SAS on Sirius: Hearing that Jeanie Buss will clean house - Jim & Mitch will be out, Phil likely to come to LA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 43, 44, 45  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tnell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:52 pm    Post subject:

15 wrote:
MJST wrote:
Well, Jeanie was willing to give Dwight anything he wanted. She has said as such. Mitch and Jim, not so much.

Maybe Jeanie wanted Byron so much because he too is stuck in the old ways. Jeanie still thinks that free agents give a darn that the team is in Los Angeles or that they're "Lakers" while Mitch, Jim, Jesse and Ryan believe in 'basketball' and 'analytics', and relevant things like that. They blew their first meeting with Aldridge because Jeanie dominated the discussion with Los Angeles, had all the money people come in, the producers, Tobey Macguire talking about how great Los Angeles is...

While Jim, Mitch and Kobe talked basketball with Aldridge, (which Aldridge later called Kobe the best part of the first meeting). But the majority of the time was taken up by the Time Warner Execs and Jeanie. So that meeting bombed,

Aldridge really REALLY wanted to be a Laker so he gave them a second chance, this time, Jim and Mitch did it, and Jeanie was not invited(which is telling) and Aldridge said that meeting was the best as it was focused on basketball which is what Aldridge wanted in the first place. But the Spurs got it right on the first meeting and convinced him and had him convinced.

So as of right now it seems like the one out of touch with what today's generation is all about and stuck in the old ways is Jeanie, she even went to bat for Byron because it's what her father would have wanted according to her and he remains here because of her influence.

After she raised such a stink about D'antoni she will get what she wants till this off-season.

But it sounds from everything that's happened and from the players themselves that Jeanie may be the one out of touch instead of Mitch and Jim and then we look at the strength of their drafts which Jesse and Ryan are in charge of and we see where they are getting it right, then we look at the front office approach to free agents and we see where they are getting it wrong.

First of all, LA didn't grant the lakers a second meeting bc he wanted to be a laker really bad. He did it to save face bc the word got out that the first one went so horribly wrong. He felt bad so he granted lakers a pity meeting, knowing all along he would sign elsewhere

Why would he have to "save face"?
FreakofNature
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject:

Bye bye to Mitch and BS

Hello to PJAX

Hello to Ollie

Hello to Simmons or Ingram (hopefully)

Hello to Durant and Whiteside.....

Dream mode off!!!
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject:

If Mitch and Jim are going to stay, they need to come up with a better plan than this for next season. Right now, I am not seeing it.

Maybe hanging a Durant banner on Staples will bring him here? Good luck with that.

We need a modern front office. Mitch's time has passed and Jimbo hasn't hit on dick since Bynum.
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:59 pm    Post subject:

You really think drafting Randle, Clarkson, Russell, Nance and Brown is a bad haul over the past 2 years? Remember that we didn't have our first round pick the previous season.

To me, that's damn good.

You can also have the best intentions in the world... but when you have a player on his last leg with a 30 mil cap hold, there is nothing you can offer no matter how modern you are. Guys who are UFA want to join a contender. The only way to succeed in today's CBA is to bite the bullet and draft well for a couple of years. You need to build up a product you can sell to superstars.
DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:02 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
AshesToAshes wrote:
letting Mitch go would be a big mistake.

Disagree.

Mitch has to answer for the team being 105 games under .500 since the start of the 2013-14 season.

That is beyond bad and unacceptable.

Sorry, time to move on and find someone who can figure out the current CBA and how to compete within the modern NBA which Mitch has proven conclusively he is unable to do.
Actually Mitch and Jim understood the current CBA so well that they pulled off a trade that landed them CP3 and save a ton of money, it was such a good move that a bunch of owners cried to the commissioner to have it overturned.
toffee
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:02 pm    Post subject:

Calm down guys, let's wait and see what will happen during the summer, we are in great position cap wise and things can turn around very quickly, I still have faith in our FO, especially in Mitch.
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:03 pm    Post subject:

GS wasn't built in a day... it took 30 years lol. SA is the only team that has sustained greatness for over a decade. Miami was crap after Shaq left. Cleveland was awful without Lebron. Houston was nothing until Harden was traded for. The Clippers... nuf said.

It takes an event where you're able to either draft, sign or trade for a superstar to get you going. We haven't had that event yet. But we also haven't had the opportunity. Durant is the first true opportunity at a game-changer. Then you have Westbrook the following year. I don't think we want to become the Atlanta Hawks and built a nice team with secondary good players ALTHOUGH we need to sign a few of those since we have the cap space now.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:08 pm    Post subject:

DocK36 wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
AshesToAshes wrote:

Disagree.

Mitch has to answer for the team being 105 games under .500 since the start of the 2013-14 season.

Sorry, time to move on and find someone who can figure out the current CBA and how to compete within the modern NBA which Mitch has proven conclusively he is unable to do.
Actually Mitch and Jim understood the current CBA so well that they pulled off a trade that landed them CP3 and save a ton of money, it was such a good move that a bunch of owners cried to the commissioner to have it overturned.

the trade itself was good. But the timing.....

If Mitch and Jim were really good they would've waited for the right time. Obviously right after heated CBA meetings targeting more or less the Lakers wasn't the right time.
Fastbreak32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:17 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Fastbreak32 wrote:

But part of the reason for the new cba was that bad owners were upset that good owners could keep excelling if they put the money and effort into it. The new cba forces teams to build it up and tear it down.

I don't disagree with that analysis, but how are we building it up? This team is terrible and I am not so sure we even have any great building blocks....Randle is raw, Russell to me is not a difference maker and Clarkson has offensive promise but plays no defense at all.

To me someone needs to answer for that, I am fine with dumping Mitch and Jim and bringing in some new ideas.

I think each of them represent the Bpa in their respective year and our draft order.

We are building it up with great cap flexibility with Kobe off the books. It's not a guarantee we get the great player in free agency but we're in a great positron one of season removed from am all time great retiring. It's not like the knicks of the early 2000s mired in mediocrity, no assets, and years without cap space.

If they fail this offseason, then yeah let's talk.

"...there was a time when the Israelites were wandering in the desert and all of a sudden, bread came down from heaven,” Pelinka said. “That’s kind of what today feels like for us to have KCP join.”
watchME
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:26 pm    Post subject:

i would feel good with a guy like pau gasol as my GM
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeanie and Jim should work together

venturalakersfan wrote:
Exactly, Mitch was responsible for 4 titles and 6 Finals visits. Phil is responsible for a lottery team so far. As you said, no comparison.

Quote:
As much as the other FO members do

Not sure what this means. What other FO members are we talking about?

Quote:
there is no one person who decides things for the franchise.

Is this the same as what you said here: "Exactly, Mitch was responsible for 4 titles and 6 Finals visits."

Quote:
And they did have impact after West left, they made the Rice trade that finally gave Shaq the PF he needed and they made playoff history.

So w/o Mitch, the Lakers wouldn't have three-peated is what you are saying?

Question: if Phil took over the Lakers situation after Jerry West left, would his resume be better? If Mitch took over the Knicks in 2014, would he have any finals appearances right now?
DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:38 pm    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
DocK36 wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
AshesToAshes wrote:

Disagree.

If Mitch and Jim were really good they would've waited for the right time. Obviously right after heated CBA meetings targeting more or less the Lakers wasn't the right time.
there is no "good time", the small market owners were colluding to screw the big market teams. And how do you supposed to wait on a trade with that many moving parts? NO was actively trying to move CP3 and listening to offers, Houston wants to pair Pau with Nene, who is a FA and already had contact with other teams. No one can predict how long it takes to negotiate with NO and find that third team, hell, who knows if they will even accept.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:30 am    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
DocK36 wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
AshesToAshes wrote:

Disagree.

This might be the dumbest thing I've read all week. No offense.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:44 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Fastbreak32 wrote:

But part of the reason for the new cba was that bad owners were upset that good owners could keep excelling if they put the money and effort into it. The new cba forces teams to build it up and tear it down.

I don't disagree with that analysis, but how are we building it up? This team is terrible and I am not so sure we even have any great building blocks....Randle is raw, Russell to me is not a difference maker and Clarkson has offensive promise but plays no defense at all.

To me someone needs to answer for that, I am fine with dumping Mitch and Jim and bringing in some new ideas.

the next draft and free agent season would be very telling whether Mitch stay, and/or Jim Buss steps down as VP. the last 3 years, their best move was grab Clarkson in the second round, and that's about it.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:15 am    Post subject:

silkwilkes wrote:
GS wasn't built in a day... it took 30 years lol.

wrong.. it took jerry 5 years

need to pair the jim/mitch combo with someone like that.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:18 am    Post subject:

AshesToAshes wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:
GS wasn't built in a day... it took 30 years lol.

wrong.. it took jerry 5 years

need to pair the jim/mitch combo with someone like that.

Well, I think there are two different ways to look at it.

Warriors haven't won since what, the 70s? It took them many iterations to finally get back on top, while in the same period Lakers churned championship team after championship team.
LakerFan87
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:57 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
I would oddly be okay with Phil coming, so long as he doesn't insist on the Triangle. The most important step now is nabbing high quality FAs, and I do think Phil is a better option from that angle than Mitch & Jim.

And it would be just like Phil to step into a situation JUST as things are about to get really good.

I don't think that would happen.

Phil has basically been coaching the Knicks without being on the sideline. I don't think he'd want to take a FO job with less power.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:04 am    Post subject:

LakerFan87 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
I would oddly be okay with Phil coming, so long as he doesn't insist on the Triangle. The most important step now is nabbing high quality FAs, and I do think Phil is a better option from that angle than Mitch & Jim.

And it would be just like Phil to step into a situation JUST as things are about to get really good.

I don't think that would happen.

Phil has basically been coaching the Knicks without being on the sideline. I don't think he'd want to take a FO job with less power.

Actually the irony is that Fish lost his job in large part because he brought in 2 assistants from his time as a player in OKC and was using a hybrid offense where there wasn't as much consistency in running the Triangle or the schemes Jackson himself would have. Rambis now in, yes definitely agree with your post. But up until this point, no, I don't think Fish and Phil were ever the same. The media and Phil himself have practically made this known as a fact. It was the main reason (outside the losing streak) I think Fish lost his job. Feel bad for Fish, in that, it was only his 2nd year and he was learning on the fly. Felt their win-loss record wasn't so bad in comparison to what the roster was capable of (Maybe what 2 or 3 wins better with a better coach?).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
twisted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Jeanie and Jim should work together

DoubleClutch wrote:
DocK36 wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
laker50 wrote:
To bring Phil Jackson as GM of the Lakers.

There is no reason for Jim Buss not to accept reason and not hire
Phil Jackson, hall of fame coach, and best GM choice.

Mich has done his time, and it is time to see what Phil can do.

You would think that Jim Buss wants the Lakers to win.

And when you compare Phil Jackson and Mitch Kupchak with all due respect
to Mitch, there is no comparison.

You're absolutely right. There is no comparison.

Mitch has built championship teams. Phil hasn't.

But hey, at 70 years old, he's in that prime age range to try something new, right? The guy has always been willing to try something new, which is why he gave Fisher the same assistants he had.
Exactly, Mitch is a proven winner at the FO, Phil is the best coach ever but he is a novice at the FO. It is time to move ahead, not starting over with a 70 year old. Mitch is winding down and we have a heir apparent in Ryan West who is going to run the team for decades to come. You let Phil take over and chances are Ryan West will go elsewhere.

This. Ryan West is the key. When I saw him pick out Larry Nance to show Mitch I was sold. He has his Dad's eye for prospects. Keep him in the fold until Mitch is ready to step down and then hand it over to Ryan.

He also lobbied for Clarkson and to buy thex2nd rounder to get him
Robster8989
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Jeanie and Jim should work together

twisted wrote:
DoubleClutch wrote:
DocK36 wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
laker50 wrote:
To bring Phil Jackson as GM of the Lakers.

There is no reason for Jim Buss not to accept reason and not hire
Phil Jackson, hall of fame coach, and best GM choice.

Mich has done his time, and it is time to see what Phil can do.

You would think that Jim Buss wants the Lakers to win.

And when you compare Phil Jackson and Mitch Kupchak with all due respect
to Mitch, there is no comparison.

You're absolutely right. There is no comparison.

Mitch has built championship teams. Phil hasn't.

But hey, at 70 years old, he's in that prime age range to try something new, right? The guy has always been willing to try something new, which is why he gave Fisher the same assistants he had.
Exactly, Mitch is a proven winner at the FO, Phil is the best coach ever but he is a novice at the FO. It is time to move ahead, not starting over with a 70 year old. Mitch is winding down and we have a heir apparent in Ryan West who is going to run the team for decades to come. You let Phil take over and chances are Ryan West will go elsewhere.

This. Ryan West is the key. When I saw him pick out Larry Nance to show Mitch I was sold. He has his Dad's eye for prospects. Keep him in the fold until Mitch is ready to step down and then hand it over to Ryan.

He also lobbied for Clarkson and to buy thex2nd rounder to get him

I agree.
I'm a Phil fan.
I think the Lakers are a better organization with him in the fold.
I think he brings tons of credibility.
I was always hoping there was a way to make a 3 headed monster (Jim, Mitch and Phil) making decisions.

HOWEVER, as far as Phil coming in and running everything, I have major concerns.
Remember, one of the reasons we are at this low is because we swung for the fences, first with CP3, then with DH and Nash. It obviously didn't work out, but we did our best to have a championship level team around Kobe's final years. Those moves were miraculous, though they didn't work out.

I think the main area of justified criticism is in the coaching decisions.
Those have been horrible.

I would be OK with Phil coming back to the organization, but as far as running everything, not so much.
I think Mitch should be promoted to VP of BB Ops, and Ryan West promoted to GM. If Phil can come in and be a part of that management team, I'd love to have him. I think he and Mitch always got along fine, and like I said, PJ brings credibility to the FO.

But Phil coming in as President, and cleaning house, is not something that I want to see. Best coach of all time, a living legend, great motivator and leader of men, but show me the resume for building a team/organization.

West Point '88
UCLA '92
75th Ranger Regiment '88-'04
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:56 am    Post subject:

If Phil comes back, chances are the next head coach of the Lakers is Brian Shaw or Kurt Rambis. And that is not a good thing.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:59 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
If Phil comes back, chances are the next head coach of the Lakers is Brian Shaw or Kurt Rambis. And that is not a good thing.

Luke Walton would likely be at the top of his list. Shaw 2nd, Rambis 3rd. People believe those are his targets for coaches in NY next season.

However I'm willing to bet with anyone that Phil isn't coming to the Lakers this year nor is Jim Buss being shown the door. End of next season, if we're still not a playoff team, I could see it happen (Not still sure about Phil part, but I see Jim and the fam coming to a consensus he has to assign someone else to his role)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:01 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Luke Walton would likely be at the top of his list. Shaw 2nd, Rambis 3rd. People believe those are his targets for coaches in NY next season.

However I'm willing to bet with anyone that Phil isn't coming to the Lakers this year nor is Jim Buss being shown the door. End of next season, if we're still not a playoff team, I could see it happen (Not still sure about Phil part, but I see Jim and the fam coming to a consensus he has to assign someone else to his role)

I'm not certain about Luke/Phil.

As seen with Fisher, one of Phil's most beloved guys, when he strayed from the Triangle, that was listed as one of the main reasons for his canning.

Coming from the Warriors, will Luke want to be constrained by having to run the Triangle? I'm not sure he'd be enthused to be frank.

Then you have Shaw/Rambis waiting at the wings.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject:

tnell wrote:
15 wrote:
MJST wrote:
Well, Jeanie was willing to give Dwight anything he wanted. She has said as such. Mitch and Jim, not so much.

Maybe Jeanie wanted Byron so much because he too is stuck in the old ways. Jeanie still thinks that free agents give a darn that the team is in Los Angeles or that they're "Lakers" while Mitch, Jim, Jesse and Ryan believe in 'basketball' and 'analytics', and relevant things like that. They blew their first meeting with Aldridge because Jeanie dominated the discussion with Los Angeles, had all the money people come in, the producers, Tobey Macguire talking about how great Los Angeles is...

While Jim, Mitch and Kobe talked basketball with Aldridge, (which Aldridge later called Kobe the best part of the first meeting). But the majority of the time was taken up by the Time Warner Execs and Jeanie. So that meeting bombed,

Aldridge really REALLY wanted to be a Laker so he gave them a second chance, this time, Jim and Mitch did it, and Jeanie was not invited(which is telling) and Aldridge said that meeting was the best as it was focused on basketball which is what Aldridge wanted in the first place. But the Spurs got it right on the first meeting and convinced him and had him convinced.

So as of right now it seems like the one out of touch with what today's generation is all about and stuck in the old ways is Jeanie, she even went to bat for Byron because it's what her father would have wanted according to her and he remains here because of her influence.

After she raised such a stink about D'antoni she will get what she wants till this off-season.

But it sounds from everything that's happened and from the players themselves that Jeanie may be the one out of touch instead of Mitch and Jim and then we look at the strength of their drafts which Jesse and Ryan are in charge of and we see where they are getting it right, then we look at the front office approach to free agents and we see where they are getting it wrong.

First of all, LA didn't grant the lakers a second meeting bc he wanted to be a laker really bad. He did it to save face bc the word got out that the first one went so horribly wrong. He felt bad so he granted lakers a pity meeting, knowing all along he would sign elsewhere

Why would he have to "save face"?

Most likely it was at the behest of his agent who didn't want to burn any bridges with the Lakers front office.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:14 am    Post subject:

silkwilkes wrote:
You really think drafting Randle, Clarkson, Russell, Nance and Brown is a bad haul over the past 2 years? Remember that we didn't have our first round pick the previous season.

To me, that's damn good.

I agree. Randle was the BPA, but Clarkson was an actual find...I don't know who gets credit for that.

I still think Russell was a questionable pick, the BPA was Porzingis, still I don't think Russell was a bad pick either.

Nance was a great find, and if West is the one who gets credit for it, kudos to him.

Brown has shown some flashes, but generally tends to disappear a lot despite getting lots of floor time. He reminds me a bit of Ebanks, which is a bad thing.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
Page 27 of 45
Jump to: