Silver says changes coming to Hack-a-Shaq issue
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
People keep saying how it's not good entertainment, but do they change channels? Nope. People will continue to watch to either pull for the guy or revel in his failure.

they have data for this. i don't have access to it, but i do believe this happens. i also think there is far less attention or channell watching until the final minutes compared to decades before. if there's anyone here with access, i'd love to get the data.
MIZ83
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
MIZ83 wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
Finally. It makes the games god awful to watch, and it is getting worse and worse. Just give teams the right to waive their right to fts if they want and opt to maintain possession instead. Problem solved.

But that would mean that teams couldn't foul to stop the clock, hope for a miss or make a 3 versus 2 made FT's at the end of games; so it would eliminate some exciting finishes.

Easy fix: just make fts mandatory again the last two minutes of the game when it becomes fts and the ball for deliberate hacks. Fts are by far the most boring part of the game, and they can lengthen the game considerably. I rarely watch games live anymore so I can fast forward through commercials and fts.

Ha! I have to admit that I do the same thing. I fast forward through FT's, and usually, even if you overshoot a little, you only miss them bringing the ball up afterward.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:18 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
Telleris wrote:
This rule change was inevitable with the new tv deal because the people who stand to lose the most from keeping it are the tv broadcasters being turned off because it's awful to watch.

It's doesn't happen often enough IMO to make a rule change. Really this is being driven by announcers that hate it and gripe about it ad nauseum during their broadcast. Yeah we know this is taking an extra twenty minutes out of your precious day, too (bleep) bad.

For local broadcasts, probably not, people still watching their teams aren't likely to turn off over it, but national broadcasts involving teams that most of the audience has no particular emotional involvement with?

Would you want to pay for advertising for the late 3rd quarter of Clippers v Detroit?

Last edited by Telleris on Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Nobody
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:46 pm    Post subject:

I never liked hack-a-shaq, but the rule shouldn't be implemented. These are grown men, who are being paid millions upon millions for playing a game. Don't like the spotlight because you suck at FTs? Learn to make them at a respectable clip.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:14 am    Post subject:

Just let teams decline freethrows (2+) for the ball out of bounds like football. All situations, not just intentional fouls.

Should speed up the end of games considerably.
Blargg
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject:

The "fans don't change the channel" argument doesn't work even if it's true. Let's say you eliminate hacking - if fans didn't change the channel during hacking, they certainly won't change the channel without it, either. It's not a reason against making a rule change.

What it comes down to is hacking does not affect just 3 players. It affects everyone who watches the game. It makes the game worse.

Hacking simply isn't basketball. Ball gets inbounded to the PG and some scrub off the bench runs up and hugs the C. That's not basketball.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject:

Nobody wrote:
I never liked hack-a-shaq, but the rule shouldn't be implemented. These are grown men, who are being paid millions upon millions for playing a game. Don't like the spotlight because you suck at FTs? Learn to make them at a respectable clip.

BE A MANNNN (Dan Lebetard voice)
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject:

Nobody wrote:

So if a guy can't shoot the 3 ball, if he is fouled the other team should be able to ask that he shoot a 3 instead of FTs. Can't hit the 3 ball? Learn to make them at a respectable clip. Singling out one part of the game is just stupid.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
Just let teams decline freethrows (2+) for the ball out of bounds like football. All situations, not just intentional fouls.

Should speed up the end of games considerably.

I like this. That's putting more strategy into the game.

If there is a fix, that should be it. Just don't allow it in that last two minutes of the game since teams still need to be able to send a player to the line to extend the game or prevent a game tying 3. Or only allow the decline option on off-the-ball intentional fouls.
Nobody
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:13 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Nobody wrote:

So if a guy can't shoot the 3 ball, if he is fouled the other team should be able to ask that he shoot a 3 instead of FTs. Can't hit the 3 ball? Learn to make them at a respectable clip. Singling out one part of the game is just stupid.

I fail to see a relevant connection to what I wrote.

Shooting FTs when you're fouled (intentionally or not) is the natural course of the game. What you suggested isn't.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:59 am    Post subject:

I keep reading/hearing how awful this is to watch, but then I'll watch someone like DeAndre Jordan shoot them in a road game and the fans will seem to enjoy watching him struggle at the line. However I will agree that it can be awful to watch if you're a Clippers fan.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:10 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
22 wrote:
How is it any different from intentionally fouling the other team when there is little time on the clock and you want to "extend the game"?

That's not looked down upon, but under the assumptions you're making LC, that's "breaking the rules of the game" in the same manner as hack-a-shaq

Agreed -- I don't think it's any different. It's just another case of breaking the rules to gain a strategic advantage, because the risk/reward isn't set right. Again, back to my hypothetical question, what's the difference between that and punching a defender to get him out of the way, other than the risk/reward being different?

If this is an example of breaking the rules to gain a strategic advantage because the risk/reward isn't set right, then isn't intentionally fouling someone to prevent a dunk or a layup pretty much the same thing? On the other hand, the league did add the clear path foul penalty because defenders were constantly fouling on purpose in those situations.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject:

Kobe's views on the matter:
Quote:
INDIANAPOLIS -- Responding to recent comments from NBA commissioner Adam Silver about a potential rule change to the “hack-a-player” strategy, Kobe Bryant said Monday that outlawing that tactic would “set a horrible example for kids.”

Bryant, a 37-year-old star for the Los Angeles Lakers, made his comment in response to a reporter’s question after the Lakers’ 89-87 loss to the Indiana Pacers at Bankers Life Fieldhouse.

“You can’t protect guys because they can’t shoot free throws,” Bryant said. “You’re getting paid a lot of money to make a damn free throw, dude. I think it sets a bad precedent. I wouldn’t change it.”
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Quote:
INDIANAPOLIS -- Responding to recent comments from NBA commissioner Adam Silver about a potential rule change to the “hack-a-player” strategy, Kobe Bryant said Monday that outlawing that tactic would “set a horrible example for kids.”

Bryant, a 37-year-old star for the Los Angeles Lakers, made his comment in response to a reporter’s question after the Lakers’ 89-87 loss to the Indiana Pacers at Bankers Life Fieldhouse.

“You can’t protect guys because they can’t shoot free throws,” Bryant said. “You’re getting paid a lot of money to make a damn free throw, dude. I think it sets a bad precedent. I wouldn’t change it.”

Shaq: "Ouch"
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject:

I have a change for you

MAKE A DAMN FREE THROW

you shouldn't be allowed to make millions if you cant make a free throw
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject:

How about eliminating the flop? That (bleep) makes me want to puke
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject:

Nobody wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Nobody wrote:

I fail to see a relevant connection to what I wrote.

Shooting FTs when you're fouled (intentionally or not) is the natural course of the game. What you suggested isn't.

What you fail to see is that it is wrong to reward a team for breaking the rules. Making or missing FTs aren't important, creating a positive reason for breaking the rules is what is important. Simple fix, hack-a-anyone, 2 FTs and they get the ball out of bounds. That rule is already on the books.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
22 wrote:
How is it any different from intentionally fouling the other team when there is little time on the clock and you want to "extend the game"?

That's not looked down upon, but under the assumptions you're making LC, that's "breaking the rules of the game" in the same manner as hack-a-shaq

Agreed -- I don't think it's any different. It's just another case of breaking the rules to gain a strategic advantage, because the risk/reward isn't set right. Again, back to my hypothetical question, what's the difference between that and punching a defender to get him out of the way, other than the risk/reward being different?

If this is an example of breaking the rules to gain a strategic advantage because the risk/reward isn't set right, then isn't intentionally fouling someone to prevent a dunk or a layup pretty much the same thing? On the other hand, the league did add the clear path foul penalty because defenders were constantly fouling on purpose in those situations.

It is pretty much the same thing.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Quote:

So teaching them that they can gain an advantage by breaking the rules is a good example for kids?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:02 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
22 wrote:
Quote:

So teaching them that they can gain an advantage by breaking the rules is a good example for kids?

Fouling someone, to me, is not breaking the rules. You are allowed to foul someone. There is an appropriate penalty for it. If you foul 6 times you're out of a game.

Breaking the rules is taking PEDs, fighting, shaving points, etc.

I'm with the mamba on this one.

If I see dudes shorting granny style and still hitting 50% then I will have pity lol
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject:

I agree with ol mamba.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:45 am    Post subject:

Kobe is right.

Want to make a free throw change?

Make all free throws 1 and 1 unless you're out of fouls.

That means you need to make one in order to get the other unless the team is out of fouls.

But you don't reward people being bad free throw shooters, all that freaking does is give them LESS to have to work on. The game is becoming way to freaking simple as it is with the all but disappearance of a post game, now they wanna reward bad free throw shooters? No, that's bull. Let's just make basketball the most skill-less game outside of highlights why don't you.

With the AAU diminishing fundamentals and no post game apparently 'needed' now you don't even need to shoot free throws? yeah sets a dangerous precedent.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject:

Even if they change the rules to make it easier for players like DeAndre Jordan and Dwight Howard those guys are still going to shoot a lot of free throws.

It doesn't bother me when Dwight gets fouled on a normal play and shoots two free throws so I don't understand why watching him shoot more free throws is so horrible to watch. The only thing I don't like about the intentional fouling is it makes the game go on longer than it should.
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject:

Could designate areas on the court where intentional fouling is disallowed. If Dwight wants to stay in that area, fine. But their team plays 4 on 5. That's sort of rewarding the team that wants to use the fouling strategy, quite frankly.
png
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:17 am    Post subject:

How easy do these over-paid multi-million non-fundamental non-free-throw-shooting one-sided players need it, in today's NBA? What's next? 4-point shots and no defense? smh ----- Designated Zones...... If a Player does not want to be fouled, then don't cross the half-court line. If the shot-clock says 16 seconds or less, than that same player can't touch the ball or be a part of the Offense, on that possession. If a ball is batted into the back-court etc, than that Player can't help retrieve the ball, etc.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: