How to fix the Lakers
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chekmatex4
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject:

lakurluv wrote:
As a coach at some point you have to assess all of your players not only individually but collectively, do they jell/mesh well as a team on and off the court. In the case of the Lakers it's apparent that on the court there is simply not a good mesh. Not only is the coaching bad right now, but the players are bad. The youngsters definitely have some talent, but it doesn't seem as though they're getting enough time on the floor to learn to play together.
Players seem to be out of position and there is some redundancy, at some positions and the Coaches aren't molding the players the correct way.

How to fix the Lakers it's simple!
Play the youngsters all season, sit or trade anyone else. Let them play without a true 7 footer in the middle if need be, we're loosing every game anyway. Play Russell/Clarkson/Randle/Nance/Kobe and let them run the floor together and bring Brown off the bench.

Get rid of everyone else except for maybe Black and do a total rebuild next year. Actually you can keep Bass, I think he's a keepr, Lou Will can stay also. Hibbert and Young have to go especially along with Kelly/Clarkson/Huertas and whoever else is shoring up the bench and DNP list.

Look to build through the draft and free agency next year is the best we can hope for. This is how you rebuild and FIX this team. After all of that is done, find a LEGITIMATE Coach who can build a system for these young kids before it's too late...

I agree with you. Russell plays more like a shooting guard than playmaking point guard. I can see him develop more into a Brandon Roy / James Harden type of player. Problem is, Clarkson also plays more like a shooting guard. I wonder what the trade market is like for Clarkson to bring a high upside player at SF or C. I'm also not a big fan of Randle. He tries to over power players when he is undersized.
chekmatex4
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject:

With the upcoming draft, I started to think of creative moves to keep the draft picks. If Lakers get the #1 pick in 2016 draft and Sixers get #2, I would ask the Sixers if they want to swap picks and change the 2017 protection on the Lakers pick they currently hold from 1-3 protection to 1-24 protection (2018 will be left unprotected). This means that Lakers would likely keep their 2017 pick and give the 2018 pick to the Sixers. It impacts Orlando severely as Lakers would then have to convey 2nd round picks instead of a first round pick.

L.A. Lakers' 1st round pick to Philadelphia (via Phoenix) protected for selections 1-3 in 2016 and 1-3 in 2017 and unprotected in 2018

If at least two years after the L.A. Lakers conveyed a 1st round pick to Philadelphia, then the L.A. Lakers' 1st round pick to Orlando protected for selections 1-5 in 2018 and unprotected in 2019; if the L.A. Lakers have not conveyed a 1st round pick to Philadelphia by 2017, then the L.A. Lakers will instead convey their 2017 2nd round pick and 2018 2nd round pick to Orlando
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject:

How would Orlando be compensated for an action that could severely impair the draft pick owed to them?

The 2017 Draft is highly regarded at the moment, so why would Philadelphia do something that would very likely delay the pick obligation until 2018?
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:22 pm    Post subject:

Since most of these are a bit of a stretch, I'll offer my own:

Despite their record the Cavs are a mess, Irving wants out, Love is a bad fit - even when he is healthy, Lue as head coach, hmm.. I wonder if Lebron ever heard the saying: "You can't go home again"?

Same with the Thunder, they are a mess, lost tonight to Minny, I am not convinced that Durant likes playing second fiddle to alpha-male Westbrook, and that team has been getting worse the last 4 years - NOT better!

So how about Durant & Lebron making the big move and reinventing themselves in Los Angeles? Lakers have the cap space, just need a decent center and a few vet's and they would be instant contenders!
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:28 am    Post subject:

It appears that the FO and Coaching Staff are trying to bring along the youngsters which is great. I honestly believe that Coach Scott might not be the right man for this job. The problem is that the seeds have already been sown and the young guns would have to totally redo everything in terms of learning a new system and getting to a new coach and his ways. As much as I love coach Scott for all he's done for the Lakers, his own ego might have gotten in the way of the youngsters development at times.

They have proven that they can compete at a high level. It's important for them to play high minutes from this point forward to get use to closing out games and the rigors of the league.

Areas of Need:
Small Forward/Wing Player who's a capable defender and offensive threat.
Center/Who is an impact defender, can rebound the ball and clog the lane

Free Agent Targets:

DeMarr DeRozan and Hassan Whiteside. Everything and everyone else should not even be a consideration, not even Kevin Durant unless he calls the Front Office and says "Hey Mitch, Jim, Jeannie, I want to be a Laker for Life". Outside of that happening everything else is a waste of time.

Draft Targets:
Ben Simmons - Could easily be our SF of the Future and if we were to add DeRozan he could run the 2 spot and bring Russell or Clarkson off the Bench or we can go small ball with all of them in the game and Simmons and Randle as our Front Court. Either way that's a team built for the future with a ton of youth and athleticism.

Front Office:
I would actually keep Mitch, but Jim has got to go!!! Get to work Jeannie!

The key to all of this is being able to execute through Free Agency and the Draft. It won't be easy but the FO has got to come up with a strategic plan and execute it. That can fix this team no doubt!
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject:

lakurluv wrote:
It appears that the FO and Coaching Staff are trying to bring along the youngsters which is great. I honestly believe that Coach Scott might not be the right man for this job. The problem is that the seeds have already been sown and the young guns would have to totally redo everything in terms of learning a new system and getting to a new coach and his ways. As much as I love coach Scott for all he's done for the Lakers, his own ego might have gotten in the way of the youngsters development at times.

They have proven that they can compete at a high level. It's important for them to play high minutes from this point forward to get use to closing out games and the rigors of the league.

Areas of Need:

Free Agent Targets:

DeMarr DeRozan and Hassan Whiteside. Everything and everyone else should not even be a consideration, not even Kevin Durant unless he calls the Front Office and says "Hey Mitch, Jim, Jeannie, I want to be a Laker for Life". Outside of that happening everything else is a waste of time.

Draft Targets:
Ben Simmons - Could easily be our SF of the Future and if we were to add DeRozan he could run the 2 spot and bring Russell or Clarkson off the Bench or we can go small ball with all of them in the game and Simmons and Randle as our Front Court. Either way that's a team built for the future with a ton of youth and athleticism.

Front Office:

The key to all of this is being able to execute through Free Agency and the Draft. It won't be easy but the FO has got to come up with a strategic plan and execute it. That can fix this team no doubt!

"Areas of Need" encompasses more than a positional perspective. The Lakers have court-wide qualitative needs: defensive presence in half court around the perimeter, defensive presence in transition, defensive rebounding, picking/blocking, three point shooting. If the team were to acquire a significantly-priced free agent whose game does not address several of these qualities, it's probably not a smart move.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject:

lakurluv wrote:

Areas of Need:

Free Agent Targets:

Draft Targets:

Front Office:

Great post, I agree, two thumbs up...
chekmatex4
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 10:22 pm    Post subject:

lakurluv wrote:

Areas of Need:

Free Agent Targets:

Draft Targets:

Front Office:

Really good summary. This would help build a competitive team.
chekmatex4
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 10:48 pm    Post subject:

Here are free agents I think Lakers management should target.

Tier 1 - Superstar

Kevin Durant

Tier 2 - All-Stars

Hassan Whiteside
DeMar DeRozan
Al Horford

Tier 3 - Above average role players

Jordan Clarkson
Harrison Barnes
Chandler Parsons
Nicolas Batum

Tier 4 - Role Players

Evan Turner
Jeff Green
Gerald Henderson

Tier 5 - Veterans and Bench

Mo Williams
Bismack Biyombo
Solomon Hill
Chase Budinger
Steve Blake
Aaron Brooks
Kirk Hinrich
Jordan Hill
Ian Mahinmi
Tarik Black
Festus Ezeli
Allen Crabbe
Tayshaun Prince
DJ Augustin
Miles Plumlee
Ramon Sessions
Elton Brand
Aphex Twin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject:

Randle and Clarkson + fillers for Cousins
Russell plus 1st-rounder for George
Sign Conely and Whiteside
chekmatex4
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject:

Aphex Twin wrote:
Randle and Clarkson + fillers for Cousins
Russell plus 1st-rounder for George
Sign Conely and Whiteside
While I'm not opposed to a trade like this, I think it would take more to get either Cousins or George and Lakers wouldn't be able to trade for both.

With that said, I think you need players on rookie contracts to contribute if you want to win a championship under the soft hard cap NBA has. My preference would be to build as many assets as possible now by keeping the pick, keeping the young players, and signing some valuable free agents (Whiteside, DeRozan, etc.). You then have more assets to trade in mid-December.
chekmatex4
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject: Offseason Targets

Looks like Lakers will not be meeting with Durant or DeRozan. I think Lakers have to go all in on Whiteside and get him ($22M). Once they get Whiteside, they should start looking for value players who fit the SF/PF role. I think Barnes will be overpaid and would focus on Jeff Green and Marvin Williams at around $15M each. I would then look for a backup PG for $5-7M and would look at Chalmers or Augustin. Then you can sign/resign Ingram, Kelly, Clarkson, and Black. Lakers should look to trade Young this offseason as well.

PG: Russell, Augustin or Chalmers
SG: Clarkson, Williams, Young
SF: Ingram, Brown, Green
PF: Randle, Nance, Williams, Kelly
C: Whiteside, Black, Zubac
ricojamie
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:04 pm    Post subject: Swaggy Pariah

Just so you all know, Nick Young has no value to any NBA team regardless of how team friendly his contract might appear. The only way to remove him from the roster is to cut/stretch/or pay another team to take him.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: