OFFICIAL Class of 2015 Okafor/Mudiay/non-DLO Rookies Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 89, 90, 91  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:25 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
The smartest guy in this is Porzingis, who apparently knew how awful the Sixers organization is and refused to work out for them.

Okafor is stuck in that mess, it's eating away at him, and he's acted completely and utterly unprofessional. I know he's 19, and lord knows if you told me at 19 some of the things that fan was probably saying to JO, I'd throw a punch. But, Okafor's a pro now. He can't do it. A few games suspension is what he'll get, rightfully.

Damn. Porzingis and Noel together would have been sick, really. That's a lot of length mobility and altered shots. Zingy stretching the floor next to him would be perfect. Sixers messed up
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:26 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
The smartest guy in this is Porzingis, who apparently knew how awful the Sixers organization is and refused to work out for them.

Okafor is stuck in that mess, it's eating away at him, and he's acted completely and utterly unprofessional. I know he's 19, and lord knows if you told me at 19 some of the things that fan was probably saying to JO, I'd throw a punch. But, Okafor's a pro now. He can't do it. A few games suspension is what he'll get, rightfully.

Jahlil refused to work out for them too, but they took him anyway.

Yeah but JA was a lock for one of the top 2-3 picks just based on his career at Duke. Porzingis is the guy if he works out for you he could move up. As stated with the Lakers, his work out was so good they thought seriously about taking him at 2. It wouldn't have shocked me if had he worked out for them, they take him at 3 over Okafor and Okafor goes to NY.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:09 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:
welp Okafor knocked someone out in Bos last night. hopefully no legal trouble. Knocking out Celtics fan dude was destined to be a laker

+5000 points for KO of a Celtics fan.

I give it
kobetimeeverytime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:07 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Here's overall defensive FG percentage of man D (Anywhere on court - perimeter guys included in this as well)

Towns 37.2% (Awesome)
Winslow 39.4% (man D hype justified and proven)
Porzingis 42.4%
Okafor 43.7%
Mudiay 44%
WCS 45.9%
Russell 48.9%

For example comparison sake - someone like Greg Monroe a notoriously good O player but bad D guy is at 54% for the season. The stats are really surprising to me. Russell's man D looked good at first glance, but his man D has been pretty poor statistically.

the problem with Okafor to me is that he has an attitude problem and lackluster demeanor overall, guy always has a his shoulder slumped and now with the off court incident. Doesn't seem like a good lockeroom guy
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:19 am    Post subject:

kobetimeeverytime wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Here's overall defensive FG percentage of man D (Anywhere on court - perimeter guys included in this as well)

Towns 37.2% (Awesome)
Winslow 39.4% (man D hype justified and proven)
Porzingis 42.4%
Okafor 43.7%
Mudiay 44%
WCS 45.9%
Russell 48.9%

For example comparison sake - someone like Greg Monroe a notoriously good O player but bad D guy is at 54% for the season. The stats are really surprising to me. Russell's man D looked good at first glance, but his man D has been pretty poor statistically.

the problem with Okafor to me is that he has an attitude problem and lackluster demeanor overall, guy always has a his shoulder slumped and now with the off court incident. Doesn't seem like a good lockeroom guy

Respect your opinion. Clearly the numbers show that he has potential to defend. People compare him to Brook Lopez or Greg Monroe or Al Jefferson, yet his defensive stats in protecting the basket and his overall DFG% on his man are very, very respectable. If you talk to some, they'll state it as if JO was a matador. While I haven't been impressed by his D like say Towns, Winslow and Porzingis, I also never saw Okafor at this awful defender either. It looked to me that there was some potential there and I even have seen him shut down some quality players in 1 on 1 situations.

For example Al Jefferson's D stats in those same situations I posted - OPP FG% is 62 on defensive impact around basket, and overall his opp FG% is 51.9. In comparison Okafor's numbers in those areas on opp FG% are 43.7 and 43%.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:32 am    Post subject:

^ The Sixers bloggers and writers say that his problem is help defense. Specifically, staying attached to his man or going for the rebound when someone else's man is coming through the lane. Sounds like the same problems as Julius.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:39 am    Post subject:

There are also some serious issues with the data collection on the defensive end from the SportsVU cameras. Vantage Sports did an article on it recently. http://bit.ly/1Vqz8s4
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject:

cKPayasoLoco wrote:
welp Okafor knocked someone out in Bos last night. hopefully no legal trouble. Knocking out Celtics fan dude was destined to be a laker

Uhhh, no. Definitely not Laker material.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
^ The Sixers bloggers and writers say that his problem is help defense. Specifically, staying attached to his man or going for the rebound when someone else's man is coming through the lane. Sounds like the same problems as Julius.

Julius can get better (and did against GS) due to his good lateral quickness. That is something that Okafor lacks.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:42 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:

Julius can get better (and did against GS) due to his good lateral quickness. That is something that Okafor lacks.

I think that's a recognition and fundamentals issue. Hibbert isn't the best laterally. Great help defender. So much so, sometimes it leads to lower rebound rates.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject:

Regardless - Okafor is already defending way better than Monroe or some others he is compared to such as Jefferson. His man D has been quite good at times, and the knock on him is that he can't defend and I think while he won't ever be on D teams, he has potential to at least be solid. It's on him to learn how to play better team and help D, but unlike Monroe/Lopez/Jefferson, I don't think speed is nearly as big an issue with him as much as it's actually focusing and putting in the motor/effort. When I've seen Okafor play Towns, his motor is at 10/10 on both sides of the ball. Other games - not so much.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject:

Class of '15 by BPM, 11/27/15 (min. 140 minutes played)

1) Karl-Anthony Towns........+2.3
2) Rondae Hollis-Jefferson...+1.8
3) Willie Cauley-Stein.........+0.9
4) Kristaps Porzingis...........+0.4
5) Frank Kaminsky..............+0.0
6) Justise Winslow...............-1.0
7) TJ McConnell...................-1.2
8) D'Angelo Russell..............-1.4
9) Stanley Johnson..............-2.6
10) Jahlil Okafor..................-3.8
11) Jerian Grant..................-3.9
12) Larry Nance..................-4.0
13) Emmanuel Mudiay..........-4.7
14) Mario Hezonja...............-6.3
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:26 pm    Post subject:

Mudiay now ahead of only Sidney Lowe's 1989-90 season for worst FG% in the 3-point line era, with a minimum of 20mpg. #sportshate #iseeukikanga
dood23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:54 pm    Post subject:

I think he hit his rookie wall already. Seems like his performances are differentiated by whether or not he's shooting well.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:10 pm    Post subject:

Rookie game stats for tonight

Porzingis 11 points 5-11 FGA 8 boards, 3 blocks, 2 steals in 24 minutes
Okafor 11 points 4-12 FGA 6 boards in 27 minutes
Winslow 9 points 3-5 FGA 7 boards 1 steal in 35 minutes
Mudiay 9 points 3-14 FGA 3 assists in 29 minutes
Kaminsky 3 points 1-4 FGA in 19 minutes

* Towns playing still late 4th Q 7 points, 3-5 FGA 8 boards, 2 blocks in 21 minutes *
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:14 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
#sportshate

The best kind of hate.

!...
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Rookie game stats for tonight

Porzingis 11 points 5-11 FGA 8 boards, 3 blocks, 2 steals in 24 minutes
Okafor 11 points 4-12 FGA 6 boards in 27 minutes
Winslow 9 points 3-5 FGA 7 boards 1 steal in 35 minutes
Mudiay 9 points 3-14 FGA 3 assists in 29 minutes
Kaminsky 3 points 1-4 FGA in 19 minutes

* Towns playing still late 4th Q 7 points, 3-5 FGA 8 boards, 2 blocks in 21 minutes *

#rookiewall before the rookiewall
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject:

One thing about Porzingis and Towns, both of them seem to be able to make a significant impact and even finish with good all around stats in games that they don't play particularly well in. I find that impressive - and sort of like young KG. Now don't know if either will end up close to that good, but recall young KG doing similar. So did someone like Kirilenko.
Tark the Shark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
One thing about Porzingis and Towns, both of them seem to be able to make a significant impact and even finish with good all around stats in games that they don't play particularly well in. I find that impressive - and sort of like young KG. Now don't know if either will end up close to that good, but recall young KG doing similar. So did someone like Kirilenko.

I've been impressed by Porzingis' maturity. He has some swag but it doesn't come across as childish. There is definitely a mental edge that he has over most of the other rookies. He's out to prove that he's not the soft, white, Euro.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:30 pm    Post subject:

@CTowersCBS: Karl-Anthony Towns hasn't played more than 22 minutes in any of the last 3 games, which is pretty aggravating.

Deez old coaches gotta go. Heads up their arses
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:27 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
@CTowersCBS: Karl-Anthony Towns hasn't played more than 22 minutes in any of the last 3 games, which is pretty aggravating.

At least in Minnesota's case, they've won all 3 games. We've lost ours by 11, 14, & 34.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:31 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

At least in Minnesota's case, they've won all 3 games. We've lost ours by 11, 14, & 34.

They've really surprised me this year. Others thought they'd be this solid though
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject:

Tark the Shark wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

I've been impressed by Porzingis' maturity. He has some swag but it doesn't come across as childish. There is definitely a mental edge that he has over most of the other rookies. He's out to prove that he's not the soft, white, Euro.

I've found many in this draft to be impressive. Most of these guys are 1 year out of HS, or in the case of Zinger first time playing in a new country and culture. It's been nice to see not a single "bust" or headcase in the top picks, maybe outside of Orlando's pick (Although very very early to even say that). Everyone from Towns, Okafor, Zinger, Russell, WCS, Winslow, Mudiay have stepped in and right away been giving a team NBA level production either starter worthy or even better. That takes a lot of talent but also a lot of mental stability.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject:

TJ McConnell has played 475 minutes and has shot ZERO free throws.
Number 7
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:44 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
TJ McConnell has played 475 minutes and has shot ZERO free throws.

He needs to toughen up.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 89, 90, 91  Next
Page 36 of 91
Jump to: