How many of you will be out if Byron is retained?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will Byron's continued employment effect your support of the Lakers?
Yes
30%
 30%  [ 52 ]
No
54%
 54%  [ 92 ]
It already has.
14%
 14%  [ 24 ]
Total Votes : 168

tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Wow you guys are cold...

LAII wrote:
I am a Laker fan for life, and I have had season tickets since 2003 so every disastrous year, barring last year, is uh.. difficult. However, this team the last two years is TERRIBLE.... I mean a dumpster fire, I don't think any coach could have done better, and I am serious. I think people are seriously overrating the talent on these teams. No Kobe, NBA has-been's, and one.. okay... two rookies. I mean talent and experience-wise we deserve our record and to quote Goodfellas "we couldn't do nothing about it." Byron couldn't fix it, no one could.

Byron's job was to be a good soldier and fall on this grenade and get paid. Laker fan's will hate him for awhile, he will get paid, and that is that. We most likely will suck next year, barring a major free agent acquisition, so we might as well let him ride it out until his contract is up. If we get Lebron or KD, and they want a certain coach, then fine. But barring that, wait a year, let him run out his contract, or he "resigns" mid-season when something better comes along.

No one is asking for Byron to make this team into a 60-win contender. They are asking for a coach who does a good job developing the young talent that is on the team, to make them ready to make a jump when the team is ready to contend. Byron does not do that.

All Byron is doing is delaying their development, so that by the time they're all positive contributors, they're no longer on the absurdly cheap rookie deals. For all of Byron's talk about defensive toughness, Clarkson has admitted he has never worked on defense in his career? Who exactly gets the blame there besides the coach? You think Clarkson would be saying that if Thibs were the coach?

I would be fine with Byron being a poor game planner, or robo-subbing, or whatever, if it were clear that the rookies and sophomores were learning modern offensive and defensive fundamentals, but either Byron is focusing on the wrong thing (wind sprints!!) or he is just ineffective. In either case, he is doing a poor job. We can't even properly evaluate if Russell/ Clarkson is a viable backcourt defensively because who knows if both of them can turn into at least average defenders with the proper guidance?
LAII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Wow you guys are cold...

tox wrote:
I would be fine with Byron being a poor game planner, or robo-subbing, or whatever, if it were clear that the rookies and sophomores were learning modern offensive and defensive fundamentals, but either Byron is focusing on the wrong thing (wind sprints!!) or he is just ineffective. In either case, he is doing a poor job. We can't even properly evaluate if Russell/ Clarkson is a viable backcourt defensively because who knows if both of them can turn into at least average defenders with the proper guidance?

Comeon man. That's what all his critics say. Personally, I don't think that's the job of the head coach, more his assistant's. Regardless, we have a pick and we have free agent money, now is not the time to jump on that coaching carousel. All the big FA coaches are gone already, don't change horses just to change them. See what we get in FA with Byron as head coach, and if he does good midway through the season and someone becomes available, replace him, otherwise replace him with his contract is up. Simple. I don't think we will be MUCH better next season either way. I think we are another year away no-matter who coaches, and teams need stability, even if you think the coach is terrible. No vertran's will go to a team that is turning coaches over every 5 minutes, it means they have no plan. See my Raiders or...the Lakers since PJ left. You have to let it play out. Cut Byron midway through his 3rd year if need be, no player will hold it against you, but changes coaches every two years just looks like you don't know what your doing.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Wow you guys are cold...

LAII wrote:
tox wrote:

Comeon man. That's what all his critics say. Personally, I don't think that's the job of the head coach, more his assistant's. Regardless, we have a pick and we have free agent money, now is not the time to jump on that coaching carousel. All the big FA coaches are gone already, don't change horses just to change them. See what we get in FA with Byron as head coach, and if he does good midway through the season and someone becomes available, replace him, otherwise replace him with his contract is up. Simple. I don't think we will be MUCH better next season either way. I think we are another year away no-matter who coaches, and teams need stability, even if you think the coach is terrible. No vertran's will go to a team that is turning coaches over every 5 minutes, it means they have no plan. See my Raiders or...the Lakers since PJ left. You have to let it play out. Cut Byron midway through his 3rd year if need be, no player will hold it against you, but changes coaches every two years just looks like you don't know what your doing.

To the bolded: what kind of argument is that? Maybe his critics say that because it's valid criticism? And considering Byron specifically chooses to hire (bleep) assistants due to his own insecurities about being replaced by a competent associate (maybe he should "man up"?) --- see the coaching staff of Mike Brown vs. now --- the "assistants aren't doing their jobs" isn't much of an excuse. Plus, it's his (bleep) job to be managing his assistants, ultimately the blame needs to go upwards if someone isn't doing his job. And finally, the argument doesn't even make sense: Byron is (should be) the one setting practice schedules and the like and then delegating (bleep) to other coaches; the Clarkson not ever learning defense thing is unforgivable and a direct indictment on Byron's "player development" if you can call it that.

The italicized part is not any sort of argument when it's the Lakers' own damn fault that they're gone. Besides with Luke, JVG, Blatt, Messina plus some other college coaches (Jay Wright, Shaka Smart, Kevin Ollie). Maybe Bud. Plus, frankly anyone is (bleep) better than Byron Scott --- literally. Get a coach for the future and empower him to develop guys. What makes you think the coaching prospects will be better next year? Get the next Brad Stevens, did the Celtics wait until their roster was on the upswing? No. They got their coach and moved on.

To the underlined part: No (bleep) veteran is coming to LA if your head coach is Scott. You can ask LMA: free agents want a basketball vision. How can you share your vision if your current coach is literally the worst coach in NBA, hell maybe in NBA history with a ___ games coached qualifier.

To the last sentence: I don't care if you're replacing coaches every 2 years, trading Byron for Thibs would never give off the perception of "this franchise doesn't know what they are doing." Maybe Thibs doesn't work due to his desire of FO control, but the point stands. Make the right coaching choice for once and this is a total non-issue.

I can't believe anyone---barring Byron, Phil/Jeanie (if the Phil2LA rumors are true and he wants to pick his coach in 2017), and (bleep) future Lakers coach Rambis or Shaw---thinks keeping Byron for this year is a better move for the future. Oh, Celtics fans too I guess.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:30 am    Post subject:

Turning the tv off is actually supporting your team more. Shows ownership fans won't put up with being taken for granted. If you suck that's fine, as long as you're trying your best. The Lakers try to win. That's our legacy and that's the covenant that makes the relationship the fans have with the team special.

The twins aren't holding up their end.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:06 am    Post subject:

Lakersground in the event that Byron is retained:

Math
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:20 am    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Turning the tv off is actually supporting your team more. Shows ownership fans won't put up with being taken for granted. If you suck that's fine, as long as you're trying your best. The Lakers try to win. That's our legacy and that's the covenant that makes the relationship the fans have with the team special.

The twins aren't holding up their end.

Exactly. Some people seem to think not watching and being a fan are mutually exclusive. They're not. Just like protesting doesn't mean you're not a patriot. Many times it's exactly what makes you one.
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:02 am    Post subject:

Retaining Scott would be such a gross act of negligence and incompetence that a boycott would be warranted. I'd still watch just to see the development of the young guys, but I wouldn't blame those who say enough is enough.
Math
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:09 am    Post subject:

Yeah, if he stays it becomes immediately clear that he's not the biggest problem we have.
Cochese
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject:

I'll watch in good times and bad...but these are dark days.
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject:

Logged on just to say Lakers FOR LIFE!

Even if Jim Buss and Byron is around for the next 49 years. But seriously please God no.

Replace Jim with Phil and Byron with anybody lol

aka ILLWiLL20

R.I.P PHIL
Lakerz113
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject:

KingKobe20 wrote:
Logged on just to say Lakers FOR LIFE!

Even if Jim Buss and Byron is around for the next 49 years. But seriously please God no.

Replace Jim with Phil and Byron with anybody lol

I will always respect Phil but I'm not sure I want him and the triangle back
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject:

This coaching fiasco has made me keep my wallet out of the Lakers organization.

I know it's a matter of time but I'm not investing in BS's salary, that's for sure... It's my personal little rant, lol...
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:02 pm    Post subject:

Was a Laker fan since West, Goodrich, Chamberlain, Baylor and Hairston. Will always be a Laker fan and root for the team. Just may not watch the games.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:36 am    Post subject:

Laker7 wrote:
Was a Laker fan since West, Goodrich, Chamberlain, Baylor and Hairston. Will always be a Laker fan and root for the team. Just may not watch the games.

Our Lakers love affair began about the same time. I may have seen Elgin play one or two times before he retired that year. What happened to my boy, number 5, Jim McMillan?
jjangx27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:43 am    Post subject:

will always be a fan....but byron (along with numerous other things) is really making it weary to be a Lakers fan
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject:

Will it affect my support versus will it stop my support are two very different things. I'll continue to log into LG but be more selective. I'm not really interested in the (bleep)-fest (a justifiable (bleep)-fest but a (bleep)-fest nonetheless) that will ensue if I don't feel he's worthy of any emotional investment.

I probably won't subscribe to the entire annual League Pass but will probably drop the $5-6 on occasional games.
Shaolin's Finest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Laker fan for life, I will never root for another team. However, if Byron returns my interest will significantly wane. May catch a game here and there and follow box scores, come on LG, but it won't be a priority for me or something I'd really look forward to. I realized this season that tuning in only to get confused and angry at Byron's ineptitude was not worth it. This should be fun and Byron's sucked all of the fun out of the season for me. Not gonna force myself to watch games next year only to torture myself like I did a couple of times this season just to catch Kobe's finals games. Good riddance Byron...
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject:

This poll is sad to me. It's like we're not on a Lakers board. The bottom line is that true Lakers fans will be supportive of the organization, regardless of who comes in or goes. While I was a supporter of Byron and never felt he was hired to put a competitive team together, to help the Lakers win, I understand where people feel like he didn't develop the kids enough. At the end of the day, I won't really care if the kids are being developed, if the team is still losing! So many feel that if the kids were "played more" or "developed more," that it would translate to wins. I honestly don't see it that way. I don't see the desire of the kids wanting to go to battle and scrap for wins, which is the effort that would have been required to win. Only way I'll ever be "out" as a Lakers fan...is never. Even if Jim Buss stays on and turns the Lakers into what the Clippers used to be, I'll still be in. I can't say I'd be a happy Lakers fan, but there'll never be a reason for me to jump ship. And anybody that would jump ship because of that, especially considering that Byron is a diehard/life long Lakers...you're not TRUE fans and obviously don't understand the meaning behind the Lakers and all the rest.

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject:

deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty wrote:
This poll is sad to me. It's like we're not on a Lakers board. The bottom line is that true Lakers fans will be supportive of the organization, regardless of who comes in or goes. While I was a supporter of Byron and never felt he was hired to put a competitive team together, to help the Lakers win, I understand where people feel like he didn't develop the kids enough. At the end of the day, I won't really care if the kids are being developed, if the team is still losing! So many feel that if the kids were "played more" or "developed more," that it would translate to wins. I honestly don't see it that way. I don't see the desire of the kids wanting to go to battle and scrap for wins, which is the effort that would have been required to win. Only way I'll ever be "out" as a Lakers fan...is never. Even if Jim Buss stays on and turns the Lakers into what the Clippers used to be, I'll still be in. I can't say I'd be a happy Lakers fan, but there'll never be a reason for me to jump ship. And anybody that would jump ship because of that, especially considering that Byron is a diehard/life long Lakers...you're not TRUE fans and obviously don't understand the meaning behind the Lakers and all the rest.

I would have followed the Lakers from afar but would not have put my wallet into a BS lead team. He's not a leader, he did not teach.

But the FO pulled the right move and I have my agency closing some deals this week, I guess I believe again, so I'm screwed $$$ lol...
jjangx27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject:

LOCK IT UP!!!
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject:

In B4 the !
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject:

Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6
Jump to: