General Professional Boxing Discussion Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 397, 398, 399 ... 512, 513, 514  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:29 pm    Post subject:

marga86 wrote:
i had it 115-113 for canelo

also -- he seems to want to fight GGG..

big mistake in my opinion, but hey if the kid has the confidence, lets see it. Hah.

You and I had similar score cards. I found it hard to score some rounds for either fighter.

Cotto landed more punches but Canelo landed harder in some rounds. Which way did you go? I went with the busy fighter who landed more.

I vaguely remember reading GGG isn't interested in coming down in weight. It's was either he or Ward, don't remember which.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Shaolin's Finest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty wrote:
Shaolin's Finest wrote:
Question about GGG...

Not a big boxing expert, so this may be a stupid question, but I've only been hearing his name mentioned recently. I thought he was an up and coming fighter, but I see that he's already 33 years old? Any reason why he hasn't been in many high profile fights yet? I know he is seen as one of the best fighters currently, but compared to Miguel Cotto, who is only 2 years older, who has fought Margarito, Pacquiao, Mayweather, Martinez, Trout, Judah, and Clottey. Looking at GGG's record, he is 34-0, but the only real "name" I see on his record is his last fight against Lemieux, and possibly Geale who Cotto also fought. I'm just a casual fan so there may be some names on his record I do not personally recognize, but I'm just curious as to why it's taken so long for him to be in the spotlight if he is such a great fighter? I see he started boxing professionally as early as 2006 but his hype has only started recently.

Last night they were talking about Cotto and his age, but GGG is only 2 years younger. He is only 3 years younger than Pacquiao, who is obviously already out of his prime. Seems to me that he is getting into the spotlight, getting his big fights (vs Canelo?) on the downside of his prime? Just curious if any of you experts can clear this up for me. Thanks!

Part of that is promotional. He wasn't getting US fights, until he finally got a break on HBO. In addition to that, once he did start making a name for himself by getting US TV broadcasts, the top fighters all have been avoiding him. Peter Quillin, Andy Lee, Danny Jacobs, Sergio Martinez (prior to getting demolished by Cotto)...None of the top middleweights wanted to fight him.

GGG hasn't been in as many wars as Cotto or Pacquiao. Keep in mind, Pacquiao started his pro career at 16! Cotto has been in so many wars against top opposition, just like Manny has. Kinda similar to what you saw with Sergio Martinez, pre-knee injuries. Sergio was in his prime, in his mid-late 30's. Because of his not getting a break for US TV exposure, his promotional team was having difficulty getting him fights. Even when he was in his prime, people were avoiding fighting him at 154 and 160. GGG is slightly different because he had an extended amateur career, as compared to Sergio, and has been in the sport longer than Sergio was, but the reason his age isn't taken into consideration is the fact that he has less mileage. It's no different than Kobe just 4-5 years ago. He was already reaching the downside of his prime, even though he was only 31-32 (which is typically the peak of a basketball player's prime). The reason for that was mileage he's had, in addition to entering the NBA straight out of HS.

Thanks a lot Laker_Dynasty, that explains a lot
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:11 am    Post subject:

I thought Cotto won. Cotto out boxed Canelo. Canelo did hit harder punches... by virtue of the Mayweather judging rule, Cotto should've won.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
marga86 wrote:

big mistake in my opinion, but hey if the kid has the confidence, lets see it. Hah.

You and I had similar score cards. I found it hard to score some rounds for either fighter.

Cotto landed more punches but Canelo landed harder in some rounds. Which way did you go? I went with the busy fighter who landed more.

I vaguely remember reading GGG isn't interested in coming down in weight. It's was either he or Ward, don't remember which.

I had cotto taking the first 2 rounds actually.. up until round 4 I was like.. ok this is gonna be a tough one.

Ultimately, I think canelo landed the bigger punches and even though Cotto threw more, I feel like canelo had some bright defensive moments.

Canelo would have to move up to fight GGG.. honestly though, GGG is a whole different monster, im really skeptical about canelo's chances in that fight.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject:

marga86 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
marga86 wrote:

I had cotto taking the first 2 rounds actually.. up until round 4 I was like.. ok this is gonna be a tough one.

Ultimately, I think canelo landed the bigger punches and even though Cotto threw more, I feel like canelo had some bright defensive moments.

Canelo would have to move up to fight GGG.. honestly though, GGG is a whole different monster, im really skeptical about canelo's chances in that fight.

IA, GGG is a monster. He reminds me of Sergey Kovalev. These two don't just go for the win, they try to destroy.

Gennady has improved in the boxing area. His jab is so much better and he's becoming more defensive.

He can take a licking and keep on ticking (he can take a punch). I see him walking Canelo down though I don't think he'll have to. Alvarez is not one that fights going backwards.

Canelo says he wants to fight GGG. That's ol skool, fight the best. Kudos Canelo.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:56 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
marga86 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
marga86 wrote:

IA, GGG is a monster. He reminds me of Sergey Kovalev. These two don't just go for the win, they try to destroy.

Gennady has improved in the boxing area. His jab is so much better and he's becoming more defensive.

He can take a licking and keep on ticking (he can take a punch). I see him walking Canelo down though I don't think he'll have to. Alvarez is not one that fights going backwards.

Canelo says he wants to fight GGG. That's ol skool, fight the best. Kudos Canelo.

Don't be fooled by Canelo's fake bravado! He is insisting on a catchweight at 155 despite weighing more than GGG on fight night. Oscar has also talked about letting this fight "marinate." Here's the translation: neither Canelo nor Golden Boy wants any part of GGG and the inevitable beatdown Canelo would receive. They want to wait until GGG gets too old or moves out of the division before they start negotiations (of course, with another catchweight involved).

Edit: GGG will be forced to accept the 155 catchweight, or Canelo will vacate the belt.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:52 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
marga86 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
marga86 wrote:

Don't be fooled by Canelo's fake bravado! He is insisting on a catchweight at 155 despite weighing more than GGG on fight night. Oscar has also talked about letting this fight "marinate." Here's the translation: neither Canelo nor Golden Boy wants any part of GGG and the inevitable beatdown Canelo would receive. They want to wait until GGG gets too old or moves out of the division before they start negotiations (of course, with another catchweight involved).

Edit: GGG will be forced to accept the 155 catchweight, or Canelo will vacate the belt.

I'm not fooled. I really believe Red would fight GGG. If it doesn't come to furition I think it'll be because De La Hoya doesn't want to lose his cash cow.

marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:06 am    Post subject:

It doesn't make sense for canelo to get near middle weight to fight GGG, he'd get crushed, and it doesn't make sense for GGG to move down to welterweight to fight canelo..

I mean if we wanna see this fight, something has to give.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:53 am    Post subject:

man.. GGG against Canelo.. going to be huge.. I just don't see Canelo coming out on top.. he'll suffer his first KO.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject:

Thugnomoe wrote:
man.. GGG against Canelo.. going to be huge.. I just don't see Canelo coming out on top.. he'll suffer his first KO.

I see in the future, Canelo opening tomato cans as will GGG.

A fight will be hyped to the max to milk the public for all it's worth. It won't be the magnitude of Manny, Floyd but it will make it into the top 5 by good promotions.

I would love to be a promoting firm for this one.

Nissan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject:

marga86 wrote:
It doesn't make sense for canelo to get near middle weight to fight GGG, he'd get crushed, and it doesn't make sense for GGG to move down to welterweight to fight canelo..

I mean if we wanna see this fight, something has to give.

It's very simple...

GGG will have to come down to 155 if he wants the fight. Canelo holds all the cards and all the power because Canelo doesn't need to fight GGG. GGG needs a fight with Canelo more than Canelo needs a fight with him. Canelo is now the biggest star in boxing and is the A-side on any card.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:43 pm    Post subject:

If Alvarez is holding the 160 lb. title, fight should be at 160 limit. Canelo can come in at 155 if he wants to. Golovkin should be able to come in at 159.9; no reason why this fight shouldn't happen especially when Canelo goes into a fight weight around 168-170 and GGG weighs around the same.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject:

This fight will be postponed, hyped, for at least two years.

If I were a betting man I'd bet Red and GGG next opponents will be second rate fighters. They're the current cash cows. Managements won't chance a loss for either.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:23 pm    Post subject:

Jermall Charlo looked good today against Wilky campfort. I'd like to see him in the ring with Canelo at 154.

marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject:

Mexican media reporting that September 2016 is the target date for the fight.

This is interesting, i didnt think canelo would straight up say he wants to fight GGG.. he must have a lot of faith on himself.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:11 pm    Post subject:

Wladimir Klitschko lost his belt to Tyson Fury. He'll never be a PPV fighter. He a wrestler more than a boxer. His fights are truly boring.

doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Jermall Charlo looked good today against Wilky campfort. I'd like to see him in the ring with Canelo at 154.

Haymon bringing the Charlo boys pretty slowly ...... dont see Canelo facing them especially after Oscar's lawsuit. May see them fight Lara though
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:18 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Wladimir Klitschko lost his belt to Tyson Fury. He'll never be a PPV fighter. He a wrestler more than a boxer. His fights are truly boring.

horrible fight, Vlad didnt even throw and you can't give rounds to guys who dont throw. Ugly wrestling match. Heavyweight Champion was a title up there with Dallas QB, Yankee SS and POTUS. Now, its in the hands of a dude that looked horrible.
Osei
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject:

marga86 wrote:

This is interesting, i didnt think canelo would straight up say he wants to fight GGG.. he must have a lot of faith on himself.

Canelo has never ducked anyone so this doesn't suprise. I mean this is a guy who fought Erislandy Lara and Austin Trout when Trout was undefeated... both very high-risk/low-reward fights.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:13 pm    Post subject:

Osei wrote:
marga86 wrote:

Canelo has never ducked anyone so this doesn't suprise. I mean this is a guy who fought Erislandy Lara and Austin Trout when Trout was undefeated... both very high-risk/low-reward fights.

Unfortunately Canelo won't be the one to make the decision. Golden Boy's not likely to put him in the ring with GGG. He's one of their cash cows.

Nissan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Osei wrote:
marga86 wrote:

Unfortunately Canelo won't be the one to make the decision. Golden Boy's not likely to put him in the ring with GGG. He's one of their cash cows.

What are you talking you? GBP doesn't decide who Canelo will fight next. Canelo makes his own decisions and he is the only one who decides who he will fight next.
Osei
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:04 pm    Post subject:

Nissan wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Osei wrote:
marga86 wrote:

What are you talking you? GBP doesn't decide who Canelo will fight next. Canelo makes his own decisions and he is the only one who decides who he will fight next.

Exactly. No way in hell Golden Boy would've matched Canelo up with an extremely dangerous, non fan-friendly fighter like Lara but that was Canelo's decision. See link: http://www.badlefthook.com/2014/7/8/5880027/oscar-de-la-hoya-canelo-vs-lara-was-not-my-first-choice-but-it-was

It will be Canelo's decision whether or not he fights GGG and IMO it's 100% he'll fight him if they can agree on the weight...
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:54 am    Post subject:

Osei wrote:
Nissan wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Osei wrote:
marga86 wrote:

Exactly. No way in hell Golden Boy would've matched Canelo up with an extremely dangerous, non fan-friendly fighter like Lara but that was Canelo's decision. See link: http://www.badlefthook.com/2014/7/8/5880027/oscar-de-la-hoya-canelo-vs-lara-was-not-my-first-choice-but-it-was

It will be Canelo's decision whether or not he fights GGG and IMO it's 100% he'll fight him if they can agree on the weight...

I hope you guys are right. I can see Oscar cornering Canelo, talking money and trying to get him to change his mind.

doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject:

Best fight of the past couple weeks was that Muira v. Vargas fight on the Canelo-Cotto card. Just a great fight and I remember Vargas fighting in Indio on Wilder's card. He had some dude with him who's face was tatted up. Just a really good scrap.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
Best fight of the past couple weeks was that Muira v. Vargas fight on the Canelo-Cotto card. Just a great fight and I remember Vargas fighting in Indio on Wilder's card. He had some dude with him who's face was tatted up. Just a really good scrap.

Lara looked the best I've seen him in a while, against his opponent, even though it was obviously a stay busy fight. Jermall Charlo looked really good this past weekend also (and huge for jr. middleweight). He had trouble making weight, so I wonder how long he's going to stay around before making the jump to 160.

Klitschko vs. Fury was as boring as I anticipated, but it got strange when he sang to his girlfriend after the fight...LOL...wtf? I am surprised at how Fury out boxed Wladimir. From what I read, there's a mandatory rematch? I'd still love to see Deontay vs. the winner of the rematch or if the rematch doesn't happen, Deontay vs. Fury. I'm also wondering how many more fights until Anthony Joshua becomes a true contender against one of the top guys at heavyweight. The heavyweight from the US, Brazeale (sp?), doesn't impress me at all.

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 397, 398, 399 ... 512, 513, 514  Next
Page 398 of 514
Jump to: