him more early on, leading to better more active D/energy. Kelly, Kobe, Lou all capable and willing spot up jumpshooters off Russell's creating ability.

At 2, Russ can have some speed advantage, something he sorely lacks at 1.

With Clarkson/Randle off the pine, you've got 2 guys there that are starters who can really impact a game - changing the momentum.

I doubt Byron sees this though.

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Are we done playing Bass at 'small ball' center after this blowout?

This is what continues to worry (irk) me about Byron. He has his pet theory about players and rotations and doubles down on them beyond the point of no return. He either is too inflexible about these things or, when things are obviously not working, makes totally random, ill thought out moves, that makes no sense, all so that he can say he tried everything.

Hoping we can see some rational lineups and substitution patterns as well as some kind of cohesiveness on offense and defense. I realize I'm asking for a lot given the current climate.
Birmingham
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:24 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
jab wrote:

Kenny Anderson made an All-Star team, something 14 of the last 18 #2 picks haven't done.

Russell has shown flashes but his relative lack of athletic ability at an ever-more athletic position is a concern.

I still love the Russell pick compared to the alternative (Jahlil). The bigger concern is that Mudiay looks the better prospect and potential ROY judging by summer league / preseason.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:26 am    Post subject:

Birmingham wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
jab wrote:

Kenny Anderson made an All-Star team, something 14 of the last 18 #2 picks haven't done.

Russell has shown flashes but his relative lack of athletic ability at an ever-more athletic position is a concern.

I still love the Russell pick compared to the alternative (Jahlil). The bigger concern is that Mudiay looks the better prospect and potential ROY judging by summer league / preseason.

Sure, but maybe 1 official NBA game may be the minimum criteria, no?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:50 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB.

I agree that Clarkson should play the 1 and Russell should be the 2 for now. It makes things simpler for Russell and Clarkson should get first crack at attacking an open lane with his quickness. Been saying this for awhile now.

Another issue is the Lakers need to increase the pace A LOT. Even if we make more turnovers. With the increased pace we'll get more opportunities for easy buckets to get guys' confidence up. Then they'll be able to get rolling in the half court. Not to mention this team is just more built to run
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:53 am    Post subject:

Tony Anapolis wrote:
Good all fashioned beatdown

That said, atleast they won three games. Also I do not think Byron's rotations will be exactly like this during the regular season?

I can't help but to think he was just trying to speed up continuity between certain units he likes.

Yeah, that's what he is doing, but you also have to stagger your subs in the regular season and there are guys who haven't played together at all yet that presumably will in the first game. So it feels like we're behind in that regard. Kobe, Russell, Huertas and now Clarkson all with injuries that are kind of messing things up.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:54 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Thanks DB.

I agree that Clarkson should play the 1 and Russell should be the 2 for now. It makes things simpler for Russell and Clarkson should get first crack at attacking an open lane with his quickness. Been saying this for awhile now.

Another issue is the Lakers need to increase the pace A LOT. Even if we make more turnovers. With the increased pace we'll get more opportunities for easy buckets to get guys' confidence up. Then they'll be able to get rolling in the half court. Not to mention this team is just more built to run

I thought the pace was pretty awful last night with their sets. They need to sometimes cut out the extraneous cuts and get to the bread and butter early. Felt like our best shots were coming off scrambles or a rare early offense look.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
22 wrote:
Thanks DB.

I thought the pace was pretty awful last night with their sets. They need to sometimes cut out the extraneous cuts and get to the bread and butter early. Felt like our best shots were coming off scrambles or a rare early offense look.

Good point. The extraneous cuts leads to those late in the shot clock looks that are always contested
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject:

Our biggest issue is defense as it has been for the last few years. People are always so focused on offense. We improve defensively and we will win more games. The offense will work itself out as the guys get experience and more familiar with each other.

We were horrible defensively, so what does everyone want to do... put more offense on the floor. I don't get it. Deal with the biggest and easiest problem to fix first.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:51 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Our biggest issue is defense as it has been for the last few years. People are always so focused on offense. We improve defensively and we will win more games. The offense will work itself out as the guys get experience and more familiar with each other.

We were horrible defensively, so what does everyone want to do... put more offense on the floor. I don't get it. Deal with the biggest and easiest problem to fix first.

Says the guy named "defense."
ClutchPowerTripper
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:11 pm    Post subject:

“I was very disappointed the way we reacted as a team,” Scott said. “When we start to get down, guys seem to go their separate ways. We weren’t together as a group.” 

This will be the recurring message this year..So sad for the young talent in this squad..Pathetic coach..
ClutchPowerTripper
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:18 pm    Post subject:

“(Jerry Buss) taught me for all these years, we’re always looking three to five years ahead. Right now, I’m not looking at this season…I don’t care about making the playoffs and getting eliminated in the playoffs. What I care about is getting the core players, because we want to get to the top, and the only way we can get to the top is to have the core players, get the free agents, have flexibility in our (salary) cap, and we’ll be there within three years. Not a problem. Boom.”

Sadder..
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:30 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:

I am watching the replay on compacto right now and you are right, they are taking way too long to get in their sets. Certainly Huertas seems more cognizant of the pro shot clock and the need to start the offense than Russell who is doing too much dribbling and just passing around the perimeter way too far from the basket to be a threat.
BigBoi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
I'd like to see us start Kelly, move Russ to 2, and start Lou.
Bring Clarkson/Randle off the bench where they can be the 1-2 punch.

With Kelly/Hibbert, you have more spacing, you also probably go a bit more to Hibbert inside which engages him more early on, leading to better more active D/energy. Kelly, Kobe, Lou all capable and willing spot up jumpshooters off Russell's creating ability.

At 2, Russ can have some speed advantage, something he sorely lacks at 1.

With Clarkson/Randle off the pine, you've got 2 guys there that are starters who can really impact a game - changing the momentum.

I doubt Byron sees this though.

I like the idea of starting Kelly next to Hibbert, and bringing Randle along slowing off the bench, but Clarkson starts. I'd prefer this line up:

Clarkson
Kobe
A Brown
Kelly
Hibbert

Bring Russell, Lou, Nick, Randle, Nance/Black as the 2nd unit.

Marcelo, Bass, MWP/Jabari, Sacre can find their way by playing themselves into the rotation
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject:

Man from the reactions on social media, it sounded like Russell went 0-7 or had like 5 turnovers. Definitely not his best game, but I'd rather see him shoot, miss, and continue to be aggressive rather than him being passive. Great analysis
Tony Anapolis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject:

I honestly have a hard time seeing Clarkson/Russell/Randle all playing together at the same time, atleast right now. I think if the intention is to win games then lineups may have to be more cohesive.
Russell/Randle/Clarkson all so very young, still one dimensional players in their own right.

I like the idea of bringing either Randle or Russell off the bench. Takes alot f pressure of that player, particularly Russell, I could see him dominating 2nd units.

Not having one real good wing defender at all is our Achilles Heel. Who is our best perimeter defender? Yikes

You see why Scott is giving A Brown plenty of burn. I would not be surprised to see him start in regular season.

Clarkson
Kobe
Brown
Randle
Hibbert

Make em or miss em Brown will have to let the three ball fly. I do not think we will be good this year, never did. These guys need experience first and foremost.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:39 am    Post subject:

Tony Anapolis wrote:
I honestly have a hard time seeing Clarkson/Russell/Randle all playing together at the same time, atleast right now. I think if the intention is to win games then lineups may have to be more cohesive.
Russell/Randle/Clarkson all so very young, still one dimensional players in their own right.

I like the idea of bringing either Randle or Russell off the bench. Takes alot f pressure of that player, particularly Russell, I could see him dominating 2nd units.

Not having one real good wing defender at all is our Achilles Heel. Who is our best perimeter defender? Yikes

You see why Scott is giving A Brown plenty of burn. I would not be surprised to see him start in regular season.

Clarkson
Kobe
Brown
Randle
Hibbert

Make em or miss em Brown will have to let the three ball fly. I do not think we will be good this year, never did. These guys need experience first and foremost.

I think our most balanced starting 5 would be

Russell
Kobe
Brown
Bass
Hibbert

I honestly believe as good as Clarkson is he kinda doesn't fit with this squad. I hope he proves me wrong.
BigBoi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:30 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Tony Anapolis wrote:

Clarkson
Kobe
Brown
Randle
Hibbert

Russell
Kobe
Brown
Bass
Hibbert

I honestly believe as good as Clarkson is he kinda doesn't fit with this squad. I hope he proves me wrong.

Wow Bass and Hibbert in the same lineup would be disastrous, Kobe will reinjure himself trying to carry that team. All Russell will do in that line up is pass the ball to either Kobe or Randle then run to the other side, and the ball will never get back to him.

Last edited by BigBoi on Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:02 am; edited 1 time in total
allyoop
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:30 am    Post subject:

First of all, you don't go from cellar dweller to beating the champs in one season. Secondly, Princeton offense and no threes will lose every time to a really hot shooting team. That's been proven over and over again in the NCAA tournament. Third, coaching and defense were just atrocious. If you're gonna play defense play defense. Lots of turnovers, takeaways, missed shots, poor spacing, poor passing, and got beat on the boards. Can't win that way.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:00 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:

This is why we need to keep Metta.
Tony Anapolis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Tony Anapolis wrote:

Clarkson
Kobe
Brown
Randle
Hibbert

Russell
Kobe
Brown
Bass
Hibbert

Nah I like Randle instead of Bass. We are going to have a tough enough time scoring with Brown in the starting line. We need two playmakers (Clark/Randle) beside Kobe for our offense to be effective imo.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:54 pm    Post subject:

Tony Anapolis wrote:
defense wrote:
Tony Anapolis wrote:

Clarkson
Kobe
Brown
Randle
Hibbert

Russell
Kobe
Brown
Bass
Hibbert

Nah I like Randle instead of Bass. We are going to have a tough enough time scoring with Brown in the starting line. We need two playmakers (Clark/Randle) beside Kobe for our offense to be effective imo.

Yes but if we score 100 but give up 120 whats the point?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: