Official Microsoft vs Apple Thread!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject:

Lakersfield wrote:
The price is about the same XP but more versions. The business edition is the same price as Windows 2000. Most people that would buy it would be the upgrade edition. The best deal is just buy a new computer with it already installed.

I agree - Does anyone buy the OS separate? I find that by the time a new OS comes around I prefer to spend a bit more to get a new machine since hardware becomes outdated so fast. Moore's law can be a (bleep) on the pocketbook.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject:

I live in Washington State, where we grow a lot of apples, and also the home of Microsoft. I'd rather eat an apple, thats for sure!

Seriously, XTN was right on. It all depends on your uses, budget, and lifestyle. One thing I won't touch is Windows Mobile. I constantly see friends invest in things like the new Treo 700 or Q. They like to point out all the wonderful features. While their busy trying to figure out why their device crashed, won't sync, isn't getting e-mail, etc., my blackberry is humming right along.

Sorry to hi-jack the thread, just had to get that off my chest!
jaidai
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject:

I started on PCs, but when I first experienced a mac - I immediately changed. I like the fact that I don't have to worry about viruses every 30 seconds. And before someone tries to give me the argument that the only reason PCs have so many virus is becuase more people use the platform... If things were the other way around PCs would still have more virus - because OS X for Apple is built upon a stable and reliabe structure (unix).

I am a web developer and I only use my pc to test web sites, because more people use pcs.

There are so many reasons to love a mac vs a pc it's ridiculous. I personally believe within 5 years there will be an equal amount of macs in use, due to the fact that you can run windows or any other platform (linux for example) on a mac.

Besides Vista or Longhorn or whatever MS's new operation system is being called, is so far behind OS X its not even funny.

I pretty much dislike microsoft products mostly because they release a crappy product and then push out all of these updates to fix holes in their product. If they had just took the time to test their product and make sure was stable to begin with, us mac lovers wouldn't have anything to say.

Just look at the XBox 360 - overpriced paperweight that can't really do anything unless you purchase more overpriced upgrades for it.

At least if you buy a mac product, it comes with most everything you will need (and then some...)

[stepping down from soap box]

http://www.hierosites.com
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject:

jaidai wrote:
Just look at the XBox 360 - overpriced paperweight that can't really do anything unless you purchase more overpriced upgrades for it.

You don't buy overpriced upgrades for the 360. You buy the system and games and a extra control if you want just like any system. Why do you have to make stuff up? So you can sound smarter for liking something different? If you like something different that doesn't mean you are right or wrong just enjoy whatever you enjoy.
he_is_the_one
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:22 am    Post subject:

eureca wrote:
jaidai wrote:

You don't buy overpriced upgrades for the 360. You buy the system and games and a extra control if you want just like any system. Why do you have to make stuff up? So you can sound smarter for liking something different? If you like something different that doesn't mean you are right or wrong just enjoy whatever you enjoy.

True. I'm a Mac user yet I still think Microsoft is a good OS for diffrent things. And as for the 360, I think it's awesome.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
I live in Washington State, where we grow a lot of apples, and also the home of Microsoft. I'd rather eat an apple, thats for sure!

Seriously, XTN was right on. It all depends on your uses, budget, and lifestyle. One thing I won't touch is Windows Mobile. I constantly see friends invest in things like the new Treo 700 or Q. They like to point out all the wonderful features. While their busy trying to figure out why their device crashed, won't sync, isn't getting e-mail, etc., my blackberry is humming right along.

I have used Palm, Symbian, and Windows Mobile, but never a blackberry. I LOVE Windows Mobile. As we see more and more convergence taking place, there's more need to have your OS be flexible. I've heard blackberry's are very stable and it seems like a quality product, but nothing beats the expandability of Windows Mobile. Since I got my new 8125, I've added a ton of programs, made a bunch of tweaks to the registry to customize it to my needs and there's a ton of 3rd party software I haven't even had a chance to look at yet. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Blackberry has no where near that kind of third party ecosystem or even the ability to be that flexible.

My larger point here is - like them or not, MS works in the largest ecosystem of software providers, hardware providers, and service providers in the industry. Therefore, you're always going to have a ton of options and this of course gives MS all kinds of benefits and all kinds of challenges in interoperating with those third parties. You may have to live with the trade-offs sometimes in stability or quality, but in the end IMO you've got a lot more customization capabilities. If that's what you're looking for, great, but if you're happy with something out of the box that happens to perfectly fit your needs like a Blackberry, then more power to you. It's about the trade-offs.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject:

looks like vista could cause big internet traffic jams

LINK

this OS sounds awesome already
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject:

^^^

Of course, the guy saying that isn't biased at all...

Besides which, it also sounds like this is a GOOD thing in the long run. IPv6 support will be necessary in the future and Microsoft sounds like it's going to trailblaze that path.

Saying Vista "could" cause internet traffic jams without talking about why it "may" do that isn't a very fair statement.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject:

actually apple sells you their crap in limited packages. You have to buy several things seperately for the ipod. When I purchaed mine, It came with both the fire wire and the usb cable plus the home adapter. My sister bnought one recently and it came with a USB cable...thats it.

If you buy from the MAc store its expensive as hell

FM tuner
Home charger
Car charger
Car dock
Arm band
SKins

Of course, if you pride yourself on buying MAC because they dont have third party vendors, then youll spent a crap load of money at the mac store. OR buy from Griffin, and any other damn vendor on the net, as long as your unit works the way you want it to.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject:

Laker_Town wrote:
actually apple sells you their crap in limited packages. You have to buy several things seperately for the ipod. When I purchaed mine, It came with both the fire wire and the usb cable plus the home adapter. My sister bnought one recently and it came with a USB cable...thats it.

FM tuner
Home charger
Car charger
Car dock
Arm band
SKins

Of course, if you pride yourself on buying MAC because they dont have third party vendors, then youll spent a crap load of money at the mac store. OR buy from Griffin, and any other damn vendor on the net, as long as your unit works the way you want it to.

ipod comes with everything you need to use the ipod as originally intended. you can charge it with the cord. if you want an arm band or a car charger why shouldn't you have to pay extra for it?

the all inclusive argument isn't for the ipod its for the computers...which come with a great deal of software that windows doesnt.
jaidai
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject:

eureca wrote:
jaidai wrote:

sorry to offend. But everyone that I have met who owns a 360 has told me that they had to get different patches and upgrades in order for it to work the way it was advertised. And yes, I do think it creates awesome graphics, but so what? I am actually waiting for the playstation.

Not even a MS evangelist can argue with me on the point that everytime MS puts out a product, it is faulty, no matter if it is a os or pocket pc or a game system. THEY DO NOT TEST THEIR PRODUCTS - PERIOD. which is why there are so many patches and upgrades available.

Quote:
ctually apple sells you their crap in limited packages. You have to buy several things seperately for the ipod. When I purchaed mine, It came with both the fire wire and the usb cable plus the home adapter. My sister bnought one recently and it came with a USB cable...thats it.

FM tuner
Home charger
Car charger
Car dock
Arm band
SKins

If you actually look at the manufacters of those products, they are not apple. These other companies have taken advantage of the fact that apple put out a QUALITY product and they have a large user base. The only thing negative you can truly say about anything Apple is that they are expensive.

I just recently upgraded my mac to a duo core. the computer I upgraded it from was a powermac that I bought in 1999. And i can guarantee that my 1999 powermac still runs better and as fast (or not that far behind) than a the "inexpensive" PCs you could purchase off the shelf today...

Just my 2 cents, let the rebuttals begin. [Man I am feelling like I feel when I have to defend Kobe]

Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Not even a MS evangelist can argue with me on the point that everytime MS puts out a product, it is faulty, no matter if it is a os or pocket pc or a game system. THEY DO NOT TEST THEIR PRODUCTS - PERIOD. which is why there are so many patches and upgrades available.

Let's not exaggerate here. I was a product manager at microsoft for 5 years and the amount of testing done is HUGE. I was heavily involved in testing of our new releases and I was on the marketing side. All microsoft software is heavily used internally across all of Microsoft while it's in early alpha and beta all the way through release candidate versions, so the investment they make in testing is tremendous.

That said, it's just a massive undertaking and there's always plenty wrong a lot of the stuff they produce and there's definitely tons of room for improvement in their testing processes and you could make arguments that they should just delay their releases until they get it right.

But with the sheer scope of what they're trying to do with each release and with the number of third parties involved (other software and hardware vendors), there's almost no way they can get it right on the first release. Thing is, the demand from businesses is so huge, they need to release to satisfy them and make patches later. I can't tell you the amount of conversations I had with customers where I specifically told them we were in beta and known bugs were not likely to be fixed until well after the product was officially released where CIO's were screaming at me that they needed whatever we had right then, damn the bugs.

I'm not trying to excuse microsoft, like I said, there's a ton of room for improvement. But I can understand the reasons why (Apple vs. Microsoft is apples/oranges), and just need to work around them (keep my machine up to date, wait until SP1 comes out before upgrading, etc.).
jaidai
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
Quote:

Let's not exaggerate here. I was a product manager at microsoft for 5 years and the amount of testing done is HUGE. I was heavily involved in testing of our new releases and I was on the marketing side. All microsoft software is heavily used internally across all of Microsoft while it's in early alpha and beta all the way through release candidate versions, so the investment they make in testing is tremendous.

That said, it's just a massive undertaking and there's always plenty wrong a lot of the stuff they produce and there's definitely tons of room for improvement in their testing processes and you could make arguments that they should just delay their releases until they get it right.

But with the sheer scope of what they're trying to do with each release and with the number of third parties involved (other software and hardware vendors), there's almost no way they can get it right on the first release. Thing is, the demand from businesses is so huge, they need to release to satisfy them and make patches later. I can't tell you the amount of conversations I had with customers where I specifically told them we were in beta and known bugs were not likely to be fixed until well after the product was officially released where CIO's were screaming at me that they needed whatever we had right then, damn the bugs.

I'm not trying to excuse microsoft, like I said, there's a ton of room for improvement. But I can understand the reasons why (Apple vs. Microsoft is apples/oranges), and just need to work around them (keep my machine up to date, wait until SP1 comes out before upgrading, etc.).

It was an exaggaration, true...
I will say from one end user's point of view, it definetely "seems" like MS doesn't test. Every MS product I have used seemed to have holes in it (internet explorer, windows 3.1 through xp, office - especially word and excel.) Compared to the apple products I have used, which just seem to work.

But they are apples / oranges in the end. If I didn't have to test websites on a pc using internet explorer or firefox, I probably would never know what was going on in the ms world, because I wouldn't have a need to.

As far as clients screaming for the product, i understand that fully. But they are freaking MICROSOFT! If the clients wants a product, they do not have to release it until it works. They don't have to bend to every CIO's needs (outside company's are going to use MS products whether they release them early or not - they have no choice!) I mean MS created the monster, so they just have to tell the monster I will give it to you when I feel it is ready. period.

If they had better testing practices - no one, not even us mac evangelists could complain

eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject:

jaidai wrote:
eureca wrote:
jaidai wrote:

sorry to offend. But everyone that I have met who owns a 360 has told me that they had to get different patches and upgrades in order for it to work the way it was advertised. And yes, I do think it creates awesome graphics, but so what? I am actually waiting for the playstation.

WTF? DO you mean the xbox live patches that take seconds to download? Way to make something out of nothing. A lot of the xbox live patches upgrade stuff other then fix stuff. However its funny that you mention Microsoft bugs and dare mention playstation in the same topic. PS2 was the buggiest system ever at launch. As a matter of fact word is that the PS3 is having so many defects right now that they might postpone it they already did in Europe. If they do launch in November in the US they wont have a lot of systems out at launch and I'm sure a lot of faulty systems.
jaidai
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject:

eureca wrote:
jaidai wrote:
eureca wrote:
jaidai wrote:

WTF? DO you mean the xbox live patches that take seconds to download? Way to make something out of nothing. A lot of the xbox live patches upgrade stuff other then fix stuff. However its funny that you mention Microsoft bugs and dare mention playstation in the same topic. PS2 was the buggiest system ever at launch. As a matter of fact word is that the PS3 is having so many defects right now that they might postpone it they already did in Europe. If they do launch in November in the US they wont have a lot of systems out at launch and I'm sure a lot of faulty systems.

When you look at MS as a whole and not at one particular product, it is a big deal and is not making something out of nothing. And you have made MY point by stating
Quote:
PS3 is having so many defects right now that they might postpone it they already did in Europe."

The key is postpone the launch instead of releasing a faulty product. MS released XBox 360 early so they could beat the competition to the punch, yet you still need to download patches. Who cares how long it takes to download a patch, the fact of the matter is why would I pay such a high price for a product that is not complete?

eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject:

jaidai wrote:
eureca wrote:
jaidai wrote:
eureca wrote:
jaidai wrote:

When you look at MS as a whole and not at one particular product, it is a big deal and is not making something out of nothing. And you have made MY point by stating
Quote:
PS3 is having so many defects right now that they might postpone it they already did in Europe."

The key is postpone the launch instead of releasing a faulty product. MS released XBox 360 early so they could beat the competition to the punch, yet you still need to download patches. Who cares how long it takes to download a patch, the fact of the matter is why would I pay such a high price for a product that is not complete?

They didn't say they would postpone it I was just saying they should, but even then they would be even more behind, but then to 2 systems instead of one. And again a couple of second downloads is making something out of nothing. However again its funny that you are bashing Microsoft for having bugs and you mention PlayStation in the same topic.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject:

why does the inclusion of playstation into the argument (which is off topic and irrelevant since its mac vs. windows) make the case for windows any better? so another company screws up too so that makes it ok for windows?
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
why does the inclusion of playstation into the argument (which is off topic and irrelevant since its mac vs. windows) make the case for windows any better? so another company screws up too so that makes it ok for windows?

I guess you haven't really been following. He is bashing the 360 for having bugs then throws in PlayStation as if its a perfect product which doesn't have a lot of bugs at least in its history.
jaidai
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject:

eureca wrote:
ocho wrote:

I guess you haven't really been following. He is bashing the 360 for having bugs then throws in PlayStation as if its a perfect product which doesn't have a lot of bugs at least in its history.

ocho was following fine.

I am not bashing the 360, I simply used it as an example of how MS releases crap. I am bashing Microsoft.

Sorry I said that I rather have a playstation than xbox. The fact still remains that ms releases junk that needs updates. If you can't get past my original playstation statement, I don't know what to tell you. I only used it as an example of why I dislike anything MS. period.

TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:51 am    Post subject:

Warns Europeans New System Could Be Delayed

Quote:
Microsoft raised the stakes in its European antitrust battle Thursday by warning that the introduction of the Windows Vista operating system might be delayed there because of unclear antitrust guidance from the European Commission.

Quote:
But in a strongly worded response, the commission, the year-round administrative arm of the European Union, denied responsibility for any possible delay in the introduction of Vista, and accused Microsoft of twisting the truth. “It is misleading to imply that the commission could be the cause of delays,” said Jonathan Todd, spokesman for the commission’s antitrust division.

“It is not up to us to tell Microsoft what it has to do to Vista,” he added. “The onus is on Microsoft to design its product in conformity with European competition laws, which it is well aware of.”

Last month, Microsoft notified the Securities and Exchange Commission that antitrust problems in Europe might delay the introduction of Vista in Europe. It warned of “uncertainty about legal principles that govern product design issues for future releases of Microsoft products in Europe.”
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
he_is_the_one
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
Warns Europeans New System Could Be Delayed

Quote:
Microsoft raised the stakes in its European antitrust battle Thursday by warning that the introduction of the Windows Vista operating system might be delayed there because of unclear antitrust guidance from the European Commission.

Quote:
But in a strongly worded response, the commission, the year-round administrative arm of the European Union, denied responsibility for any possible delay in the introduction of Vista, and accused Microsoft of twisting the truth. “It is misleading to imply that the commission could be the cause of delays,” said Jonathan Todd, spokesman for the commission’s antitrust division.

“It is not up to us to tell Microsoft what it has to do to Vista,” he added. “The onus is on Microsoft to design its product in conformity with European competition laws, which it is well aware of.”

Last month, Microsoft notified the Securities and Exchange Commission that antitrust problems in Europe might delay the introduction of Vista in Europe. It warned of “uncertainty about legal principles that govern product design issues for future releases of Microsoft products in Europe.”

Damn, you mean delayed AGAIN?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
24 wrote:

I have used Palm, Symbian, and Windows Mobile, but never a blackberry. I LOVE Windows Mobile. As we see more and more convergence taking place, there's more need to have your OS be flexible. I've heard blackberry's are very stable and it seems like a quality product, but nothing beats the expandability of Windows Mobile. Since I got my new 8125, I've added a ton of programs, made a bunch of tweaks to the registry to customize it to my needs and there's a ton of 3rd party software I haven't even had a chance to look at yet. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Blackberry has no where near that kind of third party ecosystem or even the ability to be that flexible.

My larger point here is - like them or not, MS works in the largest ecosystem of software providers, hardware providers, and service providers in the industry. Therefore, you're always going to have a ton of options and this of course gives MS all kinds of benefits and all kinds of challenges in interoperating with those third parties. You may have to live with the trade-offs sometimes in stability or quality, but in the end IMO you've got a lot more customization capabilities. If that's what you're looking for, great, but if you're happy with something out of the box that happens to perfectly fit your needs like a Blackberry, then more power to you. It's about the trade-offs.

Fair enough, Socks. There are more bells, whistles and software for Windows mobile devices than for RIM. A lot of that stems from the rigid security and reliability standards for the BB. We do have a nice amount of software available, and as a guy who travels a lot, I like the fact that there's never, and I mean never, an issue with my stuff working.

I'm glad you're happy with what you have and am not trying to put it down or denigrate it, as I am more of a desciple than a missionary
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Fair enough, Socks. There are more bells, whistles and software for Windows mobile devices than for RIM. A lot of that stems from the rigid security and reliability standards for the BB. We do have a nice amount of software available, and as a guy who travels a lot, I like the fact that there's never, and I mean never, an issue with my stuff working.

I'm glad you're happy with what you have and am not trying to put it down or denigrate it, as I am more of a desciple than a missionary

That's what I mean 24, to each his own . You're exactly right that one of the reasons RIM is so stable is that they are so rigid in what they allow with third parties. Trade off is less flexibility. Depends what suits you best and it's going to be different for everyone. Glad you're enjoying the blackberry!
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject:

I'm a Mac guy...for reasons stated above..mainly because its more stable. PC's are okay..but annoying for their instability. But it does go back to what some of yall have been saying..I use my comp for music recording...some visual stuff...and mac just seems to agree with me more..

a lot of people just surf the web and use word...PC's fine for that...

OSX is pretty amazing...

Diet coke is good too..
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject:

I was the owner of two Apple II'S and an Apple IIc along with a Commodore 64. Back then the PC just couldn't compete.

Mac's seem nice and it the music industry standard so I should probably be using one, but the prices are freaking ridiculous.

I put together my own computers so getting a new motherboard, sound card, video card and accessories is a joy as my computer is always up to date.

Windows does have to many flaws, but when you rule the world you are putting out fires while trying to create better systems to keep things going smooth.

I'd like both.

I 'm not a fan of the Blackberry and neither are the tons of sales reps in my company that have had them a while. I use the Cingular 8125 and it is awesome. All my musician friends have the Verizon or Sprint versions and the Blackberry gets no love.

BTW ~ I'm typing on the 8125 right now while going online with my home Wifi connection. Just sick baby.

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/addicusbrown
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: