LAKERS -at- KINGS - 10-30-15 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:34 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB. Your commitment to keeping track of the action and reporting highlights here (low lights too ?) is admirable - and appreciated.

Oooof. Randle did not look good at all. Bass was out of position. I'd thought a month back that these two in the PF slot represented a strength area for this club, but after last night, ummm, no.
All_Star_Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:37 am    Post subject:

The Thief wrote:
Is it just me or was Kobe purposely only shooting 3's to try and prove a point. I think his goal was to shoot around the same amount thinking he could make about half and then say "see it's not a problem of me shooting 3's my timing was just off". Unfortunately all he's proving is his ego has far surpassed his abilty. His shot selection is worse than J.R. Smith's. He should have been yanked out of the game after he started 0-2. That kind of selfishness is going to kill team chemistry.

I think Kobe's trying to become a 3 point shooter because he's getting older and that shot requires less elite athleticism.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject:

Whatever happened to Kobe using his "experience, superior footwork and high bball IQ" to play more efficient ball and save the wear and tear in his body? Said that LAST season and it still hasn't happened. SMH
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:24 am    Post subject:

All_Star_Laker wrote:
The Thief wrote:
Is it just me or was Kobe purposely only shooting 3's to try and prove a point. I think his goal was to shoot around the same amount thinking he could make about half and then say "see it's not a problem of me shooting 3's my timing was just off". Unfortunately all he's proving is his ego has far surpassed his abilty. His shot selection is worse than J.R. Smith's. He should have been yanked out of the game after he started 0-2. That kind of selfishness is going to kill team chemistry.

I think Kobe's trying to become a 3 point shooter because he's getting older and that shot requires less elite athleticism.

I thought Game 1, Kobe was dominating the ball and taking bad shots which hurt the team. This game, most, but not all, his shots were good spot up shots which allowed Russ to have the ball more and look better. He just missed. I dont put this on Kobe at all tonight.
The Thief
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:47 am    Post subject:

foshowtime wrote:
All_Star_Laker wrote:
The Thief wrote:

I thought Game 1, Kobe was dominating the ball and taking bad shots which hurt the team. This game, most, but not all, his shots were good spot up shots which allowed Russ to have the ball more and look better. He just missed. I dont put this on Kobe at all tonight.

He contributed to the first quarter debacle with his poor shot selection so you can't keep him out of the equation. Unless your name is Kyle Korver or Stephen Curry you shouldn't be taking 8 3's in a game. Kobe at this point shouldn't be taking more than 3 per game.
LakersInFour
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:04 am    Post subject:

Last year, and in the preseason I was very critical of fans who were critical of Byron Scott. But I'm starting to get sick of the B.S. These lineups make no sense ... Bass and Kelly as your front court, and Huertas taking minutes away from Clarkson and Russell.

Stop the madness.
"It’s like going to the Getty and standing in front of Van Gogh’s Irises while some schmuck next to you critiques individual brush strokes. Just shut up already. The more you talk, the more you embarrass yourself."
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject:

The Thief wrote:
foshowtime wrote:
All_Star_Laker wrote:
The Thief wrote:

He contributed to the first quarter debacle with his poor shot selection so you can't keep him out of the equation. Unless your name is Kyle Korver or Stephen Curry you shouldn't be taking 8 3's in a game. Kobe at this point shouldn't be taking more than 3 per game.

The bigger sin in the first quarter (and later) was his transition D, sometimes off those shots. Watch him after he puts up a three. All the time. He doesn't get back. In the first quarter it resulted in a few extra men advantages against us on the break for scores. It's a consistent problem. Combine that with at least 3 or 4 mistakes from our rookies, as well, in transition and you've got us on the ropes quickly. Kobe should know better and Scott should be yelling at him to get back. So this is Rule 1 against us. Run. Especially when Kobe shoots a three.

Now add in Byron with two big coaching problems. First, the predictable offensive sets. The Kings D pressured our first pass in the offense for several turnovers. Great job by Karl, Scott clearly out coached here in the first quarter. Textbook.

Then the double down on stupidity by Scott with the Bass/Kelly combo. They get destroyed on the boards. That unit sometimes can do everything right from a defensive positioning standpoint and still get burned with putback scores. We will consistently give up second chances.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:19 am    Post subject:

Its a trio of self made problems. The one who needs to man up is Scott, starting with Kobe and the threes/no transition D, then the dumb lineup, then scrapping some high usage of these sets like we did late last year.
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:27 am    Post subject:

First, Thanks DB for sitting through that massacre and providing an excellent round up.

Second, I agree with LakersInFour and others that the madness must stop. Ray Charles could see the lineups are not working and he is blind and dead.

BS is asking Russell to run an offense that he has never seen run effectively for a sustained amount of time. It looked good in the first half of the Wolves game when Clarkson was at PG but BS rotated out of it in the second half and all of this game. I like the Russell, Randle, Clarkson combination but Clarkson needs to be the PG for now until Russell gets some more experience. Last season Clarkson watched behind Lin and Price for a good part of the season before they moved him to PG. BS needs to do the same thing with Russell.

I like the Huertas / Williams combo off the bench. But Williams with Russell or Huertas with Russell does not work. No chemistry / experience enough with each other to be effective. Needs to be a double substitution (Clarkson/Russell come out Huertas/Williams come in.

Barrak Obama could be a better center than Bass (and I am a republican) right now. Bass does not have the size, experience or skills to be a center especially on the defensive end. The backup center needs to be Black. He and Huertas showed flashes of chemistry during the pre-season while Bass and Huertas have none.

I need a few more games seeing Kelly at PF. I liked the hustle in last nights game and need to see a larger sample before he gets kicked to the curb essentially crushing his confidence and ending his career as a Laker.

L7
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
The Thief wrote:
foshowtime wrote:
All_Star_Laker wrote:
The Thief wrote:
The bigger sin in the first quarter (and later) was his transition D, sometimes off those shots. Watch him after he puts up a three. All the time. He doesn't get back. In the first quarter it resulted in a few extra men advantages against us on the break for scores. It's a consistent problem. Combine that with at least 3 or 4 mistakes from our rookies, as well, in transition and you've got us on the ropes quickly. Kobe should know better and Scott should be yelling at him to get back. So this is Rule 1 against us. Run. Especially when Kobe shoots a three.

Now add in Byron with two big coaching problems. First, the predictable offensive sets. The Kings D pressured our first pass in the offense for several turnovers. Great job by Karl, Scott clearly out coached here in the first quarter. Textbook.

Then the double down on stupidity by Scott with the Bass/Kelly combo. They get destroyed on the boards. That unit sometimes can do everything right from a defensive positioning standpoint and still get burned with putback scores. We will consistently give up second chances.
The Bomb Squad (Randle's description of Huerstas playing with Lou Williams and Swaggy P on the wings) can definitely be a "mood/momentum" changer because of their respected firepower. The game will be quicker and there will be more points on both sides of the ball because there are no actual defenders.

Since Byron is not calling the plays, one wonders what are the seemingly unnecessary delays in initializing the offense.

Bass/RKelly lineup is definitely not working. With Huerstas on the floor, there should be NO EXCUSE why that ball is not moving
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:53 pm    Post subject:

All_Star_Laker wrote:
The Thief wrote:

But there is a difference between being a 3 pointer shooter and a chucker. Kobe in his age still hasn't learned good shot selection, and hasn't learned how to do things in moderation.

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:22 pm    Post subject:

Kobe shot 4-4 from 2. He needs to operate from the elbow more.

Thanks again DB.

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
Robster8989
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:31 pm    Post subject:

Cracking up at all the people who claimed WCS couldn't play.

West Point '88
UCLA '92
75th Ranger Regiment '88-'04
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:31 am    Post subject:

Andre2K wrote:
All_Star_Laker wrote:
The Thief wrote:
But there is a difference between being a 3 pointer shooter and a chucker. Kobe in his age still hasn't learned good shot selection, and hasn't learned how to do things in moderation.
Good Shots versus Efficiency

When Kobe's efficiency rate is consistency going down, hopefully he will seek other ways to make an impact

His defensive abilities in transition defense should be monitored and scrutinized His understandable deficiencies as a 37 years old player with a lot of mileage gets exposed more when you have two very young guards that don't understand floor balance on the offensive end.
All_Star_Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:15 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
Andre2K wrote:
All_Star_Laker wrote:
The Thief wrote:
Good Shots versus Efficiency

When Kobe's efficiency rate is consistency going down, hopefully he will seek other ways to make an impact

His defensive abilities in transition defense should be monitored and scrutinized His understandable deficiencies as a 37 years old player with a lot of mileage gets exposed more when you have two very young guards that don't understand floor balance on the offensive end.

Sounds like Kobe believes he just needs to get his legs back and the timing on the threes will improve. Knowing Kobe, who knows, he may be right.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:31 am    Post subject:

All_Star_Laker wrote:
The Thief wrote:

yanked after starting 0-2. Do you all listen to yourselves? LOL people have been complaining about his long 2s for years and now he's taken a step back and were pissed about that. hilarity.
DrumR
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:34 am    Post subject:

diando wrote:

Thanks again DB.

If only we had a coach who had a system that could generate good looks at the elbow for Kobe. If only...
The Thief
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:13 am    Post subject:

DrumR wrote:
All_Star_Laker wrote:
The Thief wrote:

yanked after starting 0-2. Do you all listen to yourselves? LOL people have been complaining about his long 2s for years and now he's taken a step back and were pissed about that. hilarity.

The point is that they were both 3 point shots. If you give him the benefit of the doubt at 0-2 then at 0-3 you have to see the pattern forming. He had his mind made up that he was going to cast 3's. It was painfully obvious.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:38 am    Post subject:

DrumR wrote:
diando wrote:

Thanks again DB.
If only we had a coach who had a system that could generate good looks at the elbow for Kobe. If only...
Do you not think that Kobe knows how to get there?

Do you think that Kobe will not always go there (given the freedom he has with Byron) whenever he wants to?

Since he has broken off plays from The Zen Master . . . . Kobe does what he wants

As Stu has mentioned, the team is starting to show tendencies to give Kobe at the end of the clock forcing him to take long/3pt shots

Team is going to go through extremes of highs and lows as the NBA IQ education course is being taken by DLO. Since PG is a key position filled with great players in the WC, it is not surprising that DLO will get his bucket handed to him since the quality of play is much higher than he has ever faced. Hopefully he has noted Huerstas (despite being a NBA "rookie") has demonstrated his leadership by telling teammates where they should go.

When DLO is comfortable enough to command (right or wrong decisions), team will start getting better quickly
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject:

foshowtime wrote:
All_Star_Laker wrote:
The Thief wrote:

When you have Kobe's skillset when the 3pt shot isn't falling you do something else. Does Kobe even know what playing efficiently is anymore ? I'am really starting to wonder. Look at D.Wade taking it slow and going to his sweet spots. He plays a very efficient game and I'am not sure even though younger he's in that much of a better shape.
tw-lakbfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:35 pm    Post subject:

Ugly, disappointing start of the game/season.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: