Harrison Barnes Free Agency

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject: Harrison Barnes Free Agency

Warriors trying to set up Harrison Barnes to get paid this summer

Quote:
Barnes is averaging a career-high 14.2 points per game on 50% shooting. He’s moving the ball better, and his ability to guard bigger players is a big asset to the Warriors.

He’s going to get paid. Barnes will probably receive at least one max-contract offer in restricted free agency, though I wouldn’t be surprised if he stays in Golden State for a little less.

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2015/11/23/andre-iguodala-warriors-trying-to-set-up-harrison-barnes-to-get-paid-this-summer/
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:08 pm    Post subject:

Do the Warriors have the cap space to sign Durant if they let him walk?

Curry
Thompson
Durant
Green
Bogut

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:48 pm    Post subject:

Barnes is good, I would love to pry him loose from the Warriors.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:36 pm    Post subject:

I can't wait to see him in the Byron Scott offense.
Money23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:28 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

Curry
Thompson
Durant
Green
Bogut

Yes they do and this is why they didnt sign Barnes and Ezeli yet, people around league really think they really do have a shot at Durant

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba-news/4661347-kevin-durant-warriors-free-agency-thunder-wizards-stephen-curry-golden-state

this article explains how they can trade expiring contracts of Iggy and Bogut rather easily and get the cap space to sign him. They have to get agreement from Durant and if he wants to come to GSW. Lacob and the gang will make it happen and the scary part about it is they can actually keep Barnes and Ezeli!! two core pieces and even tho they have to sacrifice their bench you know damn well free agents will sign for the low to join the Golden State Globetrotters

Curry
Thompson
Durant/Barnes
Green
Ezeli

WHO STOPS THEM??? how do you stop the Curry/Durant PNR and the Warriors can still use that "Death Star" Small ball lineup!!

That team if Healthy can win 75 games LEGIT and all this can really happen!!! due to the cap rising and great cap flexibility by the Warriors

Last edited by Money23 on Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:00 pm; edited 4 times in total
SOLakerFan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:24 am    Post subject:

I wouldn't mind if the Lakers offer Barnes a max contract the first day of free agency. Force the Warriors to choose Barnes or a pursuit of Durant. We might be overpaying, but we still have Randle and Russel on rookie contracts so it wouldn't hurt too much.

If we are successful in pursuing Whiteside, I'd also consider offering a contract to Ezeli. He's a young, athletic big with some upside. Make the Warriors overpay to keep their team together.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:33 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Barnes is good, I would love to pry him loose from the Warriors.

he is very good.

he's also one of these guys, i feel, who could not be nearly as good all of a sudden on the wrong team. like a young odom, but less extreme.
ainsley
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:23 am    Post subject:

Barnes isn't anything special. He's a good 3 and D player on a championship team - not worth the max.

Someone is going to overpay him. I hope it isn't the Lakers
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:47 am    Post subject:

ainsley wrote:
Barnes isn't anything special.

Really??
MIZ83
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:05 pm    Post subject:

ainsley wrote:
Barnes isn't anything special. He's a good 3 and D player on a championship team - not worth the max.

Someone is going to overpay him. I hope it isn't the Lakers

Barnes is a tough decision for Golden State, I'm sure. He was primarily a 3 and D player last year, as you said. This year, he 3FG% had dropped, last time I checked, but he is scoring better from mid-range. He seems to be finishing more easily. Barnes has stepped up with big shots in important games during his career. He is an important defensive player when GSW goes to their cheat code lineup, because he is strong enough to guard 4's. He does work hard on his game, and he is improving. That said, he isn't the best SF on his team. Is he a max player? Not in years past. Now? I don't know.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject:

21m is his "max." That's below the 25m and 29m "maxes." And in 2017 it goes up even further. He's worth that 21m.
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:44 am    Post subject:

He isn't that good. I don't even see him reaching Leonard's ceiling.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:03 am    Post subject:

CBaller8 wrote:

Yeah, forget the guy, he will never be Lebron. No reason to pursue a slacker like that.
MIZ83
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
CBaller8 wrote:

Yeah, forget the guy, he will never be Lebron. No reason to pursue a slacker like that.

What I worry about with HB for the Lakers is that he is somewhat a product of the system. He has elite explosion along with strength. He isn't fluid, however.
There is a common narrative that Barnes would blossom if given more responsibility on another team. He didn't do well when asked to be a focal point of the offense on the second unit under Jackson. Under Kerr's system, he can catch and shoot, or he can take advantage of people running out to defend the 3 by taking a dribble or two and pulling up. He can finish if he can get close to the rim before meeting opposition. He can't create if he gets the ball, has to beat his man, then deal with a defender waiting for him. He is a third or fourth option. He is the 6th or 7th best player on the W's. His main value for them is that he becomes a competent short term stretch 4 when they go to the nuclear option lineup. Maybe max deals for such players is the direction the league is going. I'm not sure a team taking HB away from the W's with such a deal is going to get their money's worth. That said, he is young still, and he does work hard on his game.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
ainsley wrote:

Really??

He's good, but special? I know I had this debate with you a few years ago, but Barnes is possibly GST's 6th most important player. He's shown he can do some good things, but he's not a top 3-4 guy on a very good team. Solid support player - but special isn't the word I'd use.

That said, I'm not saying a team would be wrong in paying Barnes significant money, just don't expect a top 3-4 player on a good team. For us as a team that needs a starting SF, I'd take him without question.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:13 pm    Post subject:

Money23 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Curry
Thompson
Durant
Green
Bogut

Yes they do and this is why they didnt sign Barnes and Ezeli yet, people around league really think they really do have a shot at Durant

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba-news/4661347-kevin-durant-warriors-free-agency-thunder-wizards-stephen-curry-golden-state

this article explains how they can trade expiring contracts of Iggy and Bogut rather easily and get the cap space to sign him. They have to get agreement from Durant and if he wants to come to GSW. Lacob and the gang will make it happen and the scary part about it is they can actually keep Barnes and Ezeli!! two core pieces and even tho they have to sacrifice their bench you know damn well free agents will sign for the low to join the Golden State Globetrotters

Curry
Thompson
Durant/Barnes
Green
Ezeli

WHO STOPS THEM??? how do you stop the Curry/Durant PNR and the Warriors can still use that "Death Star" Small ball lineup!!

That team if Healthy can win 75 games LEGIT and all this can really happen!!! due to the cap rising and great cap flexibility by the Warriors

I could definitely see them dumping Iggy and Bogut in favor of Durant if they don't win the chip again this year.

Even if they do they'd be fools to not at least consider it.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject:

SOLakerFan wrote:
I wouldn't mind if the Lakers offer Barnes a max contract the first day of free agency. Force the Warriors to choose Barnes or a pursuit of Durant...

It doesn't work that way. With the moratorium, the Warriors will have at least 10 days to match the offer...that's plenty of time to wait for Durant to make his decision.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
ocho wrote:
ainsley wrote:

Really??

He's good, but special? I know I had this debate with you a few years ago, but Barnes is possibly GST's 6th most important player. He's shown he can do some good things, but he's not a top 3-4 guy on a very good team. Solid support player - but special isn't the word I'd use.

That said, I'm not saying a team would be wrong in paying Barnes significant money, just don't expect a top 3-4 player on a good team. For us as a team that needs a starting SF, I'd take him without question.

I'm not sure anyone expects him to be the focal point, more like a superior jack-of-all trades role player. I see him having Batum-like impact and there's plenty of talk about Batum getting the 25m+ max.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
ocho wrote:
ainsley wrote:

Really??

I'm not sure anyone expects him to be the focal point, more like a superior jack-of-all trades role player. I see him having Batum-like impact and there's plenty of talk about Batum getting the 25m+ max.

Batum is a much better playmaker. On a team with a ball dominant starting PG in Kemba, a ball dominant backup PG in Lin and a postup guy you drop the rock into and let him "work", he's averaging 4.5 assists on a fairly average usage rate. If I had a choice, I'd take Batum.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
ocho wrote:
ainsley wrote:

Really??

I mean if we are talking about being one of the best players in the league I guess but not that many people can score, defend, shoot and make plays. Yoing, unselfish, championship experience. Exactly how high is our free agent bar?
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:53 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
ocho wrote:
ainsley wrote:

Really??

I mean if we are talking about being one of the best players in the league I guess but not that many people can score, defend, shoot and make plays. Yoing, unselfish, championship experience. Exactly how high is our free agent bar?

Nah, I agree he's a good player. I'm just saying if I'm throwing out 20+M, I'd want to nitpick just a bit. I don't know what's going on in either guy's minds but I can't see Batum being anymore diffucult to obtain than Barnes. All things being equal, I'm taking Batum.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: