Is Kevin Ollie over rated as a coach?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Is Kevin Ollie over rated as a coach?

2012–13 Connecticut 20–10 Ineligible

2013–14 Connecticut 32–8 NCAA Champions

2014–15 Connecticut 20–15 NIT First Round

2015–16 Connecticut 25–11 NCAA Second Round

That second season, I am betting he still had recruits from Calhoun, who he took over for.

Since then, missed the real playoffs, losing in first round of the consolation tournament and then ONLY a second round advancement.

Hmmmm, not really marquee results for such a great institution.

There must be some other stuff about this guy, that makes everyone consider him so great?????

What is it?
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject:

Fair question. I just mentioned in another thread that Ollie had some recruitment problems, which are attributable to the recent results. That's why the aura he's being given as someone who'll attract NBA stars might be questionable.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Kevin Ollie over rated as a coach?

Wino wrote:

That second season, I am betting he still had recruits from Calhoun, who he took over for.

Since then, missed the real playoffs, losing in first round of the consolation tournament and then ONLY a second round advancement.

There must be some other stuff about this guy, that makes everyone consider him so great?????

What is it?

He won an NCAA championship and some believe his relationship with Kevin Durant, who he played with, will be an asset in recruiting Durant as a free agent.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject:

How is he rated? Answer that and then we can answer if he is over rated. He is a good college coach.
miamichico305
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject:

I think Luke is overrated, would people be this high on Luke if Kerr didn't have back surgery.. I prefer Ollie over Luke.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject:

From my uneducated opinion Luke > Ollie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject:

miamichico305 wrote:
I think Luke is overrated, would people be this high on Luke if Kerr didn't have back surgery.. I prefer Ollie over Luke.

People were mentioning Luke as a potential coaching prospect at least a year ago. I know I was just because of what I had heard about his time working with Phil when he was injured, working as an assistant with U of Memphis during the lockout, his time with our D-League team and then landing a spot on Kerr's staff (who selected an excellent staff). His stint as interim coach may have added hype and accelerated the process but he's been seen as a future head coach for some time. And the fact that Kerr selected him as lead assistant at 35/36 attests to that as well.

This isn't to say preferring Ollie to Luke is wrong. It isn't. But people aren't only reacting to the interim stint. He's put in a decent amount of time for someone his age and is highly regarded by many coaches for his IQ.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Kevin Ollie over rated as a coach?

Wino wrote:

What is it?

Coach K has won 5 in 36 yrs with all his built in advantages. What makes him great? Ollie has won one in his brief time. How many can even say they won one ncaa title?
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject:

miamichico305 wrote:

But what about Ollie is it that you really like?

Is he going to be especially good with the back court or the front court?

What are his strengths and weakness'?

AS far as hype goes, he took over one of the best college programs in the country, had one great season but then has kind of under achieved. Seems like he has not really had a chance to rebuild that program in his image.

I see that Connecticut fans really like him, so they must have their reasons. Hmmmm
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Kevin Ollie over rated as a coach?

Runway8 wrote:
Wino wrote:

What is it?

Coach K has won 5 in 36 yrs with all his built in advantages. What makes him great? Ollie has won one in his brief time. How many can even say they won one ncaa title?

True, and I am not trying to disrespect him. But he walked into that program, with it in very good shape by Calhoun. He had very good players to coach.

Just not sure why everyone thinks he is really so great. Not saying he's not, just want to hear why he is!?!?
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Kevin Ollie over rated as a coach?

Wino wrote:

What is it?

I honestly think people only want him cause they hope Durant would be stupid enough to chase a coach here as opposed to going to the best team for him that gives him a best chance of winning. Same backwards reason they wanted Brooks despite his red flags as well.

Not really all for that kind of mentality imo. We should never hire someone because we "think" that some superstar is gonna chase them here, when the reality is a superstar is chasing nothing here till we're not an 18 win team.

If you were to ask for an actual breakdown of what puts Ollie so far ahead of any other candidates aside from the hope that Durant would chase him here you'd most likely get white noise outside of the basic "his players like him.". Which he doesn't have an advantage over the likes of the other coaches out there on.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Kevin Ollie over rated as a coach?

Wino wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
Wino wrote:

What is it?

True, and I am not trying to disrespect him. But he walked into that program, with it in very good shape by Calhoun. He had very good players to coach.

Just not sure why everyone thinks he is really so great. Not saying he's not, just want to hear why he is!?!?

Actually UConn was under NCAA sanctions & several players left when Ollie was coming in (Andre Drummond, Alex Oriakhi, Roscoe Smith and Jeremy Lamb). That's an impressive list.
The cupboard was basically bare.

Plus 4 of the top 5 players from the '14 chip team graduated after that season.

So Ollie has done a good job with what he had to work with and he comes highly recommended from many NBA sources.
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject:

Winning a NCAA title is impressive no matter which way you slice it. That alone warrants a serious discussion. Most importantly, you're truly underestimating how hard of a challenge that is. He took a 7 SEED to win the title against KENTUCKY. I have to emphasize this because there was not a single legit NBA lottery pick on his team. .016% of brackets had UConn playing Kentucky that year.

From a coaching standpoint, I prefer my coaches to be former NBA players. I think from a teaching standpoint it's fairly difficult to connect to NBA players without some experience playing. Obviously, there are outliers.

I look at coaches who establish a winning culture. Numerous NBA players not just Durant have approved of him. He was a gritty player while he played in the NBA. He was a guy who hustled on every player and had to grind out defensive stops. That's a kind of guy I want as my team leader. If you believe a team takes the personality of a coach, that's the personality I want of my Lakers team. Grit not flash. Fundamentals not showmanship.

This is a quote from one of his players. "I mean, he loves us, man," Tor Watts said. "He told us in the beginning of the year that we're going to be here. And we love him. And we love each other. When we have an actual team, you can just do whatever you want on the court and we were able to get here. He's more of a bigger, older father figure than a coach because he just came out of the NBA. He's young, he's energetic. He's able to practice with us. He's able to run hills with us. ... We just try to win for him."

"He's just a great motivator," Giffey said. "Honest person. He's always 100 percent positive, and he believes in me. He does that while being demanding in a way."

Isn't that the kind of coach you want on the Lakers? In my experience, your head coach doesn't need to be an X & O's master. The greatest of coaches have the ability to teach. Phil was never the X & O master. Tex Winter was. Pop has relied on his assistants over the years. Pop's gift is his ability to get players to buy into his system. Kerr has it too. He has players play within the system.

So no I don't think Kevin Ollie is overrated. If he can the Lakers to play the type of basketball where they fight for every possession, where they drop egos and play as a team. We'll be a winning team. He's brimming with intangible winning qualities. That's rare - Point Blank.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell

Last edited by ahaider on Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
miamichico305 wrote:

AS far as hype goes, he took over one of the best college programs in the country, had one great season but then has kind of under achieved. Seems like he has not really had a chance to rebuild that program in his image.

I see that Connecticut fans really like him, so they must have their reasons. Hmmmm

His strength is defense, he has good schemes and gets his players to buy in. Plus he is known as a good communicator.
KobeFace
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject:

miamichico305 wrote:

wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:02 pm    Post subject:

I said in the coaching thread - of the rumored names the guys I am most skeptical about are Ollie and JVG.

The guys I like the most are Walton, Messina and Blatt.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
I said in the coaching thread - of the rumored names the guys I am most skeptical about are Ollie and JVG.

The guys I like the most are Walton, Messina and Blatt.

same. Only quick blurb I've heard Ollie say on his offense is that it's matchup-centric. That's not modern basketball. That could work in college with Boatwright and Napier, but I still didn't like to hear that from Ollie.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Wino wrote:
miamichico305 wrote:

His strength is defense, he has good schemes and gets his players to buy in. Plus he is known as a good communicator.

And how are those things so advanced in comparison to other people on the list? Because you could say that about all the coaches they're eyeing. So what exactly puts Ollie over the top?

But "good communicator" "players buy in" "players like him" etc seems like a standard at least among the top choices the fans are looking at, when I think about it, I don't see what puts Ollie so over the top for people to pick him as ours, outside of the "Durant" connection really.

Is there anything really particularly special about the guys coaching or ability? X's and O's or anything of the sort? Outside of the basic "Players like him and buy in" base which should be consistent with about every coach we're looking at.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject:

KobeFace wrote:
miamichico305 wrote:

Luke took the opportunity that arose in order to showcase himself. Can't fault him for that.

As for Ollie, he is a strong presence that commands respect and will get guys to play their asses off. That's half the battle, and it's something we've lacked since PJax.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:13 pm    Post subject:

He always seems to be linked to our franchise in the rumor mill but...we didn't contact him last time and we haven't contacted him this time. I don't think the Lakers think that highly of him.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Wino wrote:
miamichico305 wrote:

And how are those things so advanced in comparison to other people on the list? Because you could say that about all the coaches they're eyeing. So what exactly puts Ollie over the top?

But "good communicator" "players buy in" "players like him" etc seems like a standard at least among the top choices the fans are looking at, when I think about it, I don't see what puts Ollie so over the top for people to pick him as ours, outside of the "Durant" connection really.

Is there anything really particularly special about the guys coaching or ability? X's and O's or anything of the sort? Outside of the basic "Players like him and buy in" base which should be consistent with about every coach we're looking at.

Well I am not making the decision, so you would have to ask those who are what put him over the top if they select him. I merely listed his strengths. And defense is about 90% getting players to buy in.

Last edited by venturalakersfan on Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject:

Probably is a bit. But he's a great people's person.
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 9:24 pm    Post subject:

When has he been rated. He would be a flier as an nba head coach.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject:

I'll just say that he was not on my top 2 wish list for the Lakers HC job. I had Walton, Messina and Blatt all ahead of him. I wanted Luke the most, because I think he had the most knowledge and experience on how to handle the lakers press and pressure of being the Lakers head coach. I don't think you'll see idiotic statements from Luke, but you could have seen some media wars and other stuff with Blatt/Messina.

Ollie to me wasn't even a consideration outside of the alleged connection he has to Durant.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: