NUGGETS -at- LAKERS - 11-3-15 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:58 am    Post subject:

Was there an explanation for Hibbert's lack of run in the 1st half? DB has a point that he wasn't very effective in his first run - and it was nice to see Black get some extended run - but with the lay-up drill, you would think Hibbert would at least get in for a few minutes...
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:02 am    Post subject:

DB's capsule matches my recall. In a nutshell, Denver scored 120 points. Ouch.
kfkilla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:13 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
The difference in the two teams was pretty obvious.

One's talent is more complimentary and meshes. Mudiay gives them a ballhandling PG who attacks and creates. He's a rookie and learning, but clearly he's their guy. Then you have his partner in crime with the PnR play and the type of guy we really lack talent wise. That active big man who can finish plays inside - Faried. Huge gap in talent there. We had no one who could do that and be paired with Russ or Clarkson for PnR play like that. Then they have Gallli, who is a triple threat guy and someone they can rely on from the wing/perimeter to keep defenses on the back foot, a true 2nd option to Mudiay that is complimentary.

Faried/Gallinari/Mudiay may never win titles or even make the playoffs this year, but they as a trio clearly compliment each others skillset. OTOH, our 3 best players, do not at all.

That's not even look at our woeful D, which is relying on poor perimeter defenders, a 2nd year PF in Randle who really hasn't shown me anything as a man defender or S/R defender.

Basketball a team game, and when Mitch/Jim/Byron put this team together, if they set out to win games, they did a poor job. They certainly added some really good individual talent, but the parts don't fit at all. Changes are needed. To be competitive with young players you need parts that fit. We don't. It'll be a long season. Bright spots will be Clarkson, Russ and Randle showing having good individual games.

I disagree that the parts don't fit. Although you maybe right and I'm stupid, but the system is terrible so there is no way to know. Gaurd brings ball up and stops right after half court while wings scramble back and forth and eventually get the ball above the 3 point line with 10 seconds left. Then they launch a shot.

On top of that they are really weak at the small forward spot. I would start young and bench Kobe. At least young can hit open threes. Keep the game simple. Run pnr with Russell and let him make decisions. With young and clarkson at least you have two wings that are legit threat from 3.

Right now we are playing Iso ball and taking turns. I miss MDA about now. We wanted to run and didn't hire the best running coach out there in Karl. I get the Scott hire, but he's way worse than I could of ever imagined.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject:

kfkilla wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

One's talent is more complimentary and meshes. Mudiay gives them a ballhandling PG who attacks and creates. He's a rookie and learning, but clearly he's their guy. Then you have his partner in crime with the PnR play and the type of guy we really lack talent wise. That active big man who can finish plays inside - Faried. Huge gap in talent there. We had no one who could do that and be paired with Russ or Clarkson for PnR play like that. Then they have Gallli, who is a triple threat guy and someone they can rely on from the wing/perimeter to keep defenses on the back foot, a true 2nd option to Mudiay that is complimentary.

Faried/Gallinari/Mudiay may never win titles or even make the playoffs this year, but they as a trio clearly compliment each others skillset. OTOH, our 3 best players, do not at all.

That's not even look at our woeful D, which is relying on poor perimeter defenders, a 2nd year PF in Randle who really hasn't shown me anything as a man defender or S/R defender.

Basketball a team game, and when Mitch/Jim/Byron put this team together, if they set out to win games, they did a poor job. They certainly added some really good individual talent, but the parts don't fit at all. Changes are needed. To be competitive with young players you need parts that fit. We don't. It'll be a long season. Bright spots will be Clarkson, Russ and Randle showing having good individual games.
I disagree that the parts don't fit. Although you maybe right and I'm stupid, but the system is terrible so there is no way to know. Gaurd brings ball up and stops right after half court while wings scramble back and forth and eventually get the ball above the 3 point line with 10 seconds left. Then they launch a shot.

On top of that they are really weak at the small forward spot. I would start young and bench Kobe. At least young can hit open threes. Keep the game simple. Run pnr with Russell and let him make decisions. With young and clarkson at least you have two wings that are legit threat from 3.

Right now we are playing Iso ball and taking turns. I miss MDA about now. We wanted to run and didn't hire the best running coach out there in Karl. I get the Scott hire, but he's way worse than I could of ever imagined.
Hibbert didn't play much because Nuggets were playing Small Ball and Hibbert doesn't have the offensive game to take advantage of the height difference while not having the foot speed to stay with him on the perimeter - hey, Randle was having problems guarding Faried

Obviously the offense is not the main problems, despite all the hate on the offensive sets. As Toine & Big Game James constantly stated, a Nuggets team without several of its key bigs playing - one cannot give up 30 points per quarter and scoring via wide open uncontested layups.

Byron presently is in a pickle. If the starters are not playing D, his present second option is bringing in the Lou/Swaggy/Huerstas/Kelly/Bass lineup - not exactly a lineup that will play defense.

The next five games on the road will be very revealing and might be the precursor to several changes who will bring what they are doing on the practice floor to the real games

Maybe a hustle defensive-minded lineup like MWP/Nance/AB/Black/Bass will be seen on the court. Not sure where the offense will come from, but these players will bring effort and actually try to play D
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:15 am    Post subject:

I'm really impressed with Clarkson's growth and development. It's really been less than a year since he's been given big minutes. He looks aggressive and moves with purpose.

I realize DLO is still feeling his way around, but if he can progress like JC did within a year, I think we'll all be happy.

Trying to remain positive. Patience is a virtue, but it's damn annoying.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:22 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

I couldn't have said it better.
Lakersneuron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:17 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

At the risk of sounding trite, it is the responsibility of the coach to use a system that compliments and maximizes the skillets of the players.

The Princeton may actually be that system, but execution is horrendous. I would love to see how our team looks playing with MDA, seven seconds or less.

For instance, we have some above average shooters on this team (Swaggy, DLo has a beautiful shot but knocking them down, Anthony Brown, Clarkson ) AND we rank #1 in 3 pt attempts in the league. However, we rank #24 in 3 pt. percentage. I know I sound like an LG parrot, but I don't think we are putting our players in a position to succeed. Given time in the right system, I think they can mesh and build chemistry.

Oh, and to address the defensive end: we are undoubtedly awful and it starts at the wings. One thing that jumps out to me is that the defensive intensity with this team is predicated on our performance on the offensive end, and it is unfortunate. Lots of work needs to be done.
"I don’t give a [expletive] what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations.' Well, [expletive] you. Because I don’t play for your [expletive] approval."
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject:

4 new starters -check
3 starters 23 years old or younger - check
2 starters with a combined 4 hours of pro playing time - check
1 starter coming off 3 years on injuries - check

Reality trumps optimism
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:51 am    Post subject:

Lakersneuron wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

At the risk of sounding trite, it is the responsibility of the coach to use a system that compliments and maximizes the skillets of the players.

The Princeton may actually be that system, but execution is horrendous. I would love to see how our team looks playing with MDA, seven seconds or less.

For instance, we have some above average shooters on this team (Swaggy, DLo has a beautiful shot but knocking them down, Anthony Brown, Clarkson ) AND we rank #1 in 3 pt attempts in the league. However, we rank #24 in 3 pt. percentage. I know I sound like an LG parrot, but I don't think we are putting our players in a position to succeed. Given time in the right system, I think they can mesh and build chemistry.

Oh, and to address the defensive end: we are undoubtedly awful and it starts at the wings. One thing that jumps out to me is that the defensive intensity with this team is predicated on our performance on the offensive end, and it is unfortunate. Lots of work needs to be done.
It is time for World Peace!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: