Matt Barnes Confronts Derek Fisher For Dating Ex-Wife
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject:

CBaller8 wrote:
Still no criminal charges, so why is he being suspended?

Because players can't go attacking coaches in the NBA even if they aren't on the same team and it had nothing to do with basketball is my guess.

I totally forgot that they play this Saturday for the first time this season.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject:

And his stupidity continues:

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-knicks/post/_/id/63883/matt-barnes-on-seeing-derek-fisher-i-dont-talk-to-snakes

Matt Barnes on seeing Derek Fisher: 'I don't talk to snakes'

Matt Barnes won’t have anything to say to Derek Fisher on Saturday when the former teammates and friends see each other again.

“I don’t talk to snakes,” Barnes told the New York Daily News on Thursday night.

The New York Knicks visit Memphis this weekend and all eyes will be on Barnes and Fisher. The two former Lakers teammates were involved in an off-the-court altercation at the home of Barnes' ex-wife in Los Angeles on Oct. 3.

Barnes was suspended for two games by the NBA and the NBA Players Association filed a grievance for the salary lost when he served the ban. Barnes referred to Fisher as “snitch.”

“I never wish for another man’s downfall,” Barnes told the News when asked if he wanted to see Fisher disciplined for the confrontation last year. “I always knew the NBA would come down hard on me, so I wasn’t surprised... Cause I’m the bad guy.”

As Barnes spoke, Memphis teammates Mario Chalmers and Courtney Lee shouted “because you won (the fight)” according to the News.

“Probably,” Barnes said. “Because I didn’t snitch.”

“I know I got to keep my mouth shut because then he’ll run and tell,” Barnes added. “So we’re focused on playing that team (the Knicks). And when I’m retired, him and I will cross paths again.”
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject:

I have a bad feeling that Matt Barnes will be incarcerated in the future because he couldn't get over his ex.....
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject:

VegasLakerFan wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
Some insight into Barnes' upbringing and attitude:

Yeah that's super heavy. Wouldn't associate that environment with a place like Sacramento. Queeners were always telling us how amazing their city was back in the day.

In any case, I wonder why Barnes would still embrace all that BS that he worked so hard to get away from. I mean, getting suspended from the NBA because he had to uphold some sort of stupid man code? Isn't he above that now?

Kinda pathetic.

I'm not sure if you guys follow MMA, but the Diaz brothers are from Stockton and act the same way. These guys can't seem to let it go...constantly harping about how much street cred they have. I mean, I'm sure they're legit but you're making millions. Let it go.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
I have a bad feeling that Matt Barnes will be incarcerated in the future because he couldn't get over his ex.....

Yeah I definitely see OJ: The NBA version with him.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject:

If it's a real fight and they're both prepared and not where one guy's coming at you and your probably not even ready or shocked at what's happening, personally I think Fish would have his way with Matt. In all the years I saw the two play, Fish looked legit tough. He literally took out a big like Scola with his strength and power. Matty, strikes me as a fugazi in terms of his tough guy act.

Either way, pretty immature of all involved to let it get to this level.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
If it's a real fight and they're both prepared and not where one guy's coming at you and your probably not even ready or shocked at what's happening, personally I think Fish would have his way with Matt. In all the years I saw the two play, Fish looked legit tough. He literally took out a big like Scola with his strength and power. Matty, strikes me as a fugazi in terms of his tough guy act.

Matt Barnes is not afraid to die though. I always give edge to the guy who isn't afraid to die in a fight.
Nnamdi21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:07 pm    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Matt Barnes is not afraid to die though. I always give edge to the guy who isn't afraid to die in a fight.

plus he's bumps 2pac plenty.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/01/16/matt-barnes-on-derek-fisher-incident-violence-is-never-the-answer-but-sometimes-it-is/

Quote:

Matt Barnes on Derek Fisher incident: “Violence is never the answer, but sometimes it is”

What, you thought the Matt Barnes-Derek Fisher saga was going away?

With the Knicks in Memphis to face the Grizzlies on Saturday, interest was higher than ever in the offseason fight between the Knicks coach and Grizzlies forward, which stemmed from Fisher’s relationship with Barnes’ estranged wife and eventually led to a two-game suspension for Barnes. Asked about it at shootaround, Barnes didn’t hold back.

Via the New York Daily News:

““No, every man who looks at the situation knows what’s right and wrong. Violence is never the answer, but sometimes it is,” he said. “And unfortunately, it happened. I don’t regret it. Like, man to man knows who’s wrong and who’s right. The NBA decided to step in and did what they did. But it is what it is.””

Barnes also cautioned Fisher not to try to talk to him during the game. Whatever happens between the two tonight will probably be more interesting than the matchup itself
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject:

For a guy as intelligent as Derek Fisher is, he sure has a certain negativity that surrounds him.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/01/16/matt-barnes-on-derek-fisher-incident-violence-is-never-the-answer-but-sometimes-it-is/

Quote:

Matt Barnes on Derek Fisher incident: “Violence is never the answer, but sometimes it is”

What, you thought the Matt Barnes-Derek Fisher saga was going away?

With the Knicks in Memphis to face the Grizzlies on Saturday, interest was higher than ever in the offseason fight between the Knicks coach and Grizzlies forward, which stemmed from Fisher’s relationship with Barnes’ estranged wife and eventually led to a two-game suspension for Barnes. Asked about it at shootaround, Barnes didn’t hold back.

Via the New York Daily News:

““No, every man who looks at the situation knows what’s right and wrong. Violence is never the answer, but sometimes it is,” he said. “And unfortunately, it happened. I don’t regret it. Like, man to man knows who’s wrong and who’s right. The NBA decided to step in and did what they did. But it is what it is.””

Barnes also cautioned Fisher not to try to talk to him during the game. Whatever happens between the two tonight will probably be more interesting than the matchup itself

If I were Fish I would be making so many inappropriate comments about Barnes' ex the whole game until he exploded.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba-fines-grizzlies-barnes-35k-inappropriate-comments-190733327--nba.html

Quote:

NBA fines Grizzlies' Barnes $35K for inappropriate comments

NEW YORK (AP) -- The NBA has fined Memphis Grizzlies forward Matt Barnes $35,000 for making ''inappropriate public comments'' condoning violence.

The fine was announced Sunday, a day after Memphis beat the Knicks 103-95 in the teams' first meeting since the league suspended Barnes for two games for fighting with New York coach Derek Fisher in October.

NBA vice president for basketball operations Kiki VanDeWeghe says in a statement: ''Matt Barnes' comments condoning violence do not reflect who we are as a league or the character of our players. His words are unacceptable and entirely inconsistent with the core principles of this game and the NBA.''

According to the Commercial Appeal, Barnes said at the Grizzlies' pregame shootaround: ''Violence is never the answer, but sometimes it is.''

Barnes and Fisher stayed away from each other Saturday night.
I Bleed P&G
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba-fines-grizzlies-barnes-35k-inappropriate-comments-190733327--nba.html

Quote:

NBA fines Grizzlies' Barnes $35K for inappropriate comments

NEW YORK (AP) -- The NBA has fined Memphis Grizzlies forward Matt Barnes $35,000 for making ''inappropriate public comments'' condoning violence.

The fine was announced Sunday, a day after Memphis beat the Knicks 103-95 in the teams' first meeting since the league suspended Barnes for two games for fighting with New York coach Derek Fisher in October.

NBA vice president for basketball operations Kiki VanDeWeghe says in a statement: ''Matt Barnes' comments condoning violence do not reflect who we are as a league or the character of our players. His words are unacceptable and entirely inconsistent with the core principles of this game and the NBA.''

According to the Commercial Appeal, Barnes said at the Grizzlies' pregame shootaround: ''Violence is never the answer, but sometimes it is.''

Barnes and Fisher stayed away from each other Saturday night.

Barnes need to let it go. He's making this to a be much bigger issue than it really was.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject:

Yeah I see him pulling an OJ on his ex wife one of these days unfortunately...
methdxman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject:

Derek is a sneaky (bleep) sorry to say. Always has been.

You don't date the estranged ex-wife of a former teammate... come on.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:12 pm    Post subject:

I would say Fish has been painted as a better person than he actually is. Along the lines of Chris Paul, though on a smaller scale. Good politician, knows what to say. But Barnes is out of control, inherently violent. The way JR Smith is.
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:28 pm    Post subject:

methdxman wrote:

I will never understand this idea.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:33 pm    Post subject:

nevitt_smrek wrote:
I would say Fish has been painted as a better person than he actually is. Along the lines of Chris Paul, though on a smaller scale. Good politician, knows what to say. But Barnes is out of control, inherently violent. The way JR Smith is.

Thats probably how its behind the scenes. Derek Fisher is great at the public image thing, I'm guessing his private persona, he is a different person. Matt Barnes probably sees this, but because he goes all fake hood on him, it doesn't go over well and makes him look like a total idiot.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/02/15/report-knicks-were-so-concerned-with-derek-fisher-infidelity-rumors-tim-hardaway-jr-asked-his-girlfriend-about-her-and-fisher/

Guess Barnes was right?
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject:

Fisher's reputation is going to trash.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject:

OregonLakerGuy wrote:
methdxman wrote:

I will never understand this idea.

Is it something you would do? I'm thinking of the people I know who have kids and the thought of one day being with their wives is just disturbing to me. Too many women out there for that. Every time Fisher is at her house, he's going to see Matt Barnes kids. There will be awkward exchanges due to visitation, and this isn't something that just comes out of nowhere. If Fisher wasn't with Gloria when she was married to Matt, he was probably at least thinking about it. This isn't just some coincidence where they both dated the same person. He knows her through Matt. There are the pictures of all of them together with Fishers ex. Its just a slimy way to operate.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/03/10/derek-fisher-calls-matt-barnes-a-liar-about-their-relationship/

Quote:
Derek Fisher calls Matt Barnes a liar about their relationship

Here’s Matt Barnes in 2012 describing his close relationship with Derek Fisher, whom the Lakers had just traded:

Barnes:

Golf in the summer, went to dinner with each other on the road — so Fish and I were really close.

Here’s Fisher now, via Sports Illustrated, calling Barnes a liar:

As far as Matt goes, to say that we had history before the incident would be an exaggeration. We played together for the Los Angeles Lakers during the 2010–11 season, and a couple months in the lockout-shortened 2011–12 season. That’s it. That’s the history.

During that time, we were teammates, and never had any issues. We never had any real relationship off the court, either. Our kids didn’t hang out, our families didn’t interact. There were no birthday parties. There were no post-game dinners. We weren’t friends and we had no mutual friends.

Barnes — who allegedly attacked Fisher for dating Barnes’ estranged wife — has maintained that he and Fisher were friends while teammates. That doesn’t excuse Barnes’ domestic violence, but it does raise questions about whether Fisher crossed ethical lines.

Fisher is now defending himself, saying the Knicks firing him wasn’t a result of his personal issues.

But minimizing his previous bond with Barnes doesn’t pass the smell test. Why would Barnes have lied about that years ago? If Fisher and Barnes weren’t friends and had no mutual friends, how did they end up at a concert together? What does it say about Fisher’s leadership that he could be on a team for two years without a single teammate being friends with Fisher and the other player?

Fisher also doesn’t directly address Knicks players’ reported concern about him sleeping with their significant others.

His defense boils down to a personal guarantee of his character and his version of New York firing him:

When the organization informed me of its decision, the conversation was short. The underlying message was that things weren’t working out the way they had hoped. I thanked management for the opportunity, and that was it.

At no time did anyone at that meeting express to me that stories about my personal life were distracting from the collective task at hand, or — more important — that any of my players had expressed to management that they had lost confidence in me as their coach. Nothing remotely like that was ever brought up or discussed.

As if the Knicks were required to explain the entirety of their thinking to Fisher. Even if we take his account as gospel, he’s not positioned to know precisely why the team fired him.

Wholly, this is an unconvincing case on Fisher’s behalf. It’d help if he had someone other than himself stumping for him.
Kirby Brian
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:17 am    Post subject:

I believe Barnes more than I would Fisher. Fisher seems like a sneaky politician. All proper and "right" in person and in front of the camera, but behind the scenes, he's probably all corrupt.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject:

No mutual friends? Aren't Kobe and Matt cool?
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject:

KobeMania wrote:
I believe Barnes more than I would Fisher. Fisher seems like a sneaky politician. All proper and "right" in person and in front of the camera, but behind the scenes, he's probably all corrupt.

Behind the scenes Barnes was assaulting his wife. After she got free from him Matt tried to assaulting her new boyfriend as well. Yea I would probably trust Derek more out of the two.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 12 of 13
Jump to: