The best teams know when to fold 'em.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElginWorthy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:53 am    Post subject: The best teams know when to fold 'em.

One of the best possible ways of continuing to compete for titles is finding that sweet spot for each player, as far as their value to the team, and their value as a trade piece.

The most successful teams generally know when to trade aging stars for younger players or draft picks. Yes, there are exceptions, but in general, if you want your team to win, year after year, you don't hold on to aging stars past the point of no return.

The Lakers failed to do this with Kobe. They all too often put him first, and the team second or third or fourth. Some might think it's "cruel" to talk about players in this way, that it's asking for a team to "throw that player under the bus."

Um, no. Aging stars in the current era of the NBA likely make more than 10 million a year, plus their own side deals and investments. Personally, I'd love to be treated so terribly.

The Lakers should have traded Kobe just as he was trending downward in performance, and especially as injuries started piling up. If they could get trading partners, receive draft picks or young players in return, you have got to make those trades. Obviously, if no one wants to trade with you, it's all moot

It's a team sport. Gotta put team above any individual player, if you want to be successful for the long run.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: The best teams know when to fold 'em.

ElginWorthy wrote:
One of the best possible ways of continuing to compete for titles is finding that sweet spot for each player, as far as their value to the team, and their value as a trade piece.

The most successful teams generally know when to trade aging stars for younger players or draft picks. Yes, there are exceptions, but in general, if you want your team to win, year after year, you don't hold on to aging stars past the point of no return.

The Lakers failed to do this with Kobe. They all too often put him first, and the team second or third or fourth. Some might think it's "cruel" to talk about players in this way, that it's asking for a team to "throw that player under the bus."

Um, no. Aging stars in the current era of the NBA likely make more than 10 million a year, plus their own side deals and investments. Personally, I'd love to be treated so terribly.

The Lakers should have traded Kobe just as he was trending downward in performance, and especially as injuries started piling up. If they could get trading partners, receive draft picks or young players in return, you have got to make those trades. Obviously, if no one wants to trade with you, it's all moot

It's a team sport. Gotta put team above any individual player, if you want to be successful for the long run.

What are all these teams that constantly remain successfully by trading their stars? Which teams exactly are you referring to?
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:03 am    Post subject:

Kobe wasn't just any star, he was a star among stars. A superstar and a living legend. A transcendent, once in a generation player who brought 5 championships. Fans are willing to stick it out through the bad times for a legend.
ElginWorthy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: The best teams know when to fold 'em.

activeverb wrote:
ElginWorthy wrote:

What are all these teams that constantly remain successfully by trading their stars? Which teams exactly are you referring to?

It's not about trading stars. It's about trading declining stars.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: The best teams know when to fold 'em.

ElginWorthy wrote:
activeverb wrote:
ElginWorthy wrote:

What teams do you think have been constantly successful by doing this?
ElginWorthy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:14 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
Kobe wasn't just any star, he was a star among stars. A superstar and a living legend. A transcendent, once in a generation player who brought 5 championships. Fans are willing to stick it out through the bad times for a legend.

I don't view him that way. He was excellent, yes. But I don't even see him as the greatest Laker. I think Wilt, Magic and Kareem were better, and depending on the day, Baylor and West.

In fact, I think your description of the way some fans feel is exactly what prevented the Lakers from making the trade when they should have. Fear of a backlash from fans with a severe attachment disorder.

He also didn't bring LA five championships. He was a player, a very important player, on a team that won those championships. It's a team sport. No one player "wins championships."
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:14 am    Post subject:

Yeah...fans would riot in la if Kobe was traded right now and he's playing with one foot in the grave. Imagine trying to trade a near prime Kobe. People don't understand that a market like Los Angeles with this fan base comes with a lot of politics.

Recently, when Dwight Howard rumors were flying around someone said the lakers don't want him because of PR reasons. Have you been to a laker game recently. When rockets came to town in December they booed Howard relentlessly all game long. On the opposite end of the spectrum you would think ariza was wearing a lakers jersey.
The Gr8 Lakes
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject:

This is complete nonsense. I can't think of a single player being traded unless the player forced his way out. You couldn't and should t have traded Kobe and this season shows.

Longtime LG lurker.
ElginWorthy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: The best teams know when to fold 'em.

activeverb wrote:
ElginWorthy wrote:
activeverb wrote:
ElginWorthy wrote:

What teams do you think have been constantly successful by doing this?

You keep adding words to what I've said. I didn't say "constantly successful." I said it was the smartest blueprint for continued success.

Will try to find some links for teams that have been successful over time with this strategy and post them later.
ElginWorthy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
Yeah...fans would riot in la if Kobe was traded right now and he's playing with one foot in the grave. Imagine trying to trade a near prime Kobe. People don't understand that a market like Los Angeles with this fan base comes with a lot of politics.

Recently, when Dwight Howard rumors were flying around someone said the lakers don't want him because of PR reasons. Have you been to a laker game recently. When rockets came to town in December they booed Howard relentlessly all game long. On the opposite end of the spectrum you would think ariza was wearing a lakers jersey.

I've followed them for nearly 50 years. Yes, I know some of the fan base is irrational in their love of Kobe. I've seen it here as well. People take criticism of Kobe as a direct insult, which is nutz. It has absolutely nothing to do with them and they need to chill out.

As mentioned before, their irrational fervor for Kobe prevents the Lakers from doing the right thing -- they should have traded him a few years ago, again, when he was visibly declining. Get young players and/or draft picks in return and reload.

That's how you keep winning.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject:

ElginWorthy wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

I've followed them for nearly 50 years. Yes, I know some of the fan base is irrational in their love of Kobe. I've seen it here as well. People take criticism of Kobe as a direct insult, which is nutz. It has absolutely nothing to do with them and they need to chill out.

As mentioned before, their irrational fervor for Kobe prevents the Lakers from doing the right thing -- they should have traded him a few years ago, again, when he was visibly declining. Get young players and/or draft picks in return and reload.

Yeah, I agree.

I think the lakers know that though because they turned shaq into pau and Lamar!
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: The best teams know when to fold 'em.

ElginWorthy wrote:

You keep adding words to what I've said. I didn't say "constantly successful." I said it was the smartest blueprint for continued success.

Will try to find some links for teams that have been successful over time with this strategy and post them later.

You don't need links. You just need to tell us who these teams are.

Because surely if you started a thread based on a sweeping generalization ("The most successful teams generally know when to trade aging stars for younger players or draft picks") you actually had some teams in mind that supported your little theory, right?
ElginWorthy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
ElginWorthy wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

Yeah, I agree.

I think the lakers know that though because they turned shaq into pau and Lamar!

Good point. The Lakers have gone that route with some players. But not others.

And, really, if you sign a free agent (like Shaq), get his best years, and then trade him for younger players or draft picks once he's in decline? You've knocked it out of the ballpark. That's just really, really smart.

I don't think the Lakers have been making very many smart trades lately.
ElginWorthy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: The best teams know when to fold 'em.

activeverb wrote:
ElginWorthy wrote:

You don't need links. You just need to tell us who these teams are.

Because surely if you started a thread based on a sweeping generalization ("The most successful teams generally know when to trade aging stars for younger players or draft picks") you actually had some teams in mind that supported your little theory, right?

Yes, I need links because the NBA has a long history to deal with, and I'm not a basketball historian. I'm a fan. And you don't get to tell me what I "need" to do. You're just some anonymous person on the Internet, and I don't "need" to prove anything to you.

Don't like my assertions? Gotta problem with them? I couldn't begin to care less.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject:

[quote="ElginWorthy"]
PICKnPOP wrote:
ElginWorthy wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

Yeah, I agree.

And, really, if you sign a free agent (like Shaq), get his best years, and then trade him for younger players or draft picks once he's in decline? You've knocked it out of the ballpark. That's just really, really smart.

I don't think the Lakers have been making very many smart trades lately.[/quote

I think that they have made the best out of the situations they have been given. Think about it Mitch almost tuned shaq into Lamar, gasol, and CP3! That's amazing. Pau wasn't the same after the trade was nixed and it wouldn't have been good PR to try and trade him again. His fans would have went crazy so they let him walk to play for the team of his choice. Lakers have been alright in my book
Yumyumcha
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject:

The Lakers like trying to hit the home run in signing free agents (in addition to a few role players after the foundation has been set). You could make an argument that keeping a declining superstar like Kobe shows good faith in the organization to watch out for their own and that guys like Kevin Durant and/or Russell Westbrook won't be discarded like leftovers at they reach the end of their career.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject:

ElginWorthy wrote:

Huh? The Lakers didn't trade Shaq out of some strategy desire to reboot. They traded him to keep Kobe from leaving. And as a result, we sold him in fire sale.

And then what happened? Shaq went to Miami and won a ring.

Man, you are just reaching for straws here.
ElginWorthy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
ElginWorthy wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
ElginWorthy wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

Yeah, I agree.

I don't think the Lakers have been making very many smart trades lately.

I think that they have made the best out of the situations they have been given. Think about it Mitch almost tuned shaq into Lamar, gasol, and CP3! That's amazing. Pau wasn't the same after the trade was nixed and it wouldn't have been good PR to try and trade him again. His fans would have went crazy so they let him walk to play for the team of his choice. Lakers have been alright in my book

Do you think they could have gotten a First for Pau? I see what you're saying about the back story and bad vibes that might create . . . but they might have been able to swing a deal to a team he actually liked.

But the Dwight situation was far worse. I will never understand the Nash trade, either.

It's my bias, and I admit it, but I much prefer building a team via the draft and with youth. Bring in a vet here and there, but not if it means mortgaging the future.

Regardless, gotta be a really hard job, being a GM, and incredibly stressful. I don't envy the Mith's of this world.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: The best teams know when to fold 'em.

ElginWorthy wrote:

Yes, I need links because the NBA has a long history to deal with, and I'm not a basketball historian. I'm a fan. And you don't get to tell me what I "need" to do. You're just some anonymous person on the Internet, and I don't "need" to prove anything to you.

Don't like my assertions? Gotta problem with them? I couldn't begin to care less.

Well, we are knew this was a BS thread and you just confirmed it.

I'll make it easy for you. No NBA team has a history of trading aging stars at just the right moment to ease the transition into the next era. So your theory is simply untrue, which is why you can't think of any examples to support it.

This is nothing more than a generic, trolling p&m thread.
ElginWorthy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
ElginWorthy wrote:

Huh? The Lakers didn't trade Shaq out of some strategy desire to reboot. They traded him to keep Kobe from leaving. And as a result, we sold him in fire sale.

And then what happened? Shaq went to Miami and won a ring.

Man, you are just reaching for straws here.

First off, notice the word "if" in the part you quoted. It's a pretty important word in that case.

Beyond that, you were there, inside the building when all of this went down? You know what was inside their heads when they made that trade?

Look, if it makes you feel better, I'll say I'm wrong about everything I wrote above. You're right about everything you've said so far, and right about everything you've ever said. You win.

Happy?
ElginWorthy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: The best teams know when to fold 'em.

activeverb wrote:
ElginWorthy wrote:

Well, we are knew this was a BS thread and you just confirmed it.

I'll make it easy for you. No NBA team has a history of trading aging stars at just the right moment to ease the transition into the next era. So your theory is simply untrue, which is why you can't think of any examples to support it.

This is nothing more than a generic, trolling p&m thread.

Prove it. Give me proof. You asked me to present it, and I said I'll get the links.

So you make a blanket statement in response, and offer zero proof. And beyond all of that, you're not even dealing with what I've actually said, just what you're projecting, like a bratty little child.

Practice what you preach, bud.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: The best teams know when to fold 'em.

ElginWorthy wrote:

I think you can look at the model of the Spurs and say that was the Lakers plan.

Unfortunately, the FO is not as talented as the Spurs.

When you have a player that started with the franchise you do everything you can to maintain that level.

What happened was the Lakers basically lost Howard and Gasol for nothing.

The Rockets see that and is trying to fix that.

The Lakers FO are not that talented.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject:

Still wondering where this large market for Kobe was.
Nobody was going gut their team for a short term rental.
ElginWorthy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: The best teams know when to fold 'em.

laker4life wrote:
ElginWorthy wrote:

I think you can look at the model of the Spurs and say that was the Lakers plan.

Unfortunately, the FO is not as talented as the Spurs.

When you have a player that started with the franchise you do everything you can to maintain that level.

What happened was the Lakers basically lost Howard and Gasol for nothing.

The Rockets see that and is trying to fix that.

The Lakers FO are not that talented.

That's the way I see it, too.

You plan for a player's demise. In all team sports. Football, basketball, baseball. Sometimes, players don't give you that chance. They retire on top of their game. Other times, the fall off in performance just isn't worth the hassle of the trade.

But more often than not, age and injury wear down a player. Professional sports take their toll. So if you can trade aging, declining players to make your team better -- and that's what should matter most -- you do it.

That's all I'm saying.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject:

Utter nonsense
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7
Jump to: