Frank Vogel Officially Out in Indiana
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:09 am    Post subject: Frank Vogel Officially Out in Indiana

Quote:
Bird: "I’ve decided that it’s time for a new voice around here." Calls it "one of the toughest things I've done."

Stunning decision IMO. Vogel only overachieved with the Pacers. What a gift for Houston. They should sign him immediately.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject:

Damn, didn't expect this to happen. I'm guessing it doesn't take long for him to get another gig unless he wants a break.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject:

Pretty stupid. Talented coach. Decisions like this just stall the franchise for a couple years -- rare chance a coach comes in that is as good as Vogel. At least make an effort to give him some talent before you cut him.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject:

Next stop might be NYC. His tour of duty as a Lakers scout coincided with the Phil Jackson reign.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject:

Paul George might demand a trade now
richsmith
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject:

So not only does Bird basically fire him for overachieving with the mediocre roster he himself gave Vogel to work with (Kawhi-for-George-Hill anyone?), he then also reveals at the press conference that Vogel begged him for half an hour to reconsider his decision. Classy, Larry. Once a Celtic, always a Celtic.
LakersChamps04
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject:

yes yes...the plans in motion..next PG demands trade
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject:

oldschool32 wrote:
Damn, didn't expect this to happen.

Basketball Fan who posts a lot of non-Laker news posts on here is a Pacers fan. I wouldn't have known there was a coach issue were it not for her posts. But apparently a lot of the Fanbase has not been happy with Mr. Vogel. I agree with you, I think he'll get another gig quickly.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject:

Wouldn't have minded Vogel as Lakers coach if we hadn't gotten Luke. I wonder if we can steal him as an assistant.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject:

My guess if the front office probably thought the players were tired of hearing the same voice and needed a change. Problem is he overachieved with that roster, so I think whatever results happen won't come close to what they achieved under Vogel.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject:

Vogel to Houston and Blatt to Indy? I think Messina could do good work in Indy, as well, if they want to try to spice up their offense.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:

Basketball Fan who posts a lot of non-Laker news posts on here is a Pacers fan. I wouldn't have known there was a coach issue were it not for her posts. But apparently a lot of the Fanbase has not been happy with Mr. Vogel. I agree with you, I think he'll get another gig quickly.

He'll probably go on and have an even greater career at his next stop a la Carlisle.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject:

I think Frank ran his course here he lost the team when Hibbert went AWOL. and Lance well enough said. Nothing really changed as far as strategy/rotations. My issue with him was his unwillingness to adjust.

I can accept falling short but there's nothing Vogel did that made me think coaching strategy was why we won games.

That being said I actually would've been okay with Vogel staying if Bird is still here there is no point to giving him the boot if Bird is still around he needs to go too morseo than Vogel.

And yes I do think PG13 will probably bail first chance he gets.

Regardless of who they hire if this franchise wants championship aspirations they need to part ways with Bird too.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject:

Morey needs to be on the phone ASAP!
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject:

Let's bring Paul George HOME!
Do it Mitchell!
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:

A fanbase not happy with their coach? Are you sure?
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 6:22 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
TDRock wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:

A fanbase not happy with their coach? Are you sure?

I know, right?! #crazytalk
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 6:29 am    Post subject:

Bird usually makes sound decisions. I don't think this is one of them.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject:

I think it's just an example of the copy cat league. When teams began to see Golden State win and do so well without size or paint play, they felt they could win that way and build teams much easier that way than the more traditional balanced lineups. Indiana is just the latest. Bird went with a very guard heavy lineup last year and many guard heavy offseason moves. Vogel resisted running as much pace/space and offense that Bird seemed to want him to do with his moves in the offseason. I recall Paul George not wanting to move to 4, but they did use him at both spots this year and that's something Bird wanted.

So next coach will likely be someone like Stevens in Boston, or someone who wants to run the same style of offense GST is. Expect within 1-2 years a large portion of teams try to win playing GST type of ball.

Not surprised, but I think Vogel didn't deserve to get booted. However when your FO guys and head coach don't have the same vision on how they want the floor game played, it's rare it works out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject:

Quote:
When teams began to see Golden State win and do so well without size or paint play, they felt they could win that way and build teams much easier that way than the more traditional balanced lineups.

The Warriors are 9th in the league in points in the paint.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/05/06/report-knicks-have-reached-out-to-frank-vogel-to-judge-interest/

Quote:
Report: Knicks have reached out to Frank Vogel to judge interest

“So Frank, how do you feel about the triangle?”

Frank Vogel is not going to be unemployed for any longer than he wants. Larry Bird and the Pacers dumped him, but his ability to get teams to defend is going to have suitors lined up for his skills.

That includes the Knicks, reports Marc Berman of the New York Post.

The Knicks have made contact with the agent for Frank Vogel, but have not yet requested an interview, according to a source close to the former Pacers coach.

According to the source, Knicks GM Steve Mills has done his due diligence in contacting Vogel’s reps. He expressed that Phil Jackson has not made a decision on how to proceed. The key to the exploratory phone call was finding out whether Vogel would have interest in the job, and it seems he does.

Kurt Rambis is still considered the front-runner for the Knicks job.

Jackson has said he wants someone he knows, and someone committed to running the triangle offense. The Lakers did employ Vogel as an advanced scout during the Jackson era, but don’t confuse that with any relationship between the two. Also, while Vogel’s Pacers ran some triangle action during his tenure, that was while Brian Shaw was his assistant. And that’s very different than jumping in with both feet full time.

Vogel also reportedly has interest in the Rockets job, a team farther along the path to contending and with a more stable management structure. But the Knicks are at least making the call, it’s a start.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:
When teams began to see Golden State win and do so well without size or paint play, they felt they could win that way and build teams much easier that way than the more traditional balanced lineups.

I think he meant the traditional, slow pace, inside-out game where a big man backs up his man on every possession. When the Warriors score in the paint, it's mostly due to penetration by guards or rolls by the screener.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:40 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

I think he meant the traditional, slow pace, inside-out game where a big man backs up his man on every possession. When the Warriors score in the paint, it's mostly due to penetration by guards or rolls by the screener.

No championship team has played in that manner in over a decade so I'm not sure if GSW is the start of a revelation in that regard.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 7:35 am    Post subject:

Bird should have been fired not Vogul. He's the one that traded Leonard for Hill. Vogul was a great coach and had only one great player.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject:

Ironically Vogel means Bird in dutch
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: