Why are the Lakers trying to play themselves out of a Top Three Pick?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject:

west-magic-kobe wrote:
everyone calm down. it's one thing for the Lakers to stink for a few seasons with a superstar #24 but for the Lakers to stink and have no
superstars when #24 retires is not gonna happen. Adam silver is gonna make sure we get a possible lock star in simmons come draft day.
nba = wwe

? We still wouldn't have a superstar.
Hollywood $winger
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
west-magic-kobe wrote:
everyone calm down. it's one thing for the Lakers to stink for a few seasons with a superstar #24 but for the Lakers to stink and have no
superstars when #24 retires is not gonna happen. Adam silver is gonna make sure we get a possible lock star in simmons come draft day.
nba = wwe

? We still wouldn't have a superstar.

my point is simmons is a potential superstar. after #24 leaves we are gonna
need something to make us compelling to watch and for the league and fans to latch on to.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject:

Along with our other two potential superstars? Maybe we could trade our pick and another young player for a real star? That should make Laker fans happy to watch.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject:

foshowtime wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
gorila wrote:
I'll be legit depressed if we don't get either of the top 2 picks, if we don't get the top two picks there's nothing to be hopeful as far as the future is concerned.

We'll have our own pick in 2017 (stronger draft).

We also have a high 2nd round pick and 60m+ in cap space.

It's not the end of the world.

exactly. it feels good to win

It feels good to do drugs

i wouldnt know. they are for losers and u know they feel good. so connect the ... lines
Hollywood $winger
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Along with our other two potential superstars? Maybe we could trade our pick and another young player for a real star? That should make Laker fans happy to watch.

i say we keep all our young players and don't trade for any retread stars.
i want to land the #1 or #2 pick and build with that guy and the young promising players we have now. rather grow with young exciting talent
then take shortcut of trying to load up with a star that won't put this young
team over the top anyway. we need a 2nd tier young star free agent like a harrison barnes. no free agent over 28.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject:

People talking like a top 3 pick is guaranteed even with the worst record.
Shaolin's Finest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject:

I don't expect we will end up with the worst record. I think realistically we'll end up with the second or third worst record, which will give us a 56 and 47 percent chance at landing in the top 3, respectively. Either way, a coin flip pretty much determines our chances. I am not getting attached to our first round pick so I won't be disappointed. I feel bad for everyone active in that Ben Simmons thread
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject:

We have one winnable game the rest of this month and that's Milwaukee, who aren't dreadful. Unless you expect us to lose out, we're firmly secured as the second worst team in the NBA. It's very possible we'll end this month at 11-49. Calm down, fellas.
Hollywood $winger
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject:

Shaolin's Finest wrote:
I don't expect we will end up with the worst record. I think realistically we'll end up with the second or third worst record, which will give us a 56 and 47 percent chance at landing in the top 3, respectively. Either way, a coin flip pretty much determines our chances. I am not getting attached to our first round pick so I won't be disappointed. I feel bad for everyone active in that Ben Simmons thread

we are winning lottery. it means hundreds of millions for league in years to come if we get simmons & he is next lebron level talent.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject:

Simmons is nothing like Lebron, let's not put those kind of expectations on him.
Hollywood $winger
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Simmons is nothing like Lebron, let's not put those kind of expectations on him.

i'm not saying he is but that is the tag being put on him by media. nevertheless he is projected to be a star player
lakersareprettygood
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:04 pm    Post subject:

If the Lakers aren't getting 1st or 2nd pick, this is the year to give up forth pick down. Not a real deep draft.
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject:

The OP asks a reasonable question.

I think there's two answers.

First, the grim idea that the Laker FO's is unable to focus on any one goal long enough to deliver it. The first half of the season reflected bottom three team levels of play. OK, the team is fully tanking.

Second, why not chalk up a 4-10 month in February ? Can it really hurt ? Hoo-wah !

The good part ? Either answer means there's still plenty of time to rack up another 19 or so losses and get in prime position for the lottery.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:33 am    Post subject:

Lakers are skirting that line between charging the highest ticket prices (obvious) and tanking (keeping Scott...no legit basketball reason for this).

The cynical point is that the Lakers know that fans will still keeping coming to games and paying these ridiculous amounts of money for the product, thanks to the brand equity.

We've certainly had to use some of that reserve brand equity, but the team has to start showing improvement very soon.
ElginWorthy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject:

Wilkes52 wrote:

First, the grim idea that the Laker FO's is unable to focus on any one goal long enough to deliver it. The first half of the season reflected bottom three team levels of play. OK, the team is fully tanking.

Second, why not chalk up a 4-10 month in February ? Can it really hurt ? Hoo-wah !

The good part ? Either answer means there's still plenty of time to rack up another 19 or so losses and get in prime position for the lottery.

Good points.

I'm hoping, from here on out, the Lakers never go through this again. That they never try to extend a championship run for one player with rent-a-player deals, which mortgage their future.

I'm hoping they see things clearly, as they are, admit that it's time to rebuild and are okay with that. As in, it's okay to realize you can't compete for the championship every season, that's it's actually impossible -- even for the Lakers.

Winning the championship just comes with all sorts of effects that make it harder next time. The latest draft spots; gotta pay players more, so you have to choose between them; players can lose drive and focus. And other teams get advantages, which help them rise, etc.

The NBA is a league of rising and falling and rising again, hopefully. The Lakers sometimes seem to believe they can alter the laws of gravity, but it's actually delusional and all too often ruins their future chances.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject:

ElginWorthy wrote:
Wilkes52 wrote:

Good points.

I'm hoping, from here on out, the Lakers never go through this again. That they never try to extend a championship run for one player with rent-a-player deals, which mortgage their future.

I'm hoping they see things clearly, as they are, admit that it's time to rebuild and are okay with that. As in, it's okay to realize you can't compete for the championship every season, that's it's actually impossible -- even for the Lakers.

Winning the championship just comes with all sorts of effects that make it harder next time. The latest draft spots; gotta pay players more, so you have to choose between them; players can lose drive and focus. And other teams get advantages, which help them rise, etc.

The NBA is a league of rising and falling and rising again, hopefully. The Lakers sometimes seem to believe they can alter the laws of gravity, but it's actually delusional and all too often ruins their future chances.

Well, we got KAJ (best big at the time). Then Magic through a coin flip. Somehow got Worthy. Then totally screwed Charlotte into getting Kobe, and signed Shaq in a different CBA. We got Pau for a sack of peanuts and so on.

There is certainly some luck involved here. We need something of that magnitude to fall in our laps again.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
No free agent is gonna come here unless we win some more games

Stop worrying about free agents. No one worth paying a max deal is coming here now. Start worrying instead about building a great roster stacked with lottery picks. Also find a coach to teach them how to win.

If the team improves next year, we may still have a serious shot down the road at Westbrook.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject:

ok its time to trade Hibbert and Lue and shut down anyone who is trying to win games.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject:

west-magic-kobe wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

i'm not saying he is but that is the tag being put on him by media. nevertheless he is projected to be a star player

Every top pick last year was projected to be a can't miss superstar.

Towns was awesome.
Okafor was one the best offensive bigs in years.
Russell was a phenom/can't miss point guard with awesome passing skills and a great shot.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject:

How about why are we keeping around a (bleep) loser around if not for the damn pick. I'm sick watching other coaches get fired for less even ones like Brown and MDA got less of a chance.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: