Adam Silver: Sponsor Logos Likely in 5 Years
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject:

And yet, most of the owners will still cry poor after the fact.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
The day NBA players have to wear KY Jelly adds on their shorts...

It brings up an interesting question of whether the league or the teams get a say about sponsorships.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject:

http://thebrokenchair.com/images/bad-news-bears-cap1.jpg
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
The day NBA players have to wear KY Jelly adds on their shorts...

It brings up an interesting question of whether the league or the teams get a say about sponsorships.

I sure hope the Lakers do. It'd actually be pretty awesome of the whole league turned itself into a walking billboard but the Lakers refused.

If the NBA forces this thing on teams, I'd love it if the Lakers would just buy their own sponsorship and put a blank gold patch where the ads should go.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
should not really be a big deal... nothing wrong with it...
I look forward to the Nets wearing trojan ads on the jerseys....

It might not be the end of the world or anything, but there IS something wrong with it. I know the NBA is a business, but it was a lot cooler when it used to pretend it was mainly a basketball league.

Letting some corporation buy its way onto a uniform it has literally nothing to do with is just wrong. If the league were going under and there were no other way, then sure, but this is just a cash grab.

And as always, its us fans that are volunteered to sacrifice. "Need more money, Dan Gilbert? No problem, we'll just cram a few more Burger King ads down our fans' throats - and they'll take it and like it."
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject:

SlickVic wrote:
Quote:
The current idea for the NBA is to allow a single patch for each team. Each sponsor patch would be 2½ inches by 2½ inches.

If that's all it is I'd probably be okay with it. What I find tacky are the Euro Soccer jerseys with the huge corporate logos on the chest that are 50 times bigger than the actual team logo on the jersey. But at the same time, I understand why they do it there. Compare to US Pro Sports, Euro Soccer has significantly less breaks for commercials, so the marketing and ads have to be prominent during the game. That means big corporate logos on player's jerseys and hundreds of ad banners surrounding the field.

Nailed it. No reason for the NBA to double-dip with jersey ads when it already enjoys a source of revenue - multiple commercial breaks per quarter, not to mention about 10 minutes of ads during your average halftime break - that soccer doesn't.

Quote:

My hope is the NBA doesn't come to the point of huge sponsor logos take over the spot where team logos are currently on the jersey. Because I certainly don't expect the NBA will be dialing down on their existing revenue sources (i.e. commercials and more commercials) anytime soon.

And that's exactly what will happen if Pandora's box is opened. There's zero chance that the same dudes who thought it would be alright to put a Bank of America patch on a Laker jersey would stop at an even bigger logo (and more money) for any reason.

The 2x2 patches are just to get us all lubed up for the day when the league can really make some money. An ad where the Laker logo was, one on the stomach, one below the number on the back, small ads inside the numbers.

On the bright side, I'm sure all this extra revenue will lead to cheaper tickets...
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject:

VegasLakerFan wrote:
Drifts wrote:

It might not be the end of the world or anything, but there IS something wrong with it. I know the NBA is a business, but it was a lot cooler when it used to pretend it was mainly a basketball league.

Letting some corporation buy its way onto a uniform it has literally nothing to do with is just wrong. If the league were going under and there were no other way, then sure, but this is just a cash grab.

And as always, its us fans that are volunteered to sacrifice. "Need more money, Dan Gilbert? No problem, we'll just cram a few more Burger King ads down our fans' throats - and they'll take it and like it."

Yeah, you have to draw a line somewhere....theres already tons of corporate advertising at the arenas, billboards, and most recently even ads on the side of the backboard. At some point they might as well just rename the teams to represent a corporation if they are intent on making the companies presence bigger than the teams.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject:

Commissioner Adam Silver: NBA will consider shelving sleeved jerseys after this season

Quote:
"Ultimately, if the players don't like them, we'll move on to something else," Silver told Bleacher Report. "I don't regret doing it for this season. But it's intended to be something fun for the fans and the players. And if it becomes a serious issue, as to whether players should be wearing sleeves, we'll likely move onto other things." [...]

LINK

Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
Commissioner Adam Silver: NBA will consider shelving sleeved jerseys after this season

Quote:
"Ultimately, if the players don't like them, we'll move on to something else," Silver told Bleacher Report. "I don't regret doing it for this season. But it's intended to be something fun for the fans and the players. And if it becomes a serious issue, as to whether players should be wearing sleeves, we'll likely move onto other things." [...]

LINK

PRAISE BASED JESUS
pickleweed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:

Quote:

LINK

In related news

"Sponsors unhappy with proposed size and location of advertisements designed to be on the sleeves of the newly styled NBA jerseys. "Players are moving their arms up and down too much for proper visibility" says one representative with knowledge of the proposed patches. "Ideally, we'd love to have them in a more prominent location. Like where the team name currently is." NBA Commissioner Adam silver declined to comment.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:18 am    Post subject:

pickleweed wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:

Quote:

LINK

In related news

"Sponsors unhappy with proposed size and location of advertisements designed to be on the sleeves of the newly styled NBA jerseys. "Players are moving their arms up and down too much for proper visibility" says one representative with knowledge of the proposed patches. "Ideally, we'd love to have them in a more prominent location. Like where the team name currently is." NBA Commissioner Adam silver declined to comment.

That's stage two. Silver figures if he's sneaky about it, he'll eventually get to give uniforms the NASCAR treatment. Can't do it all at once - people might actually notice.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject:

VegasLakerFan wrote:
Drifts wrote:

I still fail to see where it is wrong... it is a cash crab plain and simple, and that's the part where we talk of the business side of the NBA, more than a basketball league.

and you don't have to wait until the league goes under to do this kind of thing.

also, I don't get where fans have to sacrifice for this thing? what will fans sacrifice, specifically?
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:53 am    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:
Drifts wrote:

I still fail to see where it is wrong... it is a cash crab plain and simple, and that's the part where we talk of the business side of the NBA, more than a basketball league.

It's wrong because sports franchises are not just regular businesses, but civic institutions as well. They use our names and represent our cities - it isn't the Buss Family Lakers, its the LOS ANGELES Lakers. They use images and icons of their cities in their marketing, they use public funds to build stadiums, rely on our viewship to land enormous TV deals, and now they want to sell the space on uniforms - next to the names of our cities - without giving anything back. Any of that new revenue stream going back to the fans? Cheaper tickets? Are they going to stop taking money from the public to build privately-owned arenas now they they have a little extra coin? What do WE get? We're the entire reason the league even exists.

Quote:

also, I don't get where fans have to sacrifice for this thing? what will fans sacrifice, specifically?

Every time you watch an advertisement you're sacrificing, otherwise companies wouldn't have to pay for the right to do it. They're paying for your attention - your time (time=money), your mental "hard drive" space. You don't choose to watch an ad, companies buy the right to wave their logo in front of you.

That's cool, as long as everything is on the up and up.

Think about old time radio - someone's gotta pay the actors, pay for the studio space, etc. Programs came over the air free for the listeners, so the only way for anyone to get paid was to sell advertising time. Fair deal.

To apply "sponsorship" to a fully-functional operation like the NBA is just disingenuous. The programming already isn't free - cable bill, internet bill, league-pass fee, etc. - and we're already subjected to advertising on top of money we pay upfront for the content. And now we're going to be subjected to even more advertising, with nothing coming in return. The companies are paying the NBA for our attention. What do we get? It's the same product, same prices (think tickets will go down?) and now we're experiencing a "deeper integration" with the NBA's "sponsors." Wonderful.

It's not illegal-wrong, it's just wrong-wrong.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:39 am    Post subject:

VegasLakerFan wrote:
Drifts wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:
Drifts wrote:

It's wrong because sports franchises are not just regular businesses, but civic institutions as well. They use our names and represent our cities - it isn't the Buss Family Lakers, its the LOS ANGELES Lakers. They use images and icons of their cities in their marketing, they use public funds to build stadiums, rely on our viewship to land enormous TV deals, and now they want to sell the space on uniforms - next to the names of our cities - without giving anything back. Any of that new revenue stream going back to the fans? Cheaper tickets? Are they going to stop taking money from the public to build privately-owned arenas now they they have a little extra coin? What do WE get? We're the entire reason the league even exists.

you don't get anything... why should you get anything? don't be selfish.
it's just a 2.5 square inch ad... there is absolutely nothing to complain about. stop whining just for the sake of whining.

Quote:

Quote:

Every time you watch an advertisement you're sacrificing, otherwise companies wouldn't have to pay for the right to do it. They're paying for your attention - your time (time=money), your mental "hard drive" space. You don't choose to watch an ad, companies buy the right to wave their logo in front of you.

Think about old time radio - someone's gotta pay the actors, pay for the studio space, etc. Programs came over the air free for the listeners, so the only way for anyone to get paid was to sell advertising time. Fair deal.

To apply "sponsorship" to a fully-functional operation like the NBA is just disingenuous. The programming already isn't free - cable bill, internet bill, league-pass fee, etc. - and we're already subjected to advertising on top of money we pay upfront for the content. And now we're going to be subjected to even more advertising, with nothing coming in return. The companies are paying the NBA for our attention. What do we get? It's the same product, same prices (think tickets will go down?) and now we're experiencing a "deeper integration" with the NBA's "sponsors." Wonderful.

wow.. LOL... sacrifice for a 2.5 square inch ad? you make it sound like you are actually sacrificing something... you are not sacrificing anything. the NBA will put ads in jerseys, life goes on. that's it.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:
Drifts wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:
Drifts wrote:

you don't get anything... why should you get anything? don't be selfish.

Did you have a straight face when you typed that? A bunch of millionaires and billionaires are selling our teams' jerseys to make a few extra bucks and I'm being selfish? We - not I - should get something in return because it's our eyeballs the NBA is selling. Why would any company pay for sponsorship if we weren't watching?

Quote:

it's just a 2.5 square inch ad... there is absolutely nothing to complain about. stop whining just for the sake of whining.

I thought I made some pretty compelling points up there. If you disagree and don't find my arguments compelling, then explain why. That's what a discussion is. If your only contribution is "stop whining" then why even bother to post?
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

wow.. LOL... sacrifice for a 2.5 square inch ad? you make it sound like you are actually sacrificing something... you are not sacrificing anything. the NBA will put ads in jerseys, life goes on. that's it.

Again, there where some pretty compelling points up there - for example, the bit about old time radio and sponsorship. Any thoughts on that?

If you're just going to say "no, it's not what you said it's the other way" then you're not really discussing anything. Cheers.

Btw - the 2.5 square inch patch is the warm up. If Silver figures that most fans rationalize adcreep as "just this" or "just that" we'll start seeing bigger patches, then more of them, and then full-blown soccer-style sponsorship. Look at what's happened to in-arena advertisement.

If you're cool with that, fine - not everyone has to agree with me - but I'm not, and I'm going to write letters, comment on articles, etc. to find out if enough people feel like I do to make a difference. If not, then so be it.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/04/12/report-nba-expected-approve-advertising-on-jerseys/

Quote:
Report: NBA expected to approve advertising on jerseys

Adam Silver has repeatedly called advertising on NBA jerseys inevitable.

Now – after facing numerous obstacles – the commissioner is on the verge of being proven correct.

Brian Windhorst and Darren Rovell of ESPN:

NBA owners are scheduled to vote this week on putting ads on jerseys for the 2017-18 season, multiple sources told ESPN.

The measure is expected to pass, according to sources. Several teams have begun testing the market to sell the potentially lucrative ads, which would be placed in a 2.5-by-2.5-inch patch on the left shoulder.

The initial proposal to owners was for teams to keep 50 percent of the sponsorship money from the jersey ads and for 50 percent to be added to the revenue-sharing pool for all teams.

The NBA recently signed new national television and apparel deals where the ads were part of the negotiations. In 2017, Nike will take over from Adidas as the league’s uniform provider when the ads are expected to debut.

Like most, I don’t like the idea of advertising on NBA jerseys – or advertising creeping into any facet of my life. But the NBA should not operate based on my comfort. The NBA is a business that should attempt to maximize profit, which also benefits players thanks to their salaries being tied to revenue.

That doesn’t necessarily make these ads wise, though.

Will the ads diminish the prestige of the NBA? Will the ads cause fans to buy fewer jerseys? Will potential sponsors pay teams’ asking price for the ads? Will sponsors spend new money on the ads rather than diverting money already spent on the NBA?

These are practical, not philosophical, concerns.

If NBA teams feel they have found suitable answers to those questions, more power to them.

There’s also the issue of how they split up their money, but a 50-50 split – after the players’ cut, I presume – between keeping and sharing seems reasonable.

That said, the measure hasn’t officially passed. Lottery reform looked inevitable until enough owners reversed course late in the process to vote it down. If anyone has reservations about jersey advertising – or, more likely, this specific plan for jersey advertising – now is the time to convince owners.

But as Silver has said, it seems inevitable.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject:

Please don't
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject:

As long as they provide a list of each company advertising on jerseys so I can boycott them all.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
As long as they provide a list of each company advertising on jerseys so I can boycott them all.

This.

Seriously, is there any evidence that putting their horrible branding all over jerseys actually increases revenue for the advertisers? It seems like wasted money for an eyesore.
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject:

I'm not for this. Having our jerseys clean and uncluttered was what I liked about NA sports jerseys.

I know it is just a patch, but it just opens up a big way to put two patches or a bigger one, and so forth.

One day the Lakers logo gets shrunk and In and Out becomes the look like the jerseys like in football clubs.

*bleah*

Bye.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject:

One step closer to our team being called Los Angeles Taco Bell''s

(Commentator): Tonight, the Oklahoma City TGIFridays square off against the Cleveland First Liberty Bank's.
It's the NBA on TNT! ... Brought to you by Now That's What I Call Music Volume 632
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject:

VegasLakerFan wrote:
It's wrong because sports franchises are not just regular businesses, but civic institutions as well. They use our names and represent our cities - it isn't the Buss Family Lakers, its the LOS ANGELES Lakers.

And they play in an arena called Staples.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:
It's wrong because sports franchises are not just regular businesses, but civic institutions as well. They use our names and represent our cities - it isn't the Buss Family Lakers, its the LOS ANGELES Lakers.

And that arena has ads on the court, banner ads along the sidelines, banner ads in the rafters, ads on the scoreboard, and ads all over the lobby and concourse. If you watch the game on TV there are commercial breaks featuring ads, and that's when you're not watching the Jack in the Box Halftime Report and the Subway Sub of the Game. I don't think it's a lot to ask to keep the jerseys unmolested.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject:

The NBA is about to go through a period of sucking. Kobe retiring, Duncan will soon. There are only a few teams worth watching, they need to get rid of some. They play much too soft, too many cheap fouls. No rivalries. For the most part, it's just getting more and more boring.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
activeverb wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:

And that arena has ads on the court, banner ads along the sidelines, banner ads in the rafters, ads on the scoreboard, and ads all over the lobby and concourse. If you watch the game on TV there are commercial breaks featuring ads, and that's when you're not watching the Jack in the Box Halftime Report and the Subway Sub of the Game. I don't think it's a lot to ask to keep the jerseys unmolested.

Nailed it. I don't know why some people feel the need to shill for the big boys.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: