Hip-Hop news by Lakerfan 4 Life
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Ludacris Album Ready For Release

Release Therapy, the upcoming album from Ludacris, is scheduled to drop on Sept. 26 led by the Pharrell-produced current single "Money Maker."

Describing the album title, Luda said in a statement: "Music is therapeutic. When I say Release Therapy, I just mean in what I do and speaking out. It is my release therapy, music, period. Every album I get more and more personal, start talking about issues that people would be surprised about or maybe didn't think I would say. I'm about to release."

http://www.streethop.com/forum/article167940.html
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Kurtis Blow Taking Hip-Hop Church America On The Road

Rap pioneer Kurtis Blow is taking his Hip-Hop Church America on the road for a concert in Southern California.

The Harlem-based initiative will hold a concert from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. Oct. 21 at the Crystal Cathedral in Garden Grove, California.

Blow will headline the event, which takes place at the Cathedral's grass lawn and includes performances from 2Five, Eastwood, Takim and TraCee.

DJ Battlecat will be featured in the 2Five and Eastwood sets.

The event's host, Bobby Schuller, believes the concert will offer a chance to reach out to area youth who "have gotten on the wrong path in life, living in a nihilistic, post-modern survival mode as perpetuated by some of their Hip-Hop heroes."

"By bringing Hip-Hop Church America here, we're showing that Hip-Hop can be both cool and fun, but also have a positive message," Schuller said.

Schuller isn't the only one who believes in Hip-Hop Church America.

Michael Nason, president and co-founder of Newport Beach-based The Machine Productions, is developing Hip-Hop Church America into a national TV show.

The Machine Productions is a multimedia entertainment company that provides audio and visual entertainment to a diverse, international consumer group.

Nason, a Hip-Hop Church America executive producer, has produced, promoted and bought airtime for Schuller's "Hour of Power" show for close to 30 years.

The show is broadcast weekly to more than 15 million people worldwide.

With the growth of the Southern California Hip-Hop scene, Schuller feels hip-hop can help with his role in the church of "integrating emerging world views and cultures into our ministry."

http://allhiphop.com/hiphopnews/?ID=6089
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Peedi Peedi Preparing New Album Under Def Jam, Talks Roots Collaboration

Rapper Peedi Peedi, formerly known as Peedi Crakk, is preparing to release his new single "Take Me Home," featuring labelmate Megan Rochell.

The song is the first from his upcoming as-yet-untitled album, due in 2007.

"[It's] a hot little single for the clubs," Peedi Crakk told AllHipHop.com. "My album is finished. I just talked to [Jay-Z], and we're about to send the single out."

Peedi, 27, (born Pedro Zayas) will release his album under Def Jam after previously being signed as an artist on Roc-A-Fella.

The new disc will feature collaborations with Jay-Z, Bun B, Twista and Ne-Yo, among others.

"This isn't going to be [anything] that gets looked over," said the North Philadelphian. "This album is going to make a real impact."

In the meantime, Peedi is currently featured on the Roots' "Long Time," a track on their recently released album Game Theory.

The rapper will also support the group on an international tour starting in December.

Though Peedi said he was not aware of rumors that he could become the latest member of the Roots, he said he would welcome the opportunity.

"If they were willing to pull me in, I'd be more than happy to rock with the Roots," he said. "I'm always going to be a solo artist but who would turn that opportunity down? I wouldn't. It's unbelievable to even be on the Roots album."

Peedi, a former member of Beanie Sigel's rap collective State Property, signed with Def Jam after a rough split with Roc-A-Fella's former co-owner Damon Dash.

The Def Jam deal took place after a chance meeting between Peedi's Philadelphia-based attorney Bernie Resnick, ESQ, who negotiated the contract.

"Me and Jay see eye-to-eye so I trust his judgment on a lot of things," said Peedi. "With Dame Dash, there was a lot of friction going on. Every time we talked, there was an argument about s**t. But, when me and Jay talk, we come eye-to-eye on a lot of s**t, and that's a positive thing when you and the boss agree upon certain s**t in your career."

Peedi is also launching his own record label, Intense Prince, which will release the Philadelphia based-group Men of Respect and produces "more street, and more unsensored" Hip-Hop, he said.

"That's just all my radical music that I want to make," he added. "With Def Jam, you got to stick to the script because they need records that they can market and promote. As opposed to that mainstream music that they're looking for, I've got a whole different level of music that I'm making."

http://allhiphop.com/hiphopnews/?ID=6090
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Method Man Wants Independence

Veteran Wu Tang member Method Man has been at the forefront of the hip hop industry for ten years plus. In a statement far from the cry that ‘hip hop is dead’, Meth declared his desire for an independent future with his unfaltering support of the emerging indie route.

"The indie route is the best route right now, all you need is distribution. You don't necessarily need the record companies anymore. That's why I root for the underdog. I'd love to see more independents doing s***.”

He is certainly on the side of the underdogs: “[It’s] just the right mother******* just ain't being heard, and like I said, the media is playing a big part in that, cause they poppin’ all that s*** like we ain't significant anymore, but a lot of it has to do with the music," he explained.

"There's this new production going on now and it's like either you get with it or get lost. It's like NY always had its own sound and s***, you know n***** is stubborn, 'we ain't trying to do that, let them do that, that's they thing, we ain't trying to do what they do, that's they thing, let them do that, we gonna do us.' It all comes back around though, they gonna want the grimy s*** again."

Method Mans latest album 4:21 The Day After is out now.

http://www.streethop.com/forum/article167960.html

Last edited by Lakerfan 4 Life on Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: DJ Shadow Aligns With The Bay Area

The career of DJ Shadow has taken an unexpected turn with the release of his new album and his alignment with the Bay Area hyphy sound.

DJ Shadow is a revered producer who is credited with releasing the first ever CD comprised solely of samples. His albums Entroducing, Pre-emptive Strike and The Private Press have long been considered benchmarks of turntablism, instrumentalism and creative sampling with the roots of the sound, the process and his career clearly embedded in hip-hop.

His latest album, The Outsider, has caused a huge split in his fanbase – the division between ‘artist progression’ and ‘artist mistake’ are fiery and fierce. The sound of the new album is principally electronic and is dominated by guest appearances which include David Banner, Keak Da Sneak, E-40, Q-Tip and Lateef The Truth Speaker.

“I care what people think [about my music], but at the same time I can’t let it dictate the type of record that I make,” he said. “I decided to make an album that really reflected who I am now, as opposed to adding to some sort of longer legacy.”

The opening track is called ‘This Time (I’m Gonna Try It My Way)’. One of the closing tracks, ‘What Have I Done’ has left some wondering the same thing.

The Outsider is released September 18th.

http://www.streethop.com/forum/article167962.html
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Afrika Bambaataa Officially Dubs Indian Rapper, The1shanti, As India Bambaataa

The Godfather of Hip-Hop Culture and the Father of the Electro Funk Sound, Afrika Bambaataa, has officially dubbed Hip-Hop artist, the1shanti, India Bambaataa.

"You have our blessings (Afrika Bambaataa and The Universal Zulu Nation) as long as you use your name in the good of your people and the good of yourself," Bambaataa told the1shanti last week via written correspondence.

As a global rap star who was one of the first New York rappers of Indian descent to bring Hip-Hop to India, the1shanti cites Afrika Bambaataa's innovation and spirit as one of the main influences in his career

"Hip-Hop is the most influential force of our generation," says the young artist, "Bambaataa's blessing lets me know I'm playing an important role in pushing the boundaries of how far Hip-Hop can grow."

With Afrika Bambaataa's backing, Flatbush Junction Recordings has officially announced that it will move ahead with the November 12 launch of the1shanti's debut album, India Bambaataa.

India Bambaataa scored success with the group DDP and their release Spiritual Bling. India Bambaataa is set for release late fall on Flatbush Junction Recordings.

http://allhiphop.com/hiphopnews/?ID=6096
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Death Row Bankruptcy Continues, Judge Sets A Date For Claims

A Los Angeles bankruptcy judge has set a deadline for parties to file claims against Death Row Records and Marion "Suge" Knight as part of a Chapter 11 restructuring of the legendary West coast label.

Death Row Records and Knight filed for Chapter 11 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code in April of 2006, listing debts of $137.4 million and $4.4 million in assets.

Those filing claims must file with the bankruptcy court presiding over the case must file by Oct. 31 or risk being barred from asserting claims against Death Row Records or Suge Knight.

"We believe that it is vital that all parties asserting claims come forward and assert them in a timely manner so that Death Row can come out of Chapter 11 quickly," said Todd Neilson, the Death Row chapter 11 trustee.

In March of 2005, Knight was ordered to pay over $100 million to Lydia Harris, who claims her husband, incarcerated drug kingpin Michael "Harry-O" Harris, provided $1.5 million in start-up money for Death Row in return for a 50% stake in the label.

Knight missed several court dates in regards to the Harris' ownership claims, resulting in a default judgment.

He filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, which allows a company to continue business operations while restructuring. Death Row is currently being operated by Neilson during the bankruptcy proceedings, while Knight oversees his bankruptcy estate as a debtor in possession.

Among those listed as unsecured creditors to Death Row include the Harris', the Internal Revenue Service ($6,900,000), Koch Records ($3,400,000), Interscope Records ($2,500,000) and others.

http://allhiphop.com/hiphopnews/?ID=6097
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Hip-Hop Summit Heading To Atlanta

The Hip-Hop Summit Action Network (HSAN) has announced that it will convene a Hip-Hop Summit on Financial Empowerment at the Atlanta University Center later this month.

Dubbed the "Get Your Money Right" national tour, the summit will feature leading Hip-Hop artists and music executives including Russell Simmons, Jermaine Dupri, Ludacris, Paul Wall, Young Jeezy, Bobby Valentino, Remy Ma, Chingo Bling, Chaka Zulu (Co-CEO OF DTP), Super Producer Bryan-Michael Cox, Def Jam head of A&R Shakir Stewart, Roberta Shields, Dr. Benjamin Chavis and DJ Drama.

The purpose of the Financial Empowerment Hip-Hop Summit is to bring celebrities and financial experts together to speak to students and community members about the importance of financial literacy.

Topics to be covered include the basics of banking, home ownership, repairing bad credit and understanding credit scores, entrepreneurship, vehicle financing and more.

Established in 2001 by Russell Simmons, HSAN is a non-profit coalition of artists, entertainment industry executives, and community leaders who advocate positive social change through hip-hop.

HSAN was founded with a mission of raising the level of public education and literacy, voter education, economic advancement and youth leadership development.

The Atlanta Hip-Hop Summit on Financial Empowerment will be held at the Atlanta University Center on the Campus of Morris Brown College on September 16, 2006 from 1:30 - 3:30 p.m.

http://allhiphop.com/hiphopnews/?ID=6098
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: AllHipHop.com Interview With Raekwon

When Only Built 4 Cuban Linx came out in 1995, he launched a genre within rap, using coded language to describe cocaine sales. Armed with a concept, dope beats and a charismatic partner-in-crime, Ghostface Killah, Raekwon the Chef carved out a spot in Hip-Hop history for himself. Not only was the music hot, but so was the product itself: a purple cassette.

Since then, Rae has gone through ups and downs in his solo efforts, but fans know he’s never lost the rhyme. So when word came out last year that he was coming full circle with a return to the essence, the rap world has been waiting… and waiting.

It’s been months since the buzz peaked over the upcoming Only Built 4 Cuban Linx 2. Heads wanted to know if the Chef could do it again, and better yet, if he should do it.

Rae silenced all the whispers in past interviews with a firm “wait and see” attitude and held thirsty fans at bay with the release of his “Vatican” mixtapes. With the Cuban Linx 2 release date still up in the air, Wu's Chef dishes about having a classic, Hip-Hop’s state of affairs, and how no one in the game has come close to the level of the Wu.

AllHipHop.com: How does it feel to know that you have one of the most classic albums ever in Only Built 4 Cuban Linx?

Raekwon: Well number one, it feels good. It feels good to know that I achieved a mark that I always felt I could. But for the most part, I tend to stay humble and respect that and not be overwhelmed with the love. It just makes me stronger as an artist because I know that people watch what I put out. So it’s kind of a double-edged sword where it’s a good thing and a bad thing only because…the bad thing about it is that you have to stay on that level as being one of the best, because if you don’t, then why’d you make that? It keeps me on my toes.

It’s like how we love gangster flicks and we feel like DeNiro need to make one more. Just give us one more, Al Pacino—and they f**k around and give us one more, in their own little way. I guess when it comes down to some of your favorites, you want that. You want them to take you there.

AllHipHop.com: Does it make you sad, for lack of a better word—‘cause there’s no message in music anymore…

Raekwon: It’s f**ked up. It’s there, but it’s being dealt with on a very wack level because people are so much into now seeing people kill each other off and dramatizing. Who don’t like a fight? That’s just the where the face of Hip-Hop went and don’t get me wrong—you got generations upon generations coming into the business every year. It seems like the kids are getting younger and younger and learning it now. Now you got young kids knowing how to rhyme and put words together because they’re being guided by what we’re talking about. So overall, it’s just about balance. Everything in life has to have a balance. When you giving somebody something like this, you gotta be able to be versatile and give them that. But if the people ain’t corresponding or the disc jockeys just don’t feel like playing that, that don’t necessarily mean to shoot it in the head or shoot it down or look down on somebody like their album ain’t the truth. You can’t say that because it’s just about sprinkling all type of good s**t. And me being the Chef, that’s my mission. I want to go down in history as a rapper that knew how to make the dance rap and the n***a that knew how to do the grimy s**t. I’m a real MC and it’s like to me, that’s what makes an MC. Because when he could go somewhere that you least expected him he could go. But now you got rap just being cosmetic now; like who talking the toughest, who got the most metaphors, who got the nice cute hook.

AllHipHop.com: Yeah, it’s like you can’t win in that kind of a situation.

Raekwon: All you can do is just be you. That’s all I try to do. I don’t try to talk about something I haven’t witnessed or I haven’t experienced. When you get [to an] age like myself, it ain’t guaranteed you gonna make it out the hood at 25, so when you do, you start growing up as a man, your pants start coming up more, you start wearing a belt—and that’s all a part of growing. So I just feel like that needs to be more exercised and it’s so important for us to know the right people we putting in these positions to talk about certain dudes. Certain dudes, you gotta really break it down for people. Like sometimes, I might have read an article and it says, “His lyrics were sharp, he still got it…but RZA could have been on the track.” It’s like, ‘Yo, hold up; you dealing with your own personal feelings, you not dealing with the fact that it sounds good. If it’s good is good.” It’s so sad ‘cause a lot people really listen to certain motherf**kas that they think is really the ref like that.

AllHipHop.com: Do you think fans don’t allow artists to grow?

Raekwon: Yeah, because fans are fickle. They’ll be with you one minute then turn on you—that’s part of the business. But I think sometimes as far myself, people weren’t ready for me to grow up yet and still stay with that certain hunger and that’s all they wanted. When we came in, Hip-Hop was fun too. So to not be able to get that same thing they had then and then it not being fun no more, now it’s time to start basing your judgment on something that really, you being stubborn with it.

By my name being chef—Meth told n***as on the first album—“Rae is the n***a that’s gonna cook up that marvelous s**t, period.” He ain’t never say Rae is the dude that’s gonna stay here; he gonna cook up all type of s**t ‘cause that’s what a chef does. A chef gotta have a kitchen with all kinds of ingredients and I know that I’m one of the dudes in the Wu that stand out like that. And that’s only because I’m around all types of individuals. Y’all gotta remember the personalities of Wu-Tang. They blemish off each other. RZA’s gonna come how RZA’s gonna come. Rae can’t never come how RZA come, but Rae could use a little bit of RZA’s slang or RZA could use a little bit of Rae’s slang, or use GZA’s and GZA uses Deck’s and Deck uses Ghost’s. We told y’all ahead of time all this s**t, but now it’s a new time, people don’t understand why we all doing solo s**t. We said that!

So I think just the challenge alone of having a classic gives me the opportunity to go make one more. To me, all my albums are classic—but like you said, to step on what you already stepped on, it is a challenge and it’s a…whatever. It’s like both sides, but I’m equipped for it. I feel like me in the game anyway, I haven’t given what I felt I was ready to give y’all all yet. Because I been so much of a team player and that’s why there’s gaps in my career where you haven’t heard me because I had to give the other brother the opportunity to be heard. We wasn’t thinking back then [‘92] to have nine albums all out bumpin’. We didn’t want to hurt each other’s feelings with sales; ‘cause all that s**t just bring about egos. But in a way that was good and bad. It’s two shots because it’s like, it’s your time and then people could be wanting you and then next thing you know, by you being so far away, now they ain’t ready to grow with you.

AllHipHop.com: You can see this in the writing…

Raekwon: God bless the dead, [Old] Dirty [Bastard] used to have a dictionary. And he didn’t have no problems at any time pulling it out if he felt like it, but this is way after his career of him being who he is, but act like if after a while a n***a don’t come at him with a dictionary, that he not holding on to it. And we used to laugh about it and be like, “Yo, you crazy n***a, you cheatin’,” and he’d be like [on point impersonation of ODB] ‘”F**k you, n***a, n***a I’m still ill, n***a—I just need a word—I ran out of words!’” To me, even back like 15 years ago, RZA been had rhymes. He been a lyricist, but he had the passion to make music. So it’s like when y’all hear him come—and even on this album right here, RZA didn’t really go all the way in ‘cause he felt like he didn’t want to take away from the Cuban Linx s**t. But at the same time, he did go in on it. You may hear a rhyme and you’ll be like, “Yo, that’s the RZA.” Somebody may be like, “Where Bobby Digital at?”—but that’s the RZA right there though.

That’s another thing—we have personalities. Like I may be Raekwon right now, but I might flash over to Lex Diamond and you won’t even know. That’s how we move. We are swift and changeable. When you break the initials of Wu-Tang, it’s plain and simple who we are: the “Witty, Unpredictable, Talented, And Natural Game.” And we got natural game. It’s so natural, it ain’t even game anymore, it’s just us. We could start a fire with a f**king thought, if we want to.

I’m gonna be honest with you: I ain’t seen nobody come in the game yet on the level that we came in. That’s why it’s so much of a highly anticipated thing about us coming back—‘cause you can’t get that. Now you got motherf**kers assembling crews like that to try to be that [Wu-Tang], but nobody could ever be that. And I’m not saying that’s anybody’s plan; you don’t know, it might be or it might not. But I’m just saying to have that solar system of dudes doing that…we didn’t even know that we were doing that when we did it. We didn’t know we were going to be a nine-man clique until we realized, “Damn, it is a lot of us on that s**t”. And it was what it was, so it was like f**k that—that’s how we comin’. The names: “Yo, my name Lex Diamond,” “Yeah? My name Tony Starks aka IronMan,” “I’m the Rza—the resurrector,” “I’m the Genius—I’m the GZA,” Masta Killa— his name was Noodles—you know certain names is for certain respects. Maximilon—GZA. Maximilion was one of the top gangstas in one of these movies we was looking at, and he was the brains. And we always look at GZA and RZA as being our forefathers in our crew because they got the most experience.

AllHipHop.com: Right, ‘cause they had their solo albums…

Raekwon: Yeah, they did it before us. So if you can’t pay the respect to those who did it before you, then you ain’t really giving it up right. Them dudes put a lot of influence on dudes too.

AllHipHop.com: On Enter the 36 Chambers, one of the interludes, when Method Man was breaking down every member, he said, “We form like Voltron, and GZA’s the head.”

Raekwon: Exactly. And he didn’t know he was gonna say that; he don’t glorify that. But to us, that’s how we look at it. It’s so crazy when I think about how Meth described everybody that day—he described all of us to the fullest.

http://www.allhiphop.com/features/?ID=1514
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: The Game Preps New Hurricane Sneaker, New Album

Compton CA rapper The Game is preparing to release the second run of his Hurricane sneaker in addition to the latest album The Doctor's Advocate.

"The Hurricane 1 was more of a canvas, an everyday shoe," The Game told AllHipHop.com. "This next shoe is a little more sporty, a little more urban, so you're going to catch a lot more of the Hip-Hop heads rocking the Hurricane 2."

The rapper teamed with Skechers USA and 310 Motoring to create and release The Hurricane. The shoe became a fast seller when it hit stores in Dec. 2005, helping Skechers 2005 net income increase almost 90% over 2004.

Skechers also surpassed the $1 billion mark in sales in 2005 for the first time since the company was founded in 1992.

"We're holding it down - nobody can f**k with us right now," Game boasted.

Game also spoke on his upcoming album The Doctors Advocate, which is slated to hit stores in Nov. on The Game's Black Wallstreet imprint, which is distributed by Geffen.

"I'm selling a million records the first week. When people buy the album, you'll see all the pain, all the struggle I've been going through the last two years," Game continued. "I'm lyrically and mentally at a space in Hip-Hop where only Rakim, B,I.G., Pac, Nas, Jigga, Snoop could understand. I'm on a whole 'nother level. I'm ahead of the game right now."

The Doctor's Advocate, which features production by Dr. Dre, Kanye West, Just Blaze, Timbaland, Scott Storch, Cool & Dre and guest appearances by Nas, Mary J. Blight, Snoop Dogg, Lauryn Hill and others, hits stores Nov. 7.

The new Hurricane sneaker hits stores Nov. 21.

http://allhiphop.com/hiphopnews/?ID=6100
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Eddie F Named New Voxonic Executive Director of Production

Accomplished music producer/songwriter Edward "Eddie F" Ferrell has been appointed as executive director of production for Voxonic Inc. The beatmaker will be responsible for all music production work and mixing for the company's music clients while serving in his new position.

"As one of the pioneers of sampling and hip-hop, I am thrilled to once again be at the forefront of something so groundbreaking and innovative," said Edward "Eddie F" Ferrell. "Voxonic's capability to flawlessly transform the voices of artists I know and love into different languages has blown me away."

Voxonic provides technology used to create voice conversion into more than 1,400 foreign languages. The New York-based company's works have been used in international business, politics, music, entertainment and the video game industry.

With more than 20 years in the music industry, having Ferrell on board is a plus, said Arie Deutsch, President of Entertainment at Voxonic Inc.

"Eddie F's musical and production expertise is an asset that will add significant quality and credibility to the work that we do. I am confident that he will assist us in producing great music that is enjoyable to listen to in any language."

Best known as a cofounder of Heavy D and the Boyz, Ferrell has been credited with discovering and launching the careers of Donell Jones, Al B. Sure, Pete Rock & CL Smooth and Heavy D.

Along with his team of writers, Ferrell has produced and written songs for popular artists such as Mariah Carey, Mary J. Blige, LL Cool J, Will Smith, Destiny's Child, Luther Vandross and Run-DMC.

http://allhiphop.com/hiphopnews/?ID=6102
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Brooklyn Rapper Joell Ortiz Signs With Aftermath

Brooklyn-bred rapper Joell Ortiz has signed to Aftermath Records according to representatives for the rapper.

Aftermath is the label producer Dr. Dre founded after he departed Death Row Records.

In a prewritten statement, Ortiz expressed his desire to be mentioned among the other greats in the rap game.

"So far it's been great and I'm glad people are feeling me now but I know I have a long way to go before I'm running with the big boys like Jay-Z or 50 Cent," Ortiz said in a statement. "That's where I'm trying to reach, nothing less."

Prior to his signing, the rapper had been recognized in AllHipHop's Breeding Ground, The Source magazine, XXL and other Hip-Hop media outlets.

Additionally, he's recorded material with rap legends like Kool G Rap and KRS-One and newer artists like Sha Stimuli, another rapper from Brooklyn.

Ortiz landed a song called "I Mean Business" on EA Sports' NBA Live 2005 and a mixtape called Who the F**K is Joell Ortiz?

Joell Ortiz joins rappers like Eminem, 50 Cent, Busta Rhymes, Eve and Philadelphia newcomer G.A.G.E., who are all included on Aftermath's roster.

http://allhiphop.com/hiphopnews/?ID=6103
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: AllHipHop.com Interview With Method Man

Method Man's name, stage persona and music are defined by an intoxicating mixture of gruff flows, sharp lyricism and witty magnetism. Truth be told, he was the only member of Wu-Tang Clan recognizable to the general population for the longest. The tall, lanky, charismatic rapper has come quite a ways from his discovery in 1992, along with the rest of the crew. The youngest member in the Clan, Meth offered many firsts for the group, including platinum sales, a Grammy award and a plethora of other credits in film and television. The cliff notes of Method Man's career serve only as a scant reminder of the past, but not necessary a blueprint of the for his future.

Fast forward to 2006 and Meth's career and mind state continue to expand as he's grown into an elder statesman of lyricism. With the release of 4:21: The Day After, Meth has quietly released one of the finer rap albums of the year, even though he appears to be fending for himself against critics and the public opinion. The rapper with over a dozen nicknames has become increasingly outspoken after years being shrouded in mystery.

The Staten Island- native challenges the rigid, seemingly uncaring business of music, Wu-Tang's state of being, the plight of Africa, and global warming juxtaposed with his life temporarily becoming fodder for urban tabloids. For some, this conversation serves as detox, whereas for others, it only makes Meth's madness all the more addicting.

AllHipHop.com: What's the deal with you and your situation at Def Jam?

Method Man: I’ve seeing a lot of weird s*** going on up here since the transition. [Back in the ‘90s,] the procedure was way different. It was like I could just walk up in [Lyor Cohen's] office and say, "What's good?" So it’s not like that anymore. I would get phone calls from Kevin Liles just checkin' to see how I was doing. I'm not knocking the way it is now, it’s "whatever, whatever," but even at the end, Kevin Liles was like doubting the kid.

AllHipHop.com: Right, so what about the current situation with Jay-Z as the president, even L.A. Reid who isn’t really considered a Hip-Hop dude, more of an R&B kind of dude --

Method Man: I can’t call it. When they first came in, I was excited like anybody else. You know, as it went on I found myself in a funny situation, whereas it was like things was happening up there, under their noses but nobody was hands-on enough to see it happening. So what when I made a big stink about were the little things piling up, everybody looking at me like I’m crazy to try and start some trouble or something. Not necessarily those dudes [Jay and L.A. Reid], but those staff people.

AllHipHop.com: It seems as though Def Jam is South-heavy and Pop-heavy right now with Jeezy, Rick Ross and Rihanna, but in the ‘90s it was DMX, Redman, Jay-Z, Ja Rule, you, and others…

Method Man: Why is that though? I mean, [is that] just because they from the South, I mean --

AllHipHop.com: No, it’s not. I’m saying that at one point in time it seemed like Def Jam was more of a family whereas, you know --

Method Man: You got to go [down South], now because got to go where the money at, you know what I’m saying? I could see if it was just so blatant like other [labels] that just, you know went to the South for artists or something like that. But it more or less like look Jeezy was like the n**** that stuck out the most out of the Boyz-N-The Hood. Method Man stuck out the most out of the Wu-Tang, I guess at that point in time and s**t. I’m saying, they going where the money at. You can’t knock 'em for that. It’s not real South-heavy it’s just that them motherf****** are selling records. As far as the Pop side, I agree with you because that Pop s**t, it’s like you got n***** coming out with first singles that ain’t got nothing to do with where we at with it in New York right now. Its like Dipset n***** is hard as s***, but then [Juelz] Santana came out with the [“Oh Yes”] jump-off. I don’t know what kind of calculated move that was right there, but it was like, "Nah, come on."

Ghostface came out with the f******* “Back Like That,” which was a dope as single, but not Ghost’s first single. Ghost’s first single off [Supreme Clientele] s*** was what? “Apollo Kids,” right? See, how that s**t smacked n*****, waking them up and s**t? But to go from that to "Back Like That," it gave Ne-Yo more credit really, than Ghost. It gave Ne-Yo crossover ability than it did Ghost. Because Ne-Yo was being Pop, and now he over in the hood with it.

S***, my people around, they lucky because I was going by my f****** self. And I be ready to go off in the parties and wait for n***** to come through the front door, soon as they come through the front door. [Makes punching sound] "B****!"

AllHipHop.com: Who are you talking about?

Method Man: Writers, critics, every last one of them motherf******, anybody that ever shoveled dirt on my s***.

AllHipHop.com: What do you think people do that maliciously because I don’t know, I’ve interviewed you a couple of times.

Method Man: Not everybody does it maliciously, but there are times like where got to read in between the lines. And you know what a person’s saying when they say certain s***. Motherf****** do a article, [and] he’s starting it off with, "I don’t know if Meth's lost some of his [star power] or I don’t know if Meth can still do it since messing with Hollywood." S*** like that. You know we ain't talkin' about that in the interview. Like them two paragraphs that writers always throw in before they start the articles, you know so everybody can suck them off, "Oh, he’s such a great writer."

AllHipHop.com: Right, right.

Method Man: ‘Cause they’re all trying to get jobs at those other magazines like f****** Maxim and s*** like that - and using us to do it - not on our backs, because we not Mariah Carey. We not f****** Justin Timberlake and these mother f****** where it’s like you can follow us. Why you think paparazzi don’t run up on rap n***** like that with all that flashin' s*** because they think they gonna get shot. So the same s*** with these n***** with these pens and all that s**t and mother f****** saying certain s*** about n***** when they on the radio like, "His s*** ain’t bumping no more." And somebody gonna see you and test your f****** works because we’re not Mariah Carey and we not Justin. We from the ghetto. Don’t say anything about my motherf****** ghetto or how I spit my s*** like I ain’t real, n****. You ain’t real. F*** you.

AllHipHop.com: What do you feel about New York now? Is there an identity crisis?

Method Man: You know these kids was looking for something to follow man. With L.A. with the gang s*** and all that s*** with the n*****, and regardless to the killing and the drug dealing and everything, them n***as is family. They don't s*** on they family, man. But over here man, New York n***** are so greedy, man. It’s like, "S***, I’m gonna keep that lesson to myself." They ain’t give no blessing, they ain’t teaching these little n***as nothing. Teach these little n***** something out there to identify with. Now you got Bloods and got all this crazy s*** going on.

AllHipHop.com: Yeah, yeah.

Method Man: "It’s like I don’t want to be in that s***, n****. I don’t even go to school. F*** you, n***a. Who the f*** is Socrates?" You know. But don’t get me wrong, ‘cause there’s a lot of n***as out there in the street are holdin' [hot lyrics]- they just ain’t being heard right now.

AllHipHop.com: Absolutely.

Method Man: Ghost's Fishscale album was crazy. It was crazy but it did the Soul thing.

AllHIpHop.com: The Soul thing?

Method Man: That album, I feel it was rushed. Aw, I hate that. I feel it was rushed. I feel he had a lot of s*** on his mind, which he expressed. As far as [the tracks], and things like that sometimes it was happening and sometimes it was like he got the benefit of the doubt, because he was Ghost.

AllHipHop.com: What do you mean benefit of the doubt?

Method Man: Like Rob Base on "It Takes Two," which stood by itself. Rob Base wasn’t the most lyrical n**** in the world, but he was on that song. It’s vice versa with Ghost. Some of these beats wasn’t Ghostface caliber and s**t that you heard in the past but it was still Ghost. And Ghost if you love Ghost, you love whatever the f**k he spat on. I said "Spat!"

AllHipHop.com: Busta’s album’s crazy too.

Method Man: Oh man Busta got it together. Busta is like he got his post. He got his thing. Nobody out there can say Busta ain’t Hip-Hop, ever. I don’t give a f***, even the whole entertainment aspect, one of the greatest entertainers that ever did it, man.

AllHipHop.com: Right. Do you feel like that your acting career has detracted from the Hip-Hop aspect?

Method Man: You know what took away from the Hip-Hop aspect of my s***? It was all the trial and tribulation that started coming with being on a label [Def Jam] that was going through a transition. Our machine is built and you see that everybody plays their position which is exactly what I did for my last motherf****** album. They wasn’t saying that ["Meth went Hollywood"] on my second album. They wasn’t saying that on my first album. But they gonna say it on this one ‘cause they done seen all the movies and everything. So they just waiting for me to fail.

AllHipHop.com: Yeah, definitely.

Method Man: I don’t let it bother me no more. My fans ain’t as stupid as these people thinking they just a lot of stupid motherf**kers that run with our fans and s***. They gonna see that s*** for what is and they just gonna sit back and laugh.

AllHipHop.com: So you’re not mad at the music game right now.

Method Man: I mean, yeah, I am. I ain’t gonna front. Oh yes, I am I’m not gonna sit for it, no way. It’s good for the game because it shows that it’s not just and East Coast, West Coast thing the way it used to be. Now it’s Midwest, Down South, the s*** got transitioned. But I’m gonna quote Erick Sermon on it: “This s*** is turning into fast food.” Every f****** week, man, it’s a new “Young something.” And I ain’t disrespecting none of them n*****. But it’s like we gonna see s*** for what the f*** it is.

AllHipHop.com: Definitely.

Method Man: You know, it’s a different "Young" this, you know what I’m saying. It’s like that man live with that or let those two dudes live with that - whoever had the [name] first. Let them live with that. You know, then it becomes monotonous, repetitive, all the words that go with that s***.

AllHipHop.com: What about lyricism, man? Like you say, you got many styles but also lyrics.

Method Man: It gets to a point where they don’t give a f*** what you got to say no more. Because you been battered and bruised so much like they don’t care what the f*** you got anymore.

http://www.allhiphop.com/features/?ID=1517
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: B-Boy Game Coming To PlayStation

Video game giant PlayStation is expanding its relationship with hip-hop culture with the release of B-Boy, a new video game influenced by the company’s sponsorship of the annual UK B-Boy Championships.

The game, developed by FreeStyleGames in collaboration with Rock Steady Crew member Crazy Legs and DJ Hooch, will also feature scenes from the championships as players build crews to battle real-life superstar B-Boys and event host Crazy Legs in "B-Boy Life" mode.

The idea for B-Boy sprung from years of discussion among those at PlayStation, who has sponsored the Championships over the last 11 years.

"Over the many years of sponsorship, we have talked about taking the inspiration from the championships to create a B-Boy game. Now it's here, we are all excited. This games comes with all the authenticity of B-Boy culture, featuring the top B-Boys from the around the world, and the dynamic game play we always dreamed of," said Carl Christopher of PlayStation.

The first UK B-Boy Championships were held in 1996, as a small underground hip-hop event at London's Shepherds Bush Empire.

The goal of the original event, which featured Crazy Legs and performances from London Posse and Schoolly D, was to put a much needed spotlight on the effect and reach of B-Boy culture by showing the art of battle between B-Boy crews.

The also attracted national qualifiers in Japan, Korea, USA & Europe.

This year's event, hosted by Crazy Legs and Afrika Islam of the Universal Zulu Nation, will feature performances from Big Daddy Kane as well as popping, locking and beatbox battles.

The B-Boy game is slated to be released this month on PlayStation Portable (PSP) and PlayStation 2.

The UK B-Boy Championships will be Oct. 7 and 8 at Carling Academy, Brixton and London's Brixton Academy.

http://allhiphop.com/hiphopnews/?ID=6107
NoMoreGame7s
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject:

Bump - did you forget about this thread, LF4L?

Thanks for the avatar, Hybrid27.
NoMoreGame7s
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject:

Please use this thread LF4L - I'm beggin' ya.

Thanks for the avatar, Hybrid27.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16
Page 16 of 16
Jump to: