Lakers in the News 10/26/15 - 11/01/15: Lakers Need To Clear Things Up
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakersMDGurl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:
LakersMDGurl wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Andrew Bynum: 26 points and 13 rebounds.

Wow, I forget how dominant he could be!

Where is he playing?

He played 2 games with the Pacers last season

OH ok, a happy birthday to him today ...
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:19 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers' rebuild is set for the new season as development, journey to free agency begin
by cvaidya - silverscreenandroll.com

The Los Angeles Lakers were getting ready to step into a new era three years ago. Dwight Howard was supposed to be the next great cornerstone -- the next in a line of centers the Lakers have acquired over their storied history. Fast forward, and fans have now endured 116 games worth of losing over the past two seasons of franchise lows in the aftermath. While there will be more struggles ahead, the foundation of their rebuild has been set. It's now a matter of letting it develop while preparing for another crack at free agency.

Dwight's departure may have been the official moment Mitch Kupchak entered rebuilding mode, but the first signs occurred in the 2011 season when the Lakers briefly traded for (and then didn’t get) star guard Chris Paul. It is possible that with Paul’s presence, 2012 wouldn’t have been the disastrous season it ended up being. Maybe Howard stays in LA. Maybe Bryant doesn’t destroy his body trying to put the Lakers in the postseason. Maybe the Lakers open up another decade of competitiveness.

The hopes for a quick turnaround weren't answered, either. Kobe was a shade of himself as he tried to rush back from injury, and the aging superstar has only played in 41 games since the '13-14 season. Pau Gasol opted to pursue a championship in Chicago after a rough 27-55 season in the city he loved and helped bring two championships to. Then came the search for a replacement for Mike D'Antoni at head coach. Cap space and lottery picks appeared to be the only way out of the hole the Lakers found themselves in.

Their first high-end draft pick turned into power forward Julius Randle, but that cap space remained empty. With every major free agent passing on playing in the purple and gold, it became clear Los Angeles was going to have to rely on Bryant, Randle and a host of role players to get through the season. Julius lost his rookie season after 14 minutes, Kobe heaved shots until he suffered a season-ending shoulder injury, the role players couldn’t find their rhythm and nothing but Jordan Clarkson turning into an All-Rookie first team player went right en route to a 21-61 record. If the Lakers didn’t keep their top-five protected 2015 first-round pick, the franchise appeared to be entering a dark age.

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2015/10/27/9616130/la-lakers-rebuild-free-agency-rookies-youth-core
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:24 pm    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:
Byron Scott may continue to experiment with a Brandon Bass/Ryan Kelly frontcourt
by Eric Pincus - latimes.com

Lakers Coach Byron Scott hasn't committed to starting rookie point guard D'Angelo Russell, taken with the team's second overall pick in the 2015 NBA draft.

That's not the only rotation question he's facing.

On Monday, Scott indicated that he'd like to play nine to 10 players on a regular basis.

The starters will be Kobe Bryant, Jordan Clarkson, Julius Randle and Roy Hibbert. If Russell does play with the starting group, look for the Lakers to back him up with rookie Marcelo Huertas. Scorers Lou Williams and Nick Young will back up Clarkson and Bryant.

Scott may not go with centers Tarik Black and Robert Sacre behind Hibbert, choosing instead to go with a frontcourt pairing of Brandon Bass and Ryan Kelly, both of whom have traditionally played power forward.

"I love the way Ryan played the whole preseason," Scott said after practice on Monday. "I think he had one bad game and that was the second game against Utah.

"Other than that, he was aggressive, made shots, was blocking shots. He did a lot of good things for us on both ends."

Scott likes the offensive potential with an undersized Bass at center.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-byron-scott-experiment-bass-kelly-frontcourt-20151027-story.html

Quote:

If the Lakers bench unit is made up of Huertas, Williams, Young, Kelly and Bass, that's a group that should be able to compete offensively with almost any set of reserves in the league.

Defensively, at least on paper, it's quite suspect.

Rookie forward Anthony Brown could start at small forward if Russell comes off the bench. If so, it's unclear exactly how Scott would use Russell and Huertas off the bench.

Meanwhile, the Lakers have veteran Metta World Peace and rookie Larry Nance Jr. on the inactive list for the opener.

D is inactive.

I can't believe this is Scott who is supposedly a coach emphasizing defense.

Center is not in the job description when Bass signed his contract.
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:49 pm    Post subject:

LaxT wrote:
lakersfreak wrote:
Byron Scott may continue to experiment with a Brandon Bass/Ryan Kelly frontcourt

Lakers Coach Byron Scott hasn't committed to starting rookie point guard D'Angelo Russell, taken with the team's second overall pick in the 2015 NBA draft.

On Monday, Scott indicated that he'd like to play nine to 10 players on a regular basis.

The starters will be Kobe Bryant, Jordan Clarkson, Julius Randle and Roy Hibbert. If Russell does play with the starting group, look for the Lakers to back him up with rookie Marcelo Huertas. Scorers Lou Williams and Nick Young will back up Clarkson and Bryant.

Scott may not go with centers Tarik Black and Robert Sacre behind Hibbert, choosing instead to go with a frontcourt pairing of Brandon Bass and Ryan Kelly, both of whom have traditionally played power forward.

"I love the way Ryan played the whole preseason," Scott said after practice on Monday. "I think he had one bad game and that was the second game against Utah.

"Other than that, he was aggressive, made shots, was blocking shots. He did a lot of good things for us on both ends."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-byron-scott-experiment-bass-kelly-frontcourt-20151027-story.html

Quote:

If the Lakers bench unit is made up of Huertas, Williams, Young, Kelly and Bass, that's a group that should be able to compete offensively with almost any set of reserves in the league.

Rookie forward Anthony Brown could start at small forward if Russell comes off the bench. If so, it's unclear exactly how Scott would use Russell and Huertas off the bench.

Meanwhile, the Lakers have veteran Metta World Peace and rookie Larry Nance Jr. on the inactive list for the opener.

D is inactive.

This is Scott for you. He always prefers vets. Hence Bass and not Black.
I would not be surprised to see MWP in the mix too. Irrespective of whether he brings something useful or not.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:26 am    Post subject: Learning defense will be key to season

The Lakers have plenty of scorers in Kobe, Lou, Nick, Clarkson, Randle,
Kelly, Bass. Just need to learn ball and player movement. Not isos.

But the defense was close to the worse in the NBA last season.

This is why the addition of Hibbert, Bass, and MWP who knows defense is important.
If they can teach the young players defense, this will be the key to a winning season.
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:47 am    Post subject:

Key to LA Lakers' Future Hinges on Jim Buss' Golden Boy, D'Angelo Russell
by Michael Pina - bleacherreport.com

LOS ANGELES — Earlier this month, in a wide-ranging interview with USA Today's Sam Amick, Los Angeles Lakers part-owner Jim Buss spun the team's recent struggles with unmitigated positivity. For a franchise that has lost 116 games over the past two seasons and whiffed on superstar free-agent talent again this past offseason, the remarks seemed awfully far-fetched.

So why the rosy outlook, Mr. Buss?

The answer is obvious yet fraught with risk: D'Angelo Russell, a rookie who's played zero minutes of meaningful NBA ball. Here's Buss:

"If you watched (Russell) work out, if you heard what our scouts said about him and what they said about Okafor and other players, it got to the point where we could not pass on him. He's that special in a lot of people's books…And I think we might have made the right move with D'Angelo Russell. I think he might be something special. And if he is, then that's what I'm talking about. Somebody special is going to want to play with someone special, and then the dominoes fall. So yeah, I'm extremely confident."

In a phone interview with Bleacher Report last week, Russell referred to Buss' comments as "strong words" and completely understands how important it'll be to eventually meet the skyscraper expectations from an owner who likes to periodically touch base.

In so many ways, Russell is the key to everything, a potential bridge from one triumphant era to the next. The somewhat surprising second overall pick in a draft that featured two can't-miss big men, Russell will either thrust this team into the NBA's modern age—where perimeter-oriented playmaking is essential—or set them back 10 years. A 6'5" point guard with exceptional vision and a left hand made of velvet, there's no doubting Russell's highlight-reel potential.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2583144-key-to-la-lakers-future-hinges-on-jim-buss-golden-boy-dangelo-russell
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:50 am    Post subject:

Kobe On What He Plans To Teach D’Angelo Russell
by Serena Winters - lakersnation.com

With 24 hours until Opening Night, the question remains whether D’Angelo Russell will be the starting point guard when the Los Angeles Lakers suit up against the Minnesota Timberwolves on Wednesday evening at Staples Center. Head coach Byron Scott said Russell has had a great few days of practice, and has been noticeably more aggressive and energetic, since Scott brought it to his attention over the weekend.

So, what is it that Scott is weighing when deciding whether to anoint Russell as the starting point guard?

“It’s really all based on his developing, it really has nothing to do with anything else,” responded Scott when asked about Russell starting. “I’m trying to figure out what’s best for him right now. And obviously, what’s best for him is, in my mind, probably what’s best for the team as well.”

As Russell’s been doing since the start of training camp, he again stayed late after Tuesday’s practice to get shots up, for at least 45 minutes. Kobe Bryant said he doesn’t need to teach the rookie about work ethic, his responsibility is more about the details of the game.

http://www.lakersnation.com/kobe-bryant-on-what-he-plans-to-teach-dangelo-russell/2015/10/27/
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:00 am    Post subject:

Kobe starts his 20th season surrounded by new-era Lakers players
by Mike Bresnahan - latimes.com

Kobe Bryant knows what everyone is thinking.

"I'm just an old, average player," he said, his voice coated in sarcasm as he spoke to reporters Tuesday.

Bryant's back, ready or not. This will be the 20th NBA season for a 37-year-old with a reduced role, if you believe him.

On one hand, he says, this game is for the kids now, cognizant that 19-year-old D'Angelo Russell and 23-year-old Jordan Clarkson are the Lakers' backcourt of the future. On the other hand, he gets rankled by meaningless player rankings, ESPN drawing a frown and more sarcasm from Bryant after calling him the NBA's 93rd-best player this season.

Which Bryant will show up Wednesday in the season opener against the Minnesota Timberwolves? Tough to tell.

He already dealt with an injury in exhibition play, sitting out almost two weeks because of a bruised lower leg. His minutes will drop from 34.5 a game last season to about 30 (the actual number hasn't been disclosed), and his ball-handling opportunities will also slide downward.

"I can count on one hand the number of screen-[and]-rolls that I've done, which is a drastic difference [from] the past," Bryant said. "D'Angelo and Jordan are going to handle the ball 90% of the time. My role in that regard has changed a great deal."

But Bryant will have to balance his desire to dominate with the challenges of a very young Lakers' nucleus that also includes 20-year-old Julius Randle.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-kobe-20151028-story.html
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject:

Kobe Bryant On Kevin Garnett: ‘Pretty Amazing’ We’re Still Playing
by Ryan Ward - lakersnation.com

Kobe Bryant and Kevin Garnett may have had some epic battles in the NBA Finals as bitter rivals while the Los Angeles Lakers and Boston Celtics went head-to-head in 2008 and 2010, but there’s nothing but respect between the two veterans.

These veterans are two of only a few players in league history able to play for two decades or more. Garnett is entering his 21st season with the team that drafted him back in 1995 while Bryant will begin his 20th year with the Lakers on Wednesday night.

Kobe was asked about what it’ll be like to face off against Garnett in the season opener after so many years. Bryant said the following about the 39-year-old Garnett, via ESPN’s J.A. Adande.

"It’s fantastic. It’s amazing. It brings a smile to my face, man. Because I remember thinking about making my decision [to enter the NBA draft] and speaking on the phone with him, him going through his first season. Now fast forward, his 21st season, my 20th. It’s pretty amazing.”

http://www.lakersnation.com/kobe-bryant-on-kevin-garnett-pretty-amazing-were-still-playing/2015/10/28/
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:01 pm    Post subject:

Kobe's reality show begins with Lakers' season opener
by Jeff Miller - ocregister.com

Almost three weeks ago, he requested not to be asked about the subject, a subject that, in the past, he has called “silly” and “laughable” and the work of “a bunch of idiots.”

Then, on Tuesday, Kobe Bryant was the one who, unsolicited, brought up the subject, moments before insisting he didn’t give “two (expletives)” about something that he apparently must give at least three (expletives) about then.

Otherwise, why would he have insisted on referencing the whole topic all over again while the rest of us were content to talk about anything else on the eve of his historic 20th season with the Lakers?

“Silly stuff” is what Bryant called it when ESPN ranked him No. 93 on its list of NBA players, behind, among others, Marcus Smart, Jrue Holiday and Jahlil Okafor, who, at this point, still has never played in an actual NBA game.

Bryant is an investor in The Players’ Tribune, a platform that allows athletes to communicate directly with fans and free from the constraints of certain outdated journalist principles, like accuracy.

Asked why such a forum is important, Bryant explained, “If they were doing a vote of the top players in the league, I probably wouldn’t be 93. So, a higher level of expertise.”

Now, imagine if he really cared about such “laughable” ratings. Who knows? Bryant might have reacted Tuesday by igniting Byron Scott’s mustache.

Personally, I have no idea where Bryant should be ranked. But I do know it’s more interesting when he feels slighted, even if, at 37 and with legs going on something closer to 57, there really isn’t much Bryant can do about it.

Back in the day, the Black Mamba would have come out Wednesday and scored 30 points in the opening quarter, banking a final buzzer-beating 3-pointer off the forehead of ESPN’s Jeff Van Gundy.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/bryant-689451-something-scott.html
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:04 pm    Post subject:

Nike Kobe X Elite ‘Opening Night’ (PHOTO)
by Ed Robles - lakersnation.com

The new Nike Kobe X Elite ‘Opening Night’ will be released as part of Nike’s ‘Opening Night Pack’ alongside Kevin Durant’s and LeBron James’ Nike opening night launch! According to Nike.com, Kobe Bryant’s latest shoe features groundbreaking innovation and vibrant color:

A saturated yellow Flyknit upper distinguishes the KOBE X that Bryant will wear when Los Angeles begins its season at home, on Wednesday. Groundbreaking innovation and vibrant color have been the KOBE X trademark since its unveiling and this shoe, which debuts against Minnesota, is no different.

http://www.lakersnation.com/nike-kobe-x-elite-opening-night-photo/2015/10/28/
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:25 pm    Post subject:

Lakers Vs. Timberwolves: 2015-16 NBA Regular Season Begins
by Alan Huerta - lakersnation.com

The Los Angeles Lakers are set to begin the 2015-16 NBA season as they are coming off their worst season in franchise history. Besides the struggles these last couple of years, this new and revamped Lakers roster is looking to continue to progress in the rebuilding process while trying to contend in the brutal Western Conference.

The 2015-16 roster includes a mix of veterans and a very young core, which includes Jordan Clarkson, Julius Randle and D’Angelo Russell. The team also added a few veterans in the offseason that include Brandon Bass, Roy Hibbert and Lou Williams. The Lakers are also getting two very familiar faces back. First off, there’s the return of 2010 NBA Champion Metta World Peace, who is returning to the NBA after two seasons of playing overseas. And lastly, of course, there is Kobe Bryant, who is entering his 20th and potentially last season of his career following three consecutive season-ending injuries.

Minnesota Timberwolves (0-0) at Los Angeles Lakers (0-0)
7:00 PM PST, October 28, 2015
Staples Center, Los Angeles, CA
TV: ESPN, TWC SportsNet
Radio: 710 ESPN (English) / 1330 ESPN (Spanish)

Timberwolves Projected Starting Lineup
PG: Ricky Rubio
SG: Zach LaVine
SF: Andrew Wiggins
PF: Kevin Garnett
C: Karl-Anthony Towns

Key Reserves: PG: Andre Miller SG: Kevin Martin SF: Tayshaun Prince

Lakers Projected Starting Lineup:
PG: D’Angelo Russell
SG: Jordan Clarkson
SF: Kobe Bryant
PF: Julius Randle
C: Roy Hibbert

Key Reserves: PG: Marcelos Huertas SG: Lou Williams SF: Nick Young

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-vs-timberwolves-2015-16-nba-regular-season-begins/2015/10/28/
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:28 pm    Post subject:

Game Recap: Lakers Collapse In Fourth Quarter, Come Up Just Short In Season Opener
by lakersnation.com

It is finally that time of the year, where the leaves on the trees are changing colors and the Los Angeles Lakers are playing basketball. The Lakers will face the Minnesota Timberwolves in the first of a long 82-game season.

Kobe Bryant will set an NBA record tonight for the most seasons with one franchise as he starts his 20th campaign with the Lakers. Kobe is coming off of yet another season-ending injury and he will hope to stay healthy in what many assume will be the final season of his career.

Lakers No. 2 two overall draft pick, D’Angelo Russell, will make his NBA debut tonight against Timberwolves No. 1 overall draft pick, Karl-Anthony Towns, who is making his debut as well. The two rookies have developed a friendship over the summer and are looking forward to competing against each other in their first matchup of their young careers.

Prior to tip-off the Lakers held a moment of silence to honor the late head coach of the Timberwolves, Flip Saunders, who passed away earlier this week. The Lakers also paid tribute to Saunders, wearing shooting shirts with Flip’s name across the front.

http://www.lakersnation.com/game-recap-lakers-collapse-in-fourth-quarter-come-up-just-short-in-season-opener/2015/10/28/
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:49 pm    Post subject:

Lakers falter in the fourth quarter and fall to Timberwolves, 112-111

Kobe Bryant set an NBA record on Tuesday night, playing in his 20th straight season with the Lakers, but his team fell to the Minnesota Timberwolves, 112-111, on opening night at Staples Center.

Bryant passed John Stockton's 19 years with the Utah Jazz. San Antonio's Tim Duncan also joined Stockton at 19 on Tuesday with the Spurs.

In his first game since a shoulder injury shut him down in January of last season, Bryant led the Lakers with 24 points in 29 minutes.

The Lakers saw a 16-point lead gradually dwindle to seven after three quarters, then to a nine-point deficit with just more than two minutes left. A late Lakers' flurry made it interesting, with Lou Williams hitting a three-pointer with 31.6 seconds left to close the Lakers to within a point.

The Lakers forced Kevin Martin to miss a jumper, but after a timeout, Williams' runner down the lane to win hit the back of the rim and came out.

Ricky Rubio and Martin carried the Timberwolves in scoring with 28 and 23 points, respectively. Rubio also had a game-high 14 assists.

The game featured the matchup of the NBA's first two picks in June's NBA draft. Minnesota's top pick, center Karl-Anthony Towns, notched a double-double with 14 points and 12 rebounds.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-ln-lakers-timberwolves-season-opener-20151028-story.html
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:27 am    Post subject:

Lakers show good and bad in 112-111 loss to Minnesota
by Mark Medina - dailynews.com

Both the excitement and anxiety of the Lakers’ 2015-16 season caused Byron Scott to toss and turn, leaving the team’s coach so restless that he woke up Wednesday at 4:30 a.m. He then took a hot yoga session around 6:30 a.m., an exercise that made Scott “feel better.”

But it appears Scott may have trouble sleeping for another night after the Lakers lost to the Minnesota Timberwolves, 112-111, in their season opener on Wednesday at Staples Center.

“We had a lot of brain farts,” Scott said. “I know we’re young and inexperienced at times. But we made a lot dumb mistakes that we shouldn’t have been making.”

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20151028/la-lakers-show-good-and-bad-in-112-111-loss-to-minnesota
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:31 am    Post subject:

Lakers fall to Wolves in opener: What you need to know
by Bill Oram - ocregister.com

Here’s what you need to know about the Lakers' 112-111 loss to the Minnesota Timberwolves in Wednesday’s season opener.

THE GAME IN 140 CHARACTERS OR FEWER

• Kobe Bryant set a record for longevity, then took a lot of long shots. The Lakers led by 16, but couldn't hold on. 81 more chances.

QUOTE OF THE NIGHT

• “Didn’t feel like I had to babysit the entire floor, (could have) fathered the entire floor. Felt good to have some experience there.” – Kobe Bryant, on playing against former Finals foes Kevin Garnett and Tayshaun Prince.

STAT OF THE NIGHT

• The Lakers attempted 35 3-pointers, including 13 by Bryant. The willingness to pull the trigger from deep suggests the Lakers are getting more in line with the rest of the NBA. A year ago, the Lakers ranked 25th in the NBA with 18.9 per game. Then again, maybe the Lakers should hold off on giving everyone the green light. They made just nine of their attempts from long range. Bryant especially struggled, making just three of his 13 attempts.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/need-689643-opener-wolves.html
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject:

It was Kobe’s night, but the season belongs to the kids
by Vincent bonsignore - dailynews.com

Kobe Bryant was back at Staples Center on Wednesday night, spry, nimble and, for now, completely healthy.

For one night, that meant everything was close to right in Lakers Nation.

Aside from the Lakers fading in the fourth quarter of a 112-111 loss to the heavy-hearted Minnesota Timberwolves — and considering the youth and inexperience of the Lakers you can expect a few more indecisive finishes this year — the 20th and presumably final opening night of one of the greatest Lakers went without a hitch.

And that was quite the sight for a bunch of sore eyes that took in nothing but misery the last two seasons.

He shaked and baked and rose and faded. He broke a few ankles with that still lightening-quick crossover, buried a 3-pointer in the face of rising star Andrew Wiggins and spun around then climbed above Tayshaun Prince for tough fall away.

He finished with 24 points, although it took 24 shots to get there and 10 of the misses came off the 13 3s he took.

Still, if you closed your eyes tight enough and dreamed just big enough, there were moments when it was 2009 and the Lakers were sitting shotgun on Kobe Bryant’s magic carpet ride.

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20151028/bonsignore-it-was-kobes-night-but-the-season-belongs-to-the-kids
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject:

T'Wolves at Lakers - After Game Videos
by lakersnation.com

Kobe Bryant Sets NBA Record In 20th Season

Byron Scott After Season-Opener Loss To Timberwolves

Lakers Julius Randle On Trash-Talking With Kevin Garnett

Lakers Rookie D'Angelo Russell After His Debut

Jordan Clarkson Says Lakers Need To Play With More 'Killer Instinct'
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject:

Kobe Didn't Find a Win, but He May Have Rediscovered His Passion in NBA Return
by Kevin Ding - bleacherreport.com

Kobe Bryant pulled at the black sleeve that had been on his left calf, contorting his body and twisting his face.

He looked a little like a kid hoping no one was watching, determined to play freely and intent on quickly peeling off the coat he'd been told to wear because it was cold outside.

He looked a lot like Bryant himself, treating that unwanted calf sleeve as if it were an arm sling for his rotator cuff tear...or a crutch for his tibial plateau fracture...or a boot for his Achilles tendon rupture.

Bryant sat back on the bench Wednesday night as the Lakers opened the season against Minnesota and tugged harder a few more times.

He got that sleeve down over his foot and wore a look of satisfaction even before he went back in and lit up the second quarter of his first NBA game in more than nine months.

How much of Bryant's life has been spent trying to get his body right the past three years? Enough hours—including the past two weeks of impatiently waiting for the pain to check out of that bruised calf—so that his body was actually feeling good, feeling strong.

Wear the sleeve just to be safe? Increase a little circulation? Deter muscle fatigue? Please.

Let me go.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2583939-kobe-didnt-find-a-win-but-he-may-have-rediscovered-his-passion-in-nba-return
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:32 pm    Post subject:

Julius Randle's a different player one year after leg fracture

Just one game into the season, second-year forward Julius Randle more than doubled his minutes played as a rookie.

The Kentucky forward, the Lakers' seventh overall pick in 2014, broke his leg just 14 minutes into last year's opener in a loss to the Houston Rockets.

His season was over before it began, with just two points scored on three shot attempts, one turnover and one foul. He also missed his only two free throws.

After a long rehabilitation, Randle worked his way back through summer league and the preseason. On Wednesday, he battled veteran Kevin Garnett (now in his 21st year) and the Minnesota Timberwolves in a close 112-111 Lakers' loss.

Randle played an effective 30 minutes, notching a double-double with 15 points and 11 rebounds. While he made only five of his 13 shots, Randle sank five of his six free throws and dished two assists with a turnover.

Career highs across the board, but Randle was disappointed the Lakers gave up a 16-point lead.

"[We] lost our edge," he said. "We didn't finish the game."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-julius-randle-year-from-leg-fracture-20151029-story.html
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers already appear to be looking past Kobe Bryant and toward the future
by Marc J. Spears - sports.yahoo.com

Trailing by a single point in the closing seconds of their season opener, desperate for some late-game heroics from their longtime savior, the Los Angeles Lakers put the ball in the hands of Kobe Bryant just like they had on so many other magical nights across the past two decades.

Only this time he was standing out of bounds.

The final shot of the opening game of what could be the final season of Bryant's legendary career went not to Bryant, but instead to Lou Williams, whose runner bounced harmlessly off the back of the rim. As the buzzer sounded on the season-opening loss for the Lakers against the young Minnesota Timberwolves, Bryant – who had been asked to inbound the ball on the decisive possession – dropped his head then walked off the floor.

So much for a poetic ending to the start of Bryant's 20th season. Should he have been given the last shot? That's probably what Jack Nicholson, all those Hollywood types and Lakers fans wanted after watching their team blow a 16-point lead.

"Don't start that," Bryant warned after the 112-111 loss Wednesday night.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/the-lakers-already-appear-to-be-looking-past-kobe-bryant-and-toward-the-future-085631127.html
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:05 pm    Post subject:

s_habe wrote:
LaxT wrote:
lakersfreak wrote:

Quote:

D is inactive.

I would not be surprised to see MWP in the mix too. Irrespective of whether he brings something useful or not.
MWP will serve in a similar capacity as KG in MN - Mood/Momentum Changer with an added emphasis on defensive intensity - something the Lakers is in dire need of
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
s_habe wrote:
LaxT wrote:
lakersfreak wrote:

Quote:

D is inactive.

MWP will serve in a similar capacity as KG in MN - Mood/Momentum Changer with an added emphasis on defensive intensity - something the Lakers is in dire need of

^^^^^^^^^^^^
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:48 pm    Post subject:

D’Angelo Russell moving back to point guard
by Mark Medina - dailynews.com

The five men convened at half-court. Lakers coach Byron Scott and guard Kobe Bryant began talking. Lakers rookie guard D’Angelo Russell, second-year guard Jordan Clarkson and second-year forward Julius Randle listened intently. All of which presumably entailed something they had discussed earlier in Thursday’s practice.

Scott’s experiment to feature Russell as an off-ball guard will become a one-hit wonder. Russell will start at point guard and assume ball-handling duties when the Lakers (0-1) visit the Sacramento Kings (0-1) on Friday at Sleep Train Arena.

“The one thing I have to get D’Angelo to get better at is pushing the tempo,” Scott said. “He’s probably a better decision maker even at 19 years old and it’s his rookie year. So we’ll have him on the ball right now.”

Bryant noted “that’s what we brought him here to do” after the Lakers drafted Russell at the No. 2 overall pick. But Scott wanted to lessen Russell’s workload. Yet, Russell posted four points on 2-of-7 shooting and recording more turnovers (three) than assists (two). Russell also did not play in the entire fourth quarter.

“I wouldn’t say it took me away from my game,” Russell said. “I just adjusted from being the point guard and then playing off the ball is not foreign to me. I can do that. But in practice, I gained the chemistry with playing with guys on the ball.”

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20151029/lakers-dangelo-russell-moving-back-to-point-guard
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:50 pm    Post subject:

Kobe Bryant Impressed With Jordan Clarkson’s Play
by Ramneet Singh - lakersnation.com

The Los Angeles Lakers kicked off their 2015-16 season with a matchup against the Minnesota Timberwolves and No. 1 pick, Karl Anthony-Towns. After failing to reach the playoffs for two consecutive years, the Lakers were hoping to get their rebuilding process off on the right foot.

Despite a solid first half where the Lakers headed into halftime up by nine, the team completely lost its momentum in the fourth quarter. However, there were definitely some positives to take away from the game following the 112-111 loss to the Wolves.

Kobe Bryant praised second-year player Jordan Clarkson and the improvements he’s shown thus far in his career, via LakersNation reporter Serena Winters:

"He’s been outstanding since training camp. Or really, since the end of last season.”

http://www.lakersnation.com/kobe-bryant-impressed-with-jordan-clarksons-play/2015/10/29/
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: