MacMullan: "Larry Bird will die young. Just ask him."

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: MacMullan: "Larry Bird will die young. Just ask him."

A great piece that starts to explore the long-term effects on the health of large athletes following the early passing of Moses Malone:

"You don't see many 7-footers walking around at the age of 75"
4stargeneralbulldog
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject:

wow, this is a great read, I didn't know so many nba power forwards and centers were facing health issues.

And at first I thought you were just posting this to gloat that Bird would die soon, because he's a Celtic.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject:

4stargeneralbulldog wrote:
wow, this is a great read, I didn't know so many nba power forwards and centers were facing health issues.

Well, it's really anyone tall; whether or not they played basketball is irrelevant. The association between height and longevity has been known for decades.

Basically, if you want to give to 100, you'd better be 5'5" or shorter -- 5'0" is ideal.

This is true of every animal -- from dogs to elephants to rats and bats: the bigger you are, the shorter you live on average.

That said, there are studies that show the opposite, so people argue about this. George Mikan lived to age 80, Dolph Schayes is around at 88, Bob Pettit at 83, Bill Russell at 81, among other tall guys. So it's not like being tall is some automatic death sentence.
4stargeneralbulldog
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:

Well, it's really anyone tall; whether or not they played basketball is irrelevant. The association between height and longevity has been known for decades.

Basically, if you want to give to 100, you'd better be 5'5" or shorter -- 5'0" is ideal.

This is true of every animal -- from dogs to elephants to rats and bats: the bigger you are, the shorter you live on average.

That said, there are studies that show the opposite, so people argue about this. George Mikan lived to age 80, Dolph Schayes is around at 88, Bob Pettit at 83, Bill Russell at 81, among other tall guys. So it's not like being tall is some automatic death sentence.

This is interesting to say the least. I think Asians (East and Southeast) have the longest life spans of all humans because they tend to be smaller and shorter on average than other groups of humans. Also diet plays a role too. I remember reading years back that they also consume more vegetables and a lot less red meat than other groups.

The big guys that you mentioned that lived so long, also didn't play in the 80s. If I remembered, the NBA in the 70s-80s had a drug problem. So I don't know if this also plays a role in the early demise of these big guys that play during the 70s-80s.

Nontheless, this is so interesting.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:

This is interesting to say the least. I think Asians (East and Southeast) have the longest life spans of all humans because they tend to be smaller and shorter on average than other groups of humans. Also diet plays a role too. I remember reading years back that they also consume more vegetables and a lot less red meat than other groups.

The big guys that you mentioned that lived so long, also didn't play in the 80s. If I remembered, the NBA in the 70s-80s had a drug problem. So I don't know if this also plays a role in the early demise of these big guys that play during the 70s-80s.

Nontheless, this is so interesting.

Well, drug use can reduce longevity, but that isn't really related to the height issue. A 5-foot-tall person who does lot of drugs will, on average, not live as long as a 5-foot-tall person who doesn't.

My guess is the height studies factor in thing like diet, or at least they should.

Our perceptions also get skewed because we are struck by the 60-year-old guys like Malone who die early, but don't think about the 60-year-old plus former players who are still going strong.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject:

Wilt too. Was in great shape throughout retirement but died of heart failure at 63.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:13 pm    Post subject:

Among the top 10 countries in life expectancy, only Japan and Singapore are up there. The remainder are European (or essentially European, e.g. Australia). Average Japanese life expectancy is 84. Spain is 83. Australia is 83. They're

In Japan, the most centenarians are in Okinawa. They eat lots of pork. But they also do lots of fish and veggies.

In any event, this is all moot for most of us. We are making pretty rapid progress on life extension now. I suspect within the next two decades we'll definitely be able to both reverse the effects of aging (just last week this was demonstrated in mice by inducing apoptosis in senescing cells) and extend ultimate life span (that 120 limit is pretty solid at the moment).
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Wilt too. Was in great shape throughout retirement but died of heart failure at 63.

20,000 women will do that to you.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:

Among the top 10 countries in life expectancy, only Japan and Singapore are up there. The remainder are European (or essentially European, e.g. Australia). Average Japanese life expectancy is 84. Spain is 83. Australia is 83. They're

In Japan, the most centenarians are in Okinawa. They eat lots of pork. But they also do lots of fish and veggies.

In any event, this is all moot for most of us. We are making pretty rapid progress on life extension now. I suspect within the next two decades we'll definitely be able to both reverse the effects of aging (just last week this was demonstrated in mice by inducing apoptosis in senescing cells) and extend ultimate life span (that 120 limit is pretty solid at the moment).

can you explain that 120 yr limit por favor?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:49 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
RG73 wrote:

Oldest documented human ever was a Frenchwoman Jeanne Calment who lived to be 122. Handful of other (female) people have lived to be 119 or 118, etc. nothing longer than 122. So 120 years is generally accepted as maximum lifespan for humans unless science comes up with something major to extend it. There has also been some hypothetical modeling based on metabolic rates, etc. which predict ~125 yrs as max lifespan for humans.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject:

Hammett wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

It's really puzzling to me how he never contracted some sort of STD during those 20,000 encounters.

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Hammett wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

It's really puzzling to me how he never contracted some sort of STD during those 20,000 encounters.

Not all STDs are fatal and medical records aren't available to the public so who knows if he caught anything.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:40 pm    Post subject:

I'm only 5-7 and I used to think being kinda tall (like 6-feet or a little taller than that) and athletic made you stronger and less susceptible to serious illness. Athletes, even athletes who just play intramural sports for fun, seem to need less sleep and have more natural energy, hardiness and a faster metabolism. I guess this article is saying once they get old they may pay the price, while us short people (hopefully) will have an easier time resisting serious medical conditions.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject:

Yep, that is a great read. Kobe started his career as a slim teenager, transformed himself into a more muscular version around his mid-to-late 20's, lost it again as his career mileage began to build up. It's clear that the less we tax our bodies with weight, and the less weight (height included) the greater a longer life span.

The wear and tear on the organs, the body, and all that, is clear.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject:

SweetP wrote:
22 wrote:
RG73 wrote:

Oldest documented human ever was a Frenchwoman Jeanne Calment who lived to be 122. Handful of other (female) people have lived to be 119 or 118, etc. nothing longer than 122. So 120 years is generally accepted as maximum lifespan for humans unless science comes up with something major to extend it. There has also been some hypothetical modeling based on metabolic rates, etc. which predict ~125 yrs as max lifespan for humans.

Thanks SweetP!!
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject:

I don't like Jackie Macmullan
magic2worthyslamdunk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject:

Animal products significantly increase disease rates. John Salley has been an advocate for Veganism. http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/62516/john-salley-on-veganism-in-the-nba
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: