Magic Johnson will mentor and work with D'Angelo Russell on and off court
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject:

Magic's still my fave player of all time. What a blessing it was to see him play in the 80s...
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 11:56 am    Post subject:

There has never been a more dominant pass first player, and there never will be.
LoyalLakerfan44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Magic Johnson will mentor and work with D'Angelo Russell on and off court

MJST wrote:
Earvin Magic Johnson
Laker Nation: I had a really good lunch meeting with D'Angelo Russell!
4:57 PM - 1 May 2016
https://twitter.com/MagicJohnson/status/726923453186478080

In my meeting with D'Angelo Russell, he picked my brain about the PG position and I'm looking forward to working out with him this summer!
4:59 PM - 1 May 2016
https://twitter.com/MagicJohnson/status/726923920733949952

Laker Nation: I'm looking forward to being a mentor to D'Angelo Russell on and off the court.
5:02 PM - 1 May 2016
https://twitter.com/MagicJohnson/status/726924762413289472

This is fantastic news!!!!

I can just see this young arrogant whippersnapper yell at Magic; "you ain't seen nothing yet"
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject:

I don't see many similarities in their respective games, but can't hurt I guess.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI&lc=LGCZU4knf18jP6MYsd1n7y_6NAzLouXDJyZlnYaJ9o0

Russell's new mentor. Learn it, know it, live it. By January, the kid is going to be doing everything you see here.

Those were some awesome days!! Best era for basketball on any level. That was a team to love, pure excitement. And as much as I loved Kobe at his peak, the Showtime team was the best. You never knew who was gonna dominate on any day but you knew that Magic was the conductor!

Agreed.
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject:

Can Magic still run around on the court? I know he's put on some weight.

I'm serious....Or will he more likely just advise DLo rather than actually suit up and play with or against him?
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
DLO: So Magic (while DLO slightly adjusts his shirt with the odd lump in it)...did you sleep with more women than Wilt?

THE FACT THAT THIS HAS NOT BEEN QUOTED WITH A IS A DISGRACE...SHAME ON YOU ALL
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject:

anpherknee wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
DLO: So Magic (while DLO slightly adjusts his shirt with the odd lump in it)...did you sleep with more women than Wilt?

Sony just applied for a patent for a contact lens that takes pics.

It's Lit!
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject:

D-LO + Magic = perennial all-star on the court & cha-ching$$ off the court.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Magic Johnson will mentor and work with D'Angelo Russell on and off court

LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
MJST wrote:
Earvin Magic Johnson
Laker Nation: I had a really good lunch meeting with D'Angelo Russell!
4:57 PM - 1 May 2016
https://twitter.com/MagicJohnson/status/726923453186478080

In my meeting with D'Angelo Russell, he picked my brain about the PG position and I'm looking forward to working out with him this summer!
4:59 PM - 1 May 2016
https://twitter.com/MagicJohnson/status/726923920733949952

Laker Nation: I'm looking forward to being a mentor to D'Angelo Russell on and off the court.
5:02 PM - 1 May 2016
https://twitter.com/MagicJohnson/status/726924762413289472

This is fantastic news!!!!

I can just see this young arrogant whippersnapper yell at Magic; "you ain't seen nothing yet"

For a "loyal Laker fan" you sure are unnecessarily miserable at every turn, even if you have to contrive scenarios out of thin air to do it. smh
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
anpherknee wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

It's Lit!

Another sponsorship for DLO in the bag!
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
anpherknee wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

It's Lit!

ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject:

That's cool, kind of like Bynum getting mentored by Kareem.
AC Green's V-Card
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject:

Daikatana wrote:
Now so far we have..

Magic - Russell for PG purposes

Next, we need some of the Showtime Cartel to come in and mentor some of the rest of the guys...

Worthy - Randle for post moves and quick spins.
Cooper - Clarkson to show him how to play damn defense...

Hmmm, no need for Byron, Rambis...

Although we really don't have a center Kareem can work with yet

AC Green to show Nick Young how to stay celibate.
Qsmiff
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI&lc=LGCZU4knf18jP6MYsd1n7y_6NAzLouXDJyZlnYaJ9o0

Russell's new mentor. Learn it, know it, live it. By January, the kid is going to be doing everything you see here.

What a great compilation npz....some of those memories brought tears....allergies of course...lol....younger Laker fans that didn't get to see #32 conduct his orchestra gotta make this click....the real difference between Kobe and Magic....during his time Kobe was the face of the Lakers, during his time ......Magic was the face of L.A.....good news to hear....and you know with Luke as the coach, there'll be no way Kobe stays away
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
Wino wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

Those were some awesome days!! Best era for basketball on any level. That was a team to love, pure excitement. And as much as I loved Kobe at his peak, the Showtime team was the best. You never knew who was gonna dominate on any day but you knew that Magic was the conductor!

Agreed.

The Lakers during the 80's was must-see-TV. Every night was like the Oscars with Chick Hearn as the M.C. No doubt the best and most beautiful basketball I've ever seen played.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
anpherknee wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

It's Lit!

Google has the perfect product for D'Lo
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:

Until you draft Ben Simmons and Russell becomes the Byron Scott of showtime 2.0 😳

Seriously, Ben is more like magic on the break than Russell is. Russell's nice on the break but is a savant passing in halfcourt.

This really makes me miss magic. He's the reason I started watching basketball. Favorite player of all time...I think Russell is going to be #2 when its all said and done.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:02 pm    Post subject:

Love magic but this seems odd.
Jenn
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
Wino wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

Agreed.

The Lakers during the 80's was must-see-TV. Every night was like the Oscars with Chick Hearn as the M.C. No doubt the best and most beautiful basketball I've ever seen played.

So true. I was in attendance at the Forum when Magic played his first preseason game. In those days, you could hear Chick's play-by-play throughout the building. The VERY FIRST time that Magic had the ball coming down the court, he put a move on the defender, and the defender lost a sneaker. He LITERALLY faked a guy out of his shoe. You can imagine how Chick "went off" on that play! And we all remember what happened on the other end of that season...
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject:

DLO sought him out... not the other way around. Nothing odd about it. They had a meeting, hit it off and Magic wants to try and help the kid. Magic may have an agenda and say really stupid things. But in the end, he is a diehard Laker fan. If he can help, he's going to help. It just make it hard to ask him for help because he's been such a public arse about so many thing.
Worthy42
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject:

silkwilkes wrote:
DLO sought him out... not the other way around. Nothing odd about it. They had a meeting, hit it off and Magic wants to try and help the kid. Magic may have an agenda and say really stupid things. But in the end, he is a diehard Laker fan. If he can help, he's going to help. It just make it hard to ask him for help because he's been such a public arse about so many thing.

"You want to play the game like you got eyes in da back of your head D'Angelo. When you make that pass, make it with styyyle. Get your teammates support by getting them the ball and make yourself great by winning games young'in!"

DLO: Thanks Magic.

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject:

Mindripper2000 wrote:
MIMLaker wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
If DLO was smart he would learn off court lessons too. For one, the pitfalls of being a star in LA. And two, how to be successful and make money outside of basketball.

The young Lakers are so lucky that there are so many greats still associated with the organization. I mean not everyone gets offered mentoring and and not everyone wants it, but to be learning from Kobe one sec and Magic the next is amazing.

On-court skills mentor -- MAGIC

Off-court skills mentor -- AC GREEN.

DLo will NEVER get in trouble at that rate...

This always cracks me up:

Johnson fancied himself not merely an entertainer, but a maestro. "If you ever die and go to heaven, you want heaven to be Magic's house parties," said Frank Brickowski, a future Lakers teammate. "He would have the finest girls in L.A. there. The absolute finest. And at midnight you had to get busy with somebody or you had to get the (bleep) out. So if you were a guy, at midnight you'd get as close as you could to the hottest possible woman. Magic went around in this freaky voyeuristic way. He'd check on you. He'd go throughout the house, the pool. He'd order people to start doing things. All you had to be was near a chick. There were guys who would yell, 'Magic, she's not getting busy! She's not!' He'd run over and she'd get busy. Celebrity is seductive in L.A. Girls have this desperation about them, like moths to a flame. It's sad. But when you're young and single, fame matters."

Earv dished out groupie ho assists to his teammates. What's wrong with that? He was the ultimate assist man. Trust, Frank Brickowski wasn't gonna get laid without Earv's help. You gotta respect a wingman like Magic. I'll bet he even got Mitch laid at one of those parties. I'll bet the woman thought Mitch was very disturbing, too, but still.

Brick partied in his day too. He got in a jam involving yayo when he was with the Bucks. A few of them got busted on a trip to PHX. PHX po' po', one of those situations a la Worthy in Houston. Po' looking to arrest athletes from out of town. Meanwhile KJ7 is groping teenage girls with impunity.

Btw, yes, Frank Brickowski was a Laker in 86-87. Hard to believe, but it's true. A rare sight on the floor, like an albino alligator in the wild. He got traded to SA as part of the Mychal T deal. Mychal was happy to take Brick's place here, trust.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject:

Jenn wrote:

So true. I was in attendance at the Forum when Magic played his first preseason game. In those days, you could hear Chick's play-by-play throughout the building. The VERY FIRST time that Magic had the ball coming down the court, he put a move on the defender, and the defender lost a sneaker. He LITERALLY faked a guy out of his shoe. You can imagine how Chick "went off" on that play! And we all remember what happened on the other end of that season...

Totally awesome story. First preseason game, huh? (bleep). His first RS game at the Forum vs the Bulls has been floating around for awhile, there's gotta be a YT vid of it. There's a few of the typically redik passes in that one. He was actually pretty muted in the memorable first game at SD that Kareem won at the buzzer.

One of the clips I used in my video was a full court drive in PHX from the 1980 RS. It's kinda hard to figure why I used it for some viewers. I've been asked before. Why I used it was because it was a 94 foot drive. His foot on the inbound pass was a couple inches from the baseline and he just ran it all the way to the rim within a few seconds. On the way, he lost control and purposely bounced it between Garfield Heard's legs and retrieved it from behind him as Gar looks between his legs. Unfort, the up-close highlight of that play wasn't great because that view showed the Globetrottery aspect of that play. Purposely had presence of mind to pop it under a defender's legs. His recognition of broken plays and gaps in the defense was astonishing. He mended broken passes and turnovers in the blink of an eye if the ball came back to him. That shows his mind and skill better than the flashy full court no-look fastbreaks. Earv was every bit as clever as Bird, but you know how the sports media is biased towards the lunchbucket East and a white hero like Larry. He looks like the people who write and comment about hoops.

There's another game from 10/10/80 at SEA. It's one of the few games from the 1981 season that has managed to come out of hiding. There's a play where Magic and 3 teammates were up court and Kareem was flat-ass WALKING from the back court. Magic angrily throws his arm and yells, "COME OW!" at Kareem. It was a clip from the same year Airplane! came out and made fun of Kareem not hustling back on D.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: