Is Lebron the most sour person ever?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject:

shnxx wrote:
the association wrote:
shnxx wrote:
Yeah I mean nothing here by itself is a big deal.
It's just that LeBron has a history of comments, which are consistently passive-aggressive
So most of his comments viewed through that lens fit nicely into that him being a passive-aggressive egomaniac, who refers to himself in third-person as the "King."

What is the source for the charge that he coined his own nicknames?

I looked into it, and the Chosen One nickname was apparently coined by SI on an early 2002 cover, when LeBron was barely 17 years old. See below ...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41ybeXgWdFL._SY300_.jpg

And the King James nickname was apparently coined collectively by Adidas and Nike when they were jockeying for his signature on an endorsement deal ... again, while he was still a 17 year old in high school. See below ...

http://espn.go.com/magazine/vol5no26next.html

So what's the source that suggests otherwise?

I'm not sure where it's from but he does have the phrase tattooed on himself, so it's not like he's not endorsing it.

Quote:

"OK, so James is going to be the NBA top draft pick come June, but he already refers to himself in the royal-third-person ("LeBron stays humble by just being LeBron"). And he also refers to himself as a "superhero" and as "Basketball Man." And even worse, after he dunks over an opponent, he's liable to shout "King James!" or "You sorry!""

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/rosen/021213.html

Quote:

In the soundbite above, James explains, "I wanted to do what was best, you know, for LeBron James, and what LeBron James was gonna do to make him happy."

Quote:
For example, a player recently told me LeBron had contacted him about possibly joining forces in the offseason, though he was cryptic about where he actually might play. The text began: "Yo, this is King James."
"I was like, 'Give me a break. You're going to call yourself that?' "the player said, on condition that his name not be used.
"Do you think Michael Jordan texts people by starting with, 'Yo, this is His Airness.' Come on, get over yourself."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/LeBron-James-gets-texting-all-wrong;_ylt=AhtgUCY.0EMCvMTMl8Wk6lO8vLYF?urn=nba-wp4765

Quote:
“Until you understand who Lebron James is, Lebron James is a win-win situation—and will continue to be a win-win situation,” (Lebron James).

Quote:

“I wanted to do what was best for LeBron James.” (4)

“I don’t think he ever cared about LeBron.” (4)

“LeBron is a champion, and LeBron deserves to play for a championship team.” (5)

“A LeBron James team is never desperate.” (4)

http://mudmosh.com/lebron-james-the-king-of-arrogance/

So I read two points in those links that don't seem to jive with whatever you're driving at above ...

1. SI very clearly appears to have bestowed the "The Chosen One" label on LeBron with that magazine cover when he was barely 17 years old ... it doesn't matter to me that he embraced the nickname others gave him after the fact, or that he has a tattoo with that nickname. Instead, the issue I have is that the people who seem to have an issue with LeBron for these petty matters tend not to have an issue with the fact that Kobe coined his own Black Mamba nickname (not to mention Vino AND Hero / Villain), referred to himself as such frequently, signed communications as such, and generally did all of what I see above and more ... well into his 30s and continuing to this day, in fact. So ... why the pass for someone doing all of that, but not for a 17 year old riding a nickname that others gave to him?

So the persistently snide comments re: "The Chosen One" appear to be hogwash. Unless there's a credible source out there (at least, one more credible than SI), that charge seems like a dud ...

2. The timeline in the ESPN link seems clear to me ... the quotes you cite above appear to have occurred sometime during the prep. of the article, probably weeks before it was published in December 2002. The article ALSO mentions an informal Cavaliers workout last "last Spring" (i.e., Spring 2002), after which Adidas and Nike produced a series of "King James" branded gear in attempts to induce LeBron to sign with them. As above, where is the source of the charge? In the absence of it, it sounds bogus to me.

Are the third-person quotations cringeworthy? Of course. But I don't see any source that shows where he's behind the nicknames. And a 17 year old has some leeway in my book to make choices that experience might prove to be less than ideal. The quotes are stupid, but I'm sure that's not the only stupid choice LeBron made 14 or 15 years ago.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:14 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Gotta love these jealousy threads. Kobe is trying to trademark his nickname, can't get more vain than that.

So by your logic, you're jealous of Kobe then.

You just don't get it. I don't think that the OP is jealous of Lebron, he is jealous of Lebron becoming a better player than Kobe. Not really the same thing.
shnxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 10:01 pm    Post subject:

the association wrote:
shnxx wrote:
the association wrote:
shnxx wrote:
Yeah I mean nothing here by itself is a big deal.
It's just that LeBron has a history of comments, which are consistently passive-aggressive
So most of his comments viewed through that lens fit nicely into that him being a passive-aggressive egomaniac, who refers to himself in third-person as the "King."

What is the source for the charge that he coined his own nicknames?

I looked into it, and the Chosen One nickname was apparently coined by SI on an early 2002 cover, when LeBron was barely 17 years old. See below ...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41ybeXgWdFL._SY300_.jpg

And the King James nickname was apparently coined collectively by Adidas and Nike when they were jockeying for his signature on an endorsement deal ... again, while he was still a 17 year old in high school. See below ...

http://espn.go.com/magazine/vol5no26next.html

So what's the source that suggests otherwise?

I'm not sure where it's from but he does have the phrase tattooed on himself, so it's not like he's not endorsing it.

Quote:

"OK, so James is going to be the NBA top draft pick come June, but he already refers to himself in the royal-third-person ("LeBron stays humble by just being LeBron"). And he also refers to himself as a "superhero" and as "Basketball Man." And even worse, after he dunks over an opponent, he's liable to shout "King James!" or "You sorry!""

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/rosen/021213.html

Quote:

In the soundbite above, James explains, "I wanted to do what was best, you know, for LeBron James, and what LeBron James was gonna do to make him happy."

Quote:
For example, a player recently told me LeBron had contacted him about possibly joining forces in the offseason, though he was cryptic about where he actually might play. The text began: "Yo, this is King James."
"I was like, 'Give me a break. You're going to call yourself that?' "the player said, on condition that his name not be used.
"Do you think Michael Jordan texts people by starting with, 'Yo, this is His Airness.' Come on, get over yourself."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/LeBron-James-gets-texting-all-wrong;_ylt=AhtgUCY.0EMCvMTMl8Wk6lO8vLYF?urn=nba-wp4765

Quote:
“Until you understand who Lebron James is, Lebron James is a win-win situation—and will continue to be a win-win situation,” (Lebron James).

Quote:

“I wanted to do what was best for LeBron James.” (4)

“I don’t think he ever cared about LeBron.” (4)

“LeBron is a champion, and LeBron deserves to play for a championship team.” (5)

“A LeBron James team is never desperate.” (4)

http://mudmosh.com/lebron-james-the-king-of-arrogance/

So I read two points in those links that don't seem to jive with whatever you're driving at above ...

1. SI very clearly appears to have bestowed the "The Chosen One" label on LeBron with that magazine cover when he was barely 17 years old ... it doesn't matter to me that he embraced the nickname others gave him after the fact, or that he has a tattoo with that nickname. Instead, the issue I have is that the people who seem to have an issue with LeBron for these petty matters tend not to have an issue with the fact that Kobe coined his own Black Mamba nickname (not to mention Vino AND Hero / Villain), referred to himself as such frequently, signed communications as such, and generally did all of what I see above and more ... well into his 30s and continuing to this day, in fact. So ... why the pass for someone doing all of that, but not for a 17 year old riding a nickname that others gave to him?

So the persistently snide comments re: "The Chosen One" appear to be hogwash. Unless there's a credible source out there (at least, one more credible than SI), that charge seems like a dud ...

2. The timeline in the ESPN link seems clear to me ... the quotes you cite above appear to have occurred sometime during the prep. of the article, probably weeks before it was published in December 2002. The article ALSO mentions an informal Cavaliers workout last "last Spring" (i.e., Spring 2002), after which Adidas and Nike produced a series of "King James" branded gear in attempts to induce LeBron to sign with them. As above, where is the source of the charge? In the absence of it, it sounds bogus to me.

Are the third-person quotations cringeworthy? Of course. But I don't see any source that shows where he's behind the nicknames. And a 17 year old has some leeway in my book to make choices that experience might prove to be less than ideal. The quotes are stupid, but I'm sure that's not the only stupid choice LeBron made 14 or 15 years ago.

I'm not sure where you get the notion that LeBron may have come up with the "chosen one" moniker (did anyone suggest that he did?) or why it matters an iota what the origin story behind the tattoo is.
shnxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 10:02 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Gotta love these jealousy threads. Kobe is trying to trademark his nickname, can't get more vain than that.

That is very strange logic indeed.

Here is a novel idea--basketball fans of one team often hate players on other teams (gasp! the horror!)
If your explanation for that is "jealousy," then you need to re-educate yourself on common use of the word, "jealousy."
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 10:29 pm    Post subject:

shnxx wrote:

I'm not sure where you get the notion that LeBron may have come up with the "chosen one" moniker (did anyone suggest that he did?) or why it matters an iota what the origin story behind the tattoo is.

I must have misunderstood your OP ... I thought you had attributed the monikers to him (i.e., that he had been the first to call himself those names). But, it sounds like we're in agreement that others began calling him "The Chosen One" and "King James" before he did so ...

However, I still don't get why you find it objectionable that he referred to himself in the third person as a 17 years old. Or ... has he done that more recently? And do you care that Kobe refers to himself as the Black Mamba or Vino, both of which he chose for himself, and neither of which make as much wordplay sense as "King James" anyway?

Bottom line, I guess I just don't quite understand having an ax to grind with someone for adopting a moniker apparently crafted by someone else ... and considering the fact that he's probably been the best player in basketball for 6 - 8 of the past ten years, hasn't he earned the right to use those names?

Anyway, my two cents ...
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Is Lebron the most sour person ever?

shnxx wrote:
Recent updates from the "King" James aka "Chosen One" according to Him (i.e. himself)

1. MVP "valuable" player up for debate.
2. Was heated over not being unanimous MVP in 2013
3. Coach of the year should've been Terry Scotts
4. Tells media he didn't watch MIA-TOR game 5, instead watched How the Grinch Stole the Christmas.

Looks like it will be another year where I root hard as hell against LeBron!

you are going strong and i like it.

I hate lebron myself, kudos for this thread.

One of the most annoying things about him is how he usually prefaces any of this a$$ comments by saying.. "i dont wanna comment on that" or saying he really doesnt have an opinion.. then he comments on it.. the media NEVER catches this and it cracks me up.

Look at the time he was complaining about the washington wizards thing when he was shooting a free throw. freaking HILARIOUS how salty he was about it.

The best part is here all these LeQueen fans defending him, he isnt the best player in the league anymore and i love it.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject:

If Lebron decided to take his talents to Hollywood, all is forgiven. Bring one back to LA-land Lebron and I won't be mad if you mind control KD to come with you.
Kazaam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject:

Seriously, you Laker fans defending Lebron just believe he was stating his opinion about how the meaning of MVP might mean something different??? It's funny, he never mentioned this when he was winning 4 of them...

Also, these Lebron fans were (bleep) and moaning about how poor Lebron didn't have his star players with him during last years finals, so the Warriors championship needs a asterisk. Yet now they disrespect his entire team, saying without him, they wouldn't sniff the playoffs. Sorry, can't have it both ways.

Jeez... at some point you guys have to realize that were not calling Lebron out because we are SCARED he's going to be better than Kobe.... cause he's never going to be better than Kobe and YES he's salty af, because he knows he's got a very small window to make good on that BS tattoo on his back.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject:

Kazaam wrote:

Also, these Lebron fans were (bleep) and moaning about how poor Lebron didn't have his star players with him during last years finals, so the Warriors championship needs a asterisk. Yet now they disrespect his entire team, saying without him, they wouldn't sniff the playoffs. Sorry, can't have it both ways. .

You're in the wrong thread. No one in this thread has expressed any opinion like this.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject: do

I just don't like Lebron. I dislike how he advertises himself as a person and how he plays basketball. He's an awesome ball player but (bleep) him.
shnxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Lebron the most sour person ever?

marga86 wrote:
shnxx wrote:
Recent updates from the "King" James aka "Chosen One" according to Him (i.e. himself)

1. MVP "valuable" player up for debate.
2. Was heated over not being unanimous MVP in 2013
3. Coach of the year should've been Terry Scotts
4. Tells media he didn't watch MIA-TOR game 5, instead watched How the Grinch Stole the Christmas.

Looks like it will be another year where I root hard as hell against LeBron!

you are going strong and i like it.

I hate lebron myself, kudos for this thread.

One of the most annoying things about him is how he usually prefaces any of this a$$ comments by saying.. "i dont wanna comment on that" or saying he really doesnt have an opinion.. then he comments on it.. the media NEVER catches this and it cracks me up.

Look at the time he was complaining about the washington wizards thing when he was shooting a free throw. freaking HILARIOUS how salty he was about it.

The best part is here all these LeQueen fans defending him, he isnt the best player in the league anymore and i love it.

rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

You just don't get it. I don't think that the OP is jealous of Lebron, he is jealous of Lebron becoming a better player than Kobe. Not really the same thing.

Please give me your mind reading through the interwebs powers.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
shnxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Please give me your mind reading through the interwebs powers.

She is a delusional old lady.

Please VLF, save your unsolicited psychoanalysis for your children.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject:

Let's look at other items from Lebron's resume:

1. He is allowed to get away with blatant fouls and travelling
2. He has committed some of the most blatant flops in recent memory, to the point where it became a meme (Lebroning)
3. Now he's complaining about teams being too physical with him (which he's done before) and him not getting flagrants called in his favor

Lebron is an all-time great, but he's also a spoiled brat and a drama queen. I hate how business and basketball are inseparable for him, and how he uses basketball as an opportunity to shamelessly market himself (the decision, his letter to Cleveland in 2014). He sees himself as a corporation, instead of leaving business in its place on the side like other great athletes. He is also the most overhyped athlete I've seen in over 20 yrs of following the NBA and NFL, and his Wall Street mentality is probably a big reason for that.
Fruscas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 3:34 am    Post subject:

Lebron is a spoiled brat, he's a nba refs love child and media golden boy, tha's why he pouts when curry takes the spotlight and his place as the best player in basketball
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: