September 29th: "Lakers’ Odom mourns death of infant son"

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: September 29th: "Lakers’ Odom mourns death of infant son"

Lakers’ Odom mourns death of infant son
Forward ‘feels lost’, tries to stay strong for two other children

Reed Saxon / AP
On Thursday, Los Angeles Lakers basketball standout Lamar Odom speaks publicly for the first time since his infant son died three months ago, apparently suffocating while sleeping in his crib.

Updated: 4:16 p.m. PT Sept 28, 2006
EL SEGUNDO, Calif. - Lamar Odom, carrying a bible and without his usual smile, spoke somberly Thursday regarding the sudden death of his 6½-month-old son three months ago, saying he needed to be strong for his other children.

“I feel a little lost at times. God is keeping me strong,” Odom told reporters Thursday at the Los Angeles Lakers’ training camp in his first public comments since Jayden Odom suffocated in his crib and died June 28.

“Sometimes, I need to be by myself, whether it’s a week or two weeks,” he said. “My family has been understanding. There was a time when I thought basketball wasn’t going to be able to heal the wound.”
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:38 am    Post subject:

Loss of Son Jolts Odom

Seven-month-old died in his crib, the latest misfortune for Lakers forward, who was also mugged at gunpoint over the summer.
By Mike Bresnahan, Times Staff Writer
September 29, 2006

Lamar Odom sat down, placed his Bible on a table and, with damp eyes, told the story of his summer.

His infant son died while sleeping in a crib, a loss that has tugged at him since it happened in June.

The autopsy report labeled it an "unremarkable" death, a seven-month-old's life snatched by sudden infant death syndrome, the latest in a line of losses traceable through Odom's years.

Odom was in New York for the funeral of an aunt when Jayden Odom died.

Odom used to remember June 28 as the date of his grandmother's death. His son died the same day, a few years later, at Odom's home in Atlantic Beach, N.Y. Attempts to revive him at a nearby hospital were unsuccessful.

"He was gone already," Odom said Thursday. "I thought they were close to getting him to breathe again. That wasn't the case. I stayed with him for hours and hours after that, just holding him, talking to him."
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:39 am    Post subject:

Odom is still trying to find way

Death of infant son has Laker star's life at a crossroads.
By Ross Siler, Staff writer

EL SEGUNDO - By his own admission, Lamar Odom has no way of knowing where his emotions will be when he plays the most meaningful game of his life on Dec. 15.
On what would have been his son Jayden's first birthday, Odom will find himself on the basketball court playing for the Lakers against the Houston Rockets at Staples Center.

"I might shoot it from half-court," Odom said, "just to see if he's with me that night."

Three months have passed since 6 1/2 month-old Jayden Joseph Odom died without warning, apparently suffocating in his crib while sleeping. The days since have not gotten any easier for the Lakers forward, who spoke Thursday about the tragedy.

Odom walked into a room full of reporters carrying a Bible and wearing a T-shirt with a face of Jesus Christ that he commissioned an artist to design. Through the worst time of his life, Odom has tried to find strength in religion.

"I feel a little lost sometimes," Odom said, "but God right now is keeping me strong."
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:41 am    Post subject:

Odom will play with a heavy heart this season

By David Lassen, dlassen [ at ] VenturaCountyStar.com
September 29, 2006

This is real life. This was real pain.

They have a way of intruding, quite often, on the world where bats and balls and final scores seem important — a place where life-and-death analogies are tossed around until real life and death underline the absurdity of such notions.

Lamar Odom has spent the summer in the real world. He's about to make the transition back to the other one. With any luck, it might help him deal with the real pain of real life. And real loss.

Odom's 8-month-old son Jayden died in late June while sleeping in his crib at his family's New York home. Understandably, that loss is still with him every moment. But now, with the approach of another NBA season weeks away, the 26-year-old is hoping training camp and the Lakers' 2006-07 season might provide some refuge, some help in going forward.

"There was a time when I didn't think basketball was going to be able to heal this wound," said Odom, speaking softly and slowly at a small Thursday afternoon news conference to address his situation before getting on with the business of basketball.
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:43 am    Post subject:

Somber Odom tries to carry on

Lakers forward speaks publicly for the first time since his infant son, Jayden, died in his crib on June 28.
By John Nadel
The Associated Press

Lamar Odom, carrying a bible and without his usual smile, spoke somberly Thursday regarding the sudden death of his 6½-month-old son three months ago, saying he needed to be strong for his other children.

"I feel a little lost at times. God is keeping me strong," Odom told reporters at the Lakers' training camp in El Segundo in his first public comments since Jayden Odom suffocated in his crib and died June 28.

"Sometimes, I need to be by myself, whether it's a week or two weeks," he said. "My family has been understanding. There was a time when I thought basketball wasn't going to be able to heal the wound."
dnd4ever
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject:

As a S.I.D.S. parent I very disappointed in the equating of suffocation and S.I.D.S. they are very different and one should not imply that they are the same. this causes much pain and suffering to real S.I.D.S. parents and families when somebody post miss information on a news board.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: