3%  [ 3 ]
OTHER (explain)
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 88

Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:03 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Can't wait for the day when people stop equating what is happening with Syria to what happened with Japanese Americans during WW2.

Completely different scenarios and comparing the two is just ignorance that by today's definition, would be considered flat out racist.

I hear you. I wish people would stop equating what happened in Paris with syrian refugees...
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Can't wait for the day when people stop equating what is happening with Syria to what happened with Japanese Americans during WW2.

Completely different scenarios and comparing the two is just ignorance that by today's definition, would be considered flat out racist.

I hear you. I wish people would stop equating what happened in Paris with syrian refugees...

Would it be wrong to equate what happened in Paris with people from Syria?

I don't think it would.

Would you go on vacation to Syria right now and wear a t-shirt with the American flag on it while you check out the sights? I wouldn't. But does that make me Islamaphobic?

As for the comparison with internment camps -- sigh, the underlining ignorance/racism in the comparison is disappointing. And the fact that folks on all sides can't see it, is even more disappointing although not entirely surprising. (And it's what I mean when I say folks on the left, at times, like to use minorities and their plights as a "prop" to fuel their I'm-so-open-minded-and-all-loving agenda).

The internment travesty was primarily because it was American citizens that were being detained and the assumption was that if you had slanty eyes, your citizenship didn't matter. That's not what is happening with this Syria refugee discussion. And to compare the two is to completely disregard the factor of citizenship all over again.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject:

Oh, and one more thing. I know the popular internet thing to do is to create labels for things like "Islamaphobia" and then hash tag them and what not. But, those on the fence or even against the intake of Syrian refugees are not Islamaphobia. (Though, I have no doubt some are entirely racist).

If anything, it is Regionalphobia. (Yes, I made that up, haha). Fear of people from a very specific region (in this case, because the region is shared by those who wish to do harm to us).

If it were Islamaphobia, then why aren't people talking about halting immigration from Malaysia?
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:40 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
24 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

I don't think it would.

Would you go on vacation to Syria right now and wear a t-shirt with the American flag on it while you check out the sights? I wouldn't. But does that make me Islamaphobic?

As for the comparison with internment camps -- sigh, the underlining ignorance/racism in the comparison is disappointing. And the fact that folks on all sides can't see it, is even more disappointing although not entirely surprising. (And it's what I mean when I say folks on the left, at times, like to use minorities and their plights as a "prop" to fuel their I'm-so-open-minded-and-all-loving agenda).

The internment travesty was primarily because it was American citizens that were being detained and the assumption was that if you had slanty eyes, your citizenship didn't matter. That's not what is happening with this Syria refugee discussion. And to compare the two is to completely disregard the factor of citizenship all over again.

I don't like your bolded point. I wouldn't do that in some South American countries either. Countries where Catholicism or Christianity is the predominant religion, but Americans still can get robbed, drugged, kidnapped, maybe even have an organ removed.

The whole, wearing an American shirt test isn't very convincing to me.

Heck as a black man, there are areas in the deep south of America I wouldn't go to alone. Nevermind what shirt I'm wearing.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:06 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
24 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

I don't think it would.

I don't like your bolded point. I wouldn't do that in some South American countries either. Countries where Catholicism or Christianity is the predominant religion, but Americans still can get robbed, drugged, kidnapped, maybe even have an organ removed.

Heck as a black man, there are areas in the deep south of America I wouldn't go to alone. Nevermind what shirt I'm wearing.

Why wouldn't you travel to those places?

You're assuming they all want to do you harm? I know dozens of people, across a variety of genders and races, that have traveled to those places and they're all fully intact.

Xenophobia?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:03 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
kikanga wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
24 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

I don't think it would.

You're assuming they all want to do you harm? I know dozens of people, across a variety of genders and races, that have traveled to those places and they're all fully intact.

Xenophobia?

Are you really naive enough to assume what was posed is not a truism? You don't know enough about the deep south to know it's not safe for Black men to do certain things?

There are still places in the deep south that will lynch a Black man for whistling at a White woman.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
kikanga wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
24 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

I don't think it would.

Xenophobia?

Are you really naive enough to assume what was posed is not a truism? You don't know enough about the deep south to know it's not safe for Black men to do certain things?

There are still places in the deep south that will lynch a Black man for whistling at a White woman.

Jodeke, I don't know if you read my other posts, but the post you quoted, I was taking the opposite position to prove my point. I share the same sentiment as you on this one (in as far as being on the fence on this issue).

My point is that it is not necessarily Islamaphobia that is the driving force behind why a person would be on the fence about taking in refugees. Just as it isn't necessarily xenophobia that is the driving force around why kikanga or yourself might feel concerned about traveling in parts of South America.

It's just popular to do that these days, particularly from the left (but also from the right). Oh, if you don't want this, then you are a bigot. If you don't want it my way, you are a racist. If you don't want what I want, you are an islamaphobic xenophobe (lmao). If you don't believe what I believe, you are anti-religion. I mean, I just don't get why people do it like this.

The real reason I'd rather take in an immigrant from France than a refugee from Syria? Nothing to do with Islam because I'd happily accept an immigrant from Malaysia where over 60 percent of the population is Islamic. Syria is a region that hosts a large faction of people that want to do serious harm to the United States, its citizens, and allies. France doesn't have that. So I'm factionofpeoplewhowanttodoharmtome-phobic. Not Islamaphobic.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

It isn't just Black men that would be in real danger. An "All American Looking Blond White boy" wearing this T Shirt in Natches Mississippi out to a Honky Tonk Bar isn't likely to have a nice end to his night:

Southern Lynch-Worthy T-Shirt

Southerners can be very Sharia-Like when it comes to their hate. In fact, many Southerners are indistinguishable from their Muslim Extremist bretheren when it comes to their religious based views on gender roles, and can be worse than their Muslim counterparts when it comes to racial based hate. Violent Christian Extremists have been a core part of Americana since this countries inception.

Perhaps the answer all along was we should have restricted the ability of White Southerners to migrate to other regions of the country and spread their obvious Anti-American hate. Thousands of Americans lose their lives every year due to the threats created by this violent contingent of Americans, and since we're so prone to "Group" punishment of entire races or nationalities - then perhaps the obvious answer would be to restrict Southern Caucasion migration as a whole, since even after 400 years, a portion of that group still exhibits such violent Anti-American tendencies.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:59 am    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
jodeke wrote:

It isn't just Black men that would be in real danger. An "All American Looking Blond White boy" wearing this T Shirt in Natches Mississippi out to a Honky Tonk Bar isn't likely to have a nice end to his night:

Southern Lynch-Worthy T-Shirt

Southerners can be very Sharia-Like when it comes to their hate. In fact, many Southerners are indistinguishable from their Muslim Extremist bretheren when it comes to their religious based views on gender roles, and can be worse than their Muslim counterparts when it comes to racial based hate. Violent Christian Extremists have been a core part of Americana since this countries inception.

Perhaps the answer all along was we should have restricted the ability of White Southerners to migrate to other regions of the country and spread their obvious Anti-American hate. Thousands of Americans lose their lives every year due to the threats created by this violent contingent of Americans, and since we're so prone to "Group" punishment of entire races or nationalities - then perhaps the obvious answer would be to restrict Southern Caucasion migration as a whole, since even after 400 years, a portion of that group still exhibits such violent Anti-American tendencies.

In fairness though, a black person wouldn't have to wear a particular t-shirt to see trouble. That's sort of the distinction.

You do bring up a good point though, and it's one I thought of when I was responding to Jodeke.

If we're to make the argument, as I have, that my concern is rooted in the clear and present danger in the populace of that region, then, shouldn't I also be concerned about someone from say, Alabama moving to California? You know, because of the clear and present danger in the populace of that region?

Because I'm not concerned at all about that.

Even still, my hesitation has nothing to with Islam, and I don't suspect it is the case with the majority of those equally hesitant, because I don't think any of us have concerns about Malaysian immigrants.

So now I'm trying to figure out how I'm able to justify, in my mind, one but not the other. It's not Islam, for sure.

I'm not black, but, if I were, and I learned that a white guy was moving in to my apartment complex, and he was from a town in Alabama where the lynching of black men wasn't uncommon, I would certainly feel concerned for my safety.

Not sure if that's wrong. Doesn't FEEL wrong.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

Quote:
I'm not black, but, if I were, and I learned that a white guy was moving in to my apartment complex, and he was from a town in Alabama where the lynching of black men wasn't uncommon, I would certainly feel concerned for my safety.

Not sure if that's wrong. Doesn't FEEL wrong.

I live in Los Angeles, not in an apartment, but if I did the White guy should be the one to feel concern.

I'm going to assume you voted NO in the poll.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

What? There are times when some of the wacky stuff on this board reminds me of the GOP debates.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject:

August 12, 2014 - Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

Quote:
A pair of police officers who are married murdered an unarmed black man without provocation because he was dating their daughter.

Shannon Kepler, 54, and Gina Kepler, 48, of Oklahoma City, Okla. are charged with first-degree murder for the inexplicable and inexcusable shooting death of Jeremy Lake, 19, as the young lovebirds walked over meet the girl’s parents before they opened fire on the teen boy.

According to KWTV, the senseless tragedy began when Lisa Kepler, 18, was kicked out of her parent’s home due to rampant behavioral issues. The rebellious daughter was dropped off at a homeless shelter in an attempt by her parents to give her a reality check.

But what took place next was not was the 24-year Tulsa Police Department veterans had intended. While getting oriented to homeless life, Lisa Kepler met Lake, a volunteer at the shelter. A friendship ensued and sexual attraction blossomed to the p0int where Lake brought Lisa Kepler into his home and provided her with food and a place to stay.

Their interracial romance was in full swing.

Last week, the two young lovers were walking near his home when Lisa spotted her parent’s SUV. Lisa Kepler and Lake decided to go over to the car and it was there that Lake introduced himself as Lisa’s boyfriend to Shannon and Gina Kepler.

According to the media report, at this point Shannon Kepler pulled out his gun and shot and killed Jeremy.

Lisa Kepler, horrified and dumbfounded, raced from the scene.

Shannon and Gina Kepler were soon arrested and charged with first-degree murder.

Southern Parents Find Out Daughter Dating Black Guy and Kill Him on the Spot

And Cultural Southern Race Violence Cuts Both Ways:

August 31st 2012, Savannah Georgia

Quote:
A Georgia man was left bloodied and bruised after he was brutally attacked for dating an African-American girl.

The interracial couple were strolling through Ellis Square, a public space in Savannah, shortly before midnight last Friday, when they say three black men began taunting them.

The provocation began as racial slurs, then the scoffers started blowing kisses and suddenly the trio jumped the boyfriend, Andrew Quade – who is white, beating him and leaving him barely conscious.

The violent response to the mixed-race romance has left the couple in shock that such vicious intolerance still exists.

‘This shouldn’t happen in this day in age. I know we’re in the South and all that, but it’s time for a change,’ the girlfriend, Olufisayo Bakre, told WTOC-TV news.

The couple say they were simply minding their own business as they walked through the Savannah spot, one of the busiest squares in the historic downtown, known for being the epitome of Southern charm.

Then the group targeted the couple.

‘One of them was making racial comments at us and one of the them was blowing kisses. It was a very aggravating situation to be in,’ Bakre explained.

White Man beat by Black Southerners for Dating Black Girl
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:

What? There are times when some of the wacky stuff on this board reminds me of the GOP debates.

AH I believe such is happening. Just because it's not in the news doesn't mean it's not happening.

Are you familiar with the deep south? There are back woods that are really back woods. Places where Blacks are still thought of as slaves.

IMM there are places where a Black man would be lynched for whistling at a White woman. GOP, call it wacky if you will, doesn't make it any less a possibility.

The KKK is alive and well.

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:10 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:

AH I believe such is happening. Just because it's not in the news doesn't mean it's not happening.

Are you familiar with the deep south? There are back woods that are really back woods. Places where Blacks are still thought of as slaves.

IMM there are places where a Black man would be lynched for whistling at a White woman. GOP, call it wacky if you will, doesn't make it any less a possibility.

I believe that was some kind of an attempt at humor and/or irony by AH that didn't translate.

He's way too intelligent and aware to act as if there isn't still a lot of deeply backward attitude and behavior in the South to this day (across the political and racial spectrum).
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I believe that was some kind of an attempt at humor and/or irony by AH that didn't translate.

He's way too intelligent and aware to act as if there isn't still a lot of deeply backward attitude and behavior in the South to this day (across the political and racial spectrum).

DMR to the rescue. Gotcha, it may be as you suggested.

Another look says to me he's equating the wacky stuff in the GOP debates to LG debates.

Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject:

No, I'm dead serious. You're saying that black men get lynched for whistling at a white woman. Yeah, half a century ago, stuff like that happened. If anything like that happens now, it makes the national headlines and people go to prison or death row. That's what happened with the Jasper incident a few years back. Jasper is only a couple hours from where I live. We executed one of the perpetrators, and the other got a life sentence.

There are definitely places in the deep south -- and elsewhere -- that are not safe for black people. But lynching a black man for whistling at a white woman? Come on. The Emmett Till case was in 1955.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:34 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
No, I'm dead serious. You're saying that black men get lynched for whistling at a white woman. Yeah, half a century ago, stuff like that happened. If anything like that happens now, it makes the national headlines and people go to prison or death row. That's what happened with the Jasper incident a few years back. Jasper is only a couple hours from where I live. We executed one of the perpetrators, and the other got a life sentence.

There are definitely places in the deep south -- and elsewhere -- that are not safe for black people. But lynching a black man for whistling at a white woman? Come on. The Emmett Till case was in 1955.

Believe as you will AH. There are areas in the south that are akin to conditions in the slavery days. I'm not talking about Emmet Till. I remember that case well.

My Uncle, in the 50's, was lynched for dating a White woman. This was in Ontario Virginia.

You're speaking on civilized south, I'm talking about deep south

There are places in the deep south where there is no law. I can't believe you're not aware of their existences.

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

The James Byrd case wasn't all that long ago. Dude was dragged behind a truck by some Aryan (bleep) until he died.

Things haven't changed nearly as much as you'd like to portray.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:27 pm    Post subject:

And I can't believe that you actually think this is true. I've been to a lot of places in the south, and I've seen a fair amount of racism and bigotry in the south and elsewhere. But I've never seen this "deep south where there is no law" that is "akin to conditions in the slavery days." Maybe its on some island off the coast of Louisiana. Some of the people who live down there make the cast of Swamp People look like Harvard grads.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:28 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

The James Byrd case wasn't all that long ago. Dude was dragged behind a truck by some Aryan (bleep) until he died.

That was Jasper. We executed the guy.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:36 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Great. But that doesn't change the fact that the incident happened much more recently than the 50's.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:29 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
And I can't believe that you actually think this is true. I've been to a lot of places in the south, and I've seen a fair amount of racism and bigotry in the south and elsewhere. But I've never seen this "deep south where there is no law" that is "akin to conditions in the slavery days." Maybe its on some island off the coast of Louisiana. Some of the people who live down there make the cast of Swamp People look like Harvard grads.

Your post lets me know you are aware. However minute, the conditions I mention are a reality.

But we digress

Side note:
Votes are still being cast. Interesting how close YES or NO are. Even got another of my ilk, UNDECIDED.....

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:59 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Didn't say offenders weren't punished, said the conditions exist.

Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:27 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Great. But that doesn't change the fact that the incident happened much more recently than the 50's.

I'm not going to chase a moving target. Yeah, there was a racially motivated murder in Jasper. No, it wasn't because a black man whistled at a white woman. Racially motivated murders happen across the country. This idea that lynchings happen in the lawless "deep south" is utter nonsense.
Number 7
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:31 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
24 wrote:
Halflife wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
The Syrian purport was a fake.

Immigration and the refugees are two entirely different issues, and this idea that because you have one issue, you shouldn't address others is ridiculous.

I have yet to see any anti-Syrian refugee arguments that are based on any substance - just fear and exclusion.

Fear? Sure a little, but there is a little with illegal immigration as well. Your argument is basically " it's just the moral thing to do". No different than the pres. Saying " we are better than that" when responding to those against it. It's ridiculous that we are constantly playing the morality police.

Yeah, it is a drag expecting us to do the right thing consistently.

I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not but it really is a drag.

We're always coming to the aid of other countries. When is the last time one came to ours?

France did.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9
Jump to: