Renewed Optimism.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakers2015
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:45 am    Post subject: Renewed Optimism.

I'm optimistic again. More than I have been in years. I was really terrified of our future. Not the players, but just what looked like incompatence in the front office. Allowing Byron to continue to waste away our youth and they've finally put an end to it. They hired a guy who's gonna develop, who's gonna teach, who's gonna get the most out of this group, teach them how to play unselfish basketball, and is gonna communicate and now just constantly throw them under the bus.

These last three seasons and really four because even though we made the postseason in 2013 it was in many ways a disastrous year saved by Kobe's brilliance. It's been brutal. Year after year seeing the Lakers miss out on the playoffs. Normally a mainstay. Just seemed like we've been continuing to decline and finally it looks like we're on the rise again. This hire tells me they're serious about rebuilding. They wanna get this thing back in the right direction. They've got their coach, their young core, now it's just a matter of starting this process. It'll be a lengthy one, but also a necessary one.

Three or four years from now I think we'll all look back at this day as the start of our reassention to basketball supremacy. Luke is gonna be talked about as the guy who turned the Lakers franchise around and he'll be seen as a hero because of that. D'Angelo and Julius will have developed beautifully and become stars in this league. The days of free agents not wanting to sign with the Lakers will seem like a century ago. I truly believe that.

I've said all along if we play our cards right things can change quickly. The first chip has fallen. We've finally moved on from Kobe. We're not staying in the past anymore. We've hired a modern day coach with a modern day system. Roster needs a lot of work, but we have a lot of money to spend. I fully believe we will get at least one or two really good players. Free agents will see we're dedicated to getting this thing turned around. That we aren't just gonna say oh hey we're the Lakers come sign with us because we actually look like we have a plan now. You can come here play for a great young coach and a great young core and lead them. We also probably will trade the pick for an All Star. I'm almost certain. I think they believe they have enough young talent, but they have to get someone that is a proven commodity at some point who will attract others as well.

Things are looking up. Still a long way to go. This is only the beginning, but I'm excited and optimistic for the first time in a long time. The new era is finally under way. Let's Go Lakers.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:45 am    Post subject:

Gooo lakers!!!
Lakers2015
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
Gooo lakers!!!

greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject:

For the first time in God knows how long, it's rational to be optimistic. No more faking it.

Last edited by greenfrog on Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject:

We really need that pick fam.

!...
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject:

Other than hiring Phil Jackson twice, there hasn't been a single coach pick that Lakers fans have liked in the last 20 years. And truthfully, they've all been pretty disastrous. Luke seems to have most everyone pretty excited.
drew4lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject:

I'm definitely optimistic. Glad to see the Lakers finally land who they wanted most.

They do need to address confidence in upper management next, either through a united front or bringing in a respected NBA exec to provide stability.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject:

The energy on every Lakers forum and website I frequent is so high. I love it. I don't remember the last time it's been like this. I was amped about D'Lo last year, but we all know how he divided the fan base. I've been a proponent of Luke as the future Lakers coach for some time and I'm thrilled to see him back.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject:

I like the hire even if just strictly on feel. The news brought a personal freshening of enthusiasm for the club's next couple seasons. Optimism ? Not quite yet, but hopefully that will come with an uptick in results in year one. I'm not anticipating miracles. Hell, anything above 35 wins in 2016-2017 I'll be calling success.
DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:47 pm    Post subject:

It also appears that despite the deadline, Jim Buss is willing to look at things in the long term. If he wanted to win now, JVG or Messina would probably be better choices.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject:

There's renewed optimism every offseason. This one is no different. We'll see if we can get the pick and what offseason roster changes we make.
Lakers2015
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
There's renewed optimism every offseason. This one is no different. We'll see if we can get the pick and what offseason roster changes we make.

This is absolutely different because we hired a real basketball coach.

Even without a max player we'll be much better just by the fact we have a compatent coach leading this team.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject:

It's much better this time, ever since Phil retired, they've been going with sad retreads:

1) former fired Cleveland Cavs coach / high school football coach with dvds
2) former fired NY Knicks coach
3) former fired Cleveland Cavs coach / Time Warner studio commentator

(bleep) they like going with former Cleveland Cavs. True, Luke Walton was a former Cav, but technically it wasn't his choice.

No more retreads for once.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject:

Renewed optimism to get ...

KEVIN DURANT

#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject:

I'm excited to see the young guys play moving forward. I'm excited to see what our offense is going to look like. I know we are rock bottom, but it's a great time to be a Laker. I feel like stealing money from a vending machine, Luke Walton style. Who's with me?!?!?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject:

Lakers2015 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

This is absolutely different because we hired a real basketball coach.

Even without a max player we'll be much better just by the fact we have a compatent coach leading this team.

I didnt say the reason for renewed optimism was the same. Just saying every offseason brings it, for different reasons.

This year, thus far, it starts with a new coach.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject:

This summer will be epic!!
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject:

the difference between Luke Walton and the last three hires is that he has a good/solid (although relatively brief) track record with NO major blemishes.

That's big.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: