Does Mitch Have A Lifetime Contract?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
The Logo wrote:
Honestly I think Magic is the biggest guy to blame, as to why the team blew up. After we got swept by Dallas, I remember him saying that Mitch needed to blow the team up, when we just came off of three Finals appearances and were facing the eventual champion Mavericks. After that Mitch pulled the trigger on the CP3 trade, Stern and the league vetoed it, Lamar fell off the deep end, and Pau was never really the same with us. Sessions was also a pretty terrible fit with us. Took some of the ball handling responsibilities off Kobe, but he couldn't space the floor when Kobe had the ball, which made Blake a more viable option down the stretch than him. Had Magic not made those comments on national TV, Lakers wouldn't have panicked, Lamar would still be in the league, and Pau would've had more of an incentive to stay.

I have a very hard time believing that the Lakers made any move based on something that Magic said.

And trading for Chris Paul isn't exactly what I would call a panic move.

If one of the GOATs who represents that respective team is on national TV after a humbling loss and says his team needs to blow it up, there's bound to be some repercussions. Sure, the CP3 trade wasn't necessarily a panic move, but trading Lamar a few days afterward certainly was.

I think that history has shown that trading LO was a positive move.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
The Logo wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
The Logo wrote:
Honestly I think Magic is the biggest guy to blame, as to why the team blew up. After we got swept by Dallas, I remember him saying that Mitch needed to blow the team up, when we just came off of three Finals appearances and were facing the eventual champion Mavericks. After that Mitch pulled the trigger on the CP3 trade, Stern and the league vetoed it, Lamar fell off the deep end, and Pau was never really the same with us. Sessions was also a pretty terrible fit with us. Took some of the ball handling responsibilities off Kobe, but he couldn't space the floor when Kobe had the ball, which made Blake a more viable option down the stretch than him. Had Magic not made those comments on national TV, Lakers wouldn't have panicked, Lamar would still be in the league, and Pau would've had more of an incentive to stay.

I have a very hard time believing that the Lakers made any move based on something that Magic said.

If one of the GOATs who represents that respective team is on national TV after a humbling loss and says his team needs to blow it up, there's bound to be some repercussions. Sure, the CP3 trade wasn't necessarily a panic move, but trading Lamar a few days afterward certainly was.

Kobe, Derek, and Pau could've reasoned with him and talk himself out of demanding a trade. What would've happened if the Lakers supported Odom more, so he didn't have to go to a new environment, which ultimately proved to be toxic for him?
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject:

Well, no one gets a lifetime job. I think Mitch is not blameless but he is less blameworthy than ownership. He has been treated by ownership as merely a media face and technician (and less as a trusted adviser than in prior years) under the reclusive Jim Buss.

This is not Mitch's fault. I blame Jim for most of what's been poorly guessed and sacrificed in the past three years. Everything was risked to make a title run with Kobe. It was a poorly run risk and they're paying for it now.

The Lakers sacrificed this entire period's talent replacement chances on the Nash deal, a move very badly done. They screwed up the time which has just passed now with mistaking Pau's usefulness and Dwight's willingness to improve. They screwed the fans at the gate with a desperately poor risk of Kobe's humongous, worthless extension. They hired coaches who didn't work out at all. None of that gets piled on Mitch, IMO.

I think free agents look at our favorite franchise today with suspicion, and why shouldn't they ? The change came with the advent of Jim Buss in the leadership position. I don't like the franchise's chance to turn this thing around - except by chance - with Buss at the helm.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
The Logo wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
The Logo wrote:

Kobe, Derek, and Pau could've reasoned with him and talk himself out of demanding a trade. What would've happened if the Lakers supported Odom more, so he didn't have to go to a new environment, which ultimately proved to be toxic for him?

Odom was never the most emotionally stable person to begin with. Recent events have only proven that even further, unless you happen to think that his entire life became a total train wreck because of one trade.

And once again, Magic has no influence on what the team does, nor should he. Mitch and the rest of the FO couldn't care less what he says, especially in the heat of the moment.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6
Jump to: