OFFICIAL ROBERT UPSHAW THREAD (Cut from D League for Drug Violation pg 137)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 130, 131, 132 ... 141, 142, 143  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject:

Robert Upshaw believes he will make the Lakers this season
Quote:
"Oh definitely. That's part of the reason why I'm still here," says Upshaw when asked if he still feels the same as he did in the preseason when guaranteeing he would make the Lakers. "I'm making it the goal to be on this Lakers team. It's the greatest team in basketball history with 16 championships... I want to be a part of that, I want to be a part of the championship winning teams and games, so I feel like I have to do what I have to do to stay here and work through everything to be a part of this team."

Los Angeles D-Fenders head coach Casey Owens thinks Upshaw does have a chance to get called up, but cautioned that Upshaw's career path will not be finalized this season.

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2016/2/8/10939318/la-lakers-robert-upshaw-update-call-up-chances
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Triangle_Offense wrote:
Could this guy be worse than Hibbert? Why not throw him in there?

Yes and he isn't ready.

I would stash him on the bench. I liked the multi-year vet's min. deal we had him on.

Now that the Lakers don't have to guarantee Sacre's deal, I hope they put Upshaw in Sacre's role next year.

He is better off playing in the D League and working on his game.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject:

BennyLava wrote:
Just wait till another Miami gets hold of him when he is ready ala Whiteside. Then we will be left being too cute for our own good once again. I mean all this just because we have Sacre? Sacre Bleu!

I've been reading that ever since the draft, no one has pursued him except for the Lakers.
BennyLava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
BennyLava wrote:
Just wait till another Miami gets hold of him when he is ready ala Whiteside. Then we will be left being too cute for our own good once again. I mean all this just because we have Sacre? Sacre Bleu!

I've been reading that ever since the draft, no one has pursued him except for the Lakers.

No one did for whiteside and Lin either until someone did and it worked. Just because no one has doesn't mean that no one will. The moment he is considered ready the lakers might not be the ones that benefit. Will it happen time will tell.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject:

Not true of Whiteside, he was actually drafted by the Kings and spent time with Memphis He actually was wanted by multiple NBA teams, Upshaw has not been.
Rawr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject:

BennyLava wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
BennyLava wrote:

No one did for whiteside and Lin either until someone did and it worked. Just because no one has doesn't mean that no one will. The moment he is considered ready the lakers might not be the ones that benefit. Will it happen time will tell.

Both Whiteside and Lin were looked at by a bunch of teams, that's just wrong.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject:

And Upshaw wants to be a Laker, I am sure that if he were pursued he would give our FO the chance to sign him first. Meanwhile let him continue to improve.
toffee
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:58 pm    Post subject:

Upshaw is cool, I hope he improves and gets his spot on our roster for the next season.
matigol
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:21 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
And Upshaw wants to be a Laker, I am sure that if he were pursued he would give our FO the chance to sign him first. Meanwhile let him continue to improve.

NO! this guy wants to earn money and play in the nba primary. I can't imagine he's waiting for the lakers to sign him.

think he wants to show up in the nba as soon as he can.

I'm with you that he wasn't nba-ready after training camp. but there are more worse players on our roster now as he improved.

teams calling up players like ryan hollins - what can he do that upshaw can't do?

sacre, huertas, kelly - i'm not sure for what they're more valuable to the team than upshaw would be in 5-10 mins
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:27 am    Post subject:

matigol wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

NO! this guy wants to earn money and play in the nba primary. I can't imagine he's waiting for the lakers to sign him.

I'm with you that he wasn't nba-ready after training camp. but there are more worse players on our roster now as he improved.

teams calling up players like ryan hollins - what can he do that upshaw can't do?

sacre, huertas, kelly - i'm not sure for what they're more valuable to the team than upshaw would be in 5-10 mins

Upshaw was horrendous in preseason. I'm not convinced this is true.
Roon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:39 am    Post subject:

matigol wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Did you read the article? Upshaw said a lot of things about how much he wants to be a Laker. Not about how much he wants to play in the NBA, or an NBA team, but how much he wants to be on the Lakers.

He would make a great politician if he didn't actually mean what he said. If he meant what he said, he'd at the very least let the Lakers know he got an offer.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:47 am    Post subject:

Upshaw needs to be in the weight room...a lot. He could be a Bynum level talent if he had more junk in the trunk. Still, I'd rather have him on the roster than sacre. hopefully we make a trade over the next couple of days to free up a roster spot
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:57 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
matigol wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

DLO was horrendous in pre-season and he's had a great year IMO. Plus, we know for a fact that Sacre, Kelly, and Huertas are terrible basketball players. Upshaw deserves a chance to show that he's not.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:00 am    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
tox wrote:
matigol wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

DLO was horrendous in pre-season and he's had a great year IMO. Plus, we know for a fact that Sacre, Kelly, and Huertas are terrible basketball players. Upshaw deserves a chance to show that he's not.

Come on. This is such a false equivalence. DLO might not have been great, but Upshaw didn't look like he knew how to play basketball. There are different tiers of badness and Upshaw was at the top, all by his lonesome self.

I'm not saying we should cut Sacre, Kelly, or Huertas (hell all of them) and give Upshaw a min contract just so he can't be snatched up (nor am I saying we shouldn't). They are terrible NBA players.

Upshaw was worse. He did not know how to play the game, plain and simple. It was apparent to see.

Again, you can argue he deserves a spot out of potential, and maybe there's merit to that argument. But you cannot tell me he was better than Huertas, Sacre, or Kelly, because as poor as they are at the NBA level, Upshaw was far worse.
matigol
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:01 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:

...and Sacre had a good one?

but that's not my point, Upshaw has improved a lot and i think there's a really good chance for him to sign a contract this year.

he worked on his game and stayed away from trouble. now he's a low risk high reward project and there will be teams to take the risk.

In our losing situation, the risk for us is lowest. we could only win if we sign him to a 2 years minimum contract

@roon
and yes i read the article about him, but after getting cut from the roster in the summer he said: " I know that sometime this year I’ll be playing in the NBA. That’s just a goal that I have, also.”

He stated that he willl play in the NBA this season. NBA! not lakers exclusively
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:07 am    Post subject:

matigol wrote:
tox wrote:

...and Sacre had a good one?

but that's not my point, Upshaw has improved a lot and i think there's a really good chance for him to sign a contract this year.

he worked on his game and stayed away from trouble. now he's a low risk high reward project and there will be teams to take the risk.

In our losing situation, the risk for us is lowest. we could only win if we sign him to a 2 years minimum contract

@roon
and yes i read the article about him, but after getting cut from the roster in the summer he said: " I know that sometime this year I’ll be playing in the NBA. That’s just a goal that I have, also.”

He stated that he willl play in the NBA this season. NBA! not lakers exclusively

Better than Upshaw, without question. That said, I understand your point and the question of Upshaw vs. other Laker scrubs is irrelevant to that. I'm not sure I agree with your course of action but I can see where you are coming from.
matigol
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:38 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:

Better than Upshaw, without question. That said, I understand your point and the question of Upshaw vs. other Laker scrubs is irrelevant to that. I'm not sure I agree with your course of action but I can see where you are coming from.

ceiling man, it's the ceiling!

We can debate if Sacre had a slightly better presesason, if any. But Sacre has no ceiling and Upshaw improved and has a much higher ceiling.

At this point, I would stay with the bigger talent instead of marginally better impact for the moment.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:22 am    Post subject:

Of course Sacre is a more polished and seasoned player than Upshaw. He's had what, 3 years in the NBA, 4 years in college? He's turning 27 this summer.

But to me, the wasted roster spot is Huertas.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:37 am    Post subject:

Upshaw for Huertas sounds good to me. I can see Memphis taking a look at him.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:41 am    Post subject:

I mean, does Huertas want to languish on the Lakers bench, playing .5 minutes a game? I thought he would want to be cut to go play in Brazil or maybe back in Europe? The NBA is certainly several notches above for him.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:48 am    Post subject:

Really, getting to play and learn the game in the minor leagues is the best thing for Upshaw now. Maybe he gets a late call up, especially if a big gets injured or we make a multi-player trade and need another big on the roster. Really I'd rather see what he looks like next summer league and see if has progressed.
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:53 am    Post subject:

If anybody in the NBA wanted Upshaw, he wouldn't be in the d league.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject:

matigol wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

So he says he wants to be a Laker and you can't imagine he is waiting for them to sign him? And people are calling up guys like Hollins and bypassing Upshaw. If that doesn't tell you anything, I don't know what to say. Other than what I have been saying since the draft, the only team with interest in him has been the Lakers. One team. But I can understand overrating a young player and how that creates paranoia. Even if it fails the common sense test.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
tox wrote:
matigol wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

He had that chance and showed that he was nowhere near being an NBA player. And Sacre is a better player at this point.
botox
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject:

matigol wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Catch the ball
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 130, 131, 132 ... 141, 142, 143  Next
Page 131 of 143
Jump to: