Dell Customer Service Is CRAP--(Am Selling This Computer)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerFanAlways
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Dell Customer Service Is CRAP--(Am Selling This Computer)

Hi all..I have a huge problem with my Dell laptop..last year(April to be exact) I purchased a brand new(built to order) Inspiron 9300 laptop..it was the first laptop that I have ever owned..well, when I took it out of the box and charged it, I noticed that the battery would not hold on to the charge, it would go from 100% to 90% to 92%, in a matter of minutes and it would die in about an hour and a half even though the battery should last 2 2/2 to 3 hours..well, first after trying again and again to get someone, they FINALLY sent me a new battery, after 2 weeks of hell trying to get one, well when I got it the battery wasn't even the right battery for my laptop, so I had to send that one back, when I finally got the replacement battery the 21 day warrenty had already expired so I was screwed, I was told repeatedly that there was NOTHING wrong with the laptop, just crappy battery..I have had about 6 battery replacements and it still does the same thing, without it being connected to the adapter it just wont last long, I have even had a motherboard replacement, adapter replacement and another battery replacement recently..they basically strung me along so that I would be stuck with this thing, well today I contacted Dell AGAIN(after talking to them about 40 times total in the year) and they told me that I could get a "brand new" replacement laptop, then I find out today that it is NOT gonna be a brand new replacement, its gonna be REFURBISHED..and I was so pissed cause I am not gonna be paying 1200 bucks for a refurbished computer, some people like refurbished, I don't..Ive talked to customer service people, managers, technicians and supervisors and they all say that since the 21 days is up, they can only give me a refurbished computer..one a-hole manager said that if I want I can return the computer and get 30% less then what I paid for, and I would STILL have to pay the extra 250 bucks for the 3 year warrenty..i was so upset how dare they even say that to me..so tomorrow I am supposed to receive a phone call from the corporate office(I guess thats the highest I can go besides talking to Michael Dell himself) I am just so frustrated..I understand they have a policy but if their policy includes lying to me again and again then I want to see that in black and white. I don't know what I should do..I just want a computer that I can actually take to school that doesn't need to be constantly on the adapter in order to stay charged..what should I say to these people to get some service done..I SO regret getting Dell, maybe their computers are good but their support is HORRENDOUS!!

Last edited by LakerFanAlways on Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Mongo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Dell Customer Service Is CRAP--Need Suggestions!

LakerFanAlways wrote:
Hi all..I have a huge problem with my Dell laptop..last year(April to be exact) I purchased a brand new(built to order) Inspiron 9300 laptop..it was the first laptop that I have ever owned..well, when I took it out of the box and charged it, I noticed that the battery would not hold on to the charge, it would go from 100% to 90% to 92%, in a matter of minutes and it would die in about an hour and a half even though the battery should last 2 2/2 to 3 hours..well, first after trying again and again to get someone, they FINALLY sent me a new battery, after 2 weeks of hell trying to get one, well when I got it the battery wasn't even the right battery for my laptop, so I had to send that one back, when I finally got the replacement battery the 21 day warrenty had already expired so I was screwed, I was told repeatedly that there was NOTHING wrong with the laptop, just crappy battery..I have had about 6 battery replacements and it still does the same thing, without it being connected to the adapter it just wont last long, I have even had a motherboard replacement, adapter replacement and another battery replacement recently..they basically strung me along so that I would be stuck with this thing, well today I contacted Dell AGAIN(after talking to them about 40 times total in the year) and they told me that I could get a "brand new" replacement laptop, then I find out today that it is NOT gonna be a brand new replacement, its gonna be REFURBISHED..and I was so pissed cause I am not gonna be paying 1200 bucks for a refurbished computer, some people like refurbished, I don't..Ive talked to customer service people, managers, technicians and supervisors and they all say that since the 21 days is up, they can only give me a refurbished computer..one a-hole manager said that if I want I can return the computer and get 30% less then what I paid for, and I would STILL have to pay the extra 250 bucks for the 3 year warrenty..i was so upset how dare they even say that to me..so tomorrow I am supposed to receive a phone call from the corporate office(I guess thats the highest I can go besides talking to Michael Dell himself) I am just so frustrated..I understand they have a policy but if their policy includes lying to me again and again then I want to see that in black and white. I don't know what I should do..I just want a computer that I can actually take to school that doesn't need to be constantly on the adapter in order to stay charged..what should I say to these people to get some service done..I SO regret getting Dell, maybe their computers are good but their support is HORRENDOUS!!

1.5 hours sounds about right for a laptop battery. There are some powersaver options in the bios that may be able to increase that time, but I wouldn't expect much more. Best thing to do is get a second battery.

Oh yeah, Dell's service does suck and its only going to get worse as their company continues to lose money... Its to bad to, because Dell's service is what used to set them apart.
LakerFanAlways
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject:

Yeah but what doesn't make sense is that I have a friend who has a dell laptop(five years old) and she can use the machine for 3 hours+ before receiving a message saying to plug it back into the adapter..Ive already done the BIOS upgrade..which did nothing..I can understand a battery losing power over long use, but the way it flucuates, example, going from 100 percent to 90 percent to 92 percent then 85 percent..that aint right..and they replaced my motherboard and adapter and multiple batteries, they must have thought something was wrong, either that or they were stringing me along til my warrenty expired and I was screwed

As far as their customer service goes..it is horrible, absolutely horrible, besides the fact that most of them cant speak a word of English, they straight up lie and expect to get away with it.."brand new computer" is different then "refurbished computer." no wonder their stock continues to plummet..I should have gotten Toshiba
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject:

Dell just recalled 4.1 million laptop batteries because they were potential fire hazards.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:42 am    Post subject:

Yup. I use Dell desktops, but I use Toshiba laptops.

BTW, battery life will vary depending on configuration & use. Some screens draw more power than others; wireless is a power draw; etc. Depending on what I'm doing, I get about 90 minutes per charge on mine, too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Kobe>Lebron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:31 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
Yup. I use Dell desktops, but I use Toshiba laptops.

BTW, battery life will vary depending on configuration & use. Some screens draw more power than others; wireless is a power draw; etc. Depending on what I'm doing, I get about 90 minutes per charge on mine, too.

In this case you may just have to carry two batteries, and well go on with your life. Mine lasts about 85 minutes too. I can understand your frustration with Dell CS though. I once waited 45 minutes for a technician only to get jerked around and put on hold multiple times till a guy named Manuel with a heavy accent told me he would send a service package to me that never came. I was furious. He straight out lied!! That is what happens when you outsource for cheap labor, you get cheap customer service too.
Mongo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:07 am    Post subject:

LakerFanAlways wrote:
Yeah but what doesn't make sense is that I have a friend who has a dell laptop(five years old) and she can use the machine for 3 hours+ before receiving a message saying to plug it back into the adapter..Ive already done the BIOS upgrade..which did nothing..I can understand a battery losing power over long use, but the way it flucuates, example, going from 100 percent to 90 percent to 92 percent then 85 percent..that aint right..and they replaced my motherboard and adapter and multiple batteries, they must have thought something was wrong, either that or they were stringing me along til my warrenty expired and I was screwed

As others have said, battery life is extremely dependant on the hardware in the system (processor, display, drives, wireless...) so you really can't compare disparate systems. I have a Dell D600 and get around 1.5 hours per battery.

When I mentioned the BIOS I was really talking about the settings within the BIOS (not the version). There are ususally power save options that you can turn on (LCD brightness, sleep settings for the drives and system, etc...)
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:07 am    Post subject:

Yup, Dell outsourced all their tech support. Only time I've needed them was when I got a new widescreen flat panel, which was supposed to be compatible with my video card. It was pretty obvious to me that the video card wasn't compatible (I even had others of the same make & model of video card to swap into my system), but the only thing he could do was follow his script for diagnosing the issue. He was flummoxed, but was sure the monitor was bad (even though the monitor was working for me with other computers that had newer video) and was ready to have a new monitor shipped to me (he thought sure that the video card was compatible with the monitor, so it -had- to be the monitor). I convinced him to wait a day, picked up a new video card, and everything worked great.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakerFanAlways
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject:

I talked to the corporate office, they want to do absolutely nothing for me..so I have decided to sell this computer..it works perfectly except the battery doesn't last long..you would think that its never been used if you looked at it..I am selling it for 1200.00 including a brand new 3 year warrenty that extends through may 2008..if anyone is interested please let me know..the computer itself is perfect, battery life not so great, its a 6 cell battery
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject:

I like Dell's, but then I never need support.

Got a client a new Dell laptop a few months ago to replace his 5 year old Dell laptop. Nothing wrong with the old one other than being 5 years old. It kept going and going and he takes frequent trips to France and the original batteries were still working.
NoMoreGame7s
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject:

You should call them up and meow at them.

Thanks for the avatar, Hybrid27.
LaLakers999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject:

LakerFanAlways wrote:
I am selling it for 1200.00 including a brand new 3 year warrenty that extends through may 2008..if anyone is interested please let me know..the computer itself is perfect, battery life not so great, its a 6 cell battery

wow 1200?? laptops are getting really cheap these days you can get a new good for about 900 dollars
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Dell just recalled 4.1 million laptop batteries because they were potential fire hazards.

So did Apple, seems they both use Sony batteries.

STORY
LakerFanAlways
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject:

Lakers999 wrote:
LakerFanAlways wrote:
I am selling it for 1200.00 including a brand new 3 year warrenty that extends through may 2008..if anyone is interested please let me know..the computer itself is perfect, battery life not so great, its a 6 cell battery

wow 1200?? laptops are getting really cheap these days you can get a new good for about 900 dollars

The computer itself was 966.18 and the warrenty was 250.00..Heck I'd be happy at this point with 1100.00..remember this is including a 3 year warrenty which brings the price up..
Mongo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject:

LakerFanAlways wrote:
Lakers999 wrote:
LakerFanAlways wrote:

The computer itself was 966.18 and the warrenty was 250.00..Heck I'd be happy at this point with 1100.00..remember this is including a 3 year warrenty which brings the price up..

Computers are like cars. They depreciate as soon as you take them off the lot.
LakerFanAlways
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject:

FINALLY Dell is taking back this piece of junk..UPS is coming to pick it up on Tuesday..they are deducting a 30 percent restocking fee and I am supposed to not get back the money for the 3 year additional warrenty but that is a whole other department and today I talked to the lady from that department and I think I can get that refunded too. Screw those dell jerks..Anywho, I am gonna be purchasing a new Laptop..I was thinking about getting a Toshiba..but from a store, like best buy, something like that..that way I can purchase THEIR warrenty and also get a better battery..what computer system is good to go with?
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject:

I was just going to suggest you can call the Better Business Bureau and probably file a complaint. Once they receive the fax from the BBB, they'll get on the ball and try to help you out ASAP. I know this cause I used to work with a computer company that had the same problems.

As for what system is good, just go with either a Toshiba or an HP laptop. They're both good.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject:

I have a Toshiba Satellite a75. I love it. People always compliment how cool the screen looks. The only thing I don't like about it is the fan can be a little loud at times. Other than that, I absolutely love this thing.
The Dagger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject:

As everyone has pointed out an average battery only last for about 1.5 hours. So it sounds like nothing is wrong with your computer. You should just pay $100 and buy a second battery, instead of eating the 30% difference if you give it back to Dell.

As for Dells, they are easily the best computer on the market- Desktop or Laptop. I've had 5 Dells so far, and have NEVER even had one problem with any of them. I've experienced way too many problems with Toshibas, Compaqs, Sonys, Emachines, etc to even list. Those computers are junk as far as I'm concerned. I would NEVER get anything but Dell. My entire office uses Dells, I'm talking about 400 hundred of them and in the past 5 years have heard of very few problems at all with them.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

So did Apple, seems they both use Sony batteries.

STORY

yup. my powerbook is now a ticking time bomb until my new battery comes in the mail.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: