OFFICIAL ANTHONY BROWN THREAD - (WAIVED - p49; WAIVED AGAIN - p65)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dlo1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Dlo1 wrote:
LakeShow06 wrote:
I'm sorry but I don't get the 'love' for Anthony Brown. Brown has actually had a LOT of opportunities this year as a #30-something pick (especially for a Lakers team) and has really done squat with it. He rarely rates a mention in the boxscore ever and rarely seems to make any impact on the floor.

I've been patient with him too - although many said he had 'NBA-ready' shooting - but I just don't see it. He's too timid, not very athletic and doesn't seem to have any type of killer instinct or 'swag' about him

Exactly.

Brown came out as senior and is already 23 turning 24 this year... He should already be ready as a role player of some sort, yet like Black is never in the rotation. He is one year younger than R Kelly

Just like Danny Green? I'm sure the Cavs are glad they cut him. Hell, Draymond got some actual minutes and was trash his first year. The Warriors probably should have cut him as well.

Probably, because he would of been trash on the Cavs. Spurs are a different team, they have a fat Frenchman still relevant in the NBA and their core is 30 and over.... with Leonard

Anthony Brown is behind Nick Young and whoever we sign this offseason and Ingram/Simmons....
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:25 pm    Post subject:

Dlo1 wrote:
tox wrote:
Dlo1 wrote:
LakeShow06 wrote:
I'm sorry but I don't get the 'love' for Anthony Brown. Brown has actually had a LOT of opportunities this year as a #30-something pick (especially for a Lakers team) and has really done squat with it. He rarely rates a mention in the boxscore ever and rarely seems to make any impact on the floor.

I've been patient with him too - although many said he had 'NBA-ready' shooting - but I just don't see it. He's too timid, not very athletic and doesn't seem to have any type of killer instinct or 'swag' about him

Exactly.

Brown came out as senior and is already 23 turning 24 this year... He should already be ready as a role player of some sort, yet like Black is never in the rotation. He is one year younger than R Kelly

Just like Danny Green? I'm sure the Cavs are glad they cut him. Hell, Draymond got some actual minutes and was trash his first year. The Warriors probably should have cut him as well.

Probably, because he would of been trash on the Cavs. Spurs are a different team, they have a fat Frenchman still relevant in the NBA and their core is 30 and over.... with Leonard

Anthony Brown is behind Nick Young and whoever we sign this offseason and Ingram/Simmons....

He would have been trash on the Cavs because the Cavs are a second rate organization with no history of developing players. The Spurs aren't the only team in the league that can make guys better.

If you have that little faith in the Lakers org, then fine. That's a different story.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:20 am    Post subject:

Dlo1 wrote:
LakeShow06 wrote:

Exactly.

Sample size is still too small to write him off. That's why I'm holding off. You can't just write a rookie off and say his first season will be the same as his peak seasons. Players peak in their mid to late 20s.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject:

Lakers' Anthony Brown: No longer wearing walking boot

Quote:
Brown (foot) is no longer donning a walking boot, Mark Medina of the Los Angeles Daily News reports.
Brown was on the practice floor Sunday taking some flat-footed shots and generally seems to be progressing as expected from the stress reaction in his right foot. Even so, the Lakers still aren't expected to have him back this season, so Brown figures to end his first season in the league with averages of four points (on 31% shooting) and 2.4 rebounds over 20.7 minutes in his 29 appearances.

http://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/basketball/news/lakers-anthony-brown-no-longer-wearing-walking-boot/
Shaolin's Finest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject:

I don't see the fascination with Brown either. He didn't show anything in the minutes (granted they were sparse and inconsistent) he was given, and if I remember correctly he didn't exactly light it up in the preseason or summer league and he already played 4 years of college ball. The majority of second round picks flame out anyways, and I don't see what is so special about Brown to prove otherwise. Given our recent track record in the draft, I won't write him off completely, I think he can definitely develop into a player in this league, but I don't see anything special about him that separates him from other second round picks.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject:

Shaolin's Finest wrote:
I don't see the fascination with Brown either. He didn't show anything in the minutes (granted they were sparse and inconsistent) he was given, and if I remember correctly he didn't exactly light it up in the preseason or summer league and he already played 4 years of college ball. The majority of second round picks flame out anyways, and I don't see what is so special about Brown to prove otherwise. Given our recent track record in the draft, I won't write him off completely, I think he can definitely develop into a player in this league, but I don't see anything special about him that separates him from other second round picks.

He really has done nothing of note but I think that he can become a serviceable NBA player.

This off-season and summer league play will be a crucial time for him to develop his skills and to define his worth as a player. As a second round pick the ball is in his court. I wish him well.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject:

Seems like he's well on his way to recovery. The goal for him now should be prevention. Hopefully the staff corrects whatever caused the fracture in the first place. Injury prevention and biometrics will go a long way in extending his career.

I'm not a fan of writing rookies off under any circumstances. I believe he was a victim of Byron's terrible offensive schemes and rotations. The pattern of playing him 30+ min one game against Durant and then DNP'ing him for the next 5 certainly didn't help establish continuity and rhythm. I can't see any other second rounder thriving under the same circumstances. Josh Richardson is beasting in Miami because Spoelstra is consistent in playing him.

I think a guy like Luke (and other staff additions) can Danny Green him. We won't know until next season.
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:02 am    Post subject:

Shaolin's Finest wrote:

I disagree. He showed that he is a good defender. And we know he can shoot.
As with several other players (most of them?) Byron has done nothing to help him succeed.
Minutes distribution, no plays called for shooters, horrible defensive rotations, from D-League to cover all-stars. Just too much to ask from a second-round rook to overcome by himself.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:49 am    Post subject:

s_habe wrote:
Shaolin's Finest wrote:

As with several other players (most of them?) Byron has done nothing to help him succeed.
Minutes distribution, no plays called for shooters, horrible defensive rotations, from D-League to cover all-stars. Just too much to ask from a second-round rook to overcome by himself.

I somewhat agree with both of you guys.

He didn't prove he can shoot the NBA three and he had a lot of open looks shooting really poorly. It seems like he did a better job faking the shot and going to a midrange pull up.

What got my attention was his team defense. When he had a chance to play with Bass and Nance we had some nice stops, something we don't see often with our roster.

Taking into consideration his inconsistent playing time and role, I think he deserves one more year to show what he can do.

Hitting the open threes he has a role in this league.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:
s_habe wrote:
Shaolin's Finest wrote:

I somewhat agree with both of you guys.

He didn't prove he can shoot the NBA three and he had a lot of open looks shooting really poorly. It seems like he did a better job faking the shot and going to a midrange pull up.

What got my attention was his team defense. When he had a chance to play with Bass and Nance we had some nice stops, something we don't see often with our roster.

Taking into consideration his inconsistent playing time and role, I think he deserves one more year to show what he can do.

Hitting the open threes he has a role in this league.

Either way as I stated earlier; this off-season and summer league play will be a crucial time for him to develop his skills and to define his worth as a player. The ball is in his court as only time will tell.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject:

I have zero doubt that Brown has an NBA caliber three ball. The stroke is pure and the range is fairly effortless. He's just caught on the same mental treadmill that many rookies are: He started off rushing the shot because of the increased speed and length of NBA defenders, and that not only didn't work, it caused him to question his shot. So now, he is mostly overthinking it and not just letting it fly. When he gets comfortable knowing before getting the ball whether he wants to shoot, and just lets it go, he will improve markedly.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject:

Hopefully we see that Danny Green game I think he can bring.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:24 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
I have zero doubt that Brown has an NBA caliber three ball. The stroke is pure and the range is fairly effortless. He's just caught on the same mental treadmill that many rookies are: He started off rushing the shot because of the increased speed and length of NBA defenders, and that not only didn't work, it caused him to question his shot. So now, he is mostly overthinking it and not just letting it fly. When he gets comfortable knowing before getting the ball whether he wants to shoot, and just lets it go, he will improve markedly.

I can agree with this. I'm willing to give the kid some time. The great part about him is he knows his role.

I still wish there was a way to swap him with Justin Anderson who pretty much has the same game but more athleticism
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Dilla_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject:

Going in to last year's draft one of Brown's strengths listed was his three point shooting, this season has been a hard season for Brown from not playing at all and then getting put in to the starting line-up against the likes of OKC because Kobe was absent. But then Brown would get taken out of the line-up again and he didn't really get a run in the team but when he did play his three point shooting was inconsistent I know that is expected because he's a rookie. Luke has been apart of the Warriors coaching set-up for the last couple of years and their three point shooting is brilliant from Curry to Klay and even Green at times. I would imagine the Luke done a lot of work with the Warriors regarding three point shooting in training etc, I think Brown could potentially benefit from it.
Deathstroke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject:

I really wasn't impressed with Brown this season. He didnt show me much. His confidence looked very poor.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject:

Dilla_ wrote:
Going in to last year's draft one of Brown's strengths listed was his three point shooting, this season has been a hard season for Brown from not playing at all and then getting put in to the starting line-up against the likes of OKC because Kobe was absent. But then Brown would get taken out of the line-up again and he didn't really get a run in the team but when he did play his three point shooting was inconsistent I know that is expected because he's a rookie. Luke has been apart of the Warriors coaching set-up for the last couple of years and their three point shooting is brilliant from Curry to Klay and even Green at times. I would imagine the Luke done a lot of work with the Warriors regarding three point shooting in training etc, I think Brown could potentially benefit from it.

Brown's job was to watch everyone else hoist in Byron's iso-heavy offense this season. There were sequences where he didn't touch the ball for 2-3 minutes straight. That's unacceptable.

I suspect he'll do much better in an equal opportunity, read&react system. Part of the reason he struggled is the flow thing you talked about. He has to touch the ball and feel involved.

The nice part about his game is that he's a willing passer. His triple threat stance is actually solid.

I still believe in him. The best is yet to come.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject:

Anthony Brown should be happy as (bleep) that Walton was hired. He will see the ball a lot more to do ball movement and screens. He probably would have been out of the league in two years if Byron was still the coach lol. This may have saved his career.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
Anthony Brown should be happy as (bleep) that Walton was hired. He will see the ball a lot more to do ball movement and screens. He probably would have been out of the league in two years if Byron was still the coach lol. This may have saved his career.

I think practicing his jumper, improving his speed, and gaining 10-15 pounds of muscle will save his career.
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
Rivershow wrote:

I think practicing his jumper, improving his speed, and gaining 10-15 pounds of muscle will save his career.

That's captain obvious. That's pretty self explanatory but all of that doesn't matter if you don't get the ball.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject:

I remember when people were complaining on draft night that he should have been drafted before Nance. And saying, "What are the Lakers doing? Nance would have probably been there in the 2nd round."

Once again the front office shows us why they are ahead of all of us when it comes to drafting players.

With that being said, I'd say we give the kid a chance. He missed a lot of threes last season and didn't take advantage of his little playing abilities, but it's a little too early to write him off yet. But yeah, he's definitely the most expendable of our young core.
ch3cky0selff00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
I remember when people were complaining on draft night that he should have been drafted before Nance. And saying, "What are the Lakers doing? Nance would have probably been there in the 2nd round."

Once again the front office shows us why they are ahead of all of us when it comes to drafting players.

With that being said, I'd say we give the kid a chance. He missed a lot of threes last season and didn't take advantage of his little playing abilities, but it's a little too early to write him off yet. But yeah, he's definitely the most expendable of our young core.

Definitely. There's a lot more to his game than just "3 & d" though.. I mean that's probably going to be his bread and butter.. but he's capable of putting the ball on the floor.

In an open offense? I think we'll see good results.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject:

Next season will provide a chance to get a fairer assessment of his ceiling since he'll be in a more competent system, on both ends. It's hard to predict what the Lakers do in the draft and free agency, but I wouldn't be surprised if he developed into a solid rotation player as early as next year.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject:

The team was so disorganized it's probably unfair to dog him for this season... but he looked bad.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:

Spurs didn't give up on Danny Green and Lakers have zero reason to give up on Anthony Brown.
Rawr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:07 pm    Post subject:

I still have lots of faith in Anthony. He showed very solid defense and has a great looking jumpshot mechanic. He showed flashes of being a very complete Ariza like player though maybe at the SG instead of the SF spots.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 25 of 67
Jump to: