Kristaps Porzingis
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:21 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
I am disappointed that we could have Russell and Porzingis in for private workouts and come to the conclusion that Russell is a better prospect.

It just seems strange to me.

Well people who made the decision were at the workouts and you and I weren't. Unlike us, they did not have the benefit of hindsight. Still, I love the Russell pick.
4stargeneralbulldog
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject:

I'm glad Porzingis is doing well, considering that he was called the next Darko and was heavily criticized before he played his 1st NBA game.
Tark the Shark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject:

He's got Kobe-like confidence.

Quote:
"I'm not scared -- I'm not scared of anybody," Porzingis said before leaving for the Knicks' four-game road trip that continues Monday night in Miami. "I'm skinny and I'm light. Strong guys can still push me around. But I will fight back, and be aggressive and never back down from anybody. If I want to succeed at this level, I can't be scared of anybody. I can't have fear. I've got to be fearless out there on the court."
BennyLava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:10 pm    Post subject:

PJ won the draft. A part of me wonders if PJ used zen tactics to make the lakers think that DLo was who they were after all along. Even paid a fine playing the game of thrones with us.
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject:

BennyLava wrote:
PJ won the draft. A part of me wonders if PJ used zen tactics to make the lakers think that DLo was who they were after all along. Even paid a fine playing the game of thrones with us.

I'm guessing he was 3rd on their list like he was on ours and they just went with him after the Sixers went Okafor.
ryan_c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:43 am    Post subject:

Tark the Shark wrote:

Quote:
"I'm not scared -- I'm not scared of anybody," Porzingis said before leaving for the Knicks' four-game road trip that continues Monday night in Miami. "I'm skinny and I'm light. Strong guys can still push me around. But I will fight back, and be aggressive and never back down from anybody. If I want to succeed at this level, I can't be scared of anybody. I can't have fear. I've got to be fearless out there on the court."

And like Kobe, he is student of the game.

Quote:
His back to the basket game already seems surprisingly refined though. Small sample size but we saw him doing a couple of dream shakes, a sky hook, some sweeping hook shots as well. He even tried two trademark Dirk one legged fades, although clanked them both. Love his confidence.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:05 am    Post subject:

ryan_c wrote:
Tark the Shark wrote:

Quote:

Quote:
His back to the basket game already seems surprisingly refined though. Small sample size but we saw him doing a couple of dream shakes, a sky hook, some sweeping hook shots as well. He even tried two trademark Dirk one legged fades, although clanked them both. Love his confidence.

A sky hooking 7'-3"player would be almost unstoppable.
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject:

Buck32 wrote:
ryan_c wrote:
Tark the Shark wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

That's basically what Kareem was. Some people thought he was 8 feet tall, I bet. Don't think there has ever been a taller superstar in sports.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject:

Buck32 wrote:
ryan_c wrote:
Tark the Shark wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Or in today's game a 7'3" player with 3 point range firing away behind the arc
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject:

Play Type............PPP......Frequency.....Percentile

Spot Up................0.77........21.8%...........31.2
Roll Man...............1.03........13.6%............46.6
Cut......................0.91........13.6%............13.2
Post Up................0.76.........13.2%...........26.9
Cutbacks..............1.07.........11.7%...........50.5
Off Screen............0.84..........7.4%............41.5
Transition.............0.76..........6.6%............13.4
Isolation...............0.79..........5.4%............49.5

This is what I suspected from watching him, which is that he doesn't do anything particularly well on the offensive end, although I thought he'd be better on putbacks, but he's still around league average there. His value has been mostly on the defensive end and on the boards. The Durant/Dirk comparisons on offense are crazy. He simply doesn't have the skill set.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Play Type............PPP......Frequency.....Percentile

Spot Up................0.77........21.8%...........31.2
Roll Man...............1.03........13.6%............46.6
Cut......................0.91........13.6%............13.2
Post Up................0.76.........13.2%...........26.9
Cutbacks..............1.07.........11.7%...........50.5
Off Screen............0.84..........7.4%............41.5
Transition.............0.76..........6.6%............13.4
Isolation...............0.79..........5.4%............49.5

This is what I suspected from watching him, which is that he doesn't do anything particularly well on the offensive end, although I thought he'd be better on putbacks, but he's still around league average there. His value has been mostly on the defensive end and on the boards. The Durant/Dirk comparisons on offense are crazy. He simply doesn't have the skill set.

His O is about potential. But remember, he's playing like a 2nd option. In FGA per minute, he's #2 on the Knicks behind Melo. That wasn't the role they pegged for him, but his aggression and variety of skills as well as the weak supporting cast (on O) around him and Melo is why he's a #2 right now for them.

But the potential is there - you look at some of the moves he's shown, you don't see that unless serious potential is there. No way is he Dirk/Durant today and those that say that are nuts. I think some of those who say stuff like that, are people who think he'll be a star a few years from today. I'm not referring to those who jock Zinger on this board, I'm referring to people like Jerry West, Pat Ewing, Kobe, Phil Jackson, Rambis, Anthony Davis etc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject:

For comparison's sake - Towns who many think is a lock to be a franchise player - his PPP numbers so far

Roll man 0.98 22.7%
Post Up 0.83 19.7%
Spot up 0.67 16.7%
Putbacks 1.35 11.2%
Off Screen 1.11 8.2%
Cut 1.31 6.9%
Iso 1.00 6%
Transition 1.31 6%

Porzingis has better PPP numbers in roll and spot ups - and if you look at the plays Towns uses the most - roll man, posting up, spot ups, Porzingis is same if not better in all 3. It's about the lesser used areas - such as cutting, transition, pustbacks where Towns has an edge.

I've watched Towns and Zinger quite a bit, Okafor as well. I don't think Towns creates shots better than Porzingis or is better as a scoring option right now. It's Okafor by significant margin on the 2 of them.

Last edited by wolfpaclaker on Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Number 7
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
For comparison's sake - Towns who many think is a lock to be a franchise player - his PPP numbers so far

Roll man 0.98 22.7%
Post Up 0.83 19.7%
Spot up 0.67 16.7%
Putbacks 1.35 11.2%
Off Screen 1.11 8.2%
Cut 1.31 6.9%
Iso 1.00 6%
Transition 1.31 6%

Porzingis has better PPP numbers in roll and spot ups - and if you look at the plays Towns uses the most - roll man, posting up, spot ups, Porzingis is same if not better in all 3. It's about the lesser used areas - such as cutting, transition, pustbacks where Towns has an edge.

I've watched Towns and Zinger quite a bit, Okafor as well. I don't think Towns creates more shots than Porzingis or is better as a scoring option right now. It's Okafor by significant margin on the 2 of them.

I haven't seen Towns at all. How has he played so far?
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject:

Towns started off strong, has slowed down a bit. What's good about him, he's very athletic, very good at getting to spots fast. I don't know if you can say his awareness of where the ball is and how to get into his game is as good as Okafor. Okafor has a natural gift to simply score the ball. He just knows how to keep getting it and doing what he wants to do. But what I like a lot about Towns, he's an all around impact guy. It's not just you need him to score to make an impact. He's good at many aspects - and already exceptional at some things. It's the biggest advantage he has over Okafor, he's not as good a shot creator/scorer, but far better at overall/all around impact. He's been very pleasant to watch.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Still, I love the Russell pick.

I didn't at the time and don't now other than the fact that I like they didn't cater to popular opinion.

But in this instance they probably should have.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:31 am    Post subject:

WELP. Just like that I believe that KP find his spot and go-to shots. Post ups at 15ft and in

At that range he elevates on his turnaround Js, great touch. He's slippery in the post there too, fake turnaround Js and drive. Also Js coming off curls at that range, great great touch and he elevates and it looks like it can be automatic.

I didn't/don't have faith he could be Aldridge at 19ft, but the jumpers and post moves right below the FT line look automatic. Sure he was being guarded by TJones in the vid, but that fact that he elevates on that 15footer more than other shots, it just looks like he can get it off and make it automatic.

He needs to build strength to be able to get consistent post position there
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:23 am    Post subject:

According to ESPN, Porzingis #1 in RPM among rookies.

http://espn.go.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/14246180/rpm-rookie-ranks-tab-porzingis-no-1
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:28 am    Post subject:

Yeah, barring injury, Krispy will be a really good player.

This year's draft seems to be better than last year's.

My 1st team rookie this year:

KAT
Krispy
DLO
Oak
Winslow

vs.

Wiggins
Mirotic
JC
Payton
Noel

I think the top 5 rookies from this year's draft all look to have great career outlooks./
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:14 am    Post subject:

I'd put Randle over Mirotic.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:18 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
I'd put Randle over Mirotic.

That's last year's 1st team all rookie (official).

I'd put Smart over Payton too.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject:

I'm jealous.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Ken Berger ‏@KBergCBS 17m17 minutes ago
Rick Carlisle: "Porzingis is a special, special player. The city of New York has Phil Jackson to thank for that one."
Tark the Shark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:44 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:
Ken Berger ‏@KBergCBS 17m17 minutes ago
Rick Carlisle: "Porzingis is a special, special player. The city of New York has Phil Jackson to thank for that one."

I'm starting to see special in Porzingis. He might be a franchise cornerstone. I see DLO being very good, but I'm not seeing special out of him.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:51 pm    Post subject:

I rather not bring DLO into this because his career path is his and we don't know where he'll be 2-3 years from now but this is what my friend told me. Paraphrased the Mavs commentators - that in Q1 they were laughing at the Dirk comparisons and as each quarter went by they got more impressed. By the late 4th Q when apparently Porzingis was carrying them late - they pretty much did a 180 and said he's without a doubt a superstar and the 2nd coming of Dirk.

Just found that funny. BTW, I don't think he'll be Dirk, find him more of an all around scorer and not as great at scoring from the middle of the court as Dirk - and I'll try to catch highlights of this game on youtube later - seemed like he and Dirk had an interesting battle 28 points to 25.

Dirk
Quote:

"The comparisons are more than fair," Nowitzki said. "He's way ahead of the curve. When I was 20 I was scared to death out there. He's almost averaging a double-double out there. He's better than I was in my 20s, so the comparison is probably unfair to him. He's a complete package."
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:06 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
I rather not bring DLO into this because his career path is his and we don't know where he'll be 2-3 years from now but this is what my friend told me. Paraphrased the Mavs commentators - that in Q1 they were laughing at the Dirk comparisons and as each quarter went by they got more impressed. By the late 4th Q when apparently Porzingis was carrying them late - they pretty much did a 180 and said he's without a doubt a superstar and the 2nd coming of Dirk.

Just found that funny. BTW, I don't think he'll be Dirk, find him more of an all around scorer and not as great at scoring from the middle of the court as Dirk - and I'll try to catch highlights of this game on youtube later - seemed like he and Dirk had an interesting battle 28 points to 25.

Dirk
Quote:

"The comparisons are more than fair," Nowitzki said. "He's way ahead of the curve. When I was 20 I was scared to death out there. He's almost averaging a double-double out there. He's better than I was in my 20s, so the comparison is probably unfair to him. He's a complete package."

I watched it, honestly, if Melo didn't get in the way Porzingis might have been able to win that game. While Porz was hitting 25 footers, blocking shots down the stretch, Melo was bricking, teching and committing offensive fouls. It wasn;t so much a battle though, Porzingis just went nuts down the stretch. Porzingis 3, Porzingis rebound, Porzingis 3, Porzingis block (to a team mate mind you), Melo grabs Mav as Porzingis attempts another 3.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 6 of 14
Jump to: