Cavs fire David Blatt
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shnxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:37 am    Post subject:

(bleep) lebron.
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:03 am    Post subject:

A coach ousted midseason with the top record in a conference. That doesn't happen often. Bold and risky. Most likely a reaction to the recent losses to the Spurs and Warriors.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:43 am    Post subject:

This firing is outrageous. The Cavs did very well in the playoffs last year, especially with what they had. They were banged up and even just making the Finals wasn't a sure thing. Then they did so well with a limited roster that they had people wondering if they were going to win it all.

This year they are doing better, haven't been lucky with injuries (look at how long Irving was out), and are on pace for an even better season with 60 wins and the #1 seed, which are things they didn't accomplish last year. The Warriors are not 30-40 points better than the Cavs despite the outcome of the last game. They are probably going to have a tougher road to the Finals in the West and could be more banged up and tired than the Cavs when they get there.

I wish they would lose before the Finals so it all blows up in their faces. I've never seen a team fire a coach that was well on his way to taking his team to the Finals in his second year there. But I guess the counterargument is that many other NBA coaches could take this team to the Finals.

Last edited by Steve007 on Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:40 am; edited 3 times in total
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:17 am    Post subject:

Interesting comments coming from Haywood.

Quote:
“Slowly but surely, that respect started chipping away where he would kind of be scared to correct LeBron in film sessions. When he would call every foul for LeBron in practice. Those type of things add up. Guys are like, ‘C’mon man, are you scared of him?’ ”

Quote:

“I remember last year telling somebody on the team, ‘I love David Blatt. But if we’re in a close game, he can’t help us,’ ” Haywood said on Sirius XM. “That’s not a shot at Blatt. But … David Blatt can’t come to a huddle and draw up a play that would get us a good shot. David Blatt doesn’t understand sometimes substitution patterns."

Quote:

“I honestly think they’re a better team. I have no ill will toward David, I hope he gets another job. But as a guy who was there last year, I think Tyronn Lue will do a better job.”

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2016/01/22/haywood-blatt-couldnt-help-team-scared-of-lebron-lost-cavs-respect/
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:46 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:

“I remember last year telling somebody on the team, ‘I love David Blatt. But if we’re in a close game, he can’t help us,’ ” Haywood said on Sirius XM. “That’s not a shot at Blatt. But … David Blatt can’t come to a huddle and draw up a play that would get us a good shot. David Blatt doesn’t understand sometimes substitution patterns."

That describes a lot of coaches, who weren't fired while in first place.

But maybe it was just a personality thing. He didn't think he had enough legitimacy to go against Lebron.

Hope he gets another chance down the line.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:59 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Steve007 wrote:

That describes a lot of coaches, who weren't fired while in first place.

But maybe it was just a personality thing. He didn't think he had enough legitimacy to go against Lebron.

Hope he gets another chance down the line.

Actually many coaches have a trusted assistant draw up the plays. Delegation isn't a problem. As I mentioned in another Blatt thread, Blatt's shortcoming is more on his interpersonal skills with superstar players (and one in particular in Cleveland). This isn't like coaching in Israel, the players in the NBA dictate the fortunes of a franchise more than a head coach, which is why the latter serves at the whim of the former. On that note, Blatt would be great for the current developmental state of the Lakers, but the question down the line is whether he can handle a superstar or two.

At some point in the near future a team will hire Blatt, and then before a televised Cleveland game we'll witness "King James" giving him a big hug. It's good for the brand.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject:

This sounds like the Cleveland version of the San Francisco 49ers.
Assistant coach undermines the head coach and gets him fired. Gets himself on the good side of management and receives a nice fat multi-year contract for his efforts. The behind the scenes drama is more interesting than whats being shown on tv in the games.
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject:

Destined to lose.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Assistant coach undermines the head coach and gets him fired. Gets himself on the good side of management and receives a nice fat multi-year contract for his efforts. The behind the scenes drama is more interesting than whats being shown on tv in the games.

Somewhat similar, but Tomsula didn't really orchestrate Harbaugh's ouster. The owner and GM did that. There's no comparison personality wise between Harbaugh and Blatt. Blatt got pushed around, disrespected, and selectively ignored by LeBron. This firing was totally engineered by LeBron and his camp as a way to deflect blame and find a fall guy after they got rolled by GS and SA.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject:

The way that organization has bent over ass first for LeBron is quite ridiculous, yet very fascinating. This new age thing of superstars being de facto GMs is sickening.

Last edited by panamaniac on Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Seems Gilbert hasn't learned a damn thing. You don't let inmates run the asylum, Dan.

You do when the inmate had to be convinced to come back as a free agent, immediately doubled your franchise worth (took it over $1B) and has the option to leave whenever he wants. If you could hire someone that would double the value of your company and take your product from amongst the worst to the best, you wouldn't let him run the asylum?
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Seems Gilbert hasn't learned a damn thing. You don't let inmates run the asylum, Dan.

You do when the inmate had to be convinced to come back as a free agent, immediately doubled your franchise worth (took it over $1B) and has the option to leave whenever he wants. If you could hire someone that would double the value of your company and take your product from amongst the worst to the best, you wouldn't let him run the asylum?

Then don't beat around the bush. Fire your GM and make LeBron president of basketball operations.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:
The way that organization has bent over ass first for LeBron is quite ridiculous, yet very fascinating. This new age thing of superstars being de facto GMs is sickening.

Lebron didn't learn from the first time he left Cleveland. He had unlimited control back then and it got him nowhere.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject:

K28 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Somewhat similar, but Tomsula didn't really orchestrate Harbaugh's ouster. The owner and GM did that. There's no comparison personality wise between Harbaugh and Blatt. Blatt got pushed around, disrespected, and selectively ignored by LeBron. This firing was totally engineered by LeBron and his camp as a way to deflect blame and find a fall guy after they got rolled by GS and SA.

True, although both assistants climbing to their position of power was because of greater forces at work within the organization. I don't think Tyronn Lue would last long as head coach either.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:

It will be even more hilarious if they never win that championship they've been trying so hard to get, even with a player of Lebron's caliber.
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Then don't beat around the bush. Fire your GM and make LeBron president of basketball operations.

Wonder what the rules are. Even if allowed, not a good idea. Leaders of successful Himalayan expeditions aren't part of the climbing teams that attack the summits.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:

I don't know if it's all that new.

Lebron isn't the first superstar to get a coach replaced. Our own Magic did it 30 years ago.

And teams will kowtow to superstars to get them to sign as free agents or keep them from leaving through free agency. One reason behind our fire sale of Shaq was to appease Kobe.

The NBA is a players league. For coach to succeed he needs to know how to appease and work with his superstar.

One big difference is that it's not as big a deal anymore for a superstar to leave his team for elsewhere. Fans are catching onto the reality that superstars are mini corporation who play for themselves and just lease their services to a team.

So teams have very little leverage these days, and they have to work even harder to keep their stars happy.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Ad I've said in the past, I don't think Lebron has that option or threat of leaving after he wrote The Letter. He said it was bigger than basketball, than winning. It was about building his city up, about the people.

I wonder how bad if an environment Mark Jackson created in Golden State that not even the Cavs, with Lebrons request, would submit themselves to hiring him?
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

I'm sure Lebron would prefer to make his moves from behind the scenes and let someone else take the blame if things go wrong.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/01/23/israeli-nba-fans-turn-on-cavs-after-favorite-son-blatt-fired/
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject:

I'm in the minority on this issue here, apparently. I'm mostly indifferent re: the move by Cleveland to terminate Blatt, but I absolutely oppose consideration of him for the (non-vacant) Lakers head coaching role. For me, attempting to envision this guy leading us to our 17th championship is an impossibility.

Meanwhile, so much salt over LeBron's assumed role in this transition (no surprise there), and so many usual suspects clutching their pearls over poor, deprived David Blatt ...

I agree that a coaching change under these circumstances is very unorthodox, but I thoroughly disagree with those mounting the Blatt defense. The guy's previous accomplishments are impressive, but none of these achievements have much significance in the eyes of most NBA players in 2016. In fact, I'm starting to see an overstatement re: his background here and elsewhere that's bordering on the absurd. I've been compelled to go back and review his background 3x in just the past 36 hours after reading some of the impassioned defense work in this forum. I must have been missing something, I concluded.

Alas, some are behaving as if the guy had led the gold medal-winning MBB team at the last two or three Olympic summer games. In fact, the truth doesn't jive with the legends being weaved like wispy cotton candy here on LakersGround. I also sincerely doubt any of you acting so outraged by his termination, save the GT variety who have coaching backgrounds and follow the pulse of the sport internationally, had ever heard of the guy before he was announced as the new Cavaliers coach last Summer. That is, unless you have some connection to Israel (possible) or Russia (possible) or Princeton (unlikely), where his profile in the sport is more prominent. Everyone else is apparently pretending that Blatt has been highly-regarded as the reincarnation of Naismith forever. And for those few with the geographic or cultural or academic connection, where's your objectivity in the matter anyway? The personal indignation underlying some of the posts is disturbing ...

As far as I can tell, one cannot walk into an NBA locker room with his CV and expect to be treated like Phil, Pop, Lenny Wilkins or even George Karl and others further down the coaching food chain. He was a rookie head coach in the NBA who apparently thought he deserved to be treated with deference, as a legend on the sidelines. Be honest with yourselves: if you were LeBron James or Kyrie Irving or Kevin Love, and Blatt showed up with that expectation, how would you handle it?

Are we even debating any more whether he had lost the team? Did he ever even have the team's respect. When I've seen Cleveland games over the past 15 months or so, he seemed completely overwhelmed (or maybe simply out of his element, whatever that is). His performance in that memorable Bulls playoff game last Spring is an example of his lack of poise and presence in the limelight. The guy was saved from Chris Webber infamy by the officials (and Tyronn Lue), and then saved from a likely media onslaught questioning his playcalling by LeBron's heroics in the same game. And if his players wouldn't or couldn't (or simply chose not to) respect him, does it really matter why by that point? The alternative is to fire the team. How exactly might that work?

The move may work. It may backfire. Tyronn Lue may be this year's Steve Kerr, 2006's Pat Riley, or a complete washout as a head coach. None of us know the details, nor what kind of issues Blatt caused in Cleveland on his own. The main point is that he's done in Cleveland, but he'll probably coach again somewhere.

So it would be great if those defending this guy would ease up on the calls for his hiring here in LA. No offense to David Blatt, who may be a swell guy. But on this point I feel strongly: we deserve better ... much better.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject:

Here's to Lebron and the Cavs never winning a championship. Gilbert and James are douches that deserve what's coming to them. Consecutive finals failures.

USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject:

Everyone's blaming Lebron, but are we sure Tyronn Lue didn't Frank Underwood David Blatt? He looks like the innocent party in this, but maybe he's the true mastermind.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject:

Cleveland bout to lose to Chicago. Their offense looks terrible. (bleep) the Cavs. I hope they go down.

Last edited by Vancouver Fan on Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject:

Haven't watched much Bulls games, but their offense seems a lot more free flowing compared to last year.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: