1 Pacer Stabbed wife slashed, 2 Hawks Arrested in NY
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject:

CBaller8 wrote:
22 wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
eureca wrote:
Quote:
@ShamsCharania
Atlanta's Thabo Sefolosha has been diagnosed with a broken ankle from NYPD incident early Wednesday, out for season, sources tell RealGM.

Quote:
@ShamsCharania
More specifically, Thabo Sefolosha has sustained a fractured tibia in his leg, league sources tell RealGM. MRIs ongoing on other damages.

Thats a blow to the Hawks especially when it comes to guarding Lebron.

LeBron smiles.

We may be looking at Duncan/LeBron IV.

It's not really under his control, but I've never seen a superstar have an easier path to the finals each year than Lebron

A player getting a broken ankle from getting arrested? Unreal hahahah

Did you see the video? It took like 6 cops to slam him to the ground.

There's video? I'm gonna look it up! Crazy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:27 pm    Post subject:

Just saw the video! Jeez!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
mbright
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:15 pm    Post subject:

[/quote]

It's not really under his control, but I've never seen a superstar have an easier path to the finals each year than Lebron

A player getting a broken ankle from getting arrested? Unreal hahahah[/quote]

NYPD must have crossovered him hard...
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:31 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
eureca wrote:
Quote:
@ShamsCharania
Atlanta's Thabo Sefolosha has been diagnosed with a broken ankle from NYPD incident early Wednesday, out for season, sources tell RealGM.

Quote:
@ShamsCharania
More specifically, Thabo Sefolosha has sustained a fractured tibia in his leg, league sources tell RealGM. MRIs ongoing on other damages.

Thats a blow to the Hawks especially when it comes to guarding Lebron.

LeBron smiles.

We may be looking at Duncan/LeBron IV.

Ugh I want new teams preferably ones I like
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:33 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:

Post a link man!
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:34 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
22 wrote:

Post a link man!

It's the trash that is tmz.... But...

Lakers95
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:30 pm    Post subject:

Here's a video at another angle

(bleep) NYPD.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject:

Lakers95 wrote:
Here's a video at another angle

(bleep) NYPD.

Lawsuit inbound
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:01 pm    Post subject:

Karma for the Hawks organization after they had Dahntay Jones injure Kobe a couple of years ago.

KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:26 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
smh out partying through 4am with a game that same day. You get paid millions upon millions to work pretty much 8 months out of the year and you still have a need to party that late on game day??

I'm not a drinker and I essentially agree with what you're conveying, i.e. that they should be in the gym at 4am, but they did worse back in the day partywise. Worse substances than drink alone. Bird used to get hammered early in his career in public bars with a thousand chowdaheads swarming around him (not smart), he just didn't get stabbed. Ced Maxwell said Bird could drink any other guy he's seen under the table. He tells that story about them drinking and on the drive home, Larry sees that Ced is starting to look queasy so he gives him a bottle of water and tells him to drink it and Ced takes a big gulp only to discover that Larry had poured vodka in it and they had to pull over so Ced could "feed the animals". Said Larry was lhao. Now, Bird was a dead serious bball player and dead serious about winning, so I'm willing to cut him some slack over less proven guys. That said, if I were in his shoes or any other, I wouldn't be drinking or partying to that extent. I'd have other vices, but not anything that would leave me with a hangover. Mike did his share of drinking too from what I've heard. Not a stranger to Cohibas and cognac.

A couple of points.

Love Bird, but he's not the guy to have in your fox hole and he's not exactly Kobe in the smarts department. Giving the already drunk guy Vodka, that's some extremely dumb (bleep).

Looking at Mike's face, there is a 100% chance that he is an alcoholic.

No good comes from being out after MN.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:30 am    Post subject:

Is it mandatory that you have to be a douche to join NYPD?
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:53 am    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
Is it mandatory that you have to be a douche to join NYPD?

Pretty much. I was in downtown Brooklyn at 2 A.M. last week and asked a cop how to get to Park Slope. He rattled off some directions quickly; I asked him if he could say them again and he just stared at me rudely and asked if I had listened.

nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject:

Thabo injured while resisting arrest? Must have taken the entire force to bring him down. Don't understand why he didn't just leave.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:04 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2015/09/09/thabo-sefoloshas-trial-date-set-for-october-5-for-new-york-nightclub-incident/

Quote:

Thabo Sefolosha’s trial date set for October 5 for New York nightclub incident

Quietly hanging over the Hawks’ heads this offseason has been the April nightclub incident in New York City that saw Pacers forward Chris Copeland stabbed by a bystander, and Hawks forward Thabo Sefolosha suffering a season-ending leg injury in an altercation with the police. Sefolosha and then-teammate Pero Antic were arrested that night. According to ESPN.com’s Ian Begley, Sefolosha’s trial has been set for October 5 and the case against Antic has been dismissed.

Sefolosha has been vocal since the incident about his belief that he was unjustly beaten by NYPD officers, and the NBPA launched their own investigation into the matter. The trial will take place during training camp, which will be an unfortunate distraction but everybody involved would like to see this play out as quickly as possible.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2015/09/27/antic-on-run-in-with-nypd-what-happened-that-night-wasnt-our-fault/

Quote:
Antic on run in with NYPD: “what happened that night wasn’t our fault”

Thabo Sefolosha is still recovering from his broken leg and has refused to accept a plea deal after a run-in with the NYPD on the night former Pacer Chris Copeland was stabbed outside a New York nightclub. That night and encounter left Sefolosha with a broken leg that required surgery and kept him out of the playoffs.

Former Atlanta Hawks big man Pero Antic was with Sefolosha that night as the two men went out after arriving in the city with their teammates. Antic was arrested that evening and charged obstructing governmental administration, disorderly conduct and second-degree harassment. Those charges were eventually dropped.

Antic left the NBA this summer, deciding on returning to Europe to play for Fenerbahçe of the Turkish Basketball League. But in a series of recent interviews he talked about that April night in New York.

One was with Chris Vivlamore of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

A:…I’m happy that justice was done and people can finally see that what happened that night wasn’t our fault. I’ll just try to forget that and concentrate on the future and better things in life.

Q: What can you say about the way you were treated by police now that your case is over?

A: Not good to be honest. I know that they have the power and everything but at the end of the day we are all humans and we all have rights. Nobody has the right to hit you or even put your career in danger. But not all policeman are like that. I truly believe in that. But those few individuals are making the big difference of what and how people think about the police.

Antic was far more blunt in an interview in a Croatian paper, as translated by LoLz14 at NBA reddit (also I checked this with Google Translate, which returned something similar).

“We were in a wrong place at the wrong time, but in the NBA, going out isn’t forbidden. Thabo went out of a car so he could give 20 dollars to a homeless guy (beggar) and all of a sudden police started to push him violently. I went out to see what is happening, after all he only weights ’20 kilograms’ (probably meaning that he isn’t as tough as Antic). It was pure racism that is spread around America. Thabo is black, all officers were white. I didn’t want to leave him so they arrested me as well (or maybe they took him into custody, I don’t know the correct translation). We never got explanation for their behaviour. Police kills people over there and nothing happens.”

It is very possible that speaking to a European publication Antic felt he could be more blunt and open.

In both cases, he said the incident had nothing to do with him leaving the NBA. He could make about the same money here or there, and he told the AJC he prioritized other things.

“You know me better than the other people from the media and you know how much I loved and enjoyed my time in Atlanta. The biggest reason is that I want to be closer to my family and spend more time with them. When we found out that my wife is pregnant with our third child the decision was to stay in Europe (it’s a boy). Believe me it was hard to do it.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:22 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2015/10/09/thabo-sefolosha-found-not-guilty/

Quote:

Thabo Sefolosha found not guilty

Thabo Sefolosha clearly believed in his innocence.

The Hawks wing rejected a plea deal of only day of community service and six months probation. That probably would have been easier than a trial.

But Sefolosha opted to fight the charges – misdemeanor obstructing government administration, disorderly conduct and resisting arrest.

Today, he was vindicated.

Robert Silverman:

Sefolosha, who missed the playoffs due to a leg injury that seemingly occurred during his arrest, has made his case clear: New York police targeted him because he’s black. Given everything else we know about policing habits, that’s certainly believable.

We’ve also seen video of multiple officers literally pulling Sefolosha in different directions and one striking him in the leg with a nightstick. We don’t know what preceded that video, but especially given the information revealed at trial, it’s difficult to justify that use of force.

This verdict probably sets up Sefolosha’ to sue the NYPD.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:34 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2015/10/26/thabo-sefolosha-makes-it-official-will-sue-nypd-over-injuries/

Quote:
Thabo Sefolosha makes it official, will sue NYPD over injuries

Last April, Hawks’ swingman Thabo Sefolosha had a late-night run-in with the New York Police Department outside a Chelsea Club on the night Chris Copeland was stabbed outside said club. Sefolosha was arrested for misdemeanor obstructing government administration, disorderly conduct, and resisting arrest — but in the process of the arrest suffered a broken leg that kept him out of the playoffs last season.

Rather than accept a “let’s just make this go away” plea deal Sefolosha fought the charges in court and won.

As expected, Sefolosha confirmed will now sue the City of New York and the NYPD over the injuries, something he confirmed to ESPN Monday.

In an interview Monday with ESPN’s Hannah Storm, Sefolosha said he hasn’t fully healed from the injuries, which also included severe ligament damage.

“There’s a lot of unknown about how this will affect me two years from now, five years from now, 10 years from now,” Sefolosha said. “Also because I think it’s the right approach to put lights in a situation like this and to … fight back in a legal way and in a way that can empower, hopefully, more people.”

In his previously filed “notice of claim” (a precursor to a lawsuit against a municipality) he said he would ask for $50 million. What makes Sefolosha a dangerous defendant is that he is not just going to settle for some quick cash, he’s already wealthy, he’s doing this on principle.

However, to receive a large award he will need to show some permanent damage, and plays like this from the preseason are not going to help his cause.

In case you’re curious, Sefolosha and the Hawks will be back in New York to take on the Knicks this Thursday.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:50 pm    Post subject:

Good for him, too bad it won't come out of the officer's pocket.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2015/11/24/review-board-new-york-police-abused-authority-in-arresting-thabo-sefolosha/

Quote:

Review board: New York police abused authority in arresting Thabo Sefolosha

The aftermath of Thabo Sefolosha‘s April arrest is playing out on multiple fronts.

He was found not guilty in criminal court. He’s also suing in civil court.

And New York City’s Civilian Complaint Review Board was reviewing the police’s conduct.

Those results are in.

James C. McKinley Jr. of The New York Times:

New York City’s Civilian Complaint Review Board ruled on Monday that the police had no right to arrest Atlanta Hawks basketball player Thabo Sefolosha outside a nightclub in April, but that officers had not used excessive force when they knocked him to the ground and broke his leg.

A three-member panel found that one officer, JohnPaul Giacona, had been discourteous and had abused his authority when he used profanity and threatened to fight Mr. Sefolosha, after asking him several times to move farther away from the nightclub.

The panel also ruled that Officer Giacona and a second officer, Richard Caster, had abused their authority when they arrested Mr. Sefolosha a few minutes later, a finding that means the officers lacked a valid reason to take him into custody.

But the panel cleared the officers of accusations that they had been unduly brutal while subduing Mr. Sefolosha, according to a disposition letter summarizing the board’s findings.

Police Commissioner William J. Bratton could dock Officer Giacona up to 15 days of vacation, if he follows the board’s recommendation. The board also recommended Officer Caster be sent for additional training in proper police procedure.

This is a big deal. It’s a major problem whenever police abuse their authority. Every time it happens, it should be brought to light, and the officers should be punished. Unfortunately, that isn’t always the case, but at least the first step happened here.

Sefolosha said an officer told him, “With or without a badge, I can (bleep) you up.” The Hawks forward also said he complied with police orders.

These findings validate Sefolosha’s claims.

But the panel clearing the officers of excessive brutality could hinder his lawsuit. His injuries are central to the suit.

I’m also a bit surprised by that portion of the panel’s determination. Here’s video from that night:

This obviously isn’t the full picture, but if Sefolosha did nothing to warrant arrest, what could he have done to deserve that level of force?

I supposed I could be convinced that no officer, on an individual basis, used excessive force – though that’s a hard case to make for the cop who struck Sefolosha with a nightstick. But the other officers are pulling Sefolosha in different directions, practically preventing him from complying with the group ordering him a certain direction. Collectively, that’s excessive. That should have been handled better.

Hopefully, these reviews ensure police do better the next time.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/04/06/sefoloshas-4-million-settlement-with-nypd-raising-eyebrows-its-more-than-some-men-shot-received/

Quote:

Sefolosha’s $4 million settlement with NYPD raising eyebrows, it’s more than some men shot received

NEW YORK (AP) — Thabo Sefolosha of the Atlanta Hawks surely suffered when police officers broke his leg arresting him outside a Manhattan nightclub in 2015. He needed surgery and sat out while teammates went deep in the NBA playoffs.

But the city’s decision to settle his wrongful arrest lawsuit Wednesday for $4 million still raised eyebrows. That’s more than the city has paid out in some of its most notorious police brutality cases.

Several unarmed men shot to death by New York City police received less money.

Legal experts say the large settlement is a reflection of lost earnings potential as a professional athlete, not any judgment that his leg was worth more than a man’s life.

“His injury probably shortens a career with significant dollars attached to it,” said attorney Michael Duffy, who specializes in malpractice and other litigation but had no role in the case.

Sefalosha, a 10-year veteran of the league, was acquitted of charges he disobeyed officers’ orders to leave the area around the club following the nonfatal stabbing of another NBA player, Chris Copeland. This year he has played 60 of 77 games for the Hawks, averaging 7.3 points a game, which is slightly higher than his career average.

Here is a look at some other notable settlements of police excessive-force cases in New York, all involving black men like Sefolosha:

RAMARLEY GRAHAM: The unarmed 18-year-old was trying to flush marijuana down a toilet in his home when an officer barged into the bathroom and fatally shot him in 2012. The city paid the family $3.9 million.

AKAI GURLEY: The 28-year-old was killed in 2014 by a ricocheting bullet when a police officer, patrolling an apartment building with his gun drawn, was startled and fired into a darkened stairwell. The city settled with his family for $4.1 million.

ERIC GARNER: The 43-year-old father of six died in 2014 after being placed into an illegal chokehold by an officer trying to arrest him for selling untaxed cigarettes. The city paid his family $5.9 million.

SEAN BELL: A groom-to-be, the 23-year-old Bell died in a hail of 50 police bullets fired into his car in 2006 as he left his bachelor party at a bar. Officers mistakenly thought they saw a gun. The city paid his estate $3.3 million. Another man in the car who was shot 17 times was paid $3 million. A third victim got $900,000.

ABNER LOUIMA: The Haitian immigrant was badly beaten and sodomized with a broomstick in a police station in 1997 by officers in an attack that damaged his colon and bladder. The city and police union agreed to pay $8.7 million.

OUSMANE ZONGO: The 43-year-old artist was working on restoring African artifacts in 2003 when he was shot and killed by a police officer raiding a warehouse, looking for counterfeit goods. His family settled for $3 million.

PATRICK DORISMOND: The 26-year-old was working at a security guard at a nightclub in 2000 when he was fatally shot during a scuffle with undercover police officers who had asked him where they could buy drugs. His estate was paid $2.3 million.

AMADOU DIALLO: An unarmed African immigrant, the 22-year-old Diallo was shot to death in the vestibule of a Bronx apartment building in 1999 by officers who mistook his wallet for a gun. His mother received a $3 million settlement from the city.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: