Frank Gifford dies at 84

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:14 am    Post subject: Frank Gifford dies at 84

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/09/frank-gifford-dies-at-84/?utm_source=fantasyleaguegm.com

Quote:
Frank Gifford dies at 84

Giants Hall of Fame running back Frank Gifford has passed away, one week shy of his 85th birthday.

“It is with the deepest sadness that we announce the sudden passing of our beloved husband, father and friend, Frank Gifford,” the Gifford family said in a statement released to NBC News. “Frank died suddenly this beautiful Sunday morning of natural causes at his Connecticut home. We rejoice in the extraordinary life he was privileged to live, and we feel grateful and blessed to have been loved by such an amazing human being. We ask that our privacy be respected at this difficult time and we thank you for your prayers.”

An eight-time Pro Bowler at three different positions and former NFL MVP, Gifford led the Giants to the 1956 championship, captured with a win over the Bears.

A running back before a brutal hit from the late Chuck Bednarik knocked Gifford out of football for 18 months (he actually retired in 1961), Gifford returned in 1962 as a flanker — winning the league’s comeback player of the year award and becoming a Pro Bowler all over again. (Gifford previously qualified for the Pro Bowl as a cornerback, too.)

He finished his playing career in 1964, generating 3,609 receiving yards and 5,434 receiving yards. Gifford scored 77 touchdowns from scrimmage, and he added another on an interception return. As a part-time kicker in 1952 and 1956, he made 10 extra points and two field goals.

The Hall of Fame welcomed Gifford as a member in 1977.

Gifford’s broadcasting career was arguably even more memorable, given his role as play-by-play announcer for the fabled Monday Night Football booth that included Howard Cosell and Don Meredith. In 1995, Gifford received separate recognition from the Hall of Fame for his work in TV. He remained a fixture on MNF through 1998.

We extend our condolences to Gifford’s family, friends, teammates, and television colleagues.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:39 am    Post subject:

The man led a great life, I was too young to enjoy his football play but loved his work on TV.
Agent P
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:56 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
The man led a great life, I was too young to enjoy his football play but loved his work on TV.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/09/john-mara-frank-gifford-was-the-ultimate-giant/

Quote:
John Mara: Frank Gifford was the ultimate Giant

Pro Football Hall of Famer Frank Gifford died at the age of 84 on Sunday and the owners of the team he played for during the 1950s and 1960s took time to remember his legacy.

The Mara family founded the Giants, which meant current co-owner John Mara grew up around the team and Gifford. He referenced that lifelong relationship as well as Gifford’s importance to the franchise in a statement.

“Frank Gifford was the ultimate Giant,” Mara said. “He was the face of our franchise for so many years. More importantly, he was a treasured member of our family. My father loved him like a son and was proud to act as his presenter for the Pro Football Hall of Fame, a favor Frank returned years later by presenting my father in Canton. For my siblings and me, Frank was like a revered older brother whom we looked up to and admired. We loved him and will miss him terribly.”

The Tisch family didn’t buy into the Giants until after Gifford had moved into the broadcast booth, but Steve Tisch recalled his father’s friendship while calling Gifford a “member of my family” on Sunday.

“Not only was Frank a member of the Giants family from the time he left USC, and will be forever, but because Frank, my father (Bob) and Pete Rozelle were so close in the ’60s, I felt like he was a member of my family. I always loved seeing Frank on our sideline before our games. He had the handshake of a 25-year old, and he looked you right in the eye with his big blue eyes. He was such a strong person in every way. He will be missed and will always be remembered as a Giants’ Giant.”

Gifford spent his entire playing career with the Giants and ranks first in franchise history with 78 touchdowns. He also ranks second in receiving yards and seventh in rushing yards during 12 seasons that also saw him play defense, return kicks and occasionally throw passes.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:33 pm    Post subject:

Times Have Changed
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject:

He is survived by the stewardess he tried to get anal from.
Qsmiff
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:23 am    Post subject:

R.I.P. Sir......those of us old enough, know how iconic MNF was Frank, Howard, and Dandy Don.......and the halftime highlights..... job well done!
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
He is survived by the stewardess he tried to get anal from.

Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:37 pm    Post subject:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/11/25/family-says-frank-gifford-had-cte/

Quote:
Family says Frank Gifford had CTE

Earlier this year, Hall of Famer Frank Gifford died at the age of 84. His family has now announced that a team of pathologists has determined that Gifford suffered from Chronic Traumatic Encephelopathy.

“While Frank passed away from natural causes this past August at the age of 84, our suspicions that he was suffering from the debilitating effects of head trauma were confirmed,” says the statement from the Gifford family.

“During the last years life Frank dedicated himself to understanding the recent revelations concerning the connection between repetitive head trauma and its associated cognitive and behavioral symptoms — which he experienced firsthand,” the statement adds.

Gifford played decades before the NFL acknowledged the potential problems arising from concussions and subconcussive hit. Gifford once missed more than a full season after being knocked out by Eagles linebacker Chuck Bednarik.

Under the pending NFL concussion settlement, the posthumous diagnosis makes Gifford’s estate eligible for compensation from a pool that the league has agreed to fund without limitation.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: