red auerbach daughter "almost glad my father not around" to see current celtics! lol!

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
magical.lakers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:35 am    Post subject: red auerbach daughter "almost glad my father not around" to see current celtics! lol!

came across this article. couldnt help but laugh. 1 title in 30 some years and whats ticking her off is the celtics are trashing her father's legacy. all the quotes here

http://clnsradio.com/boston-celtics-news/item/13187-boston-celtics-2-0-the-real-selling-of-the-green
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject:

this is actually a really good article to read for those that are into some of the deeper going-ons of the nba. thanks!
Quote:
Even after a run of sustained excellence and the franchise finally capturing the forever elusive 17th championship in 2008, it hasn’t been the same since.

Why?

“Fear,” said the daughter of the famed franchise patriarch, Randy Auerbach. “It’s fear and peer pressure. ‘Well the other teams have it, so we must.’ So they ignore the real fan because they know they can. They feel they have to go with what’s going on. And that’s [appeasing] the ADD culture and fans at the games who are on their cell phones.”

Indeed, the predominant portion of the crowd is far different than the patrons at the old Garden. What was once a crowd of 14,890 seemingly made up of entirely working people is now...well, now God knows what. Not even the most observant of all Celtics observers knows.

“I don’t know this [Celtics] fanbase,” said Boston Globe columnist emeritus Bob Ryan on the 141st Celtics Beat podcast. “I knew the one in the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s and why they would come and their purpose of athletic viewing life. I’m serious, I don’t know what [today’s fans] come for.

“Seems to me the only reason they come is to see themselves on the jumbotron. And if you were to take an exit quiz on the way out: Who just played and who just won? A lot of them would flunk,” Ryan continued.

While there’s no scientific study readily available to us, one would have to be as blind as a bat to not notice the significant drop of fan intellect of those who attend sporting events. The heads entrenched in the cell phones and the manipulation by the big screen serve as two on an infinite list of examples. With the Celtics ‘game presentation’ (a phrase that is utterly repugnant, by the way) now catering to this, one gets the prescription drug treatment which attempts to cure one ill while producing detrimental amounts of side effects.

Constantly catering to the lowest common denominator with low rent forms of entertainment can create a lot of cheap and quick ways to snag revenue. However it’s a house of cards. “You aren’t creating lifelong fans by doing this,” Auerbach lamented.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
this is actually a really good article to read for those that are into some of the deeper going-ons of the nba. thanks!
Quote:
Even after a run of sustained excellence and the franchise finally capturing the forever elusive 17th championship in 2008, it hasn’t been the same since.

Why?

“Fear,” said the daughter of the famed franchise patriarch, Randy Auerbach. “It’s fear and peer pressure. ‘Well the other teams have it, so we must.’ So they ignore the real fan because they know they can. They feel they have to go with what’s going on. And that’s [appeasing] the ADD culture and fans at the games who are on their cell phones.”

Indeed, the predominant portion of the crowd is far different than the patrons at the old Garden. What was once a crowd of 14,890 seemingly made up of entirely working people is now...well, now God knows what. Not even the most observant of all Celtics observers knows.

“I don’t know this [Celtics] fanbase,” said Boston Globe columnist emeritus Bob Ryan on the 141st Celtics Beat podcast. “I knew the one in the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s and why they would come and their purpose of athletic viewing life. I’m serious, I don’t know what [today’s fans] come for.

“Seems to me the only reason they come is to see themselves on the jumbotron. And if you were to take an exit quiz on the way out: Who just played and who just won? A lot of them would flunk,” Ryan continued.

While there’s no scientific study readily available to us, one would have to be as blind as a bat to not notice the significant drop of fan intellect of those who attend sporting events. The heads entrenched in the cell phones and the manipulation by the big screen serve as two on an infinite list of examples. With the Celtics ‘game presentation’ (a phrase that is utterly repugnant, by the way) now catering to this, one gets the prescription drug treatment which attempts to cure one ill while producing detrimental amounts of side effects.

Constantly catering to the lowest common denominator with low rent forms of entertainment can create a lot of cheap and quick ways to snag revenue. However it’s a house of cards. “You aren’t creating lifelong fans by doing this,” Auerbach lamented.

Eh. Seems like generic griping that the world today is different than the world 30 years ago. Any time someone starts talking about "real fans" I know some BS is coming my way. Generally that just means, "People are doing things or thinking in a different way than I do and I don't like it one bit, because the way I do and think is the best."
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
Quote:

Why?

Eh. Seems like generic griping that the world today is different than the world 30 years ago. Any time someone starts talking about "real fans" I know some BS is coming my way. Generally that just means, "People are doing things or thinking in a different way than I do and I don't like it one bit, because the way I do and think is the best."

you are disingenuously glossing over most of the more interesting elements of that article. yes, there is a hint of what you describe, but the way the article is written, and the information they are giving along with the quotes is saying so much more than that. and that is not even a major point of the article. all you are saying is that you are not interested in the content.

yes, there are changes occurring. and it looks like this...
fans going to games and not watching them, and more there for the entertainment experience. well, for fans who take the game more seriously, this is a concern because it becomes less about basketball and more about just providing two hours of random fun...some music, some drama, people cheering having fun.
while this makes sense business-wise, it's not great for the long term basketball fan, as mentioned above. the issue is that it's not just always about the bottom line with professional sports. because it is a very important part of the fabric of society, there is more involved than just the profits. so all these sides are supposed to come up with a good balance of things. players, management, media, government. but to people like young auerbach there, they are lamenting that things are too imbalanced now, and the business pressure to cater to these short term goals is a problem. she's not wrong, we are kind of seeing it here with the lakers also.

here's what i see happening...
celtics had a good run early on 50s-60s. there was a weird 70s transition. lakers took over the mantle in the 80s and lasted until now. Now, it sure seems like the warriors have a chance to be the next one. the warriors are poised for a run like the lakers and celtics, as hard/annoying as it is to imagine for laker fans, including me.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:43 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
fans going to games and not watching them, and more there for the entertainment experience. well, for fans who take the game more seriously, this is a concern because it becomes less about basketball and more about just providing two hours of random fun...some music, some drama, people cheering having fun.
while this makes sense business-wise, it's not great for the long term basketball fan, as mentioned above.

I think this is more about people having shorter attention spans -- in addition to the game, they want to watch their phones and have other sensory input.

We see that everywhere, not just at sporting arenas. Go to a business meeting, everyone is on their phone. Go to a movie, and people are texting during the movie.

This isn't an issue with the NBA specifically, and I don't see how anyone thinks the NBA can change how people think/act. The NBA is in the entertainment business, so it makes sense they would provide the entertainment people want today, not the entertainment people wanted 30 years ago.

This article is like people railing that movie theatres today should only show silent films because that what "real film fans" like.

The times are always a-changing. And people have always complained that the times today (even when "today" was 10 or 20 or 30 years ago) suck compared to how they used to be.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject:

just because times are a changing doesn't mean the details of the change and the manner in which it happens is of no interest. i don't get this attitude. it's like coming to a lakers forum, seeing that everyone is talking about the lakers, then dismissing all the rest of the going-ons because you are saying "ah, it's just another team-oriented discussion forum". yea...so...?

one thing that seems to be interesting (at least to me) is that the celtics have already been through what we seem to be going through now, this massive shift in nba power. so any information and details about that is cool by me.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
just because times are a changing doesn't mean the details of the change and the manner in which it happens is of no interest. i don't get this attitude. it's like coming to a lakers forum, seeing that everyone is talking about the lakers, then dismissing all the rest of the going-ons because you are saying "ah, it's just another team-oriented discussion forum". yea...so...?

one thing that seems to be interesting (at least to me) is that the celtics have already been through what we seem to be going through now, this massive shift in nba power. so any information and details about that is cool by me.

Sorry, I don't understand what you're trying to say.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject:

Most of those diehard fans are watching at home because they got priced out. Sucks but thats what it is. Nevertheless the at home experience is probably better than watching the game live when you consider you have all the real time and advanced stats right in front of you. The only thing the person watching in person experiences better than the fan at home is the atmosphere and if you are close enough, you can hear the conversations between players.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:

Sorry, I don't understand what you're trying to say.

http://www.spoilertv.com/2014/12/man-seeking-woman-new-promo-heartless.html

look at that video.
this is a discussion forum...discussion is the point. your attitude in this thread is basically i don't care it doesn't interest me, which means you don't care to discuss it. but why do you have to come in and say that? i just dont get it.

it's like if i go into the highlight thread, and my comment is:
"Ah...it's just another highlight of kobe shooting." i mean, what do you expect? i would never think about writing that?! lol. whatever, i guess. i suppose it's good to see these things from different perspectives.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
your attitude in this thread is basically i don't care it doesn't interest me, which means you don't care to discuss it.

LOL -- you are missing the dartboard completely on this one.

But I guess you think someone isn't discussing a topic if their opinion is different than yours.
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:47 am    Post subject:

At home experience being better than live games is a crock of crap. Feeling the crowd going nuts in a close game or last second play to win, nothing like it.
4stargeneralbulldog
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:01 am    Post subject:

Oliver Reed wrote:
At home experience being better than live games is a crock of crap. Feeling the crowd going nuts in a close game or last second play to win, nothing like it.

I agree. My dad was lucky enough to get tickets for Super Bowl 27, when the Cowboys played the Bills. The atmosphere was just nuts. Greatest sporting moment of my life, even though the game was a rout.

Even with the latest tvs and surround systems, watching a Super Bowl in your living room with friends and having food/drinks is still not the same as being there in person.
BirdMagicLegend
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject:

Wait, what the Celtics had a good run in the 80s too especially with Bird, McHale and Parrish. The Lakers won more championships with 5 but the Celtics weren't too bad with 3 championships.

Of course I agree with this article for the most part. The Celtics of the past were more like the Red Sox at Fenway Park - no cheerleaders, games, free giveaways and superficial stuff like that. However, times have changed and yes even some fans have changed like I notice the crowd is overall younger when I go to games this season but the hardcore fans like myself still go.

The diehards like myself are not priced out if anything the prices are more reasonable because of lower expectations. Even with lower expectations, the team is still a good team in the East and have actually surprised a lot of people. I agree with activeverb that this isn't just an issue with the Celtics but it's an issue across the NBA and even other sports.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject:

BirdMagicLegend wrote:
Wait, what the Celtics had a good run in the 80s too especially with Bird, McHale and Parrish. The Lakers won more championships with 5 but the Celtics weren't too bad with 3 championships.

Of course I agree with this article for the most part. The Celtics of the past were more like the Red Sox at Fenway Park - no cheerleaders, games, free giveaways and superficial stuff like that. However, times have changed and yes even some fans have changed like I notice the crowd is overall younger when I go to games this season but the hardcore fans like myself still go.

The diehards like myself are not priced out if anything the prices are more reasonable because of lower expectations. Even with lower expectations, the team is still a good team in the East and have actually surprised a lot of people. I agree with activeverb that this isn't just an issue with the Celtics but it's an issue across the NBA and even other sports.

Some people seem to be suggesting that the Celtics change in marketing strategies, stadium, cheerleaders and such somehow relates to their success/failure on the court.

I don't see that at all.

Prices are based on supply and demand, and the success of the team is the primary influencer of demand.

This article strikes me as nothing more than a bunch of old people who are ticked off that the world is different today than when they were younger. And 30 years from now the people who are young now will probably complain that the world in 2046 is different than the glory days of 2016.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: