The Logo: "Bothers me the Lakers are in Woeful Shape; they're Basketball is Not Appealing"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:33 pm    Post subject:

If that's not a direct shot at Jim Buss I don't know what it. Single handily destroyed this organization.
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject:

Hydro21 wrote:
ReaListik wrote:
akk7 wrote:
The Lakers are rebuilding. Rebuilding usually is never pretty. You just constantly have to hear about it in the media simply because it's the Lakers.

I don't really have an issue with how the Lakers are rebuilding. The only issue that I have is the coaching. And unfortunately that's a big issue and that's why this rebuilding time looks awful. This roster is a 30-35 win team and doesn't have money locked into mid-tier players. Just a few years ago we won 27 games with a much worse roster.

But on the flip side if we didn't have Byron we probably wouldn't keep our pick last year and Russell looks like he'll be a great player in the future.

Putting it in perspective - this team will be lucky to win 20 all year.

You have high hopes .

Just to make it clear since I don't think verbalized it well, I meant the roster itself is good for 30-35 wins. The coaching is so bad it has caused such an awful record.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:45 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
It definitely isn't appealing. I watched almost every game the last two seasons, but if not for Randle, Russell, Clarkson, Nance and hopefully Brown, I wouldn't bother this season. I wanted to give Byron the benefit of the doubt but he is worse this season than last.

This. The young guys are why I"m tuning in.

It's painful to watch, and frankly I have to really make myself do it given the circumstances. But I figure if I'm going to bank on the future, I need to see what's in store.
watchME
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:53 pm    Post subject:

when he says "bothers me" i understand what he means... man it's so fustrating seeing the team you love play so selfishly and not having a coach to change it sucks
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject:

bonkers wrote:
Will Magic tweet about this?

"Jerry West is absolutely right. Saddens me to see how far our great Laker team has fallen. Credit to Coach Scott for keeping the ship afloat during these hard times!"

I could totally see Magic tweeting this out
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:17 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
It definitely isn't appealing. I watched almost every game the last two seasons, but if not for Randle, Russell, Clarkson, Nance and hopefully Brown, I wouldn't bother this season. I wanted to give Byron the benefit of the doubt but he is worse this season than last.

This. The young guys are why I"m tuning in.

It's painful to watch, and frankly I have to really make myself do it given the circumstances. But I figure if I'm going to bank on the future, I need to see what's in store.

Welcome to the lounge!
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:31 pm    Post subject:

Who knew the remedy to the glory days virus was to go back another generation.
watchME
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
If that's not a direct shot at Jim Buss I don't know what it. Single handily destroyed this organization.
it's not a shot at jim. Jim got us great great players. His only mistake was byron. I think he is talking about the style of play, our philosophies.. 1 on 1 basketball

Russell
Clarkson
Randle
Nance
60 millions to spend (flexibility)

and even

Hibbert
Lou williams

can be part of our future

So he did put us in a good situation. He csn automatically fix this mess by firing scott and hiring a someone from the spurs camp that knows nothing but ball movement. Becky. Sign nash as an assistant coach he will help russell.. sign some good players we are back.
lakerfan2012
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:45 pm    Post subject:

And Jerry West is more "old school" than Byron or any of his Showtime buddy supporters.
Chad09
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject:

lakerfan2012 wrote:
And Jerry West is more "old school" than Byron or any of his Showtime buddy supporters.

Lakers had a Jerry West in Phil, but they decided they didn't need his talents and went with someone with much less talent than him.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:15 pm    Post subject:

let's see..

-we have an aging superstar playing out of position
-an exceptional 2nd year PG playing out of position
-a PF who is essentially a rookie-
-an outcast Center
-all being led by a struggling rookie PG...

yeah, quite easy to know why we are playing this kind of basketball. Lakers FO (bleep) the bed.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:50 pm    Post subject:

Chad09 wrote:
lakerfan2012 wrote:

Lakers had a Jerry West in Phil, but they decided they didn't need his talents and went with someone with much less talent than him.

Phil had never been a GM, he was nothing like Jerry West. West has built title teams, Phil had not.
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject:

Jerry West and Kupchak built all the teams... Phil had nothing to do with them thank god. If it was up to Phil, Kobe would have been traded early on and we would have never drafted Bynum. Remember he wanted Kobe gone....
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: West: "It bothers me the Lakers are in Woeful shape; they're basketball is Not Appealing..."

Jordan-esque wrote:
@knbrmurph:
Jerry West to KNBR on the Lakers: "It does bother me" to see his old team, the Lakers, in such "woeful shape. They just don't play the type of basketball that is appealing nor the winning kind of basketball."

Miss the logo.

When he was here, I always knew that in time, he eventually would put the pieces together to form a competitive and winning team.

West's guidance and Dr. Buss's faith in West really help the franchise become what it is today.

I wonder what Jim Buss will say now. In his previous interview, Buss stated ...

"If Jerry West said 'Jim Buss doesn't know what the hell he's doing', that would hurt. I don't know what I would do then," Buss said.

http://www.thescore.com/nba/news/859116

Now what does Jim Buss think?
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:05 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
West is right, but I bet the people who whine about other former Lakers saying things like this "because how it impacts FA" won't say a word here.

This is what happens when you have no planning with your coaching hires - outside of knowing you want capspace and don't have issues with lottery picks year after year. Many teams are doing same, but the successful ones hire the right coach and bring in FA's that compliment their young draft picks quicker than the Lakers have shown.

It's not dire - but we certainly could have done a better job the last 2 years to add some complimentary talent and hire a halfway decent HC who could last 4 years at one place.

I think it is. The next two years presents a huge opportunity in terms of Free Agency. Whiffing again because of all the things you correctly stated is going to be a massive blow.

I think it's dire too. I've been watching basketball for a long time and you see teams like the Bucks or Clippers and you think "Man, they've sucked forever", then you look at the personel decisions that have been made and you see why. When you start compounding bad decision after bad decision, you look up one day and find yourself in a hole you can't get out of....and the Lakers are finding themselves very close to that hole.

Unless Durant signs here in the off-season I don't see us making it past the 1st round of the playoffs the rest of this decade honestly, and it hurts like hell to say that but I can't get myself all excited about the direction of this franchise anymore only to be disapointed over and over again.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
let's see..

-an outcast Center
-all being led by a struggling rookie PG...

yeah, quite easy to know why we are playing this kind of basketball. Lakers FO (bleep) the bed.

the list is all true. but it still doesn't explain what we are seeing on the court as far as a plan or system or anything they are working towards. The only thing that makes sense is that they are trying to give the playmaking decisions to DR but he still isn't ready yet. if that's true, that means the org is basically acknowledging that they are not at all trying to win this year, and probably is fine with a bad or terrible record.

but I still wonder why all the players look like they don't know what is going on. simple plays that turn into iso is what we are seeing. But again, maybe they are also trying to learn what DaR is calling.

Also, this means the team is placing an exceptional amount of trust in DaR. Like they are invested in him for some time to come? which would be interesting to me because...well, what do they see? (I'm not saying he sucks) I'm saying they must see something that we really haven't seen as fans that is convincing them that yes, this is the right guy.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:16 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
West is right, but I bet the people who whine about other former Lakers saying things like this "because how it impacts FA" won't say a word here.

This is what happens when you have no planning with your coaching hires - outside of knowing you want capspace and don't have issues with lottery picks year after year. Many teams are doing same, but the successful ones hire the right coach and bring in FA's that compliment their young draft picks quicker than the Lakers have shown.

It's not dire - but we certainly could have done a better job the last 2 years to add some complimentary talent and hire a halfway decent HC who could last 4 years at one place.

I think it is. The next two years presents a huge opportunity in terms of Free Agency. Whiffing again because of all the things you correctly stated is going to be a massive blow.

I think it's dire too. I've been watching basketball for a long time and you see teams like the Bucks or Clippers and you think "Man, they've sucked forever", then you look at the personel decisions that have been made and you see why. When you start compounding bad decision after bad decision, you look up one day and find yourself in a hole you can't get out of....and the Lakers are finding themselves very close to that hole.

Unless Durant signs here in the off-season I don't see us making it past the 1st round of the playoffs the rest of this decade honestly, and it hurts like hell to say that but I can't get myself all excited about the direction of this franchise anymore only to be disapointed over and over again.

you might be right and in the end, Buss will resign as the EVP.

That will be interesting.
Dominator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
let's see..

-an outcast Center
[b]-all being led by a struggling rookie PG... [/b]

I realize that you have a relentless agenda against Russell and are just trolling, but by no definition is he struggling. Oh, and Clarkson is as much of a PG as Kobe is.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:07 pm    Post subject:

Clarkson is a PG.
Just not a PG you rely on for 10-12 assists a night.
He's more a dual SG/PG type.

But he's definitely got high level of PG skill. No doubt if Russ weren't a Laker, Clarkson would get more PG type of role like he had last year and be our main guy there. If anything, I still believe that PG's usually win when they are equally good at scoring and applying pressure on a D as they are passing to teammates. Clarkson is pretty good in this regard, so I wouldn't dismiss his ability to be a starting PG in the league.

I mean in March/April last year JC averaged 15.8 ppg/5.2 apg and 19.4 ppg/6.8 apg. The guy is legit starting caliber PG in the league. He's made a significant change this year in trying to play more off the ball in SPL, preseason and RS. I'm not sure it's served him very well but for our team's talent we need him in that role.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
novadolla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:51 pm    Post subject:

Please come back Jerry!
BasketballReasons?
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject:

If Jerry was still here, Byron will probably make him do some running up and down the court for that comment.

What a frustrating situation.
youcantguardme
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:25 pm    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:

No he didn't. David Stern is the one that set back the organization years. The veto of the Chris Paul trade set in motion the chain of events that put this franchise where it is. In fact, the Lakers probably have at least one more championship and would have never needed to rebuild as Kobe transitioned in to retirement. Free agents would have been easier to attract too. Once this event happened, there was no possible way that the Lakers could have avoided a major rebuilding period.

Losing Dwight was a blessing. He sucks. Having bad seasons resulted in draft picks that are 100% necessary to get enough assets to build a contender.

Embrace the tank. It will get us one more quality asset and it is the only way a top notch free agent comes here in the next few years.

I do blame Jim for awful coaching choices, but that is the least of the Laker problems. David ******* Stern is the devil.
TheLakerWay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:14 am    Post subject:

Sad to hear this but I'm glad West is telling it like it is. Byron Ball is outdated and horrible to witness, especially this year.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:46 am    Post subject:

I don't think these comments have anything to do with Jim Buss. Remember Jerry West's son is in the front office. He's referring to the style of play. It's a shot at Byron Scott if anyone.
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:55 am    Post subject:

youcantguardme wrote:
King Randle wrote:

No he didn't. David Stern is the one that set back the organization years. The veto of the Chris Paul trade set in motion the chain of events that put this franchise where it is. In fact, the Lakers probably have at least one more championship and would have never needed to rebuild as Kobe transitioned in to retirement. Free agents would have been easier to attract too. Once this event happened, there was no possible way that the Lakers could have avoided a major rebuilding period.

Losing Dwight was a blessing. He sucks. Having bad seasons resulted in draft picks that are 100% necessary to get enough assets to build a contender.

Embrace the tank. It will get us one more quality asset and it is the only way a top notch free agent comes here in the next few years.

I do blame Jim for awful coaching choices, but that is the least of the Laker problems. David ******* Stern is the devil.

The issue is that championship teams are not built based on the draft. You need high quality free agents, not necessarily all-stars or superstars that have a desire to play for your team. You need to be putting a quality product on the floor to allure the kind of players you want. No-one will come for a team full of rookies, rejects, and a below average coach. Jerry recognizes talent when he sees it and and most importantly, recognizes potential pairings to form solid teams.

If West had stuck around I don't see this team faltering to the level it has and you may potentially have seen the next franchise player for the Lakers emerge to take the mantle from Kobe. West is right on in his criticism.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: