Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:48 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
Dladi Vidac wrote:
C M B wrote:
Image gallery: the victims

http://www.vg.no/spesial/2015/terrorangrepet-i-paris-ofrene/

Damn, I feel like someone just tore my heart out and stomped on it. The faces really make it hit home, hard.

Charlotte Meaud - 30
Émilie Meaud - 30

Identical twin sisters

Christ, their mom is a widow too. That poor lady...
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject:

Question for those who are intent on shutting off refugees from Syria on the off (and yet unproven) chance that an ISIS operative might slip through.

If you were ISIS, what would you do?

Would you send an operative in with a group who is coming from Syria and is going to be viewed suspiciously and carefully where they will spend days and weeks going through the process? Be out of contact and under watch?

Or would you simply send your many European nationals who can enter the country from a "no visa required" nation and simply fly in on a commercial flight unnoticed, easily clear customs and be in country, undetected with in a matter of hours and with no suspicion whatsoever?

Given ISIS's reach into European (and likely American) society, why would they waste their time with the refugee path? It makes no sense logistically or strategically.
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:24 am    Post subject:

A more libertarian look at the refugee question Cato Link
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:59 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Question for those who are intent on shutting off refugees from Syria on the off (and yet unproven) chance that an ISIS operative might slip through.

Would you send an operative in with a group who is coming from Syria and is going to be viewed suspiciously and carefully where they will spend days and weeks going through the process? Be out of contact and under watch?

Or would you simply send your many European nationals who can enter the country from a "no visa required" nation and simply fly in on a commercial flight unnoticed, easily clear customs and be in country, undetected with in a matter of hours and with no suspicion whatsoever?

Given ISIS's reach into European (and likely American) society, why would they waste their time with the refugee path? It makes no sense logistically or strategically.

I saw someone explaining the process on the news last night, and for refugees coming in the the U.S. we have about an 18-month screening process. Lot and lots of hoops to jump through. The people who are afraid of refugees need to check some basic facts instead of reacting based on pure emotion and fear.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:01 am    Post subject:

OregonLakerGuy wrote:
A more libertarian look at the refugee question Cato Link

Thanks.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/20/europe/paris-attacks-at-a-glance/index.html

• NEW: The Paris Prosecutor's Office confirms that contrary to preliminary information from French authorities, Hasna Ait Boulahcen did not blow herself up during the raid on the apartment in the Paris suburb of Saint-Denis on Wednesday. The prosecutor's office told CNN that it was a man who was wearing a suicide device that detonated. In initial reports, Boulahcen was described as wearing a suicide vest. New information suggests that she was found dead after the raid, but did not detonate a vest.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:52 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

Bear in mind, people from Western Europe can come to this country without even a visa, much less any vetting process. Number of such visits per year? Over 20 million.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Bear in mind, people from Western Europe can come to this country without even a visa, much less any vetting process. Number of such visits per year? Over 20 million.

That's my point
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:57 pm    Post subject:

The hot meme from the political right is that the Tsarnaevs were refugees. That is sort of true in a colloquial sense, but it's mostly false. They came to the US on tourist visas, then their parents applied for asylum.
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

I saw someone explaining the process on the news last night, and for refugees coming in the the U.S. we have about an 18-month screening process. Lot and lots of hoops to jump through. The people who are afraid of refugees need to check some basic facts instead of reacting based on pure emotion and fear.

You have a link to where I can read about the process? I'm very interested in to see what they're going through.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
The hot meme from the political right is that the Tsarnaevs were refugees. That is sort of true in a colloquial sense, but it's mostly false. They came to the US on tourist visas, then their parents applied for asylum.

And didn't they become radicalized AFTER their arrival in the US? (genuine question - that's how I remember it, but that doesn't mean I'm recalling correctly)
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:58 pm    Post subject:

Yes, that's correct.

I see both sides on the refugee issue. I've been staying out of the discussion for the most part because I'm conflicted on the issue.

1. On the one hand, I am well aware of the humanitarian issues. But there are also pragmatic issues that accompany the humanitarian issues. These people have to go somewhere, and we run a risk of destabilization if we don't find a solution. For that matter, we are playing into ISIS's hands.

2. On the other hand, I don't know that America can handle the refugees right now. The fear and Islamophobia is regrettable, for sure, but that does not make it less real. The security issue may be small, but it is not nonexistent, and it seems inevitable that one of the refugees will do something to get people enraged.

3. Europe has the same problem as us, only on a greater scale. We need a multilateral solution to put these people somewhere relatively secure. If I had a brilliant idea to fix the problem, I'd say so. But I don't. For better or for worse, however, I don't think the US is going to be able to provide a lot of help. This saddens me, but this is about the worst possible time for this issue to be coming up.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:04 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

And didn't they become radicalized AFTER their arrival in the US? (genuine question - that's how I remember it, but that doesn't mean I'm recalling correctly)

From that Cato link:

Quote:
The distinction between asylum seekers and refugees is usually lost when discussing the security threat from refugees. The father of Boston Marathon bombers Tamerlan and Dzokhar Tsarnaev was granted asylum status, which conferred derivative asylum status on the children. None of the Tsarnaevs were ever refugees.

Both Tamerlan and Dzokhar were children when they were admitted through their parents’ asylum claims. They did not adopt a radical interpretation of Islam or start plotting a terrorist attack until years after coming here. Their case does not reveal flaws in the refugee vetting process. There were some other terrorist attacks in the early 1990s from applicants for asylum status, but none of them were actual refugees.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:29 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Not anymore. Travelers from countries within the Visa Waiver Program have to apply for Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA), a pre-screening procedure. I assume anyone on terrorist list is not getting an ESTA.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject:

Buck32 wrote:
24 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Not anymore. Travelers from countries within the Visa Waiver Program have to apply for Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA), a pre-screening procedure. I assume anyone on terrorist list is not getting an ESTA.

And I can assure you that a significant number of potential future terrorists aren't on the watch list.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject:

I wish more news articles were like this.
This read provides solutions as opposed to the click-bait rhetoric that fills most political news nowadays.
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/11/paris-attacks-isil-strategy-obama-213382
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject:

Russia “black widow” jihadist: “I am ready to do anything. I can blow myself up, together with all these nonbelievers”

LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:46 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Why do you assume that people who disagree with your position aren't aware of basic facts?

What is actually involved in the screening process? Where do you get information if you don't have a database to draw from? How rigorous is the screening process? What do they screen?

The FBI Chief and others have said that our Intel in the region is poor. Syria doesn't have information they will share with us.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject:

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/12249703_10153240616286179_3598723109462852579_n.jpg?oh=8edd363fed40ff06b17b793b32ee7258&oe=56EC1723
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Kobe2Dwight12 wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

You have a link to where I can read about the process? I'm very interested in to see what they're going through.

See OregonLakerGuy's post above with link to Cato Institute article. They talk about it in depth.
The Thief
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:18 pm    Post subject:

ISIS will wait until the rufugees take root. Then they'll carry out an attack. This will create more division between Muslims and the rest of the world. This will lead to more radical converts down the line due to backlash Muslims will get for the attack. Rinse and repeat until they've got their holy war on a world wide scale.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:36 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Why do you assume that people who disagree with your position aren't aware of basic facts?

No, she notices when the facts are absent in or contradict an opinion.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:54 am    Post subject:

Classy move by U2 last night at the end of their show in Paris. Invited Eagles of Death Metal (the band whose show was attacked) on stage at the end, saying "They were robbed of their stage three weeks ago. We'd like to offer them ours tonight." They all did "People Have the Power" as an ensemble, then U2 left the stage & let EODM finish out the show with one of their own songs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17
Page 17 of 17
Jump to: