Has El Niño Abandoned LA? (latimes)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject: Has El Niño Abandoned LA? (latimes)

http://www.latimes.com/local/weather/la-me-winter-heat-20160209-story.html
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject:

Its a dud, but since we get most of our water from up north, I think they'll be alright. The only problem is that our groundwater isn't being replenished and the trees won't get that water they need to stay uprooted so a windy day could prove to be very hazardous like this past week.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject:

A lingering high pressure ridge and the jet stream has been sending pretty much everything up North. This heat isn't going to help much. Definitely a bummer. I was looking forward to a winter with some actual weather.

I've seen lots of LA transplants talking about how great it is to be is a city where it's early February and it's in the 80's. I say (bleep) that. I want a couple months of some rainy, cold days. I can go out to my 110 degree car and deal with the heat just about any day of the year. I want a BREAK from that.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
A lingering high pressure ridge and the jet stream has been sending pretty much everything up North. This heat isn't going to help much. Definitely a bummer. I was looking forward to a winter with some actual weather.

I've seen lots of LA transplants talking about how great it is to be is a city where it's early February and it's in the 80's. I say (bleep) that. I want a couple months of some rainy, cold days. I can go out to my 110 degree car and deal with the heat just about any day of the year. I want a BREAK from that.

Agree, not to mention the break from a $220 SCE bill.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Yeah, my thought when I saw a friend (NY transplant) posting "Yay! Going to use my AC in February!" was "HTF is that a good thing?"
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

Damn. To think I was complaining about my 30 dollar bill. Solar panels have warped my sense of the cost of electricity.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Damn. To think I was complaining about my 30 dollar bill. Solar panels have warped my sense of the cost of electricity.

Who did your panels and for how much?
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

City inspector just came to our house the other day for the last step before we can turn on our panels. Can't WAIT!
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

It's been sunny and in the 70s for a week up here. Next weeks forecast looks the same.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:53 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

Not here. I've been here fifty plus years and have seldom seen it. November thru January used to be a good run.
dvdrdiscs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Not here. I've been here fifty plus years and have seldom seen it. November thru January used to be a good run.

Maybe it's just nostalgia, but I remember as a kid growing up in So. Cal in the late 80's and early 90's, winter was actually winter. We'd have wet weather for a good stretch of fall through winter.

Count me in as someone who also wants rain in winter. Sunny, hot weather 24/7 is overrated.
Tark the Shark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

I recently moved into a home with solar panels. My Jan bill from SCE was $1.10. Is this amount typical?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Ditto, wonder how much it costs as well...always see commercials for it but they never mention anything about the pricing.
I Bleed P&G
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

I totally understand how you feel. I missed the monsoon and was really enjoying January but than February hits and I was I could have waited for this. BTW I'm not a rain lover or whatever you call them.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:05 am    Post subject:

I Bleed P&G wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

I totally understand how you feel. I missed the monsoon and was really enjoying January but than February hits and I was I could have waited for this. BTW I'm not a rain lover or whatever you call them.

Yeah, we were out of the country for that 3 day deluge and I am really bummed I missed the only real weather we have had.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Ditto, wonder how much it costs as well...always see commercials for it but they never mention anything about the pricing.

Depends on the size of your electric bill. We used Baker Electric Solar. The solar company is going to decide how many panels you're going to need based on how much electricity you use (most use your yearly average...Baker used the few month average during our peak use). Our bill is typically $300 or so and during summers is $450+. We chose to finance the panels. The panels will pretty much pay for the electricity. Final cost is 20 year finance at $180/month. I forgot the exact cost if we were to buy outright...it's in my paperwork somewhere. I spoke with 5-6 companies before settling on Baker. There are a lot of small ones as well that service only specific cities/counties. IIRC, there was one in LA that would have been the best price wise but we're out in Yorba Linda.

Once the contract was signed, there was a period of a few weeks when the solar company had to get through red tape. Installation itself took 3 days. The workers were here around 9am, usually left around 3. An inspection by the city was required (at least in YL it was). Make sure you have a smoke detector in every bedroom that's working. One of ours wasn't working and the jerk inspector couldn't just let me fix it on the spot. We're now waiting on him to come back next week.

If you're able to do it, do it. There's really no drawback as far as I'm aware. You're always going to come out ahead.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject:

We are behind in rainfall compared to last year in Socal.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject:

It's (bleep) hot.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
We are behind in rainfall compared to last year in Socal.

But . . . But . . . EL NINO!
frenchbullcho
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:31 am    Post subject:

dvdrdiscs wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Maybe it's just nostalgia, but I remember as a kid growing up in So. Cal in the late 80's and early 90's, winter was actually winter. We'd have wet weather for a good stretch of fall through winter.

Count me in as someone who also wants rain in winter. Sunny, hot weather 24/7 is overrated.
Totally agree. Visited Chicago in December and the weather was awesome. Wasn't snowing when I visited Chicago but it was cold. Wished we had a chilly, windy night for a month. At least it's raining today.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject:

Mountain High is closed already. Sad sad times.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Mountain High is closed already. Sad sad times.

Not only closed, but it's nothing but dirt.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:50 pm    Post subject:

dvdrdiscs wrote:

Even as a native Angeleno, I could never understand people's aversion to the rain. Compared to most places, even the heavy rain isn't that bad (Go to a coastal Central American country during hurricane season, I promise you'll never complain about So Cal rain again). Yeah, I understand the flooding and mudslides are terrible, but we still need the water to actually live out here. With this extended drought, So Cal might actually turn into Mad Max or something like that.

I was looking forward to the rain this year. Hell, I even got a new roof and gutters in preparation.

!...
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:21 am    Post subject:

The lil SOB is finally visiting hard here. Lightening, thunder, the whole nine yards.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:40 am    Post subject:

Poseidon just appeared over my house.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: