Woj: Lakers have little if any chance of signing Kevin Durant; Durant wants championships
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject:

EZ-Ryder wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
EZ-Ryder wrote:
Lakerfan#37 wrote:
What if we can hire Kevin Ollie as coach, get the #1 pick, add Derozen and whiteside, would KD consider us then?
I know that's a lot of ifs.

Well there is no chance we get ollie. The thunder already tried to get him and he said no and that was with durant and wb on the team. Also it depends on if durant even wants to play with derozan and whiteside. But that team is a hell of a better sell than what we have now and is a great foundation even without ollie.

Also probably b/c he knew KD/WB are free agents in 2016 and 2017. What if they all leave and he's stuck there?

Then he couldve signed a deal like what byron scott, steve clifford, or dwayne casey has. Which is a 2 year deal with an option year.

From what I hear from UCONN, he wants to try to win there post NCAA championship. It's been a bit of roller coaster there. He's not the kind of guy who just leaves in the middle of a project.
EZ-Ryder
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
EZ-Ryder wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
EZ-Ryder wrote:
Lakerfan#37 wrote:
What if we can hire Kevin Ollie as coach, get the #1 pick, add Derozen and whiteside, would KD consider us then?
I know that's a lot of ifs.

Well there is no chance we get ollie. The thunder already tried to get him and he said no and that was with durant and wb on the team. Also it depends on if durant even wants to play with derozan and whiteside. But that team is a hell of a better sell than what we have now and is a great foundation even without ollie.

Also probably b/c he knew KD/WB are free agents in 2016 and 2017. What if they all leave and he's stuck there?

Then he couldve signed a deal like what byron scott, steve clifford, or dwayne casey has. Which is a 2 year deal with an option year.

From what I hear from UCONN, he wants to try to win there post NCAA championship. It's been a bit of roller coaster there. He's not the kind of guy who just leaves in the middle of a project.

Exactly. Ollie never struck me as the type of guy that professes his love for his school and then bolts the minute things get rocky.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject:

Yeah, he's not Calipari or Pitino who gets in trouble and bolts. Not his character at all.
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject:

I don't agree our chance to land KD this summer is remote. We have a very good young core to support him chasing champions in coming 5 years, if not next year, which is his prime. Russell, Randle and Clarkson are all good enough players to be 2nd to 4th man in a championship team, not to mention the potential top 3 pick this summer, other FAs and trade.

Hibbert, Black, Upshaw
Randle, Nance, Bass
KD, Ingram, Brown,
Clarkson, Young
Russell, Lou

I would particularly like how the team are built: 1)perimeter oriented, all guards and wings are very versatile and with decent athleticism, can hit jumper, can handle, can make play and can run the floor. 2)front court players have very good mobility to cover and with ability to play both in the post and stretch the floor. Hibbert(should bulk up this summer) and Upshaw also provide some height.

This squad are young, versatile with decent athleticism and could be excel in today's uptempo, small ball style basketball. More important, with room for further improvement i.e. sign other FAs or trade for suitable players

Last edited by Sina on Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject:

I don't think Hibbert is an attractive piece and DLO/JC backcourt is still years away from being defensively competent.
Money23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I don't think Hibbert is an attractive piece and DLO/JC backcourt is still years away from being defensively competent.

by the time Russell and Randle are ready to be good-great overall players KD will be at 30-31 and will be a free agent once again and will defintely be looking to leave immediately!
andree
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject:

Sina wrote:
I don't agree our chance to land KD this summer is remote. We have a very good young core to support him chasing champions in coming 5 years, if not next year, which is his prime. Russell, Randle and Clarkson are all good enough players to be 2nd to 4th man in a championship team, not to mention the potential top 3 pick this summer, other FAs and trade.

Hibbert, Black, Upshaw
Randle, Nance, Bass
KD, Ingram, Brown,
Clarkson, Young
Russell, Lou

I would particularly like how the team are built: 1)perimeter oriented, all guards and wings are very versatile and with decent athleticism, can hit jumper, can handle, can make play and can run the floor. 2)front court players have very good mobility to cover and with ability to play both in the post and stretch the floor. Hibbert(should bulk up this summer) and Upshaw also provide some height.

This squad are young, versatile with decent athleticism and could be excel in today's uptempo, small ball style basketball. More important, with room for further improvement i.e. sign other FAs or trade for suitable players

Maybe you should wake up from your sweet dream! Durant is not coming here. And also with DeRozan and Whiteside the chances are not so high.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
And also with DeRozan and Whiteside the chances are not so high.

How do you know this? Even Zach Lowe said that DRoz will be offered a max by the Lakers. Will he take it? who knows. But I can't say that the "chances are not so high."
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject:

andree wrote:
Sina wrote:

Hibbert, Black, Upshaw
Randle, Nance, Bass
KD, Ingram, Brown,
Clarkson, Young
Russell, Lou

Maybe you should wake up from your sweet dream! Durant is not coming here. And also with DeRozan and Whiteside the chances are not so high.

If KD looks only at next season, we may not have a chance. But if he looks at next few years, we are a very good destination to him indeed.

Russell, Randle and Clarkson are too young? May be. But when the Warriors won their championship last year, both Green and Barnes were in 3rd year and Klay was in his 4th years.

Besides, we still have cap space to sign other FAs i.e. Batum or make trade of our top 3 pick this year, just like Cavaliers did last season, to speed up the rebuilding process.
EZ-Ryder
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject:

Sina wrote:
andree wrote:
Sina wrote:

Hibbert, Black, Upshaw
Randle, Nance, Bass
KD, Ingram, Brown,
Clarkson, Young
Russell, Lou

If KD looks only at next season, we may not have a chance. But if he looks at next few years, we are a very good destination to him indeed.

Russell, Randle and Clarkson are too young? May be. But when the Warriors won their championship last year, both Green and Barnes were in 3rd year and Klay was in his 4th years.

Besides, we still have cap space to sign other FAs i.e. Batum or make trade of our top 3 pick this year, just like Cavaliers did last season, to speed up the rebuilding process.

I like the optimism but our young cast is still too inexperienced. No way KD is interested in essentially playing baby sitter. He is going to be looking to compete immediately, not in 3 years.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject:

KD's biological clock is ticking. That foot isn't going to remain intact forever.

But if he is dead set on the Lakers for whatever reason, we have a puncher's chance.
Lakerfan#37
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject:

KD's most likely destination next year?
1. resign w OKC w opt out option after 1 yr
2. Sign w GS
3. Sign w SA

Not likely, but not impossible ;
Wizards
Lakers
Knicks
Clippers?

I think if OKC gets to wcf this year, he might give it another shot w WB, and resign w OKC w an opt out option after a year. If not, either GS or SA, whoever doesn't win the championship.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
KD's biological clock is ticking. That foot isn't going to remain intact forever.

But if he is dead set on the Lakers for whatever reason, we have a puncher's chance.

Until he gets up in that meeting and Jim Buss gets to talking.

"See, we're going to get you Westbrook. How about that? What do you think about playing with him? Is that a player you wish to play with?"

The room plunges into silence as Jim Buss stares at KD with his arms splayed out, a wide smile playing across his face, as if impressed with himself. He made this presentation himself, he has it in the bag. Before KD has a chance to respond, Jim hits the clicker and a large picture of Kevin Ollie in a suit with the Lakers logo in the background lights up the screen. "Kevin Ollie and Russell Westbrook, how about that my main man?" Jim says, trying to sound cool. He crosses his arms and smirks. He did such a good job with this. Take that Jeanie. Can't fire him now. He just sealed the deal on Kevin Durant.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Until he gets up in that meeting and Jim Buss gets to talking.

"See, we're going to get you Westbrook. How about that? What do you think about playing with him? Is that a player you wish to play with?"

The room plunges into silence as Jim Buss stares at KD with his arms splayed out, a wide smile playing across his face, as if impressed with himself. He made this presentation himself, he has it in the bag. Before KD has a chance to respond, Jim hits the clicker and a large picture of Kevin Ollie in a suit with the Lakers logo in the background lights up the screen. "Kevin Ollie and Russell Westbrook, how about that my main man?" Jim says, trying to sound cool. He crosses his arms and smirks. He did such a good job with this. Take that Jeanie. Can't fire him now. He just sealed the deal on Kevin Durant.

Robster8989
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject:

toffee wrote:
Robster8989 wrote:
All this talk is why I think we need to be so proactive.
Durant is a generational talent. There are only a handful of guys in the league that are worth doing anything to acquire, and he is at the top of that short list.

-Have Kobe plant a few seeds All Star weekend, with KD and WB.

-We need to move Lou and Nick (and Bass and Hibbert) in an effort to clear max cap and have assets (2nd rounders). If we don't move them this season then have deals in place for July 1, when their contracts will look better with the higher cap

-Hope to God we keep the pick.

-Move on from Byron and get Walton early in the off season.

-Have a trade in place for the pick (or for some of our young assets). (Only execute the trade if it makes sense, which COULD depend on KD committing).

-With the cap cleared, go hard after whatever players we feel would fit with the team and with KD. I think Droz and Whiteside would be great fits. (I'd throw Batum and Horford in the conversation as well, and maybe a few others). Point being give KD a reason to consider us.

Yes, he will have other great options, but I agree with VLF that we talk legacy (his and the Lakers).

If he goes elsewhere, F him, he wasn't cut out to be the next face of the franchise.

Still sign the other 2 max's, and possibly do the trade if it still makes sense, though I would be inclined to keep the young players and possibly see what deals are available at the trade deadline next season.
Sign a placeholder or 2 and make sure we can max Westbrook next season.

Westbrook, Droz, Whiteside plus 5 major young assets (a few of which could be traded for another star (or not, depending on how they and the team look), would still be a team that competes for a Chip in 2017.

Make Durant regret his decision to pass on the Lakers at some point.

Great post man, I share the same view.

Thanks Toffee, welcome to the board.

West Point '88
UCLA '92
75th Ranger Regiment '88-'04
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

If KD is "dead set on the Lakers" Id like to think we'd have a bit more than a puncher's chance..

Unless of course you just meant that you don't think our FO would (bleep) up the meeting bad enough to completely turn him off
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:28 pm    Post subject:

Our biggest advantage in getting kd is again, allowing him to create a super team (of course contingent upon trading nick and lou).
andree
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:58 pm    Post subject:

KD will go to Boston Celtics!
Makes so much sense! Already a good infrastructure. Playoffs team.
One of the best coaches in the NBA.
Plethora of picks and young pieces who give them countless posibilities to improve further.
Pedigree. Boston is a name in the NBA.
It's not obvious.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:09 am    Post subject:

andree wrote:
KD will go to Boston Celtics!
Makes so much sense! Already a good infrastructure. Playoffs team.
One of the best coaches in the NBA.
Plethora of picks and young pieces who give them countless posibilities to improve further.
Pedigree. Boston is a name in the NBA.
It's not obvious.

You get drafted or traded to Boston. I can't think of anybody significant who walked there. Rasheed Wallace in 2010, but he was over the hill and I don't even recall his impact in the finals against us.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:13 am    Post subject:

Robster8989 wrote:
toffee wrote:
Robster8989 wrote:
All this talk is why I think we need to be so proactive.
Durant is a generational talent. There are only a handful of guys in the league that are worth doing anything to acquire, and he is at the top of that short list.

-Have Kobe plant a few seeds All Star weekend, with KD and WB.

-We need to move Lou and Nick (and Bass and Hibbert) in an effort to clear max cap and have assets (2nd rounders). If we don't move them this season then have deals in place for July 1, when their contracts will look better with the higher cap

-Hope to God we keep the pick.

-Move on from Byron and get Walton early in the off season.

-Have a trade in place for the pick (or for some of our young assets). (Only execute the trade if it makes sense, which COULD depend on KD committing).

-With the cap cleared, go hard after whatever players we feel would fit with the team and with KD. I think Droz and Whiteside would be great fits. (I'd throw Batum and Horford in the conversation as well, and maybe a few others). Point being give KD a reason to consider us.

Yes, he will have other great options, but I agree with VLF that we talk legacy (his and the Lakers).

If he goes elsewhere, F him, he wasn't cut out to be the next face of the franchise.

Still sign the other 2 max's, and possibly do the trade if it still makes sense, though I would be inclined to keep the young players and possibly see what deals are available at the trade deadline next season.
Sign a placeholder or 2 and make sure we can max Westbrook next season.

Westbrook, Droz, Whiteside plus 5 major young assets (a few of which could be traded for another star (or not, depending on how they and the team look), would still be a team that competes for a Chip in 2017.

Make Durant regret his decision to pass on the Lakers at some point.

Great post man, I share the same view.

Thanks Toffee, welcome to the board.

It's a nice thought, and something to hope for. but it just seems so unrealistic.
Yea, let's see if we are able to keep this draft pic. Even if we do, it's still 2-3 years away from convincing a guy like KD that it's a championship team.

In the meantime, people are saying KD can join the Warriors, and they don't have to give up Curry, Thompson, OR Green. If the Warriors are willing to offer KD the max (of course they are) and KD doesn't have any objection (I can't see what), I don't see him passing up basically a guaranteed championship for a riskier option on the Lakers.

The argument I've heard here for the Lakers is this idea of being "the man", so I'll address that. I don't think it exists much anymore in the current league, especially with the younger generation players. it matters to Kobe or Duncan, but they are the last ones left and they are soon gone, and it doesn't matter because they don't at all represent the attitude of the majority of players now. So this to me feels like Laker fans holding on to an idea that was prevalent more so in the 80s and 90s, which it was. Back then, it was much more of a powerful motivation for staying with a team. But what's not mentioned is that the style of basketball and the economics of the league back then also strongly favored that kind of attitude. so, it's more than just a mentality.

Also, Lebron set the precedent for such a "bold" move with the decision...twice now. it's not going to shock the league or the fans anymore, or as much. So that's not big deal. Creating a superteam is perfectly ok now reputation-wise, it's not looked down upon anymore. Just like the zone, small ball, and 3point craziness....the superteam idea is now fully mature and fully in effect. All the precedents have been set, the championships have been won, the fans have become accustomed to the idea...it's no problem now. Even the salary structures and rules allow for it quite conveniently now.

The other thing is that the Lakers don't have a system now. So even if it is a preferable situation, KD doesn't know how it will play out. But KD is essentially a taller Curry, in that he can shoot like him, but he can also do things bigger players do like less work to get the shot off, more options to drive, etc...so he can see and understand that he will be able to do what Curry does and more, and the rest of the team doesn't really have to do things differently. AND they've already won doing it this way. They just have to drop him in the roster, and keep doing what they do. It really is practically a guaranteed championship. Frankly, it seems like a guaranteed dynasty...considering the age of the players.

The only complication I see is not the Lakers, but OKC itself. OKC is a really good team right now, and if they won a ring this year for whatever reason, that would really make KD hesitate to move. He still would be wise to do it, but the pressure against the move would be much stronger.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:39 am    Post subject:

Alright guys, like I said, some see KD going to the warriors as bad cause they fear it means the Lakers won't be in the championship picture for the next 5 years.

But the reality is, that isn't going to happen anyway.

Let me put a positive spin on this.

Let's say KD says yes to the Warriors, which he should.

Harrison Barnes needs somewhere to go, and they probably are looking to move Bogut in order to make Ezeli starting 5 and clear up some cap space for maybe bringing back one other role player.

Imagine the Lakers off-season going like this. Let's assume they don't keep their pick(it's a coinflip anyway at this point).

But imagine this

The Lakers give an Offer sheet to Barnes, first day of free agency, he signs it, will join once KD says yes to the Warriors.
The Lakers then also take Andrew Bogut's contract off the Warriors hand in return they get a 1st and a 2nd round pick.

The Off-season continues to turn around, the Lakers offer the max to Demar Derozan and a little under, for Hassan Whiteside.

That's it for our off-season for the most part. We have a 2nd round pick but that's a non-factor.

Now this is our lineup for the next season

Starters:
D'angelo Russell
Demar Derozan
Harrison Barnes
Julius Randle
Hassan Whiteside

Bench:
Jordan Clarkson
Lou Williams
Nick Young
Larry Nance Jr.
Andrew Bogut / Tarik Black

Now, is this so terrible?

Heck I'll even throw a new spin on that.

We keep our Pick and it lands 3rd.

We trade our Pick to Sacramento(if they remain a top 10 team) for Willie Cauly Stein and Sacramento's pick. Which will be somewhere between 6th - 8th imo. in that range, who do we draft? The best 'shooter' in the draft, Buddy Hield.

So we walk out of the draft with Willie Cauley Stein and Buddy Hield.

We go into the off-season, we make the offer sheet to Harrison Barnes and absorb Bogut's contract for an additional future 1st and 2nd round pick and cash.

So our off-season begins, with Willie Cauley-Stein, Buddy Hield, Harrison Barnes and Andrew Bogut now on the team.

And we've got money to spend.

So you see... there is positive to be had, and we could essentially guarantee landing Bogut and Barnes this off-season along with it.

I don't think anyone hates either of those prospects.
Shaolin's Finest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Alright guys, like I said, some see KD going to the warriors as bad cause they fear it means the Lakers won't be in the championship picture for the next 5 years.

But the reality is, that isn't going to happen anyway.

Let me put a positive spin on this.

Let's say KD says yes to the Warriors, which he should.

Harrison Barnes needs somewhere to go, and they probably are looking to move Bogut in order to make Ezeli starting 5 and clear up some cap space for maybe bringing back one other role player.

Imagine the Lakers off-season going like this. Let's assume they don't keep their pick(it's a coinflip anyway at this point).

But imagine this

The Lakers give an Offer sheet to Barnes, first day of free agency, he signs it, will join once KD says yes to the Warriors.
The Lakers then also take Andrew Bogut's contract off the Warriors hand in return they get a 1st and a 2nd round pick.

The Off-season continues to turn around, the Lakers offer the max to Demar Derozan and a little under, for Hassan Whiteside.

That's it for our off-season for the most part. We have a 2nd round pick but that's a non-factor.

Now this is our lineup for the next season

Starters:
D'angelo Russell
Demar Derozan
Harrison Barnes
Julius Randle
Hassan Whiteside

Bench:
Jordan Clarkson
Lou Williams
Nick Young
Larry Nance Jr.
Andrew Bogut / Tarik Black

Now, is this so terrible?

Heck I'll even throw a new spin on that.

We keep our Pick and it lands 3rd.

We trade our Pick to Sacramento(if they remain a top 10 team) for Willie Cauly Stein and Sacramento's pick. Which will be somewhere between 6th - 8th imo. in that range, who do we draft? The best 'shooter' in the draft, Buddy Hield.

So we walk out of the draft with Willie Cauley Stein and Buddy Hield.

We go into the off-season, we make the offer sheet to Harrison Barnes and absorb Bogut's contract for an additional future 1st and 2nd round pick and cash.

So our off-season begins, with Willie Cauley-Stein, Buddy Hield, Harrison Barnes and Andrew Bogut now on the team.

And we've got money to spend.

So you see... there is positive to be had, and we could essentially guarantee landing Bogut and Barnes this off-season along with it.

I don't think anyone hates either of those prospects.

I wish I shared your optimism.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject:

So if KD does a 1+1 deal and stays in OKC for one more year, do and should the Lakers basically punt the entire cap space this summer for the slim chance of signing both KD and WB in 2017? Even if we don't get a top 3 pick? (Which means we would have an non encumbered pick in 2017).
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
So if KD does a 1+1 deal and stays in OKC for one more year, do and should the Lakers basically punt the entire cap space this summer for the slim chance of signing both KD and WB in 2017? Even if we don't get a top 3 pick? (Which means we would have an non encumbered pick in 2017).

Can't sign Durant in 2016, so try to sign him again in 2017!

It'd be different, obviously, because we could then pair him with a player that he's never played with before.

Sounds like a plan.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject:

FO and there's thinking KD is coming to the Lakers are in for yet another frustrating free agency...

Write it
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 13 of 21
Jump to: