OFFICIAL TARIK BLACK THREAD (Reported to sign with Rockets)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 64, 65, 66  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject:

it's always fascinating to watch a fringe NBA player get his fate determined by a new system or coach. Tarik goes from the doghouse to the Penthouse with Luke coming in. I can't imagine he'd ever be a starter unless we totally strike out in free agency but I could see him being a significant role player, sometimes not playing much, sometimes playing a big part in various games. These kinds of guys are really valuable to have around, they stay prepared, have a good attitude and if somebody gets injured, they can step in for a short period until the other guy gets back.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject:

deal wrote:
pio2u wrote:
#KeepTarik

Yep

Hope they do. The kid will be a great role player.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject:

HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
it's always fascinating to watch a fringe NBA player get his fate determined by a new system or coach. Tarik goes from the doghouse to the Penthouse with Luke coming in. I can't imagine he'd ever be a starter unless we totally strike out in free agency but I could see him being a significant role player, sometimes not playing much, sometimes playing a big part in various games. These kinds of guys are really valuable to have around, they stay prepared, have a good attitude and if somebody gets injured, they can step in for a short period until the other guy gets back.

That's Tarik in a nutshell. I am so glad that he and Luke have a history already in place.
TB has shown that he can be a solid young contributor too when given the opportunity.
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject:

Black is the next Green
PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:06 pm    Post subject:

The exit interview said they viewed him as part of the young core along with the draftees from the last 2 years. Should get a chance to come in and compete next year, and probably win, backup C spot.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:07 pm    Post subject:

15 wrote:
Black is the next Green

No Nance is and Luke has mentioned Nance before mentioning Randle or Clarkson. That's Luke's guy
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject:

15 wrote:
Black is the next Green

They don't even have a similar game. Totally different skill sets.
Cochese
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 10:01 pm    Post subject:

I hope he stays after Byron benched him all year for no reason. We could use a big man like him off the bench. We literally have no centers on the roster right now.
LakeShow06
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 10:45 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
15 wrote:
Black is the next Green

No Nance is and Luke has mentioned Nance before mentioning Randle or Clarkson. That's Luke's guy

Nance may be one of Walton's 'boys', but this is what he had to say about Randle in the most recent LA Times article:

Quote:
At power forward, can Randle mimic some of Green's success as a distributor, scorer and rebounder?

"I see it," Walton said. "Honestly, Julius can give us the freedom to do a lot of things because of his size and quickness. If he can develop other aspects of his game, that allows us to go small with him at center because he's strong enough to cover centers.

"That kid averaged 10 rebounds a game as pretty much a rookie? That's insane. This is a grown-man league. For someone in their first year playing to do that is obviously a big advantage to have."

So I really think Randle is his boy. I love that stuff from Luke on Randle. He sees 'it' within Randle too!

From the article, Luke mentions Russell, Randle, Clarkson and Nance in that order.
LakeShow06
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 10:50 pm    Post subject:

Back on topic tho.....I love Tarik Black.

In fact in 2014 when Tarik was an undrafted rookie playing for Houston and got cut so they could sign Josh Smith, I posted on here the Lakers should claim him and couldn't believe it when Mitch went out and did work almost straight away and got him. Byron really stunted his development. Black may only be a fringe (small-ball) starting C, but he is a prototypical, back-up big man that I REALLY hope is retained in this squad. Glad he has an established connection with Walton.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 10:57 pm    Post subject:

Id love black to take on a bogut role on the team.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 11:05 pm    Post subject:

Cochese wrote:
I hope he stays after Byron benched him all year for no reason. We could use a big man like him off the bench. We literally have no centers on the roster right now.

14-15 came down to Davis or Black and the team chose to let Davis go. The coach then proceeds to stash Black away for no reason. So we went from Davis AND Black to Sacre/Hibbert. Such a stupid, idiotic, f'ng moronic coach we had. Byron makes me wish we didn't have a language filter. (bleep).
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 11:21 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
Cochese wrote:

14-15 came down to Davis or Black and the team chose to let Davis go. The coach then proceeds to stash Black away for no reason. So we went from Davis AND Black to Sacre/Hibbert. Such a stupid, idiotic, f'ng moronic coach we had. Byron makes me wish we didn't have a language filter. (bleep).

Uhm. I think Portland gave Davis a deal. Lakers wanted some time for the whole LMA FA fiasco. Lakers wanted David, but Davis couldnt wait.
jjangx27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 2:23 am    Post subject:

so glad Black is a RFA...pretty much a lock to return unless some team goes crazy
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 7:19 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
Cochese wrote:

Uhm. I think Portland gave Davis a deal. Lakers wanted some time for the whole LMA FA fiasco. Lakers wanted David, but Davis couldnt wait.

Yup, that was the problem. They were F'ing around with a player who was never going to come here and lost a player we had right under our noses.

I miss big Ed. And see how he is playing with a real coach in a real system. He could have been big for us on a cheap contract.

We better not make the same mistake with Tarik.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 7:23 am    Post subject:

We dropped the ball with Davis. He's like their Bogut now.

Portland will lock him up for years to come.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
15 wrote:
Black is the next Green

I don't think the mentioning order is relevant at all lol. He talked about Randle's potential last year when he got hurt.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject:

I miss Ed Davis. Dude played great here.
Too bad he didn't want to play for Byron Scott, I don't blame him.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject:

Very intrigued to see how Tarik fares in a real system with a coach that ain't trippin.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
I miss Ed Davis. Dude played great here.
Too bad he didn't want to play for Byron Scott, I don't blame him.

Davis... Lin... Bazemore... if we still had these guys we wouldn't be squabbling in the free agent thread.

I think the FO realizes they messed up. They won't let the same mistake happen with Black if Luke has any say in it.
evetssteve10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject:

Eindhoven wrote:
deal wrote:
pio2u wrote:
#KeepTarik

Yep

Hope they do. The kid will be a great role player.

I'm so glad other people see the potential in this kid that I do and I think playing for Luke would be so good for him. Why Byron never unleashed him I will never understand
"Bryant has been the second best player in the NBA for over a decade, but the number 1 player changes every other year. Somehow the number 1 player always seems to fall down the list but Kobe just never moves up. ". The Art of Hating Kobe Bryant
67ShelbyGT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
15 wrote:
Black is the next Green

Son of former nba player, intangibles, unselfish ball... I could see them developing instant comradarie. Hope Luke considers the young core as DLo, Randle, JC, Nance, Tarik, on the fringe ABrown.
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject:

I had to bump this thread. With all the speculation and trade scenarios bouncing around since the lottery, I feel like Tarik Black has been overlooked a tad. I'm not delusional, I realize he's slightly unproven with the way BS used him this last regular season. But I'm excited to see him play for Luke. A lot of people in this thread feel the same way, so I wanted to have the conversation continue, post draft lottery.

I think (rather hope) the need for a quality center to fit in the system isn't as desperate as I'm reading in most of these threads now. What do you guys think?
PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject:

Legacy wrote:
I had to bump this thread. With all the speculation and trade scenarios bouncing around since the lottery, I feel like Tarik Black has been overlooked a tad. I'm not delusional, I realize he's slightly unproven with the way BS used him this last regular season. But I'm excited to see him play for Luke. A lot of people in this thread feel the same way, so I wanted to have the conversation continue, post draft lottery.

I think (rather hope) the need for a quality center to fit in the system isn't as desperate as I'm reading in most of these threads now. What do you guys think?

We do need a starting caliber C. But I feel Black will be an excellent backup C for us. Hustle, rebounding, decent D, crowd and team energizing jams, setting good picks, etc..

That being said, anyone know for sure he is a RFA so we get first crack if we want him back?
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject:

Keep TB! He is going to thrive in the Luke system. Remember THE BLOCK in the Kobe 60 game?

We need more players like him. He is quick, mobile, has hops and focuses on defense. He will be deadly on the pick and role with DLO. And on top of all that, he won't break the bank.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 64, 65, 66  Next
Page 40 of 66
Jump to: