Remembering 911

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Remembering 911

I'm not usually very serious, but on the eve of the 5-year anniversary of 9-11, I'd just like to take a moment to remember the victims and their families, and to honor all of our troops, living and dead. It doesn't matter what you think of the Iraq war or the administration, this thread is just about appreciating lives risked, lost, and forever changed.

If anyone knows or knew any of the above people, give us a shout out and tell us about them.

Peace to all
Tony Montana
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject:

Two of my employees were supposed to have breakfast with someone they were visiting in New York on their vacation there; they spent too much time arguing over which rental car to get that they didn't make it there in time...breakfast in the World Trade Center tower. For a while that morning, we didn't know their fate, as they were supposed to be there. A bunch of their friends gathered at the office hoping they would call, which eventually they did that afternoon. What was really weird was when they finally got back, seeing the pictures they took. It somehow made it more real to see the pictures just after being developed at Costco (which apparently caused quite a stir when they picked them up, with everyone there asking them about it, etc).

I also had a guy who I had just hired cancel a trip back east because of the new job conflicting with the trip; his return flight (that he canceled) would have been one of the United flights that was hijacked...

My friend works in the Pentagon; his office is in the section that was hit by the plane; he happened to have a meeting elsewhere in the building that morning.

My next door neighbor had two nephews working in the towers. One got out safely; the other injured, but more or less okay.

3000 miles away, and not many degrees of seperation from the event. I'm sure a lot of people have similar stories.

The one about Seth McFarland (Family Guy) missing boarding one of the planes because his travel agent put the wrong time on his itinerary is an erie one...

Let's hope history doesn't repeat itself; unfortunately, I am not optomistic that this will not be the case...
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject:

My dad was making plans for us to go to NYC in Dec 2001 but after that he said we better not go... turns out we never went to NY and now plan to go to the Indy 500 next may instead.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject:

Tony Montana wrote:
Two of my employees were supposed to have breakfast with someone they were visiting in New York on their vacation there; they spent too much time arguing over which rental car to get that they didn't make it there in time...breakfast in the World Trade Center tower. For a while that morning, we didn't know their fate, as they were supposed to be there. A bunch of their friends gathered at the office hoping they would call, which eventually they did that afternoon. What was really weird was when they finally got back, seeing the pictures they took. It somehow made it more real to see the pictures just after being developed at Costco (which apparently caused quite a stir when they picked them up, with everyone there asking them about it, etc).

I also had a guy who I had just hired cancel a trip back east because of the new job conflicting with the trip; his return flight (that he canceled) would have been one of the United flights that was hijacked...

My friend works in the Pentagon; his office is in the section that was hit by the plane; he happened to have a meeting elsewhere in the building that morning.

My next door neighbor had two nephews working in the towers. One got out safely; the other injured, but more or less okay.

3000 miles away, and not many degrees of seperation from the event. I'm sure a lot of people have similar stories.

The one about Seth McFarland (Family Guy) missing boarding one of the planes because his travel agent put the wrong time on his itinerary is an erie one...

Let's hope history doesn't repeat itself; unfortunately, I am not optomistic that this will not be the case...

Glad those you knew were spared, thanks for sharing
hig
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject:

A friend of mine flies for AA. I spent all that day trying to get in touch with here and couldn't. The next day I got an email from here telling all of her friends that she was ok, she was off work on the 11th, but that one of her good friends was on AA flight 11 that hit the first tower.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject:

Someone I knew from a former job (I didn't know her super well but I knew her) was on the plane that hit the Pentagon.

She had been in D.C. meeting with the FDA. Really nice lady, bright, hard-working, young family at home. She didn't deserve that fate, none of them did...
Charles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject:

starting at 8:30am, CNN is going to be replaying their coverage of 9/11 just as it unfolded live. They're even streaming it on the web.
LaLakers999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject:

god bless the victims and their families........ thats all i can say
NoMoreGame7s
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject:

On this anniversary of such a sudden and unexpected loss of life, may we all remember how much our family means to us, and take a moment to show them how we feel.

And may those who lost loved ones be comforted and find a measure of peace as they are reminded of their passing.

Thanks for the avatar, Hybrid27.
he_is_the_one
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject:

Lakers999 wrote:

TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject:

Lakers999 wrote:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
dwonderful
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject:

he_is_the_one wrote:
Lakers999 wrote:

RIP
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject:

For all the 9-11, Katrina, and war victims, along with their families:

Fall Together

Where were you when the towers fell
Did it break your heart like mine?
Were you there with the cops and firemen
Sacrificed upon that shrine?

The simple human goodness
Displayed in those dark hours
United us in triumph
Over evil’s callous powers

Did you watch the levees break
In fabled New Orleans
And feel a sense of kinship
In the horror that you’d seen?

The bond of our connection
Unquestioned brotherhood
Did more to start the healing
Then FEMA ever could

Do you read the daily news
Of soldiers as they fall?
Do you feel just like the family
As they get that dreadful call?

The blood of young lives lost
Bleeds from our very souls
We carry on their spirit
As another death bell tolls

Let the word go out to nature,
Government, and cell
What you do to these our people
You do to us as well

Those towers were our symbol
Together proud and tall
As they went down together
So shall we rise or fall
he_is_the_one
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
For all the 9-11, Katrina, and war victims, along with their families:

Fall Together

Where were you when the towers fell
Did it break your heart like mine?
Were you there with the cops and firemen
Sacrificed upon that shrine?

The simple human goodness
Displayed in those dark hours
United us in triumph
Over evil’s callous powers

Did you watch the levees break
In fabled New Orleans
And feel a sense of kinship
In the horror that you’d seen?

The bond of our connection
Unquestioned brotherhood
Did more to start the healing
Then FEMA ever could

Do you read the daily news
Of soldiers as they fall?
Do you feel just like the family
As they get that dreadful call?

The blood of young lives lost
Bleeds from our very souls
We carry on their spirit
As another death bell tolls

Let the word go out to nature,
Government, and cell
What you do to these our people
You do to us as well

Those towers were our symbol
Together proud and tall
As they went down together
So shall we rise or fall

Beautiful
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject:

It will be to our generation what the Kennedy assasination was to my parents. Everyone will always remember exactly where they were and what they were doing that morning.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject:

Some Pics:
http://http://www.zombietime.com/wtc_9-13-2001/
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject:

If you all haven't seen United 93 you should all get it on dvd right away.

I still remember every detail of that day. Completely surreal.
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject:

Strange how you remember where u where and what u were doing during disasters.

I was up late trying to fix a leaking faucet behind the washer.

Woke up after a few hours sleep, around 6am I think, and I was wondering why there was a disaster movie on so early in the morning.

Took a few minutes for the cob webs to clear...
Canadian Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject:

I was at work here in Toronto, just starting after 8:30am that morning. A co-worker coming in said she heard on the radio that a plane hit one of the World Trade Center buildings. We all thought it was a Cessna or other small, private plane. As people (and word) came in we found out it was much worse.

We had a lady who was frantically trying to contact her son who worked at the World Trade Center. I believe it turned out he worked in one of the smaller buildings and was fine.

Just to add a Canadian spin, the buildings of downtown Toronto were evacuated and people were sent home. Passenger planes were diverted and grounded in Canada. I believe there were 24 Canadians who died that day. A great many more drove down to New York to voluteer and help any way they could in the days and weeks following the disaster.

I don't speak for all Canadians when I say this but I think a lot of us will agree:

We may not be American, but we are brothers just the same. We remember 911 and will also never forget. With all due sincerity and respect, God bless.
msb212
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject:

I was in NY the week before and was out all night on September 10th. I left for the airport directly from the nightclub where I was hanging, and boarded a plane at 8:30 AM at JFK to fly back to LA. About an hour into the flight, the captain came on the loudspeaker and announced that the FAA had ordered all planes in the air to land immediately. We had no idea what was going on - only that there had been a "terrorist incident." I asked a flight attendant what had happened and she whispered that a plane had hit the WTC. I thought she meant a little plane - a cessna. As we landed, the guy behind me handed me his blackberry and I READ that one of the towers had jus collapsed. Reading it without any images made it seem impossible. I wound in Kansas City for 4 days waiting for them to let us fly home.

A firend of mine from college worked on the floor below where the plane hit. He was a huge party guy in college - with an acknowledged drinking problem. About four years before 9/11 he went into AA and got sober. On September 10th, he fell off the wagon, and went out and got hammered. He slept through his alarm the next morning, and was late for work. It saved his life.

I used to work at the World Financial Center, next door to the North Tower. I walked between the towers every single morning for 2 years. Makes me sad that they are gone. My Grandfather worked in the south tower, and I used to visit him in his office when I was little. I have very fond memories of them.

Last edited by msb212 on Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
24KaratGold
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject:

Wow, these are amazing stories. I hope no one on LG lost anyone that day, and if they did God bless them and their families.

It's sad that from that day on, the word Muslim and Arab became synonyms for terrorist.
mbloves L.A.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject:

Terrible day to remember. God bless all the victims of the attacks and the repercussions thereof.

I remember that my dad called me from his late night shift at seven in the mourning telling me that the first tower was hit. I thought he was BSing and I wish he was. It was surreal. I saw the towers fall.
LakersSpirit
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject:

There were, definetly, some strange vibes going 'round, on that morning... I remember waking up, with a start... I had a strange feeling, like something had just happened... I did something, that I, very rarely, had ever done, in years... I turned on the news... I immediately saw a tall structure on fire... I was half-asleep, and I couldn't really follow, what the announcer was saying... It just sounded like the announcers were describing their shock, other people's shock, and no one seemed to know, exactly, what was going on... My very first impression, was that some farmer's silo had been hit by an airplane!!... I just couldn't fathom, that the World Trade Center had been attacked!!... I didn't believe anything, until I reported to work, and everyone was talking about it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: