News 'n Views - Mar 2016: D'Angelo Russell affair just the latest sign the Lakers are losing their identity
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:03 am    Post subject: News 'n Views - Mar 2016: D'Angelo Russell affair just the latest sign the Lakers are losing their identity

Byron Scott says he will play the younger Lakers more
by Harrison Faigen - silverscreenandroll.com

Anthony Brown and Tarik Black will be dusted off and throw in to the Lakers' remaining games.

With the Los Angeles Lakers far removed from the playoff chase at 11-49, head coach Byron Scott is beginning to focus on the future of the roster. Scott told Broderick Turner of the L.A. Times on Monday that he plans to play the team's young players more over the last 22 games of the season, particularly sophomore forward Tarik Black and rookie swingman Anthony Brown.

Brown already appeared in the team's last game, a loss to the Memphis Grizzlies on Friday night, and Scott said he will play the Southern California native more minutes the rest of the way so the team can see what they have.

"Now I want to see again, these last 20 or so games, let's see how much he's developed from that time where he was getting starts and he was playing 18, 19 minutes a game to now," Scott told Turner. "Let's see if he's gotten better."

Brown has mostly struggled offensively from an individual standpoint, shooting just 31.5 percent from the field and 28.8 percent on three-pointers, but it's the other end where he's made his mark. The Lakers give up a team worst 111.5 points per 100 possessions while Brown is on the bench, but when Brown is on the floor, the Lakers allow opponents to score just 100.2 points per game. That figure is somewhat notable given that the Stanford product has played in more than just blowouts, especially when starting in place of Kobe Bryant.

Scott also committed to finally answering the calls to #FreeTarikBlack. The reserve big man has received just 12.2 minutes per game in the 2015-16 season after a breakout rookie campaign where it appeared the Lakers had found a future bench stalwart.

Continued....

Last edited by lakersfreak on Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:10 pm; edited 63 times in total
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:04 am    Post subject:

Young Lakers players to get more minutes
by Broderick Turner - latimes.com

Lakers fans will get to see the kids play more often in the last 22 games of the season.

Rookie point guard D'Angelo Russell, second-year guard Jordan Clarkson and second-year forward Julius Randle will continue to start and get lots of minutes, and rookie forward Larry Nance Jr. will keep getting his playing time in a reserve role, Coach Byron Scott said Monday.

Also, rookie forward Anthony Brown and second-year center Tarik Black will see more action.

"I'm in that mode right now," Scott said. "Sometimes people just want you to do it a whole lot faster than you want to do it. And that's their prerogative. But they're not here every day with me."

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:06 am    Post subject:

Julius Randle On 2015-16 Lakers Season: ‘We’ve Come A Long Way’
by Corey Hansford - lakersnation.com

The Los Angeles Lakers have had a rough 2015-16 NBA season to say the least. For the second consecutive season, the Lakers are on pace to set a franchise record for fewest wins in a season. Through the darkness, however, there have been some bright spots, and one of those is Julius Randle.

Randle has been one of the most consistent players on the roster this season, averaging a double-double and always bringing a lot of energy to the floor.

Even though the Lakers have been extremely inconsistent as the young players grow, Randle believes the team has come a long way this season:

“We’ve come a long way. There’s been so many highs and lows throughout the season. So much more experienced.”

Randle also believes that the Lakers have benefitted from their recent practice days, believing the new offensive set installed by head coach Byron Scott will help the team:

“It’s been good. Coach put in a new set and it’s done a good job of getting better, as far as our spacing and moving the ball so that was the whole point.”

Continued....
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:10 am    Post subject:

Thanks as always freak. Your tireless work is much appreciated.
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:25 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:

Sleep is over-rated
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:42 am    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:
24 wrote:

Sleep is over-rated

Ain't that the truth. But seriously, the one stop article shopping is awesome.
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:25 am    Post subject:

Welcome

Plus since they go in the archives we have a historical database of sorts to look back on.
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject:

D'Angelo Russell needs to lead the Lakers by example
by Bill Oram - ocregister.com

With Byron Scott waiting to see whether D’Angelo Russell embraces being a leader on the court, the Lakers coach is reminded of the 2005-06 season when, as the coach of the New Orleans Pelicans, he was tasked with grooming another young point guard.

“Chris Paul was our leader as a rookie,” Scott said Sunday, “but there were certain guys he just wouldn’t yell at.”

One of them, Scott said, was veteran power forward P.J. Brown. Scott remembered Paul telling him, “Coach, he’s been in the league 10 years, I can’t say nothing to him.”

Scott added: “That’s just respect.”

So Scott understood, to a point, where Russell was coming from Friday night when, after a 112-95 loss to Memphis, he said that he believed he had the skills to be a great leader but not the “credibility or experience” to be taken seriously.

“What I say goes through one ear and out the other,” Russell said. “I feel like once I get that credibility to speak for myself that I’ll have that quality of being a leader.”

Scott said Paul earned the respect of Brown and others by “what he did on the court on a day-to-day basis.”

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject:

Lakers Laying the Foundation: Xavier Henry
by Anthony Yassa - lakeshowlife.com

Xavier Henry is yet another intriguing piece in the process of the Lakers laying the foundation for the future

The Los Angeles Lakers have reached a point of the season in which they should be considering adding players who can potentially make an impact next season and beyond. While it would be wise for the team to create roster spots and begin to add players before the season ends, these players will be options for the team in the offseason as well.

This series has already analyzed several players who could potentially provide the team with future assets and contributors. This entry however, will differ from the others in that the player being profiled has actually already spent significant time in the purple and gold. Xavier Henry played for the Lakers in 2013-14 and quickly became a fan favorite by producing highlights such as this one:

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject:

Robert Upshaw: ‘I Want To Prove That I Should’ve Been Drafted’
by Alan Huerta - lakesnation.com

With a roster full of NBA veterans, former call-ups, and potential NBA talent, the Los Angeles D-Fenders are one of the more notable teams that the NBA Developmental League has to offer from a talent pool perspective.

One of those players is Robert Upshaw, the undrafted rookie center that had a brief stint with the Los Angeles Lakers during the 2015 Summer League and NBA Preseason. Although he possesses an intriguing combination of size and fundamental back-to-the-basket style of play that makes him force on both ends of the floor, Upshaw’s off-the-court issues that had him kicked out of two college programs ultimately cost him a chance to not only be drafted, but also have an NBA team keep him on a final roster.

As Upshaw has progressed in his time in the D-League, specifically this month (scored a career-high 18 points and is averaging 56.7 percent from the field), he’s yet to prove the one thing that’s haunted him since last June.

“I want to prove that I should’ve been drafted,” Upshaw told LakersNation.com following the D-Fenders 117-107 win against the Idaho Stampede. “That’s what I want to prove. That I should’ve been drafted.”

Continued....
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:

With Byron Scott waiting to see whether D’Angelo Russell embraces being a leader on the court, the Lakers coach is reminded of the 2005-06 season when, as the coach of the New Orleans Pelicans, he was tasked with grooming another young point guard.

“Chris Paul was our leader as a rookie,” Scott said Sunday, “but there were certain guys he just wouldn’t yell at.”

One of them, Scott said, was veteran power forward P.J. Brown. Scott remembered Paul telling him, “Coach, he’s been in the league 10 years, I can’t say nothing to him.”

So Scott understood, to a point, where Russell was coming from Friday night when, after a 112-95 loss to Memphis, he said that he believed he had the skills to be a great leader but not the “credibility or experience” to be taken seriously.

“What I say goes through one ear and out the other,” Russell said. “I feel like once I get that credibility to speak for myself that I’ll have that quality of being a leader.”

Scott said Paul earned the respect of Brown and others by “what he did on the court on a day-to-day basis.”

Continued....

Can someone shut this guy's trap? I mean all Scott has done the past 5 years in coaching is lose on a historical basis.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
lakersfreak wrote:
24 wrote:

Sleep is over-rated

Agreed. Retire this man!
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject:

^ you are too kind

Just glad I can help out around here.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
lakersfreak wrote:
24 wrote:

Sleep is over-rated

Yep one of my fave features on the board. Thanks Lakersfreak for keeping it up after Cha*n retired.

now on to complaining...

lakersfreak wrote:

Continued....

I thought he was cocky?! See, this is that foolishness from BScott...
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject:

Tank Watch - Keeping track of the Lakers' 2016 lottery odds

It's time to check in on the ' top-three protected first round pick.

Fun Fact: During the 2015 Las Vegas Summer League, when sitting with our esteemed Editor in Chief Drew Garrison before the Los Angeles Lakers' first game of the exhibition tournament, I swore I would never write this column again. I leaned in and told him something along the lines of, "Well, at least no matter what happens this year, there is no way the team will be bad enough that I will have to write Tank Watch again."

Welp.

Someone needs to photoshop a Crying Jordan head on me, because I could not have been more wrong. The Lakers are far worse than I thought was possible headed in to the '15-16 campaign. It's hard to believe, but there was a time before the season when many (yours truly included) thought the Lakers would be bad but respectable, somewhere in the 25-28 win range.

The team has yet to hit even half of that overly optimistic total, with just 11 victories and only 22 games left to play. The Lakers' 11-49 record has them at last place in the Western Conference and three games back of the Philadelphia 76ers (8-52) for the worst record in the entire NBA. Making matters worse, if the Lakers' pick falls outside of the top-three in the draft, it must be conveyed to those same Sixers (who received it from the Suns), the last lurking land mine left over from the ill-fated Steve Nash sign-and-trade.

As a reminder, here is a breakdown of the Lakers' lottery odds, brought to you by the invaluable Tankathon.com

If the Lakers finish with the worst record in the NBA, they have a 64.3 percent chance to keep their first round pick.
    If the Lakers finish with the second worst record in the NBA, they have a 55.8 percent chance to keep their first round pick.
    If the Lakers finish with the third worst record in the NBA, they have a 46.9 percent chance to keep their first round pick.

The team currently boasts a four and a half game "lead" on the Phonix Suns (15-44, third worst record in the league), and a six game advantage over the Brooklyn Nets (17-43, fourth worst record in the league).

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject:

TDIKH: March 1, 2009
by nba.com

Kobe Bryant did all he could in a clash between NBA greats — and former teammates — but Shaquille O’Neal would not let Phoenix fall.

Bryant exploded for 49 points and 11 rebounds, while O’Neal parried with 33 points of his own, as the Suns defended their home floor, 118-111.

O’Neal was a force for Phoenix, which won despite Steve Nash sitting out with a sprained ankle. But it wasn’t just a former teammate that thwarted Bryant, as a future one did as well.

Matt Barnes collected 26 points, 10 rebounds and seven assists to aid O’Neal, who was busy battling down low with Pau Gasol (30 points).

Bryant was at his best in the second half, when he piled up 30 points. His 17-point third quarter was huge for Los Angeles, which used a 19-2 run to take a 75-70 lead midway through the frame.

During this surge, Bryant had one of his teeth knocked out of place.

“Don’t ask me nothing funny,” Bryant told reporters. “I’m not smiling. You’re not seeing my tooth. It feels foul. It feels like I can’t chew anything, like Roger Rabbit or something.”

But the Suns had plenty to respond with, retaking the lead shortly after. Though L.A. brought its deficit within two, Phoenix’s offense was simply too efficient to stop.

The purple and gold took 17 more shots than their hosts, but the Suns nonetheless hit one more basket in a seven-point victory.

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject:

5 Second-Round Prospects Lakers Should Target
by Cody Williams - lakeshowlife.com

The Lakers’ first-round pick is up in the air, but there are players that could help in the second round of the 2016 NBA Draft

The majority of Los Angeles Lakers fans are looking at the 2016 NBA Draft with a mix of optimism and anxiety. On the one hand, they are holding strong with the second-worst record in the NBA. On the other, the lottery could bite them in a big way if their pick were to fall outside of the top-three, as the first-round pick would then transfer to the Philadelphia 76ers.

It’s a frustrating juxtaposition for a rebuilding team like the Lakers and their fans because of the high variance in regards to the possibilities with their 2016 first-round pick. While they could land a prospect like Ben Simmons or Brandon Ingram, the rebuilding process could take a hit by coming up empty-handed in the first round as a result of losing their pick.

That being said, the Lakers in no circumstance will walk away from the 2016 NBA Draft entirely empty-handed as they still have their second-round pick. The Lakers have shown tremendous ability in recent years in regards to finding talent outside of the lottery, both Larry Nance Jr. and Jordan Clarkson serving as the examples of that.

Because of how they’ve performed as of late in second rounds, there has to be hope that the Lakers can once again find value in 2016 with the pick that they are certain to keep and bring in some help to the rebuilding process in regards to a second-round prospect.

Looking at current prospect rankings and mock drafts, these are five prospects that the Lakers should have their eye on as it pertains to their second-round pick in the 2016 NBA Draft.

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:01 am    Post subject:

D'Angelo Russell goes completely bonkers in 107-101 victory
by Drew Garrison - silverscreenandroll.com

All D'Angelo everything as Lakers win.

The Los Angeles Lakers snapped their eight-game losing streak in a 107-101 victory over the Brooklyn Nets. The win was all about D'Angelo Russell who set a new career-high with 39 points, breaking the 30-point barrier for the first time in his young career.

Russell was locked in, setting not only a career-high in points, but also in three-pointers made. D'Angelo drained eight of his 12 attempts from deep, ripping up the Nets from long range. It was back-to-back threes late in the fourth quarter with the game on the line that put his amazing performance over the top, ending with him pointing to his shooting hand to let us know he has ice in his veins. He also showed off his inside scoring talents, getting into the lane and converting over defenders. It was an incredible night from the rookie, and the first of many 30-plus point games in his career.

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:05 am    Post subject:

After Game Videos - Nets at Lakers
by lakersnation.com

Lakers Rookie D'Angelo Russell Scores 39, 'Ice In My Veins' Celebration

Julius Randle After D'Angelo Russell's 39 Points In Win Over Brooklyn Nets

Byron Scott On D'Angelo Russell's 39 Points, Progress With Offense
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:08 am    Post subject:

D'Angelo Russell's father told him to 'eat,' so he scored a career-high 39 points against the Brooklyn Nets

The rookie went out and showed that his father knows best.

Before he scored a career-high 39 points, the most points by a Los Angeles Lakers rookie since Elgin Baylor, D'Angelo Russell's father texted him a simple question.

"Are you hungry?" Russell recalled his father asking.

"Eat."

Russell feasted like a wild grizzly bear in an all-you-can-eat buffet against the Brooklyn Nets, going 14-21 from the field and making 8-12 three pointers to go with six rebounds and three assists in just over 35 minutes of playing time. It was quite simply the rookie's best performance of the year, the type of potential promised by his confident claims in early January that "y'all ain't seen nothing yet."

We've seen something now. Russell's explosion may have come against the moribund Nets, but it was still the most points scored by a rookie this season and served as the latest and most complete reminder of the talent that led the Lakers to select Russell second overall in the 2015 NBA draft.

Russell ate because with Kobe Bryant out with sore shoulder, and head coach Byron Scott's belatedly transitioning towards favoring the Lakers' youth movement over chasing wins that still didn't come with his veterans, he has finally been allowed a seat at the table.

The Lakers' rookie point guard was given leeway to create previously only given to Bryant this season, with 33.6 percent of the Lakers' possessions against the Nets ending in a shot, assist, drawn foul, or turnover by Russell, and he made good use of nearly all of them.

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:09 am    Post subject:

D'Angelo Russell drains his 8th three and HAS ICE IN HIS VEINS (Video)

Just call him Mr. Freeze.

D'Angelo Russell went off against the Brooklyn Nets, snapping the Los Angeles Lakers' losing streak while scoring a career-high 39 points. It was his eight three-pointers, though, that set the performance apart. He hit back-to-back bombs with the game hanging in the balance, though, with his last deep dart from Steph Curry range.

The shooting barrage was tremendous, and this moment might just define his rookie season. "ICE IN MY VEINS!":

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:10 am    Post subject:

D’Angelo Russell On Career Night: ‘I Don’t Play For Records Or Statistics’
by Ryan Ward - lakersnation.com

Rookie point guard D’Angelo Russell had a breakout game on Tuesday night with the 20-year-old scoring a career-high 39 points against the visiting Brooklyn Nets. Russell led the Los Angeles Lakers to victory on their home floor resulting in snapping the team’s eight-game skid.

Following his breakout performance against the Nets, Russell spoke to the media in a Kobe Bryant-like press conference.

The Ohio State product made it a clear that scoring a lot of points or setting records isn’t the reason he plays the game via Greg Beacham of The Associated Press:

D'Angelo: "I don't play for records or statistics. Tonight was just my night, and it just shows what we're capable of."

Before torching the Nets for 39 points, Russell had yet to crack the 30-point mark in his NBA career. D’Angelo’s previous career-high came back in January when the rookie scored 27 points against the division rival Sacramento Kings on the road.

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:11 am    Post subject:

D’Angelo Russell Joins Elite Company With 39 Point Outing
by Eric Yee - lakeshowlife.com

D’Angelo Russell gave Lakers fans quite a show Tuesday night, dropping 39 points on the helpless Brooklyn Nets

Just two months ago, D’Angelo Russell had his best performance ever scoring 29 points against the Sacramento Kings, leading the team all the way back from a 30 point deficit only to get hurt in the closing minutes of the game.

Despite losing the contest, Russell had a simple message for fans: “Y’all ain’t seen nothing yet.”

With that in mind, D’Angelo Russell made good on his word Tuesday night as he broke a multitude of NBA and Lakers’ records alike.

Scoring a career high 39 points in a victory over the Brooklyn Nets, Russell notched the most points by a rookie this season, a record that was previously held by Karl-Anthony Towns who scored 35.

In addition to breaking this year’s rookie scoring record, he also joined an elite company of players this season: those who have managed to score 39 or more points on 21 or less shot attempts.

So... Players to score 39+ on 21 or less shots this season:

CP3
Curry
Redick
George
Harden
Lowry
Klay
Westbrook

And now D'Angelo Russell.

But that’s not all, Russell also joined Jahlil Okafor as the only rookie this year to have three consecutive games with 20 points or more, on top of joining the likes of sharp shooters Ray Allen, Tracy McGrady and Steve Nash to name a few, as players with eight three pointers in a game.

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:17 am    Post subject:

TDIKH: March 2, 2008
by nba.com

When the Lakers needed him in the fourth quarter, Kobe Bryant scored and scored and didn’t stop.

The reigning scoring champion provided all of the Lakers final 14 points of regulation and then added eight more in overtime to propel them past Dallas, 108-104.

Bryant racked up 52 points by shooing 15-of-27 from the field and 20-of-27 from the free throw line, while still finding time to grab 11 rebounds.

“We gave him a single look, then we double-teamed him, then we gave him a triple-team, and he split the triple-team and scored,” Dallas coach Avery Johnson told the media. “We tried to zone him. We tried to funnel him in the trap for a zone and he went the other way. He didn’t cooperate on any of our defenses.”

Dallas led by six halfway through the fourth when Bryant scored nine points in the Lakers’ ensuing 11-2 run.

Though Bryant erupted for 22 points in the fourth quarter alone, Dirk Nowitzki — who finished with 30 point and 13 rebounds — hit a 3-pointer with 2.0 seconds left to force overtime.

But Bryant kept the hot hand going in the extra period, supplying eight of his team’s 15 points.

Despite Bryant, Nowitzki and Pau Gasol (17 points, 14 rebounds) all having strong nights, both teams struggled offensively.

Los Angeles shot just 37.9 percent, but Dallas was even worse at 36.9 percent.

Though L.A. took 16 fewer shots and hit six fewer 3’s, it used a 37-17 advantage in made free throws to down the Mavs.

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:53 am    Post subject:

bump to next page
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11
Jump to: