Is Steph Curry on the same level as Kobe (in his prime)?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 71, 72, 73  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:59 am    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
your response to darth's post doesn't really make sense. Darth was showing, using an exaggerated example, of how much easier it is for a stronger, bigger guy like kobe to destroy a smaller guy. Which is very very true in basketball. The argument only really breaks down once you start getting into sizes that are so big, mobility starts being affected...like a muresan, yao type situation.
the point is that curry can't, won't, never will be able to do the things kobe can do because of size. it is NOT an attack on Curry. everything in your post above doesn't address any of this. your post has to do with hype...like if the hype was low on the warriors initially, why did it change later? or something like that. well, when a team is on a record setting pace, then the hype will turn to their favor. it doesn't prove curry is the best player in history.
maybe they are the perfectly assembled team...their record supports that idea. if they weren't before the season started, that doesn't mean curry turned them into a perfect team because he is so godly good. it just means people were wrong; the hype was incorrect; people made mistakes in their predictions (surprised?).

If anything, this post just validates what Curry is doing. You're saying size gives you an advantage, so, doesn't this make what Curry is doing all the more incredible? He isn't able to use his size to his advantage and has to score in spite of it, not with it as an advantage.

The problem I have with your size argument, is that you can make that argument no matter what Curry was putting up. Let's just say Curry was doing what he was doing but scoring 50 points per game on over 50% from downtown and the field, while still getting 6 rebounds and 10 assists per game. You could still make your same size argument.

Why does Curry have to do it the way Kobe is doing it? If he can put up 50/6/10 every night, playing the same way he is playing now, he'd still be small.

Because he prefers Kobe. So whatever Curry or anyone else does is automatically not as good.

Ok, but that's fine. Heck, I prefer Kobe too. For one, he was a Laker and two, I preferred the physicality and in-your-face-ness of how Kobe did it. But in the end, points are points.

It's funny because what Curry is doing, shouldn't happen. And SBR just reinforced that bringing up size. The smallest guy on the court every night, shouldn't be able to score points as efficiently, if not more efficienctly, than a hall of fame center. But he is. And that's why at worst, his play this season through 50 games, should be considered among (among, not the, among) the greatest 50-game stretches ever played.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
KBH wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
your response to darth's post doesn't really make sense. Darth was showing, using an exaggerated example, of how much easier it is for a stronger, bigger guy like kobe to destroy a smaller guy. Which is very very true in basketball. The argument only really breaks down once you start getting into sizes that are so big, mobility starts being affected...like a muresan, yao type situation.
the point is that curry can't, won't, never will be able to do the things kobe can do because of size. it is NOT an attack on Curry. everything in your post above doesn't address any of this. your post has to do with hype...like if the hype was low on the warriors initially, why did it change later? or something like that. well, when a team is on a record setting pace, then the hype will turn to their favor. it doesn't prove curry is the best player in history.
maybe they are the perfectly assembled team...their record supports that idea. if they weren't before the season started, that doesn't mean curry turned them into a perfect team because he is so godly good. it just means people were wrong; the hype was incorrect; people made mistakes in their predictions (surprised?).

If anything, this post just validates what Curry is doing. You're saying size gives you an advantage, so, doesn't this make what Curry is doing all the more incredible? He isn't able to use his size to his advantage and has to score in spite of it, not with it as an advantage.

The problem I have with your size argument, is that you can make that argument no matter what Curry was putting up. Let's just say Curry was doing what he was doing but scoring 50 points per game on over 50% from downtown and the field, while still getting 6 rebounds and 10 assists per game. You could still make your same size argument.

Why does Curry have to do it the way Kobe is doing it? If he can put up 50/6/10 every night, playing the same way he is playing now, he'd still be small.

Because he prefers Kobe. So whatever Curry or anyone else does is automatically not as good.

Ok, but that's fine. Heck, I prefer Kobe too. For one, he was a Laker and two, I preferred the physicality and in-your-face-ness of how Kobe did it. But in the end, points are points.

It's funny because what Curry is doing, shouldn't happen. And SBR just reinforced that bringing up size. The smallest guy on the court every night, shouldn't be able to score points as efficiently, if not more efficienctly, than a hall of fame center. But he is. And that's why at worst, his play this season through 50 games, should be considered among (among, not the, among) the greatest 50-game stretches ever played.

Agreed.
Johnny Cage
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject:

Curry is arguably the greatest offensive threat the NBA has ever seen. What he's doing this year is staggering. I know this is only his 2nd season doing it, but what he's doing is historical. His accuracy from deep is unprecedented considering how often he shoots it from there. He's on pace to destroy his own record of most made 3's in a season. He's going to win another MVP this year and likely another Title. He will then be in elite company. If he stays healthy, his destiny is the title of "Best PG ever."

So, to answer your question: Yes, he is on Kobe's level.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject:

Not that it means anything in the real world, but I found this interesting.

Steph Curry is so ridiculously good at shooting deep 3s, he's breaking NBA2K and the game developers can't figure out how to replicate his game without making it seem fake.

http://www.engadget.com/2016/02/24/nba-2k-steph-curry/
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject:

Johnny Cage wrote:
Curry is arguably the greatest offensive threat the NBA has ever seen. What he's doing this year is staggering. I know this is only his 2nd season doing it, but what he's doing is historical. His accuracy from deep is unprecedented considering how often he shoots it from there. He's on pace to destroy his own record of most made 3's in a season. He's going to win another MVP this year and likely another Title. He will then be in elite company. If he stays healthy, his destiny is the title of "Best PG ever."

I'm going to wait until he has a historical playoffs run before I go that far.

His 2015 postseason campaign was great, but not close to making him the greatest offensive threat the NBA has ever seen. At least, based off of the performances from Dellavedova (before getting hospitalized) and Conley, I think it's possible to slow him down in a way e.g. young Shaq couldn't be.

The kind of frenetic defense needed to slow Curry down isn't feasible in the regular season, and I think that's partly why he's been so dominant (of course he's also just an incredible player). In the playoffs, we'll see if his dominance translates at the same level.
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

Steph Curry is so ridiculously good at shooting deep 3s, he's breaking NBA2K and the game developers can't figure out how to replicate his game without making it seem fake.

Let's be realistic they struggle to get a lot of players right in that game. Year after year they turn guys like Gerald Green and JR Smith into gods.

Steph is more efficient but Kobe was easily the greater scorer, Curry plays in a high scoring offense and doesn't Crack 30ppg. He also doesn't seem to decimate the other teams offensively as often as Kobe was doing. Even in the finals Kyrie was playing just as well as Curry on one leg before his body finally gave out. That being said, if Curry can keep this up and keep winning he will be up there.

Last edited by kobeandgary on Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject:

Johnny Cage wrote:

That one would be very easy to argue against.
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Johnny Cage wrote:

No it wouldn't. If Curry maintains this level of play for a couple more years, people will legitimately start making comparisons to Jordan, let alone Magic. Curry is changing the way people think about basketball. He's taken more 3's than 2's this year. Think about that. He's leading the league in scoring, while at the same time being the most efficient scorer in the league (if not the HISTORY of the league).

Curry vs. Magic is a debate that is coming if Steph keeps this up.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Let's be realistic they struggle to get a lot of players right in that game. Year after year they turn guys like Gerald Green and JR Smith into gods.

Steph is more efficient but Kobe was easily the greater scorer, Curry plays in a high scoring offense and doesn't Crack 30ppg. He also doesn't seem to decimate the other teams offensively as often as Kobe was doing. Even in the finals Kyrie was playing just as well as Curry on one leg before his body finally gave out. That being said, if Curry can keep this up and keekeep winning he will be up there.

Right. Point of the article is that they are having the toughest time with Curry because they want it to be realistic, but they don't want people launching jumpers from halfcourt at 40%.

Don't worry man -- this was just for fun, it has no impact on yo man.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject:

Johnny Cage wrote:

I think it would make sense at this point, to re-frame the question. Curry hasn't completed his prime, so it's not really fair to say his prime is or isn't better than Kobe's. Kobe's was done long ago.

If you take Kobe's single best season, I think one could argue what Curry is doing right now is better. Scoring almost as many points, but winning games and doing it on WAY fewer attempts, at much greater efficiency, dishing the ball more, etc.

But Kobe's prime as a whole, is more impressive to me. Curry's is still on going. If Curry's prime looks like this for 4-5 years, I'll give him the edge on a prime comparison. But on a single season comparison, I think Curry's got it. He's doing what no one has done.
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject:

The Steph Curry pull-up 3 has surpassed Kareem's sky hook as the most lethal shot in the history of basketball.
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Steph is more efficient but Kobe was easily the greater scorer, Curry plays in a high scoring offense and doesn't Crack 30ppg. He also doesn't seem to decimate the other teams offensively as often as Kobe was doing. Even in the finals Kyrie was playing just as well as Curry on one leg before his body finally gave out. That being said, if Curry can keep this up and keekeep winning he will be up there.

Right. Point of the article is that they are having the toughest time with Curry because they want it to be realistic, but they don't want people launching jumpers from halfcourt at 40%.

Don't worry man -- this was just for fun, it has no impact on yo man.

Except the game already has the limitless range badge, it means deep shots go in at a higher percentage than without it. So they realistically already have it worked out, what they need to fix is his layup that goes ten feet above the rim and never misses lol.
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Johnny Cage wrote:

I think it would make sense at this point, to re-frame the question. Curry hasn't completed his prime, so it's not really fair to say his prime is or isn't better than Kobe's. Kobe's was done long ago.

If you take Kobe's single best season, I think one could argue what Curry is doing right now is better. Scoring almost as many points, but winning games and doing it on WAY fewer attempts, at much greater efficiency, dishing the ball more, etc.

But Kobe's prime as a whole, is more impressive to me. Curry's is still on going. If Curry's prime looks like this for 4-5 years, I'll give him the edge on a prime comparison. But on a single season comparison, I think Curry's got it. He's doing what no one has done.

I would say Kobe's best season was better than what Steph is doing, Kobe did it on both ends and if the game was close or a guy was going off Kobe would take him on, Steph doesn't take those burdens on. Steph is a point guard and has a shooter like Kay on his team and only manages six assists a game, which is kind of crazy to me.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject:

dao wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Johnny Cage wrote:

No it wouldn't. If Curry maintains this level of play for a couple more years, people will legitimately start making comparisons to Jordan, let alone Magic. Curry is changing the way people think about basketball. He's taken more 3's than 2's this year. Think about that. He's leading the league in scoring, while at the same time being the most efficient scorer in the league (if not the HISTORY of the league).

I saw a guy average 50 ppg over a season. So yes it would.
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
dao wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Johnny Cage wrote:

Well at least Curry has already pulled down half as many rings as that guy. On another note did anybody else see Stephen Jackson say his Warriors would beat todays Warriors?
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Johnny Cage wrote:

I would say Kobe's best season was better than what Steph is doing, Kobe did it on both ends and if the game was close or a guy was going off Kobe would take him on, Steph doesn't take those burdens on. Steph is a point guard and has a shooter like Kay on his team and only manages six assists a game, which is kind of crazy to me.

Deluded.
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
dao wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Johnny Cage wrote:

Well at least Curry has already pulled down half as many rings as that guy. On another note did anybody else see Stephen Jackson say his Warriors would beat todays Warriors?

Might be. Some teams in the west will figure gws out in the playoffs.
Did anyone notice spurs losing by 30 points?
Lol. Popo is a master of manipulation. He wouldnt show the trump cards in regular season.
If everybody is healthy, Spurs will make the loudest noice.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject:

dao wrote:
The Steph Curry pull-up 3 has surpassed Kareem's sky hook as the most lethal shot in the history of basketball.
OK settle down.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Johnny Cage wrote:

On the bolded .... REALLY? Shocker! Haha.

Like I said -- we can quibble back and forth about sides of balls and such -- but at the end of the day, what Steph is doing hasn't been done. His efficiency this season is pacing for the best to ever occur in the history of mankind in this league.

That pretty much makes everything else secondary or at least, everything else not egregious enough to downplay the ridiculousness of his numbers.

It's sort of like Kobe's 81. Remember when people nitpicked his lack of assists? Sure, you never want to take 23 shots for every assist you make as the offense initiating guard (that's actually pretty sad if that happened every game), but that's sort of moot when you're talking about an 81 point game.

When you're talking about the smallest player on the basketball court, playing at an efficiency greater than anyone who has played the game, including all of the HOF players that play under the basket, that he is playing above average defense instead of elite shutdown in an iso situation is as irrelevant as the 3 sloppy turnovers Kobe had in his 81 point game.

And I hope you'd agree the 2 assists and 3 turnovers are completely irrelevant when you're talking about a feat like 81 points.
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject:

Seth Curry is definitely on the same level as Kobe today.
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
dao wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Johnny Cage wrote:

The discussion was best PG ever. I don't know what Wilt has to do with that. However, I agree that Wilt is probably GOAT. 7'1, crazy vert and speed, maybe the strongest player ever, probably best rebounder ever, could play 48 mpg.
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
dao wrote:
OK settle down.
A pull up 3 that goes in 44% of the time translates to a 2pt shot going in 66% of the time. The sky hook was great but nowhere near 66% efficiency. Steph's 3 is literally the most lethal shot in the history of the game.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject:

Kobe was a more well rounded player. More versatile on offense and definitely a better defender in his prime. However, the one thing that Curry does better than Kobe - his 3pt shooting - he does so much better than not just Kobe, but arguably anyone else in NBA history, that it puts him on another level. You can't defend against Curry's 3pt range or accuracy and, because you can't, it creates an offense in terms of spacing and opportunities for other players (especially in combination with Klay) that no other team can match.

So, is Steph Curry now on the same level as Kobe in his prime? At the least, I think there is an MVP trophy out there that says yes. Does that mean Curry will go down in history within the same or better category as Kobe? No way to know at this point. That takes years of dominance and more than just one ring.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject:

Well the seasons still going but if Steph keeps playing this way, it's hard to argue that this isn't one of the greatest offensive outputs by a player ever

It's hard to compare Kobe prime and Steph prime because they play so differently, but what Kobe has accomplished individually and what Steph is accomplishing is mind blowing and Steph is doing it on a championship team where scoring is coming from all folks. I don't think we ever saw prime Kobe on a championship team. When he was putting up video game numbers as I recall our team was mediocre even though he was individually phenomenal
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject:

In prime if they were guarding each other I think Kobe destroys him and don't think steph goes off against him. Prime Kobe on defense shut guys down and was pure pit bull.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 71, 72, 73  Next
Page 27 of 73
Jump to: