Magic Johnson Throwing Shots or Legitimately Wishful Thinking?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject:

It's nice and all but Peyton was basically a role player for them. You could've plugged any game manager type QB for Peyton and that defense still would've won them the Super Bowl. We were laughing at those ducks he was tossing in the air.

It would be like if the Lakers had the defense of the Warriors, and Kobe was out there just making the play calls, making the extra pass, just not shooting the team in the foot. We don't have that defense, and we definitely don't have that Kobe.
Palin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Skip Bayless ‏@RealSkipBayless
Tomorrow: Magic Johnson joins Stephen A and me from 11-12E. Could be even better than Deion was on Friday.

Here comes more Jim Buss bashing
tony smith
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject:

Two years. Fifty Million.
Deathstroke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject:

Palin wrote:
Quote:
Tomorrow: Magic Johnson joins Stephen A and me from 11-12E. Could be even better than Deion was on Friday.

And it's completely warranted with the way the team has continuously reached new levels of suckage under Jim
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Magic Johnson Throwing Shots or Legitimately Wishful Thinking?

Outspoken wrote:
Either way, I feel the same.

Quote:
Earvin Magic Johnson ✔ @MagicJohnson
The Denver Broncos team is sending Peyton Manning out as a champion and I wish the Lakers could've done the same for Kobe Bryant!

Well said Magic.

Like you guy almost did with Kareem.

At least you got to the Finals.

Lakers are going to end up in the lottery again.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject:

Deathstroke wrote:
Palin wrote:
Quote:

And it's completely warranted with the way the team has continuously reached new levels of suckage under Jim

I agree. It is warranted.

Someone has to take the blame. Look at Nets, Billy King was fired. Look at the 76ers, Colangelo was brought in. Look at the Suns, coaches were fired. Look at the Sac King, Petrie was replaced. Look at the Knicks, Fisher gone.

It happens. Media is going to slam the FO when the teams suck.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject:

well, if Kobe had the same mentality as Peyton Manning which is accepting that he needs help and can no longer doing it alone, then yes, things would be different. we didn't see Peyton made fuse about shifting the team identity from a high scoring offense to dominant defense. we didn't hear Peyton complained about spending more time behind the center instead of his prefer shutgun or pistol positions. we didn't see him b*tching about sitting behind Brock Oswhieller. i don't think Kobe can do any of that, his personality won't let him.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
well, if Kobe had the same mentality as Peyton Manning which is accepting that he needs help and can no longer doing it alone, then yes, things would be different. we didn't see Peyton made fuse about shifting the team identity from a high scoring offense to dominant defense. we didn't hear Peyton complained about spending more time behind the center instead of his prefer shutgun or pistol positions. we didn't see him b*tching about sitting behind Brock Oswhieller. i don't think Kobe can do any of that, his personality won't let him.

So now it is Kobe's fault??

No. It goes back to the FO. The FO gave him the contract. The FO made an affirmative decision to do what it did and has to pay the consequences.

Kobe is presently paying the consequences with his greediness. The team sucks. But he is making more money.

The FO needs to take some responsibilities.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:
Palin wrote:
Quote:

Someone has to take the blame. Look at Nets, Billy King was fired. Look at the 76ers, Colangelo was brought in. Look at the Suns, coaches were fired. Look at the Sac King, Petrie was replaced. Look at the Knicks, Fisher gone.

OK, in two of your scenarios, the coach getting fired was adequate. Why not fire Scott and leave it at that?
DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject:

Nnamdi21 wrote:
his homie sucks at coaching
His homie is still a better coach than Magic
Lakers2015
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject:

OCWA wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:
I think we all wish Kobe could've gone out winning a champion, but it wasn't in the cards.

It was possibly in the cards but Jim threw the hand away.

Jim tried to get Kobe another ring.

That's why he traded for Nash and Dwight.

It just didn't work out. It happens.
Dumhead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject:

Lakers2015 wrote:
OCWA wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:
I think we all wish Kobe could've gone out winning a champion, but it wasn't in the cards.

And he and Mitch did try the CP3 deal. The canned deal put the Lakers in a really bad place. The next attempt, with Nash and Dwight, was considered by most at the time (including most of us here) to be one that could lead to a contending team. I wouldn't say Jim threw the hand away. They tried. The plans failed. But no one threw the hand away.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
laker4life wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:
Palin wrote:
Quote:

OK, in two of your scenarios, the coach getting fired was adequate. Why not fire Scott and leave it at that?

Because that already happened with MDA. He apparently was the wrong coach because the FO did not renew his contract.

Although he is apparently was a better coach with this talent v. B. Scott, the FO blew it b/c they did not renew his contract.

Fire Scott, Fire Jeanie, Bring in Phil, Fire Kupchak, etc.

Personally, I do not care. I just want a competitive team.

We do not have that and someone will take the blame.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject:

Dumhead wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:
OCWA wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:

And he and Mitch did try the CP3 deal. The canned deal put the Lakers in a really bad place. The next attempt, with Nash and Dwight, was considered by most at the time (including most of us here) to be one that could lead to a contending team. I wouldn't say Jim threw the hand away. They tried. The plans failed. But no one threw the hand away.

The plan failed. As a result, someone needs to get fired.

I agree that he tried but it is just not working.

I think Derek Fisher tried. I think Jim Buss is trying too. But our record sucks.

Look at the Heat.

When Lebron left, they responded to the set back. They almost lost Bosh too. But the FO made moves. Bosh resigned. They got other role players and they are fine. Look at Whiteside. Great pick up.

Every organization experience some set back. It is how they respond and what happens thereafter. The Lakers response has not been as successful.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Really enjoyed a recent Bill Simmons Podcast that had Charles Barkley on it.

Per the usual, Simmons was trying to minimize Kobe's career accomplishments by focusing on how he's struggled shooting this year.
Simmons has repeatedly said, Duncan is a better all time player than Kobe. And gives the example of Duncan "fitting in" past his prime, as one of the reasons.

Charles Barkley shut that narrative down. Said Kobe's had just as good of a year as Duncan if not better.
Charles said, Duncan got the support of two prime allstars on his roster. One the Spurs got through the draft (Kawhi) and one through FA (Aldridge). Chuck then proceeded to ask, "Who is Kobe's Kawhi? Where is Kobe's Aldridge?". Duncan looks more serviceable as a player than Kobe now, strictly due to his supporting cast.

The same could be said about Payton Manning and the Denver Broncos defense.

So... should Charles be considered a reputable source of basketball insights or not? I never can tell round here.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:
Dumhead wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:
OCWA wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:

The plan failed. As a result, someone needs to get fired.

I agree that he tried but it is just not working.

I think Derek Fisher tried. I think Jim Buss is trying too. But our record sucks.

Look at the Heat.

When Lebron left, they responded to the set back. They almost lost Bosh too. But the FO made moves. Bosh resigned. They got other role players and they are fine. Look at Whiteside. Great pick up.

Every organization experience some set back. It is how they respond and what happens thereafter. The Lakers response has not been as successful.

The Heat are out two first rounders, unprotected. Their best players are aging. They don't have Bird rights on Whiteside. They are pretenders, not contenders. They overpaid Dragic, twice: on a trade and on a contract. And they have the same upcoming dilemma with Wade (not worth the big bucks) that the Lakers had with Kobe.

How are they in a better position? Especially if Bosh tore his Achilles the way Kobe did in 2013... you don't think that Heat org would be absolutely screwed?
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

So now it is Kobe's fault??

No. It goes back to the FO. The FO gave him the contract. The FO made an affirmative decision to do what it did and has to pay the consequences.

Kobe is presently paying the consequences with his greediness. The team sucks. But he is making more money.

The FO needs to take some responsibilities.

not his fault, but his personality did not help to push this front office to go out and get a option 1A player to replace kobe while he's still on the roster. they know kobe wouldn't welcome the fact he'd take a backseat to someone. come on guys, we've gone through this before.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
Would've been nice. Maybe if we had the best defense in the league, we could. Wait, we don't have Rudy Gobert, Draymond Green, Kawhi Leonard, and Avery Bradley?

Damn.

Avery Bradley
Kobe Bryant
Kawhi Leonard
Draymond Green
Rudy Gobert

Coach: Brad Stevens

That team would literally be the Denver Broncos of Basketball. Inconsistent as hell on offense but the defense would win us games single handedly in the playoffs and keep the other team from scoring anymore than 75 points a game.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:42 pm    Post subject:

his boy Scott's team won 2 games in a row and there's magic feeling safe to run his mouth again.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
The funny part is that the Broncos aren't even the team Peyton will be most associated with-- the Colts are.

Strangely as a Colts fan I'm going to disagree I mean to Colts fans he will be theirs. Broncos fans might claim him as their own and it would be just as valid.

However he's in that rarefied air where he's remembered regardless of the team he played for the only other athlete I can think of that reminds me of that is Wilt Chamberlain. I couldn't tell you what teams he played for but most remember him more than the jersey he wore.

And he too won championships with two different teams and was considered an otherwordly talent who should've won more championships.

Probably the only other comparable current player is LeBron.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: