Anyone Else Starting To Forget What A Winning Lakers Team Looked Like?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:59 am    Post subject:

No.
Lakers - as a fan of them - have given me so many memories and moments that they can lose every single game for the next decade and I'd still have a strong recollection and understanding of what a winning Lakers team looks like.

There have been some moves that are mistakes, topped off with a tanking strategy that I think many people here support (Who now whine at how bad the team is) that has led to Russ/Randle. In the end this is what happens when you lose out on free agents like Howard/Gasol, Melo etc. and your own prized franchise player can't play at his level and then retires.

It's taking way too long for Laker standards, but other franchises go through this lots of times. I guess it's not as hard for me because a few years ago I figured the Lakers had become more of an average NBA team vs the elite franchise they once were with Dr Buss as owner, Phil as coach, and Mitch as the GM. The set up is just different now. We don't have the front office and coaching, nor do we have the all time great in his prime. It's a very very different situation. Getting back into the playoffs will likely take another 2 seasons.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:08 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
I don't think people would be complaining about 6 years if this were a playoff team on the upswing. If it's been 6 years since the last title and now you're at 17 wins, maybe it's time to complain?

And possibly bringing back the architect of said 17 win season for another meaningless and lame duck year while the Buss kids publicly squabble.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:09 am    Post subject:

While I appreciate patience, I certainly hope the Lakers owners/FO aren't taking their fanbase for granted.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:26 am    Post subject:

Chad09 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
The last memories of the lakers being on top is game 7 from 2010. Crazy how far we are from that mountain top.

6 years isn't even that long. Shows how spoiled the Lakers franchise have made it for the fans. The gap between the last Showtime Lakers championship and the Shaq-Kobe championship was 12 years.....
Heck, lets look at the Warriors, they had a 40 year gap between championships.

Bulls going on 18 years.

I always acknowledge and recognize the extreme difficulty to maintain a championship level type team. That is why we are in big trouble.

When the FO made decisions which basically led to slow demise of this team with the hiring of Mike Brown, other bad coaching hires., poor trades, etc, it started the slow and progressive declined of this franchise.

Remember Rome was not destroyed in one day. Neither was the Lakers.

It has been a myriad of decisions by the FO is why we went from a contender to a lottery type team.

I know Scott is a terrible coach but he is simply a result of the poor decisions making within the FO.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:27 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
While I appreciate patience, I certainly hope the Lakers owners/FO aren't taking their fanbase for granted.

They are not but they are simply over their head.

Their job just got more difficult with the retiring of KB.
Wildchild027
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:37 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

I doubt it. One of their sell pitches is the great fans. That's why they won't wait 4 years to get this thing rolling.

To be honest, I think we just want to see the plan they have for next season.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Well Jeanie quite obviously is
japanesebeef1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject:

pkflyers wrote:
tox wrote:
I don't think people would be complaining about 6 years if this were a playoff team on the upswing. If it's been 6 years since the last title and now you're at 17 wins, maybe it's time to complain?

Bingo

Complaining - acceptable, commendable, accurate

Chicken Little Constant Whining - boring, annoying, shortsighted, public, personal catharsis, with no value.

I'm tired of it all. Lakersground patrons find ways to turn every comment, every thread into a dumping ground for repetitive and angry posts about pet complaints. Then if that's not enough, they create more threads for no reason except to cry about their personal pain caused by this franchise that has brought so much joy over the years.

It's like someone who lives in a beautiful home complaining that dinner is an hour late. I understand the complaint. But to whine on and on and on . . .

I'll keep checking in on LG every day, for news, and views. But my spirit feels pretty broken when the majority of my compadres spend most of their time belching bile and hate and anger and despair.

I enjoy . . . ideas, memories, information, new thoughts, evaluation based on reason. Hard to find these days.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject:

japanesebeef1 wrote:
pkflyers wrote:
tox wrote:

Bingo

Chicken Little Constant Whining - boring, annoying, shortsighted, public, personal catharsis, with no value.

I'm tired of it all. Lakersground patrons find ways to turn every comment, every thread into a dumping ground for repetitive and angry posts about pet complaints. Then if that's not enough, they create more threads for no

reason except to cry about their personal pain caused by this franchise that has brought so much joy over the years.

It's like someone who lives in a beautiful home complaining that dinner is an hour late. I understand the complaint. But to whine on and on and on . . .

I'll keep checking in on LG every day, for news, and views. But my spirit feels pretty broken when the majority of my compadres spend most of their time belching bile and hate and anger and despair.

I enjoy . . . ideas, memories, information, new thoughts, evaluation based on reason. Hard to find these days.

Well that's the point. We have a major clog in the drain and everything is backflowing into the house. It's not about dinner arriving late. It's the fact the house that Dr. Buss built is now stained with fecal matter, food rotting in the fridge, etc.

I'm grateful for what Dr. Buss built; I'm sad that his kids seem to be ruining it.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
The last memories of the lakers being on top is game 7 from 2010. Crazy how far we are from that mountain top.

I was actually trying to think of the last truly exciting game before Kobe's finale and I think it's Game 7 of the 2012 Nuggets series. That was an easily forgotten gem of a game. I guess maybe there were a smattering of good gms between 2012-16, but if so, none of them had the pre-game buzz, and all of em were probably because of Kobe himself.

To answer your question as to the state of this franchise....oh, yeah... I wrote an email to the closet thing I could find to a complaint line. I've so rarely written or complained to any business or company for bad service. It takes a LOT to piss me off, I'm easy like Sunday morn. The state we're in now is an offense to the memory of the Hearns, Jerry Sr, and to those who've left (West, etc).
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject:

A lot of us here are long time Lakers fans (since the 1980s for me). And I'm really pissed with the state of the franchise. I completely understand the "cherish what they've DONE" but we should have something to look forward to as well.

I don't see the looking forward to part as of now.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
I WANNA KNOW WHAT WINNING IS!
I WANT YOU TO SHOW MEEEEEEEEE!

I've been WAAAAITING... for a draft pick like you... to come in TOOOO my life!
japanesebeef1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
japanesebeef1 wrote:
pkflyers wrote:
tox wrote:

Bingo

I'm tired of it all. Lakersground patrons find ways to turn every comment, every thread into a dumping ground for repetitive and angry posts about pet complaints. Then if that's not enough, they create more threads for no

reason except to cry about their personal pain caused by this franchise that has brought so much joy over the years.

Well that's the point. We have a major clog in the drain and everything is backflowing into the house. It's not about dinner arriving late. It's the fact the house that Dr. Buss built is now stained with fecal matter, food rotting in the fridge, etc.

I'm grateful for what Dr. Buss built; I'm sad that his kids seem to be ruining it.

My point exactly . . . illustrated well. Nice job.

BTW OP - I've enjoyed many of your posts over the years. It's only this one that really got me going.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
tox wrote:

And possibly bringing back the architect of said 17 win season for another meaningless and lame duck year while the Buss kids publicly squabble.

Exactly. That's what has me the most disgruntled out of anything. I can actually understand the last 3 years; it's just a logical consequence of going all in for Kobe to win his 6th (I supported this) and then trying desperately to pick up assets (done) while giving Kobe a proper sendoff (done) after Kobe tore his Achilles.

But, with Kobe gone, there is no excuse to keep Byron, and there is no excuse for why the roster should be filled with another batch of scrubs to punt salary cap. Full accountability. It's time for the upwards swing, and another year of Byron almost surely precludes that.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject:

japanesebeef1 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
japanesebeef1 wrote:
pkflyers wrote:
tox wrote:

Bingo

My point exactly . . . illustrated well. Nice job.

BTW OP - I've enjoyed many of your posts over the years. It's only this one that really got me going.

Thanks! Yeah. As a lakers fan since the 1980s we are in ugly and unfamiliar territory. And there's no dr buss to guide the team.
LakerEric
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:06 am    Post subject:

japanesebeef1 wrote:
pkflyers wrote:
tox wrote:

Bingo

I'm tired of it all. Lakersground patrons find ways to turn every comment, every thread into a dumping ground for repetitive and angry posts about pet complaints. Then if that's not enough, they create more threads for no reason except to cry about their personal pain caused by this franchise that has brought so much joy over the years.

This looks like a dude in the Lakers front office posting on LG to cherish the freaking past. Dude............
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: