Nas Says 'Hip-Hop Is Dead' Could Be His Best Album

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Nas Says 'Hip-Hop Is Dead' Could Be His Best Album

Nas says his greatest work is ahead of him, but the veteran rapper said his fans will intimately determine if his latest album Hip-Hop Is Dead reigns over his classic albums like Illmatic (1994), It Was Written (1996), Stillmatic (2001), God's Son (2002) and others.

"It's probably the best record I ever did," Nas told AllHipHop.com. "I mean, when you work in the studio for a while, sometimes you think its great, but you don't know what it is until the people hear it. So I hope the people agree."

The Queensbridge, NY rapper signed a joint venture deal with Def Jam/Sony Music in January 2006, ending a long-running feud between he and Def Jam president Jay-Z.

The two rappers engaged in a lyrical feud which exploded with Jay-Z's 2001 diss track "The Takeover." Nas answered with the equally scathing reply, "Ether."

The two men settled their differences in Oct. of 2005, when Jay-Z brought Nas out for a performance during his "I Declare War" concert at Continental Airlines Arena in East Rutherford, NJ.

Under terms of the Def Jam/Sony Music union, Nas will produce four albums, with Hip-Hop is Dead being the first release on his own label, the Jones Experience.

The rapper hinted that fans may finally receive the long-awaited collaboration between the lyrical giants.

"I'm just with Def Jam," Nas said. "I haven't worked with anybody but myself. A little bit of work with Jay [Z], just for the fans out there and just for us."

Nas said Hip-Hop is Dead will be available to retail outlets on Nov. 7.

In related news, Jay-Z is expected to release an album of new material later in the year, but Def Jam representatives would not confirm or deny the information.

http://www.allhiphop.com/hiphopnews/?ID=6122
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:10 am    Post subject:

it's not going to be better than illmatic. it's just not.
mswift44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:33 am    Post subject:

there better be some tracks that DJ Premier produced in there. When they work together, they always come out with heat. i agree with u Ocho, this is not gonna touch Illmatic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Kobe>Lebron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:40 am    Post subject:

mswift44 wrote:
there better be some tracks that DJ Premier produced in there. When they work together, they always come out with heat. i agree with u Ocho, this is not gonna touch Illmatic.

I really dont like Nas or Jay. I respect their work I just dont really like them. Something about calling themselves "God" that rubbs me the wrong way.
Jay "Hova"
Nas "Gods Son" :roll:

They are just rappers.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:23 am    Post subject:

Hip Hop really is dead. I was a fan of Nas back in the day though. And I agree with ocho, it's not going to be up there with illmatic, which is an all-time classic.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:38 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
Hip Hop really is dead. I was a fan of Nas back in the day though. And I agree with ocho, it's not going to be up there with illmatic, which is an all-time classic.
Hip Hop's not dead,.. you just have to know where to find it...

Last edited by TACH on Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject:

Illmatic will be his best work now til forever...every time an MC puts an album out they always say "I think this is my best work so far in my career" I just hope it solid.
LaLakers999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject:

im a huge nas fan and illmatic was one of the best rap albums ive ever heard
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject:

Man, it's gotta be rough for Nas. You put out an album like illmatic so early in your career and every album after that you're trying to beat it. I just don't see it happening.
uberzev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject:

Nas is dead to me.
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject:

uberzev wrote:
Nas is dead to me.

What???????????

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/addicusbrown
B_Rabbit1212
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject:

You know, NaS has never been one to be modest....

With that said, I can't wait to hear this album.
I wasn't the biggest fan of Street's Disciple and God's Son was above average but nothing completely memorable.
Top NaS Albums in order: Illmatic (duh), It Was Written..., Stillmatic, God's Son.

I love how ballsy he's being with the title of the album. Because, if it flops, he could recieve so much flack it's not even funny. However if it is in fact an instant classic, it's also one of the best titled albums of all time.

I see serious potential in this album. Illmatic good, 90% no. But hell, we won't know until we here it and it wouldn't be fair to judge it before we hear it.
Billy_Blanko
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject:

I actually prefer It Was Written to Illmatic, but with that said, Nas is done. I can't see him coming with anything remotely great. More power to him if he does, but I can't see it. His material for the past how ever many years has been that mediocre.
Kobe>Lebron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject:

Doesnt games album drop the same day?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: