Cavs fire David Blatt
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:20 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Haven't watched much Bulls games, but their offense seems a lot more free flowing compared to last year.

They show glimpses of having a good offense, but they're so inconsistent.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:42 am    Post subject:

Buck32 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Haven't watched much Bulls games, but their offense seems a lot more free flowing compared to last year.

And their defense seems to have regressed a bit, which was mainly what made them a contender in the East with Thibs.

They're on pace to win less than 50 games, which considering they have Rose this year, should be seen as a win for Thibs. He got a lot out of this team. I do think Hoiberg is a good coach for the modern NBA offense and schemes, but I think Thibs got a raw deal.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Buck32 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

And their defense seems to have regressed a bit, which was mainly what made them a contender in the East with Thibs.

They're on pace to win less than 50 games, which considering they have Rose this year, should be seen as a win for Thibs. He got a lot out of this team. I do think Hoiberg is a good coach for the modern NBA offense and schemes, but I think Thibs got a raw deal.

The problem is Rose. He's still out there shooting like it's 2011 while on top of that being into and out of the lineup. It's the worse in terms of continuity and affecting the other players.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:
The way that organization has bent over ass first for LeBron is quite ridiculous, yet very fascinating. This new age thing of superstars being de facto GMs is sickening.

Like when Magic did the same thing 35 years ago?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject:

Gatekeeper wrote:
Here's to Lebron and the Cavs never winning a championship. Gilbert and James are douches that deserve what's coming to them. Consecutive finals failures.

Lebron's a great player, I have no issues with him winning more titles. I hope Gilbert never does.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Buck32 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Its a results-oriented business. Thibs had them average, that doesn't last long in the league when the owners are shelling out the payrolls they have been. Moves like that are typically lateral, but it is easy to see why they are made.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
The Grind wrote:
The way that organization has bent over ass first for LeBron is quite ridiculous, yet very fascinating. This new age thing of superstars being de facto GMs is sickening.

Like when Magic did the same thing 35 years ago?

Or more recently, like the last 12 years here with the Lakers? The march into the wilderness of irrelevancy following the 2003/2004 season and the trading of O'Neal? The acquiescence to the ongoing statements re: absolute control over "eating first" and "when and to whom to hand the keys off", etc.? The public trade demands, the Pau acquisition in 2008, and the all-in maneuvers during the Summer of 2012 for another title run? The last three seasons, culminating in this KFT abomination? Yeah, I think casting aspersions at other organizations for catering to their superstars is something our fanbase has ABSOLUTELY no business doing with a straight face ...

Last edited by the association on Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:46 pm; edited 5 times in total
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject:

http://news.yahoo.com/israelis-slam-hero-blatts-firing-cleveland-cavaliers-coach-000958408--nba.html
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:
Here's to Lebron and the Cavs never winning a championship. Gilbert and James are douches that deserve what's coming to them. Consecutive finals failures.

Lebron's a great player, I have no issues with him winning more titles. I hope Gilbert never does.

This right here is the truth.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Buck32 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

The problem is Rose. He's still out there shooting like it's 2011 while on top of that being into and out of the lineup. It's the worse in terms of continuity and affecting the other players.

Only 27.

Output on the court clearly not the same, which injury hurt him more? My guess is the meniscus, players seem to recover fine from the ACL, at least in football.

Cavs can eat crap too, mainly because of Gilbert.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject:

lakers0505 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Buck32 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Only 27.

Output on the court clearly not the same, which injury hurt him more? My guess is the meniscus, players seem to recover fine from the ACL, at least in football.

Cavs can eat crap too, mainly because of Gilbert.

How is Pau doing defensively? He's averaging close to 17 and 11 but unclear how positive his impact actually is.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:28 am    Post subject:

Golden State blew out the Spurs. I guess it's time to fire Popovich.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject:

Didn't Duncan sit out this game?

Regardless I was shocked
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/05/31/report-david-blatt-near-deal-to-coach-darussafaka-in-turkish-league/

Quote:
Report: David Blatt near deal to coach Darussafaka in Turkish league

David Blatt said he was going to be a head coach somewhere next season.

That turned out not to be in the NBA, where he interviewed and was in the running for the head coaching jobs with the Nets, Knicks, and Rockets but didn’t land any of them. So rather than be a lead assistant, or just wait the market out, he is headed back to Europe, Turkey in particular, reports David Pick, a well-connected basketball reporter.

25 Apr
David Pick ‎@IAmDPick
Darussafaka wish list for head coach, source said: David Blatt.
Follow
David Pick ‎@IAmDPick
Source: Ex-Cavaliers coach David Blatt finalizing deal with Darussafaka for Europe return.
6:53 AM - 31 May 2016
183 183 Retweets 111 111 likes
Follow
David Pick ‎@IAmDPick
Darussafaka's deal with David Blatt, I'm told, is long-term for $1.7-2m per season.
7:59 AM - 31 May 2016
79 79 Retweets 61 61 likes
Darussafaka Dogus is based out of Istanbul and was in the EuroLeague for the first time last season and received a wild card to compete in the league next season (that’s the highest level of European basketball, featuring the best teams from leagues around the continent, similar to the Champions League in soccer). Darussafaka is trying to climb the ladder and compete with the traditional powers of Turkish basketball, Fenerbahçe and Turkey Anadolu Efes. The Darussafaka roster includes Sixers’ Summer League standout Scottie Wilbekin, Luke Harangody, Jamon Gordon, and Reggie Redding from the United States.

Hiring Blatt, who had tremendous success in Europe before coming to the NBA, would be a coup for the club. One they certainly are paying handsomely for.

Blatt won 67.5 percent of his games over a season-and-a-half with the Cavaliers and guided the team to the NBA Finals, but he never fully meshed with LeBron James and the Cavs veterans. Part of that was on Blatt — he demanded respect for his time spent and success in Europe, and that plus his need to be the smartest guy in the room rubbed players the wrong way. Blatt wasn’t humbly trying to earn respect, and the players went to current Cavaliers coach Tyronn Lue when frustrated with Blatt. Eventually, Cavaliers management turned to Lue to coach the team because of team chemistry concerns.

Blatt deserved another chance in the NBA, but that didn’t come this summer. We’ll see if his return to Europe impacts that in the future.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/09/15/report-cavaliers-to-give-david-blatt-a-championship-ring/

Quote:

Report: Cavaliers to give David Blatt a championship ring
After taking the Cleveland Cavaliers to the NBA Finals the season before, then leading them to a 30-11 record to start last season, the Cavaliers fired David Blatt. It is example 1,562,947 that in the NBA the players have more power than the coach, and if the players don’t buy in and want the guy in the suit gone, he’s gone.

However, the Cavaliers are going to give Blatt a lovely parting gift (in addition to the millions in salary he was still contractually owed) — a championship ring.

From Jason Lloyd of the Akron Beacon Journal.

“Blatt was fired at the midpoint of the Cavs’ championship season, but the team has ordered a ring for him, too, multiple sources confirmed to the Beacon Journal. He is now the head coach of Darüsşafaka Doğuş in Turkey.”

That’s the right move by Cavaliers. Whatever you think of Blatt the coach, who the Cavaliers are to this day is part him. He did help lay a foundation that Tyronn Lue worked to build upon.

Of course, Blatt isn’t coming to the ring ceremony and banner raising in Cleveland Oct. 25. And I doubt he puts the ring on very often, but he will have a story about the other rings he won coaching in Europe and how they mean just as much.
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:56 am    Post subject:

MIght this be the first decent move by the Cavs? Ever?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject:

Good move by the Cavs.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/10/04/david-blatt-accepts-cavaliers-ring-not-my-championship-but-they-convinced-me-it-was-earned-not-given/

Quote:
David Blatt accepts Cavaliers ring: ‘Not my championship’ but they convinced me it was earned, not given

The Cavaliers are buying championship rings for more than 1,000 employees, including former center Anderson Varejao and former coach David Blatt.

We don’t know whether Varejao, who was traded during the season and went to the Warriors, will accept his.

But Blatt, who was fired in January, will take his.

David Pick:

View image on Twitter
View image on Twitter
Follow
David Pick @IAmDPick
David Blatt confirms to me tonight that he accepted Cavaliers offer of championship ring.
5:10 PM - 4 Oct 2016
360 360 Retweets 521 521 likes
This is a pretty humble statement from Blatt, who touted his credentials at every turn while coaching Cleveland. Most infamously, when asked about coaching in front of President Barack Obama for a Cavs-Bulls game, Blatt said he’d already coached in front of other world leaders. Blatt just couldn’t stand anything that presented him as less than a fully accomplished coach.

But he took the high road here, and both sides are right.

This wasn’t Blatt’s championship. Tyronn Lue coached the team to the finish line.

Blatt still contributed, though. He guided the Cavs to a 30-11 start (the best record of a team ever making a mid-season coaching change). That helped Cleveland secure home-court advantage through the Eastern Conference playoffs and reach the conference finals.

The Cavaliers didn’t need to get Blatt a ring, but it was the right move. Respectfully offering it only adds to the gesture. Blatt should have no qualms about accepting it.
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:58 am    Post subject:

Why do I feel like they're rubbing his nose in it? Blatt will accept it cos you don't wanna burn bridges, but I doubt he wears it at all.

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc

Last edited by Andre2K on Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject:

Andre2K wrote:
Why do I feel like they're rubbing his nose in it? Blast will accept it cos you don't wanna burn bridges, but I doubt he wears it at all.

He might use it as motivation or pawn it off later on
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject:

Cavs are giving away championship rings like Oprah is giving away cars.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject:

I still can't get over the fact of how great lebronze played against the Warriors. He came back from 3-1 deficit and took out the warriors. True you didn't have draymond for one game and bogut for the series and Iggy was injured but you had curry and Klay and you are up 3-1. Warriors should have won but lebron played like a god and took me out. He def earns respect he's right up there with Kobe Duncan magic Kareem and Jordan
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/08/09/david-blatt-said-his-end-game-is-to-return-as-head-coach-in-nba/

Quote:

David Blatt said his end game is to return as head coach in NBA

David Blatt’s team was 30-11 and coming off a trip to the NBA Finals when he was fired mid-season in Cleveland. It was ultimately this simple: LeBron James and other key players did not like Blatt much, and if the Cavaliers were going to win a title, they needed everybody to be all-in. Blatt was shown the door, Tyronn Lue got the job, and the Cavaliers brought the first major sports title to Cleveland in five decades.

Blatt is back coaching in Israel, but told the Jerusalem Post his ultimate goal is to return to the NBA (hat tip Eye on Basketball).

“I have an end game and that end game is that I would really like to go back to the NBA,” Blatt told The Jerusalem Post on Tuesday.

“There were no changes in the NBA this year from a coaching standpoint and my real goal is to try next year to get back into the league as a head coach. It may happen and it may not happen. But I wanted to leave that door open for myself if the opportunity arises.”

Blatt’s name came up in the last coaching hires in New York and Sacramento, but after missing out he signed to coach Turkish team Darussafaka (where he remains, having turned down a lucrative three-year offer from Maccabi Tel Aviv so he could keep his NBA options open.

On paper, Blatt deserves another chance: The guy knows the game and his teams in Cleveland won 67.5 percent of their games.

The question is, did he learn how to better relate to NBA players — who have the power — than he did before. Blatt came in expecting deference and credit for all his titles and success in Europe, but NBA players shrugged at that. Blatt needed to be the smartest guy in the room, always, and with that made some odd lineup and play-calling choices. That said, a lot of what he wanted the Cavaliers to do — play faster, share the ball more freely with less isolation — were things Tyronn Lue wanted and got them to do. The question was never did Blatt know what the Cavs needed to do, it was could he get them to do it?

Anywhere he goes in the NBA, the dynamic will be similar (not quite LeBron like in power, but elite players are what franchises are built around) and Blatt has to adjust to it. If he can get buy in from players, he can win, but if he can’t he will be gone again quickly, back to Europe where coaches have the dictatorial power of an American college coach.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject:

Blatt would be a good pick for a young team. That was the idea in Cleveland. I doubt Blatt would have been hired if they knew Lebron was coming.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject:

He would be a perfect coach for a young team, or a perfect assistant on our Lakers team.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: