Lakers players off season training

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 7:14 am    Post subject: Lakers players off season training

Just wondering...

What is Tarik Black working on in the off season? Is he just working out in the weight room? Is he seriously working on his mid range shot? I mean, it's not like a big would spend all summer practicing boxing out.

I wish there were more video clips of the Lakers players working out, especially working on their shooting. It would be nice to see clips of Randle with an improved shooting stroke knocking down outside shots. We saw one recently of Clarkson working on his 3 ball. I would love to see clips of Nance working on his shooting.

I work not too far from the Lakers practice facility (Toyota Center) in El Segundo. Would we be allowed to go watch the random players working on their game? Would we be allowed to video them so we could post it here on LG? Would it even be possible to find out when these guys go in to work out?
Laker Intervention
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 7:53 am    Post subject:

Good thread. Would be nice to get footage. I'm a skills trainer myself, so I'm particularly interested in players' off-season improvements.

I know Jordan Clarkson works with Drew Whanlen who appears to be a solid skills trainer. I hope JC can focus on defense, as well as ability to pass off either hand in different angles when attacking the basket.
If he can continue to increase his pct from around the court then that would be great.

Russ works with Robbie Haught. I really hope Russ can become better off the ball. Has to get stronger and work on first step. Keep practicing the pick n roll and do situational training.
I also want him to improve his finishing around the rim to be able to score either hand on either side of the backboard. Also want him to work on off-ball shooting if Luke installs some of the same sets the Warriors use.

Nance and Randle have to really get better at the midrange game and stretch floor as much as possible. Randle also has to obviously become a threat with his right hand and going right. Would like him to become a better on ball defender. He needs to use early summer for form shooting and tweak some mechanics and then build muscle memory with repetition on his shot the rest of the off-season.
I'd also like to see Julius develop a simple 1 dribble and 2 dribble pull-up. He'll beat guy off triple threat with that 1st step, but in the NBA he's not always going to get easy layups at the rim. If he can get to quick stops that would be great. I think Luke is going to do wonders for him in teaching him how to pass.

Hopefully videos can be posted. Some of these guys sometimes share snippets on their social media.
DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject:

Laker Intervention wrote:
Good thread. Would be nice to get footage. I'm a skills trainer myself, so I'm particularly interested in players' off-season improvements.

I know Jordan Clarkson works with Drew Whanlen who appears to be a solid skills trainer. I hope JC can focus on defense, as well as ability to pass off either hand in different angles when attacking the basket.
If he can continue to increase his pct from around the court then that would be great.

Russ works with Robbie Haught. I really hope Russ can become better off the ball. Has to get stronger and work on first step. Keep practicing the pick n roll and do situational training.
I also want him to improve his finishing around the rim to be able to score either hand on either side of the backboard. Also want him to work on off-ball shooting if Luke installs some of the same sets the Warriors use.

Nance and Randle have to really get better at the midrange game and stretch floor as much as possible. Randle also has to obviously become a threat with his right hand and going right. Would like him to become a better on ball defender. He needs to use early summer for form shooting and tweak some mechanics and then build muscle memory with repetition on his shot the rest of the off-season.
I'd also like to see Julius develop a simple 1 dribble and 2 dribble pull-up. He'll beat guy off triple threat with that 1st step, but in the NBA he's not always going to get easy layups at the rim. If he can get to quick stops that would be great. I think Luke is going to do wonders for him in teaching him how to pass.

Hopefully videos can be posted. Some of these guys sometimes share snippets on their social media.
I was watching Access Sportsnet and they showed clips of Clarkson working out at the Lakers facility, he was doing some crazy dribbling drill with two basketballs and working on his 3 ball.
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Lakers players off season training

Lakerpark wrote:
Just wondering...

What is Tarik Black working on in the off season? Is he just working out in the weight room? Is he seriously working on his mid range shot? I mean, it's not like a big would spend all summer practicing boxing out.

I wish there were more video clips of the Lakers players working out, especially working on their shooting. It would be nice to see clips of Randle with an improved shooting stroke knocking down outside shots. We saw one recently of Clarkson working on his 3 ball. I would love to see clips of Nance working on his shooting.

I work not too far from the Lakers practice facility (Toyota Center) in El Segundo. Would we be allowed to go watch the random players working on their game? Would we be allowed to video them so we could post it here on LG? Would it even be possible to find out when these guys go in to work out?

A few years back, the production company I work for would get contracted by the Lakers to work inside the Toyota center on occasion. From my experience, the only time fans off the street can see/interact with the players are when they arrive at the gate, and when they leave. If anything you can chat it up with willing players and ask them what they're working on.

BTW, best believe I stole a Lakers practice ball at one point. I'm damn proud of it too.
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject:

I cant watch too much Access Sportsnet, too much Dave Miller, but I am sure they will have footage during off season
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject:

I understand and share your passion for all things Lakers, but ... this isn't "The Truman Show." Would you want people to regularly record you while you work and then publish it for the world to see? Maybe you would, and I can tolerate that opinion. But I sure wouldn't want that.

These guys get so much airtime for 7-9 months out of the year. It seems reasonable to leave them to work in peace, save for maybe one 15-second Vine, and enjoy our summers while they enjoy theirs. Then we get to see how much they've changed in September.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject:

LuciusAllen wrote:
I understand and share your passion for all things Lakers, but ... this isn't "The Truman Show." Would you want people to regularly record you while you work and then publish it for the world to see? Maybe you would, and I can tolerate that opinion. But I sure wouldn't want that.

These guys get so much airtime for 7-9 months out of the year. It seems reasonable to leave them to work in peace, save for maybe one 15-second Vine, and enjoy our summers while they enjoy theirs. Then we get to see how much they've changed in September.

This. I'm excited for next season too, but these guys do have a right to get away. Lol
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: