Scott: Brandon Bass will continue to be Lakers' backup Center (sorry Tarik Black)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:13 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
If it's all about developing the young players, yes.
But that comes at a cost - usually wins.

A really, really special coach can both develop the kids and also get you competitive.

But most coaches have 60 loss type of seasons in situations where there's a lot of young players without an all-star to carry them, because of that.

Tonight's game was definitely on Byron because he knew the bench was floundering in the 1st half, and did it again in the 2nd. You have to realize at some point your bench is toast.

However, don't think it's as simple as - replace Black with Bass and our bench rules. Our bench won't be any good until we get Lou Williams playing like 6th man of the year again and/or we give the bench some of the starting 5 talent like Randle/Clarkson, IMO.

....except, Byron is doing neither. He sucks at both. There's no confusion about what the objective(s) are. The confusion is over the fact that the team is still being set up for failure either way. The young players don't seem to have the freedom to let their hair down, mainly because the system just doesn't cater to their talents, and it's resulting in them being underutilized pretty severely (especially Clarkson). But also, the minutes that the vets rack up are hardly meaningful because of the weird rotations and lineup combinations (i.e. Bass at C, Lou at PG).

If it's really about developing the young talent, how does that explain Byron having Bass eat up all of Tarik's minutes, especially when Bass as backup C has proven pretty consistently to hurt the team, whereas Tarik was one of the players that sparked the team to it's first win because of his defense? These intellectual deficiencies can't be swept under the rug in the typical way most people who defend Byron are trying to, by continuously going back to the, 'It's about developing talent' or 'The vets are more deserving of PT and the youngins have to earn it' stuff. Neither one of those arguments explains Bass at C. When Byron's decision-making is analyzed from a big picture perspective, it becomes painfully obvious that this has so much more to do with downright incompetence than it does disagreements on certain philosophies.

Last edited by Judah on Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:43 am; edited 1 time in total
MedRomLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:27 am    Post subject:

1st I was
then I was
I am now

4/30/14 the day the ant left the building!!!!!!
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:31 am    Post subject:

Tarik is a young player who deserves development too. This is his second year in the league.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:32 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
You want Byron to throw Bass back into the lake. He's too small.

I liked this. Doesn't deserve to be lost on the previous page.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:06 am    Post subject:

Byron Scott: "Because you know I'm all about that Bass, 'bout that Bass, no Tarik."
Shaqman55
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:46 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Byron Scott: "Because you know I'm all about that Bass, 'bout that Bass, no Tarik."

I f-ing loled..... Good stuff
jumpinmp
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:48 am    Post subject:

April Fools! Oh shoot, it's November
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: