Does playing the triangle mean BScott has lost Kobe?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:52 pm    Post subject: Does playing the triangle mean BScott has lost Kobe?

I read here that the Lakers started playing some Triangle sets. I assume that was Kobe's doing.

Does this mean Byron has lost Kobe and they are starting to tune him out?

This is what happened with MDA, right? Kobe started ignoring him and ran the triangle. Soon MDA was history....
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:54 pm    Post subject:

I think so. Kobe is the coach.
dmorans1
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Does playing the triangle mean BScott has lost Kobe?

Lakerpark wrote:
I read here that the Lakers started playing some Triangle sets. I assume that was Kobe's doing.

This is what happened with MDA, right? Kobe started ignoring him and ran the triangle. Soon MDA was history....

The Princeton offense is very similar to the triangle.

mde24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Does playing the triangle mean BScott has lost Kobe?

Lakerpark wrote:

Wishful Thinking...
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject:

Byron always said they would run some triangle. He said it last season so he isn't against it.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:36 pm    Post subject:

Why not just run high pick n rolls like rest of the league? Why always have to be these out dated complicated half court sets whether it's triangle or Princeton
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject:

Well you need to have some kind of system in addition to high PnR, this isn't 2008 anymore. Not saying the Triangle or Princeton are the right moves.

Also haven't the Lakers always used good amount of triangle this year when Kobe's in? Don't think that means Byron has lost Kobe.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I think so. Kobe is the coach.

Kobe has been teaching the triangle to the guys on their off days.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject:

Haha I was wondering why I was seeing so many triangle sets yesterday. Glad they're running some form of an offense instead of dribble for 15 seconds trying to develop one play, watch it not work, try a P&R, have it cut off and launching an off balanced rushed 3pt shot.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject:

They did 2-3 triangle sets at most and explored different options within the sets.

No big deal.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:49 pm    Post subject:

LGers are reading the tea leaves for signs of Scott's dismissal. Lol can't blame you. I want the dude gone too.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
They did 2-3 triangle sets at most and explored different options within the sets.

No big deal.

Yeah, it was just some basic sets to get spacing, and much better than the Princeton, Chin, and Floppy sets we have been running. It tends to put Kobe around the elbow more too
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject:

I'd go more Triangle as the season progresses; I'd slowly scrap whatever Byron does...
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:34 pm    Post subject:

So can this be considered a mutiny or does Byron have some flexibility after all?
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:37 pm    Post subject:

More important is that they actually ran it well. And we won - well we won the part of the game where the talent that knows and can run it did it well.

You put Kobe, Lamar, Pau in their primes on any team in the league, with some quality support at 3 and 1, and they'd beat up on anyone and everyone running the Tri. With the Tri spacing, it's so easy to break into 2 man games like PnR and even just setting up your best 1 on 1 players to be able to get better looks towards the basket. I personally have just enjoyed the spacing, because if the team even fills the spots well, just out of that, you can open a lot of holes in defenses.

Last night we saw a little bit of that with Kobe, Randle, Russ and Clarkson. Just a wee bit. It was my most enjoyable game of the season - well the parts that the starters were in. Not coincidentally it was also the first time Russ/Randle/Clarkson all had strong games together. Hibbert's big body and post presence is also a bigger asset in an offense like the Tri.

And of course, all for nothing, as Byron's ridiculous subs cost LA the game
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:11 pm    Post subject:

It makes it easier to run the triangle IMHO because there are specific spots on the floor to move to deliberately.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject:

No they ran triangle sets last year. Byron also ran them in Cleveland.
gill2k
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:04 pm    Post subject:

Bean for interim coach?
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject:

Triangle's in the Princeton. Just simpler. Just means we ran simpler sets. And low and behold it worked. For as long as we ran it..
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:59 pm    Post subject:

Scott has always had a basic triangle set he's run and the high post split plays that are pretty much triangle. What they did last night was run long stretches of triangle/split action while scrapping the floppy, chin series, etc. They've never gone that much triangle all season or probably all last year. It was a fairly significant shift, IMO, from how they normally run things.
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:02 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Scott has always had a basic triangle set he's run and the high post split plays that are pretty much triangle. What they did last night was run long stretches of triangle/split action while scrapping the floppy, chin series, etc. They've never gone that much triangle all season or probably all last year. It was a fairly significant shift, IMO, from how they normally run things.

And hopefully it continues.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:24 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:

It was interesting that the first six minutes were basically all triangle (or triangle-lite), and then they switched to a couple high post splits in a row after that. It seemed to go by units. When Nance and Metta came in, they basically alternated between spread pick and roll (with the four man spotting up) and Princeton sets, which continued with the rest of the bench unit.

It seemed pre-planned. Not the most inspired stuff, but with the starters, it was miles better than what Byron had them running before. At least the triangle gets the ball moving a couple times before the shot, with the right people involved. Triangle floor balance principles also helped them a bit in transition D, and I was also glad to see players finally beginning to move back towards the backcourt when the shot went up.

They did run the floppy set at least once. Russell gave the thumbs up signal like 5 times in a row and the opposing team (probably the coach) yelled "Floppy, floppy, floppy!". Needless to say, they didn't get anything out of it.

One thing I liked were the Princeton low post splits. Really hard to guard, which is why you see the Warriors doing a lot of it.
DrumR
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:27 am    Post subject:

Practice wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

And hopefully it continues.

God willing
DrumR
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

It was interesting that the first six minutes were basically all triangle (or triangle-lite), and then they switched to a couple high post splits in a row after that. It seemed to go by units. When Nance and Metta came in, they basically alternated between spread pick and roll (with the four man spotting up) and Princeton sets, which continued with the rest of the bench unit.

It seemed pre-planned. Not the most inspired stuff, but with the starters, it was miles better than what Byron had them running before. At least the triangle gets the ball moving a couple times before the shot, with the right people involved. Triangle floor balance principles also helped them a bit in transition D, and I was also glad to see players finally beginning to move back towards the backcourt when the shot went up.

They did run the floppy set at least once. Russell gave the thumbs up signal like 5 times in a row and the opposing team (probably the coach) yelled "Floppy, floppy, floppy!". Needless to say, they didn't get anything out of it.

One thing I liked were the Princeton low post splits. Really hard to guard, which is why you see the Warriors doing a lot of it.

The bench seemed to be running that horrible crap. That and Lou Williams ' game has completely fallen off. I'm amused to see we're still where shooters come to die. Who's the last "shooter" we've signed that's lived up to their billing. Maybe Swaggy if his numbers hold up this season, but who cares we're losing.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: